katiedid
True Blue Farmgirl

601 Posts

Kate
West Jordan Utah
USA
601 Posts

Posted - Feb 11 2007 :  3:20:44 PM  Show Profile
I just watched "Holy Cow" on PBS. It is a documentary on the cow and the impact it has made on modern man's life and times...it showed an interview with the author of Fast Food Nation, the book, and it really piqued my interest..

Have any of you FarmGirls read it?
What are your thoughts on it?

Kate

my new blog http/www.theknifemakerswife.wordpress.com

kitchensqueen
True Blue Farmgirl

521 Posts

521 Posts

Posted - Feb 11 2007 :  3:46:25 PM  Show Profile
Both my husband and I have read it, and think it's a great book. Very informative and well-written.

http://apartmentfarm.wordpress.com

Opening in March 2007:
http://shadetreestudios.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Feb 11 2007 :  4:46:22 PM  Show Profile
You should see the documentary Fast Food Nation! It is so gross you'll think twice before going to McDonalds again! We rented it at our local video store.

Jewelry, art, baskets, etc.
www.willowartist.etsy.com
www.willowtreecreek.com
Go to Top of Page

Celticheart
True Blue Farmgirl

811 Posts

Marcia
WA
USA
811 Posts

Posted - Feb 11 2007 :  7:06:47 PM  Show Profile
I read Fast Food Nation a couple of years ago. Thought it was very good. I'll have to look for the documentary.

"I suppose the pleasure of country life lies really in the eternally renewed evidence of the determination to live." Vita Sackville-West

Go to Top of Page

Horseyrider
True Blue Farmgirl

1045 Posts

Mary Ann
Illinois
1045 Posts

Posted - Feb 12 2007 :  05:11:55 AM  Show Profile
I found the movie entertaining, but based on an extremely biased and prejudicial premise. Geez, you could do the same thing to any grocery store if all you ever bought were Cheetos, bologna, ice cream and pop. Go from a vegan diet to nothing but that, and see if you don't gain a bunch of weight and find yourself barfing in the parking lot one day.

Does this mean grocery stores should be regulated? Or perhaps that people should make intelligent choices when they shop there? Both fast food stores and grocery stores can only be expected to stock what people will buy. They're in BUSINESS. Vote with your dollars, and whether you go to fast food places or grocery stores, vote smart. They'll give you what you vote for because it's a BUSINESS, they want to stay in BUSINESS and make a profit for themselves and their shareholders.

I get really sick of people trying to pass responsibility for their choices on to others. If you don't want it, don't go there! But don't blame THEM for making you fat or sick when you go and make poor choices.
Go to Top of Page

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Feb 12 2007 :  07:34:41 AM  Show Profile
Mary ann - I agree with you. I thought the movie was intersting but also any person who consumed that many calories in a single day would have the same problems this guy did. It was very biased in many ways.

I do think Americans tend to "pass resposnibility" a lot too. That guy chose to eat three big macs with supersized fries and cokes a day. He didn't have too.

I teach in public schools and the big thing right now is obesity in Children. Mike Huckabee was our govenor and made all these changes in the lunch menues and food offerings in school. No more coke machines or vending machines eaither. Also they require BMI testing for all students enrolled in public schools. Personally I think the whole issue is a waste of state and federal money. Kids aren't getting FAT from school lunch. And school lunch is still just as "bad" for you and now it just tastes even worse. Kids who used the vending machines are just bringing it from home now. And I have seen girls in my school that are VERY timy get reports back from the BMI testing stateing that they were overweight or obese! So now we have a hugh problem with anorexia! Rediculous.

www.willowtreecreek.com
Go to Top of Page

laluna
True Blue Farmgirl

295 Posts

New York
USA
295 Posts

Posted - Feb 12 2007 :  2:51:59 PM  Show Profile
Loved the book Fast Food Nation - very well-written and it is very dense with information! The movie I believe you're all thinking about is actually titled SuperSize Me, in which filmmaker Morgan Spurlock ate nothing but McDonald's for a month. And say what you will about the bias of the movie, but it's closer to the way most Americans eat on any given day (maybe not McD's, but I'll bet just as much processed food and other restaurant food) than most people realize. Why do you think so many people have gotten so heavy and have acquired certain health problems over the past 40 years? I eat full-fat dairy (raw milk, actually), etc. and I don't have a weight problem - I just refuse to put processed food into my body. Before I let anything corss my lips, I think about not only how good it will taste but also what it actually is and what kind of effect it would have on me. I'm all about whole foods and eating as close to the source as possible. But that's just me.

(Oh, and now that I think of it, I do think they *also* made a movie based on Fast Food Nation, but the people above were referencing the action of SuperSize Me.)

I'm also a public school teacher and don't see investing in the health of our children as a "waste" of money at all. If anything, I feel that if parents are increasingly expecting us to do their jobs for them (and let's face it, many of them do), then programs that focus on students' health are an important part of the equation.

Edited by - laluna on Feb 12 2007 4:25:52 PM
Go to Top of Page

Woodswoman
True Blue Farmgirl

512 Posts

Jennifer
Altamont NY
USA
512 Posts

Posted - Feb 12 2007 :  4:22:47 PM  Show Profile
I read the book, Fast Food Nation. Definitely worth reading. I also saw the movie "Super Size Me". While what that guy did was pretty extreme, it did make me think a little more about fast food. I guess now I think twice before eating any of it!!
Jennifer
Go to Top of Page

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Feb 12 2007 :  4:49:17 PM  Show Profile
Oh I am not saying we shouldn't invest in the health of our children at all! Nor do I think it is a waste of money to see that our children are healthy. I think it is VERY important. My concern lies with the mandatory BMI testing in our public schools. EVERY child in any public school or state funded daycare is REQUIRED to have a BMI test done. A report is then sent out to parents. We have about 700,000 children in Arkansas schools. I think that the 280,000$ they are spending to send out these reports could be much better spent elseware! I have a girl in one of my HS classes that weighs 98 pounds and looks VERY thin! Her BMI report from the state said that she was OVERWEIGHT and at risk for becoming OBESE!!!! This girl was SO upset and crying and afraid she was FAT AND UGLY! THAT is what I think is a waste of money. I totally agree that removing vending machines and stuff was a smart move. I would however like to see money spent on better health edcation and even on providing more healty lunches. Go to http://bradford.k12.ar.us and you can click on this moths lunch menu for my school in the left hand menu. There is not much "healthy" on that menu! Keep in mind that the "salad" is DROWNED in ranch dressing.

www.willowtreecreek.com
Go to Top of Page

PocketFarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

119 Posts

Sarah
Utica New York
119 Posts

Posted - Feb 12 2007 :  5:18:41 PM  Show Profile
Fast Food Nation is an amazing book. I'm glad Farmgirls are reading it! None of my friends would. They said they'd rather not know. Frankly, I think the chapter about marketing to kids should be required reading for parents.
Go to Top of Page

MustangSuzie
True Blue Farmgirl

634 Posts

Sarah
New London Missouri
USA
634 Posts

Posted - Feb 12 2007 :  6:36:14 PM  Show Profile  Send MustangSuzie a Yahoo! Message
Gives a 21st century meaning to we are what we eat.

Blessings....
Sarah

"In our every deliberation, we must consider the impact of our decisions on the next seven generations." -From The Great Law Of The Iroquois Confederacy.

Go to Top of Page

laluna
True Blue Farmgirl

295 Posts

New York
USA
295 Posts

Posted - Feb 13 2007 :  1:48:12 PM  Show Profile
@Julie - Ah, my apologies, I must have glossed over your BMI comment the first time. Wow! I can't believe they've mandated that. Thankfully, we don't have anything like that here, which is surprising as I live in the state that loves to regulate just about everything. I too would rather see that kind of money invested in real, healthy food at schools (I personally refuse to eat in my school's cafeteria and my students think the food is gross as well).
Go to Top of Page

happymama58
True Blue Farmgirl

1210 Posts

Patti
Missouri
USA
1210 Posts

Posted - Feb 13 2007 :  1:57:24 PM  Show Profile
Okay, I'll throw my $.02 in. I do not think the government has any business regulating things that people do that do not impact other people. Smoking in public places? I'm all for a ban on that. Outlawing things like trans-fats or putting an extra tax on fast food, etc.? I think it's ridiculous. A friend told me we all pay for the effects of this in health care costs, but I think that's stretching it. If you go that far, you have to consider any behavior that has health risk and treat it the same. I have a real problem with that.

As for the book itself? I read it several years ago and loved it in a sort of "horrified" kind of way, if that makes sense. I didn't eat any fast food for months after that, and since then I've eaten significantly less fast food than at any other time in my life. BUT I've also made a conscious decision to not eat at restaurants very much, either. I'm not a fanatic, but between the high cost, the stuff that I know (from working in a restaurant a few years ago and from students who I have in class who talk about what goes on in the kitchen of even very, very "classy" places), and my love of simple family meals at home, I just don't like to eat out.

Some people search for happiness; others create it.

http://happymama58.typepad.com/my_weblog/

Please visit me at www.marykay.com/pmiinch
Go to Top of Page

sewgirlie
True Blue Farmgirl

1894 Posts

Sheryl-lyn
Calverton NY
USA
1894 Posts

Posted - Feb 13 2007 :  4:42:26 PM  Show Profile
There is a book called CHEW ON THIS which is the kid's version of FAST FOOD NATION. I have it in my classroom and we read about how the fast food market spends billions of dollars coming up with ways to get kids to become addicted to the food and the levels of begging that occur before a parent will finally break down and buy the kids McDonalds, or other fast food. It is well-written and the kids enjoy it. Does it make them change their ways? Probably not, but I know they think about it at least a little bit now.

Go to Top of Page

Woodswoman
True Blue Farmgirl

512 Posts

Jennifer
Altamont NY
USA
512 Posts

Posted - Feb 13 2007 :  5:12:33 PM  Show Profile
Sheryl-lyn,
I think it's so great that you are educating the kids about what is going on. The more they know, the more well-informed decisions they can make. "Knowledge is Power".
Jennifer
Go to Top of Page

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Feb 13 2007 :  8:52:12 PM  Show Profile
That sound like a cool book Sheryl-lyn I'll have to check on that! Laluna - no hurt feeling I probably wasn't all that clear.

www.willowtreecreek.com
Go to Top of Page

jo Thompson
True Blue Farmgirl

603 Posts

Jo
the mountainside of the Chugach in Alaska
USA
603 Posts

Posted - Feb 14 2007 :  11:12:42 AM  Show Profile
I heard someone say...... you shouldn't eat it unless your grandmother could recognize it! I'll go for that! jo

"life is drab without a lab"
http://homepage.mac.com/thomja/Anchorage/PhotoAlbum15.html
Go to Top of Page

Libbie
Farmgirl Connection Cultivator

3579 Posts

Anne E.
Elsinore Utah
USA
3579 Posts

Posted - Feb 14 2007 :  11:45:27 AM  Show Profile
Hey - that's a great rule to go by!