Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 **MaryJanesFarm Products & Merchandise
 WOW! Check out the new linens!!!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author **MaryJanesFarm Products & Merchandise: Previous Topic WOW! Check out the new linens!!! Next Topic
Page: of 2

happymama58
True Blue Farmgirl

1210 Posts

Patti
Missouri
USA
1210 Posts

Posted - Feb 19 2007 :  6:32:00 PM  Show Profile
Carol, I definitely don't agree with how farmerjane expressed herself, but I have to admit that the decision to have these linens made overseas concerns me as well. However, my reasoning is a bit different.

Yes, I know that, as you said, many of the things we buy are foreign-made in part or whole. I realize that linens sold elsewhere are most likely made overseas. But that really isn't what sticks out to me in this situation. Please bear with me and read what I have to say with an open mind.

From what I've read (and in all fairness, maybe I'm projecting something that simply wasn't ever there to begin with and, if so, I apologize to MJ) I've always had the impression that MJ is all about natural, organic, etc., etc., and supporting local producers and manufacturers. She talks about the local mill, etc. Now, IF she had no choice but to open this new line, that would be one thing. But she branched out into an area that I'm sure she researched and she knew would have to be produced overseas. And she made a deliberate decision to do so. Yes, I know. At least now she knows that these products are being created humanely. But how can she 100% guarantee that? I won't go on & on, but I know someone who owned a shoe company who sent part of his product overseas and was assured of all sorts of things. When he or one of his kids were there, it was a wonderful humane working environment. He found out after a few years that there were other factories operating under his company that he knew nothing about, that didn't show up on the books, etc., etc. Maybe that was a fluke. Who knows? But my original point about choosing to branch out into a foreign market bothers me. We keep reading about how busy MJ is, and I can certainly understand that. But that also makes this entire move less reasonable to me. If she already is stretched to the max, isn't this counterproductive, particularly since the demographics/distance will make it more difficult to operate?

I am not being snide or rude. I am merely explaining what I've been grappling with since I first saw the new line. I've read each post, the descriptions & explanations given, and I am perplexed by this decision. I have enjoyed MJ's books and products, etc., and I'm certainly not bashing MJ.

In fact, I'd love to purchase her products, but we are absolutely broke and are not even sure we can hang on to the land we bought and the house we're building. But to tell you the truth, I can buy aprons made locally (and very good quality) for less than $15, so the prices here are higher than in my area. The only products I can justify buying here (when I actually have some money) are the food products that I can't find here at any price.

Truth be told, I think that after all MJ has said about buying local, supporting local businesses & artisans, this is troublesome. If you feel you have to revoke my membership because I've been candid here, I certainly understand.

Some people search for happiness; others create it.

http://happymama58.typepad.com/my_weblog/

Please visit me at www.marykay.com/pmiinch
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Feb 19 2007 :  7:16:32 PM  Show Profile
I think what you said speaks volumes Carol. Like Susan, I don't think I could do your job. You are amazing. Thanks for all you and MaryJane do. I, for one, sure appreciate you gals!

Jenny in Utah
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Horseyrider
True Blue Farmgirl

1045 Posts

Mary Ann
Illinois
1045 Posts

Posted - Feb 20 2007 :  03:39:06 AM  Show Profile
I hope this is the right place to ask about duvet covers! I adore quilts; I love the look on a bed so much! But when it comes time to go to bed, I'm all about down. I hope there will be comforter covers in time! I have my eye on the wildflower prints at the bottom, and two big window seats in my bedroom that I'd love to fill with those pillows! Mmmm, fun reading nook right by the window!

You're shaping my redecorating in my bedroom, you know!
Go to Top of Page

Nancy Gartenman
True Blue Farmgirl

9093 Posts

Nancy
West Seneca New York
USA
9093 Posts

Posted - Feb 20 2007 :  04:31:37 AM  Show Profile
LIFE IS SHORT, STAY HAPPY. THE REASON WE HAVE THIS GREAT PLACE TO COME TO IS BECAUSE OF MARY JANE AND HER CREW, AND THATS WHAT IS IMPORTANT TO ME.
NANCY JO

www.Nancy-Jo.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Karen
Farmgirl in Training

33 Posts

West Central Idaho
USA
33 Posts

Posted - Feb 20 2007 :  07:57:40 AM  Show Profile
Carol, great post! Thanks to Mary Jane and all of you for what you have done over the years. It is refreshing to find the message of home, family, simple living and so much more.

Those that don't fully understand the global economy (like I didn't) might want to pick up a book called The Underground Economist. He shows in very concrete examples that working with other countries isn't always a bad thing.

Mary Jane has shown her love for America and Americans over and over and over. Sharing some of that love overseas is ok by me.

By the way, the linens are BEAUTIFUL!!!

Karen
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Karen
Farmgirl in Training

33 Posts

West Central Idaho
USA
33 Posts

Posted - Feb 20 2007 :  1:01:52 PM  Show Profile
Correction -

The Undercover Economist by Tim Harford
Go to Top of Page

katiedid
True Blue Farmgirl

601 Posts

Kate
West Jordan Utah
USA
601 Posts

Posted - Feb 21 2007 :  06:53:17 AM  Show Profile
I am moving to a new (to me) farmhouse soon, and I am sure thinking that the red toned bedroom ensemble will be great on my new log bed!!

What a fun addition to MJF.

Carol, thanks for your well said words. I appreciate the deeper look into Mary Jane's business, and just like you said, we are all tied to the global economy. How great it would be if we all could work as hard as you guys have to make sure our global dollars are well spent. It is a huge undertaking to research where my 12 year's new shoes have come from!
I can't imagine the enormity of your job!

Girls who disagree: Let's all remember that we are all cerainly entitled to our own opinions and feelings, but shall we leave it at this?
~If you love the new linens and feel good about how they are produced, buy them!
~If you feel like your money is better spent somewhere else, don't buy them!

This is a great forum, where so many of us have come to be surrounded by FarmGirls.
I feel we are all entitled to have our own thoughts and feelings, for sure. But, like a young child learning that the "truth" can sometimes be hurtful, we don't teach our children to lie..(like when a 3 year old points out that his neighbor is fat!) but we hope they learn to temper the truth with tact.

I guess what I am saying is this, we don't have to change our opinions, thoughts, and feelings to suit each other, but we can "temper them with tact."

Let's be loving, or if we can't be loving, at least be respectful. And please, let's not forget who has made this wonderful forum available to us.

Carol, MaryJane, and everyone else at the Farm,
Love and light to you~

Kate

my new blog http/www.theknifemakerswife.wordpress.com
Go to Top of Page

Mumof3
True Blue Farmgirl

3890 Posts

Karin
Ellenwood GA
USA
3890 Posts

Posted - Feb 21 2007 :  10:22:14 AM  Show Profile
I appreciate MaryJane's efforts to bring the best to her customers. I also understand that there are places other than the United States where quality in product and workmanship is more economical. Why should we not reach out to them? It can only help build our relationships with our friends around the world.
PS- I am asking for a set for my anniversary gift this year! I just can't choose which one! :)

Karin
Go to Top of Page

Leezard
True Blue Farmgirl

950 Posts

Elizabeth
Novi MI
USA
950 Posts

Posted - Feb 21 2007 :  10:40:31 AM  Show Profile
Thanks to those who have been able to discuss differing opinions without becoming rude about it.

Patti, I appreciate your post, it's good to have differing ideas presented and I feel you did it very respectfully.

Carol, thank you for pointing out the Project F.A.R.M. items more directly and letting us know that more will be available in the future, I look forward to seeing what's to come. I wonder if there's a way to have a section specifically for Project F.A.R.M. items on the shopping page or if they could be marked a little more clearly on the main shopping page. Just a thought to make the items a little more easier to find from the start :)

http://ruby--slippers.blogspot.com/
www.leezard.etsy.com

Edited by - Leezard on Feb 21 2007 10:43:49 AM
Go to Top of Page

happymama58
True Blue Farmgirl

1210 Posts

Patti
Missouri
USA
1210 Posts

Posted - Feb 21 2007 :  12:15:40 PM  Show Profile
Katiedid, I wanted to respond to your post; I hope you understand that I have the utmost respect for you and am not being snarkey! I have to disagree with the idea that we shouldn't bring up a dissenting view or, as it sounds like from your thread, gnaw on it a bit. A couple of reasons.

1. Many times, by respectfully discussing something that is controversial, understanding & growth & mutual ground can be achieved.

2. If something or someone is out there to be praised (as we so often do praise MJ and rightfully so), then it's only fair that that object or person is open to respectful and thoughtful criticism as well. It's unfair to tell a reader or a consumer, "Hey, it's okay for you to speak out if you are on my side, but I don't want to hear you if you disagree."

I certainly don't intend to keep discussing this issue, unless someone were to respond to the points I originally made and there's room for discussion. But to say nothing more should be said . . . well, this is a discussion board! And sometimes, having nothing but "yes women" is really unhealthy. Just think. Perhaps someone with a dissenting view (not me -- I'm not that smart) might come up with a valid point that MJ finds insightful and helpful in the way she might market these products or something like that. I guess I just elaborated on #1 above and am simply repeating myself so I'll stop.

Thanks for understanding.

Some people search for happiness; others create it.

http://happymama58.typepad.com/my_weblog/

Please visit me at www.marykay.com/pmiinch
Go to Top of Page

katiedid
True Blue Farmgirl

601 Posts

Kate
West Jordan Utah
USA
601 Posts

Posted - Feb 22 2007 :  3:24:08 PM  Show Profile
Patti, I take no offense at all! Like you and I both said, we are entitled to our own opinions.

One of my favorite things is a friendly debate. I find it kindof exhilarating and definately thought provoking to chat with someone who sees our world through different eyes. This is what makes us great.

I certainly don't feel that people with opposing views shouldn't "gnaw on it a bit" This can be great fun! It can also be eye opening, and a great learning experience...in fact I have learned a great deal about many different topics (reading) that have been brought about to me during differences of opinion. My "tempering with tact" line was meant to be a gentle reminder for us all, that sometimes, things we say can be hurtful, even when our intentions are noble.

I really don't mind when people "disagree" I think we all can be enlightened, if we listen closely to all, even those who have different views...or especially from those who have different views.

I am sure that MaryJane is the type of gal who can take critism in stride..(just think of all the critism she must have faced in the 1980s and 90s when she was first starting her Organics business!) I mostly felt a little defensive (for a lady I've never met HA!) when the newbies on the forum where so cruel in their critism.

So, let's keep sharing our opposing views, we can all learn...but let's just be nice when we do it...

Patti, you are too smart, and great with words!

Love and light to all
Kate

my new blog http/www.theknifemakerswife.wordpress.com
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 **MaryJanesFarm Products & Merchandise: Previous Topic WOW! Check out the new linens!!! Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page