Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 **MaryJanesFarm Products & Merchandise
 WOW! Check out the new linens!!!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author **MaryJanesFarm Products & Merchandise: Previous Topic WOW! Check out the new linens!!! Next Topic
Page: of 2

Libbie
Farmgirl Connection Cultivator

3579 Posts

Anne E.
Elsinore Utah
USA
3579 Posts

Posted - Feb 12 2007 :  11:14:38 PM  Show Profile
I was just browsing through the MJF site, and when I went into the products area, THE NEW SHEET SETS and TOWELS are there! Go and take a look! Here's the link: http://www.maryjanesfarm.org/pfoshop/AllProducts.asp?dept_id=1

XOXO, Libbie

"Nothing is worth more than this day." - Goethe

katie-ell
True Blue Farmgirl

1818 Posts

Katie
Illinois
1818 Posts

Posted - Feb 13 2007 :  05:06:07 AM  Show Profile
What beautiful goods. And well-priced! Hmmm . . . time to pour a cup of tea and SHOP.
Go to Top of Page

vintagechica
True Blue Farmgirl

438 Posts

Eren
Poolville TX
USA
438 Posts

Posted - Feb 13 2007 :  05:10:07 AM  Show Profile
Oh yeah!!!! Those pillows look heavenly. Gotta start saving my pennies again.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
A sure way to avoid housework...live outdoors.

Visit me anytime at my blog:
www.vintagechica.typepad.com
Go to Top of Page

Kim
True Blue Farmgirl

146 Posts

Kim
Pflugerville Texas
USA
146 Posts

Posted - Feb 13 2007 :  05:12:43 AM  Show Profile
I love the quilt-y looking valance!!!

Blessed Be!

farmgirl@heart

Be at peace with yourself and the rest will follow
http://chevy49girl.livejournal.com/

http://chevy49girl.deviantart.com/
Go to Top of Page

Amie C.
True Blue Farmgirl

2099 Posts

Finger Lakes Region NY
2099 Posts

Posted - Feb 13 2007 :  06:20:57 AM  Show Profile
I don't see any info on the site about where the linens come from. I know that the textile industry is a pretty big deal. Where is Mary Jane contracting to have the work done? I can't believe she'd go with the typical sweatshop. Anybody know?
Go to Top of Page

Mumof3
True Blue Farmgirl

3890 Posts

Karin
Ellenwood GA
USA
3890 Posts

Posted - Feb 13 2007 :  06:24:45 AM  Show Profile
They are all so beautiful and inviting and cozy looking. The Posy set reminds me of a "puff" (what my grandmother called a comforter) that Grammy gave me when I was a little girl. It was very satiny and slipped all over the place, but I loved it anyway. Hmmmm. I wonder which set I will choose? :)

Karin

Edited by - Mumof3 on Feb 13 2007 06:25:21 AM
Go to Top of Page

Clare
True Blue Farmgirl

2173 Posts

NC WA State
USA
2173 Posts

Posted - Feb 13 2007 :  07:05:54 AM  Show Profile
It all looks lovely! Carol, what's the thread count on the sheets?

Humor is the prelude to faith and Laughter is the beginning of prayer. -- Reinhold Niebuhr

http://farmstyle.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page

Carol
Moderator/MaryJane's Design Diva

452 Posts

Carol
Moscow Idaho
USA
452 Posts

Posted - Feb 13 2007 :  11:52:13 AM  Show Profile
Hi girls.
Yes, we're excited to launch our new bedding line! Gabe is working on getting the products up on the web, and I'm busy designing new pages for our shopping section. Fun! We're waiting to hear about thread counts and other details, and will post those as soon as we get them.

For our new bedding line, MaryJane is working with a family that has been in the textile industry for generations. Two of the brothers live and work in Hong Kong. Their vision is that of a global team that embodies a commitment to jobs and something they call “beyond compliance.” There are plans afoot for MaryJane (or at least someone from her family) to travel (over time) and meet the workers who produce their goods and also create “sister city” type shared interests. When MaryJane traveled to NY recently for the launch of her line (her Chenille bed set will be featured on the front cover of the March issue of Country Home!) she commented, “Being there with all of them was like working at the United Nations-they’ve made a real effort to have many countries represented. Can you imagine what their company potlucks taste like?”

If you want to buy American made, please check out the offerings under our Project F.A.R.M. (First-class American Rural Made) label. We're committed to supporting workers across America who are struggling to maintain their rural lifestyle, and offer many of their products for sale on our website. We've just added a Project F.A.R.M. farmgirl quilt to our bedding line and will soon add a line of aprons and totes, along with some beautiful afghans and rugs. Just look for the Project F.A.R.M. label below the product description on our product pages. Read more about Project F.A.R.M. here: http://www.maryjanesfarm.org/ProjectFarm/.

Carol

"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, red wine in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming 'WOO HOO, what a ride!'"
Go to Top of Page

happymama58
True Blue Farmgirl

1210 Posts

Patti
Missouri
USA
1210 Posts

Posted - Feb 13 2007 :  12:03:07 PM  Show Profile
Carol, I just want to clarify. The linens in the line (other than the FARM itmes) are made in Hong Kong?

Some people search for happiness; others create it.

http://happymama58.typepad.com/my_weblog/

Please visit me at www.marykay.com/pmiinch
Go to Top of Page

asnedecor
True Blue Farmgirl

1054 Posts

Anne
Portland Or
USA
1054 Posts

Posted - Feb 14 2007 :  07:00:18 AM  Show Profile
I love the embroidered chicken and trowel pillows. I know what I am saving up for.

I love the new items.

Anne in Portland

"Weeds are flowers too, once you get to know them" Eyeore from Winnie the Pooh
Go to Top of Page

Carol

452 Posts

Carol
Moscow Idaho
USA
452 Posts

Posted - Feb 15 2007 :  10:03:08 AM  Show Profile
Hello all.
Since some of you still have questions about our new bedding line, we'd like to give you some background information on how our goods are produced. When MaryJane first started thinking about producing linens (a natural, since we use a lot of them in our B&B), she "naturally" thought she'd have them made from organic cotton grown in the U.S. If you've read anything about us, you'll know that MaryJane is committed to supporting goods made here at home.

Here's a link to an award, "Founder of a New Northwest," she received in 1999 that will shed some light on how she approaches sustainability as a business owner. http://www.maryjanesfarm.org/about/articlesawards/1999founders.asp. It is a reflection on how she started her food business. "Rather than starting with produce and trying to find a market, she started trying to identify potential markets and working to fill those needs [first]." In other words, most of her packaged foods were not even close to organic in the beginning. It was something she worked on over time (seems like a lifetime ago, given I've been working with her on and off for a couple of decades now!). Most of our foods are now 100% organic, but it wasn't something she accomplished overnight if she also wanted to stay in business!!!! (Oh, the stories I could tell you about the white-knuckle ride she’s on!) Sometimes I know she has fantasies about a simple job working in a coffee shop (going back to the years when she worked as a waitress) and letting the world be what it is rather than trying to fix every little thing ...

But why was MJ setting her sights on ORGANIC cotton? Well, did you know that almost 8,000 different chemicals are used to turn agricultural materials into the fabrics we buy routinely? And that it takes close to two pounds of chemicals to make just ONE non-organic sheet set? We did eventually find a way to produce organic sheets and towels, but when trying to find a way to make all of our bedding from organic cotton grown in the U.S. and manufacture them here as well, we ran into one roadblock after another. Things like cotton grown in this country is then loomed overseas. And cotton grown in this country must be shipped overseas to be turned into printed designs. Or that the few people left that can create designed fabric in this country import their cotton. It might say “Made in the USA,” but not grown in the USA. It might say “Grown in the USA,” but not made in the USA.

So, if we wanted to produce bedding that our retail partners were willing to sell and YOU were able to afford, we went overseas. Just like 90% of the products that most us live with every day of our lives - cars, electronics, clothes, books, food, on and on - and not just the products bought in Wal-Mart, but the products we buy in nearly every store in America. Like it or not, we're all irrevocably immersed in a global marketplace. Nobody can fix this, but if we each do what we can, I think it adds up somehow - both practically and spiritually.

To that end, we've done everything possible to assure that our products are produced responsibly. As I said in my previous post, our family-based partner company is living their vision of a global team that embodies a commitment to jobs and something they call “beyond compliance.” We're using cotton processed and manufactured in the country where it is grown in order to cut down on travel waste. After all, how environmentally friendly is it to use materials grown here, but then ship them halfway around the world and back (sometimes more than once), resulting in even more dependence on petroleum products? Go to www.organicindia.com and Google things like SKAL International Standards if you're interested. SKAL is the Dutch-based monitoring agency we're using that makes sure the processing of natural fibers (textiles) is manufactured sustainably from the growing stage to the material stage. Production must adhere to strict guidelines. It also has strict standards for everything from waste removal to working conditions. It goes beyond no children EVER (younger than sixteen), to the kinds of standards MaryJane has in place right here at the farm - things like lunch breaks, basic wages, NO dusty rooms, ventilation, lighting, etc.

And remember, we're also committed to selling products made for our Project F.A.R.M. (First-class American Rural Made) label: a beautiful handmade farmgirl quilt in our new bedding line; a line of wire goods made by a third-generation family-owned business in Texas; Miss Wilma's pillows, bags, Christmas stockings, and more made in rural Kentucky; and a new line of aprons and tote bags made right here in the Palouse that we'll launch soon. (Don’t forget to buy the most amazing jams you’ve ever tasted GROWN and MADE in rural Kentucky!)

Here’s a pic Julie Bell snapped a couple of days ago during one of MaryJane’s visits to a group of women who are making aprons for us. MaryJane gave them an order for 300 aprons! You’ll be seeing their work soon on our website!

Carol

"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, red wine in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming 'WOO HOO, what a ride!'"
Go to Top of Page

Amie C.
True Blue Farmgirl

2099 Posts

Finger Lakes Region NY
2099 Posts

Posted - Feb 15 2007 :  12:14:48 PM  Show Profile
Thanks for all that info, Carol. I was sure there must be a pretty complicated backstory behind the linens. I've tried to find retail textile products that are made in the US from organic cotton, and it gets so confusing. It's frightening to think what a helpless nation we've become from a production standpoint (the US is not at all self-reliant in the sense that most of us are trying to be!) But people in other countries need good jobs too, so I'm glad Mary Jane is providing some.
Go to Top of Page

therusticcottage
True Blue Farmgirl

4439 Posts

Kay
Vancouver WA
USA
4439 Posts

Posted - Feb 15 2007 :  7:47:14 PM  Show Profile
I have to say that the line is beautiful and I think it is very reasonably priced! Job well done! I am personally saving for the chenille bedspread as well as sheets and towels -- love them!

The Rustic Cottage Etsy Shop http://therusticcottage.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

farmerjane
Farmgirl at Heart

2 Posts

Jane
Rolla Mo
USA
2 Posts

Posted - Feb 19 2007 :  08:35:46 AM  Show Profile
I am new to Mary Jane's Farm and have even started a Farmgirl Chapter in my town. I am very troubled to hear that Mary Jane has contracted her linens to be produced in Hong Kong. And even though Carol did a great job in defending that decision, it still goes against, in my view, all that Mary Jane stands for. I am anxious to hear how the other farmgirls will react, because I will not be purchasing any of her foreign made linens. I can get those at Dillards.
Go to Top of Page

Horseyrider
True Blue Farmgirl

1045 Posts

Mary Ann
Illinois
1045 Posts

Posted - Feb 19 2007 :  09:35:29 AM  Show Profile
Jane, I understand your views and support your right to hold them. But something we might all consider is that perhaps the move toward a global economy is really in all our best interests; the more interrelated our commerce, the more we need each other. And the more we need each other, the less likely we'll bear arms against one another.

How likely is China to nuke their biggest market?

I applaud the concept of "beyond compliance." Fair wages and safe work environments for our sisters around the world is what we all want, do we not? SOMEbody has to begin to lead the way. As the standard of living increases, families are better fed, and children can become children again. Everyone wins.

I look forward to the day when our borders are depicted by the limits of the stratosphere, not some arbitrary ones drawn in the earth below.

The designs are beautiful! I look forward to hearing the specs such as drapery length, thread count, and other options. I have a bedroom that needs a good overhaul, and I love the idea of being able to put together a room that looks consistent with it's architecture.

Thanks, Mary Jane, Carol, and the rest of your marketing team!
Go to Top of Page

Kim
True Blue Farmgirl

146 Posts

Kim
Pflugerville Texas
USA
146 Posts

Posted - Feb 19 2007 :  09:53:26 AM  Show Profile
I was surprised to see the new lines. I almost felt as if this was turning into a "Martha Stewart" thing. I have mixed feelings about it, I guess.

I have been posting on this board since at least 2005. I will buy F.A.R.M. items over overseas items, because I feel so strongly about our farmers and others being pushed aside by overseas competitors as well as our own government.

Off my soapbox now!!!

Oh, BTW, I didn't see the quilt?

Blessed Be!

farmgirl@heart

Go to Top of Page

Carol

452 Posts

Carol
Moscow Idaho
USA
452 Posts

Posted - Feb 19 2007 :  10:44:35 AM  Show Profile
Hi girls.
You'll find the Project F.A.R.M. quilt toward the bottom of the page at:
http://www.maryjanesfarm.org/pfoshop/product.asp?dept_id=134&ProductID=55043037

And remember, we'll have Project F.A.R.M.-made aprons, totes, and more in the next month, but if you're really interested in supporting Project F.A.R.M., you can always choose from our old stand-bys - Project F.A.R.M.-made pillows, bags, Christmas stockings, dolls, etc. Find them under "bedroom," "closet," and "housewide."

P.S. Although sometimes the fabric in our Project F.A.R.M. products is reused, it isn't made in the U.S.A. - you'd be hard-pressed to find fabric loomed in rural America, or even in this country. In our farm store, we do sell some beautiful dishtowels that are hand-loomed by a local woman, but unfortunately, most shoppers have found them too expensive to purchase.

P.P.S. And yes, we know that you can buy products made overseas anywhere - but you don't always get an assurance that those products are made responsibly - we're trying hard to offer products that come with those assurances.

Carol
Go to Top of Page

Kim
True Blue Farmgirl

146 Posts

Kim
Pflugerville Texas
USA
146 Posts

Posted - Feb 19 2007 :  10:49:19 AM  Show Profile
Wow, huge price difference between the brownwork and redwork quilt. Just curious as to the price difference?

Blessed Be!

farmgirl@heart

Go to Top of Page

Carol

452 Posts

Carol
Moscow Idaho
USA
452 Posts

Posted - Feb 19 2007 :  11:42:27 AM  Show Profile
Hi Kim.
The pricing of the quilts is discussed in the paragraphs about Project F.A.R.M. right before the description of the quilt itself.
Thanks!
Carol
Go to Top of Page

Kim
True Blue Farmgirl

146 Posts

Kim
Pflugerville Texas
USA
146 Posts

Posted - Feb 19 2007 :  12:29:48 PM  Show Profile
Thanks Carol! I also got an e-mail from Theresa about it. I now understand!! lol!!

Blessed Be!

farmgirl@heart

Go to Top of Page

farmerjane
Farmgirl at Heart

2 Posts

Jane
Rolla Mo
USA
2 Posts

Posted - Feb 19 2007 :  3:06:01 PM  Show Profile
Kim-thanks for expressing your honest opinion. As I am new to MaryJane's Farm- as in 2 months ago I discovered her- I have already done the Martha thing. As much as I want to believe Mary Jane went to Hong Kong to help promote a better world and fair trade-let's face it- it's all about the money. She is not who I thought she was , and I will not support her any longer.
Go to Top of Page

Kim
True Blue Farmgirl

146 Posts

Kim
Pflugerville Texas
USA
146 Posts

Posted - Feb 19 2007 :  3:20:02 PM  Show Profile
I still support her, I understand what you mean and I can appreciate your stance. It's been difficult for me and maybe even some other members who have been on this board for several years.

I understand the concept of fair trade and now beyond compliance. I just have a hard time, especially when we have so many unemployed amongst our own. :(

Blessed Be!

farmgirl@heart

Go to Top of Page

Carol

452 Posts

Carol
Moscow Idaho
USA
452 Posts

Posted - Feb 19 2007 :  5:54:45 PM  Show Profile
Okay. This thread has caused me to put on my farmgirl posse hat and give "farmerjane" a stern talkin' to!

Of course, you are all entitled to your opinions and we welcome constructive criticism, but you can't imagine how disappointing and hurtful this kind of thoughtless and mean-spirited feedback is to us. Here we've got a member that joined our forum less than a week ago and has made 2 posts - both bashing MaryJane and our efforts here. You won't see her here on the forum any longer - she doesn't get to join our forum and then immediately belittle our efforts by saying things like "it's all about the money" without knowing anything about us. During the few "farmgirl spats" we've had on the forum, we always say that this is a place for exchanging ideas and supporting each other. Please remember that we need your support too. This member didn't even bother to read the very careful and detailed explanations I wrote to give you a background about our products and why we made the decisions we made. The kind of strident self-importance that "farmerjane" revealed here is part of what's wrong with our world. She can apparently take such high ground about things made overseas, but isn't she typing on a computer to do so? Does she drive a car? Read a book? Buy clothes? The self-aware person knows this issue is just not black or white. And I'm very perplexed by her comment that she can just "go to Dillards" to buy sheets made overseas. If you know that someone is trying to manufacture something in a responsible manner and you're concerned with buying things made in a responsible manner, then wouldn't you choose that product over one that you didn't know anything about?

We have tried and tried to bring our customers products made by those of us right here at home, but time after time, they don't sell because the customer compares the price of these products with those they are used to buying that are made overseas! Just this past year, we paid out nearly $30,000 to local seamstresses to make products under our Project F.A.R.M. umbrella. And this doesn't count any of the products we've bought from Miss Wilma and her seven friends, Kaspar Wire Works, or any of our other Project F.A.R.M. partners. We're very proud of the fact that we've been able to get some of the Project F.A.R.M. items into the department stores that are carrying our bedding lines. Do you know anyone else who has been successful in doing this? As I write, we've got local women stitchin' up a storm sewing aprons that you'll soon see in national stores!

The other thing you have to remember is that you're dealing with a real live person behind our forum, our magazines, our books, and our products. Not a figurehead, but an honest, hard-working, high-principled woman who works so hard 24-7 to try to make her business succeed and support the 15-20 families that work here on our farm, at such great expense to herself. I don't know of another person that lives as simply and frugally as MaryJane. And, yes, she would like to someday make enough money to have the living room, kitchen, house and even her own private indoor toilet that she's lived without for the last 10 years since her house burned down! (Can you imagine not even having a couch or having your only indoor bathroom in the middle of a public space that you have to share with your employees?) She's instead put all of her efforts in those last 10 years into trying to bring women like you something to brighten their days and improve their health, while scratching out a very frugal living. If you want to continue to see our forum, our magazine, our books, our food, our Farm Fair, our Bed & Breakfast, and our other ventures, it's important to be supportive, both in a real sense in buying those products, AND, just as importantly, in friendship and moral support. She cares deeply about doing the right thing, and comments like the ones that precipitated this letter nearly break her. Please take the time to find out who we are, what we're trying to do, and BE KIND so that we will have the support to keep on keepin' on ... and hopefully do our part to make the world a better place along the way!

Ever hopeful,
Carol

Go to Top of Page

Kim
True Blue Farmgirl

146 Posts

Kim
Pflugerville Texas
USA
146 Posts

Posted - Feb 19 2007 :  6:00:01 PM  Show Profile
Kudos to Carol! Well said!!!

Blessed Be!

farmgirl@heart

Go to Top of Page

Horseyrider
True Blue Farmgirl

1045 Posts

Mary Ann
Illinois
1045 Posts

Posted - Feb 19 2007 :  6:19:42 PM  Show Profile
Thank you for saying that, Carol. I can't imagine this decision as being one that was arrived at lightly. I too bristled when farmerjane said that "It's all about the money." That sort of statement is always inflammatory. And while I'm a smart girl, I couldn't figure how anyone outside of Moscow Idaho could really KNOW what sort of person Mary Jane is. We see a projection here of many of her values, but we can't assume to KNOW. Shoot, I've made a few more than two posts, and I don't assume to KNOW.

I'm still struggling with what could possibly be wrong with bringing beautiful things to the world, and making it possible for sisters in other countries to have a fair wage and decent working conditions. Sounds like a win/win to me. But hey, what do I know?

You GO, Carol!
Go to Top of Page

TheSoapMaven
True Blue Farmgirl

691 Posts

Susan
LA
USA
691 Posts

Posted - Feb 19 2007 :  6:30:14 PM  Show Profile  Send TheSoapMaven a Yahoo! Message
thank you Carol...you are very diplomatic!!! the very reason I couldnt do what you do. I am NOT diplomatic and tend to be emotional about such things. I as wanting so badly to respond but couldnt think of a nice way to say any of it. I have been on the MaryJane bandwagon now for a LONG time. I feel I do know what she is about - and she is GENUINE. Plain and simple. What do some people expect, that she isnt suppose to make money? Hate to say we all have to. My husband works for a BIG OLD BAD oil company. I am not ashamed of it. I am very proud that he has worked our whole married life and made a living that allowed me to stay home and "tend the hearth". I cant tell you how much h-e double hockey sticks I have caught because he works for "the enemy" yet we live close to the land, drive energy efficent vehicles, recycle, organic garden. what??? we arent supposed to make a living? He is NOT contributing to any of the ills of oil consumption any more than the rest of us.

Please believe, this farmgirl will continue to support MJ and all the rest of you. She has been a blessing to my life. And I wish her all the success she can hold...even the money part! Its all lovely and I will be ordering. Hugs to all of you.

Susan
http://www.thesoapmaven.com
http://notquitejunecleaver.com
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 **MaryJanesFarm Products & Merchandise: Previous Topic WOW! Check out the new linens!!! Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page