Mnhorsemom
Farmgirl in Training

44 Posts

Kathy
Battle Lake minnesota
USA
44 Posts

Posted - Feb 12 2007 :  05:21:31 AM  Show Profile
I can't believe one of my dogs is already blowing her winter coat!! (it's been below zero here for almost 2 weeks) Anyway, the hair is really soft downy hair and it is now floating everywhere in my house. Besides that dog I have 2 more shedding machines that live in the house. Everything has hair sticking to it. Any suggestions on how to keep it under control? I vacume all the time but it's hard to vacume your underware KWIM Thanks

Farm House Formulas Battle Lake, MN

doglady
True Blue Farmgirl

435 Posts

Tina
Howard Ohio
USA
435 Posts

Posted - Feb 12 2007 :  05:52:42 AM  Show Profile
Wow Kathy,

You certainly have a fuzz problem. My suggestion, since your dog is shedding anyway, is to speed the process up! I would brush your dog really really well, give it a "warm" bath (warm water will loosen the undercoat up even more. **If you can get a metal wide tooth dog comb through its hair after you brush, you will know that you have all of the mats out before the bath. **Never bathe a dog with mats as water will mat the hair right down to the skin. Dry your dog with a blow dryer (back porch or garage is best), and finally give the dog one last really good brush out after its dry. Brushing everyday helps a lot too. Or you can always confine your dog to one area of the house right now but sooner or later you'll need to deal with the coat anyway. Good Luck!

Tina

The dogs own the house but the people pay the mortgage!
www.kennelcreations.com
Go to Top of Page

Libbie
Farmgirl Connection Cultivator

3579 Posts

Anne E.
Elsinore Utah
USA
3579 Posts

Posted - Feb 12 2007 :  07:16:23 AM  Show Profile
I have a good ol' golden retriever that I just love, and BOY, is she furry! My parents gave me something called the "Furminator" (I know, I know, the name is nutty!), but that thing really works. It has these teeth that get the undercoat out when you WANT it out, rather than all over the carpet...the furniture...clothing...children... That's the best thing I've tried yet...Good luck!!!

XOXO, Libbie

"Nothing is worth more than this day." - Goethe
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Feb 12 2007 :  08:54:26 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Here are a few tips-

Throw one of those green scrubbie scotch bright pads into the wash with your clothes- the dog hair sticks to the pad and so it helps get some hair out that way (I hate it when my clothes come out of the wash still hairy).

Vacuuming and giving the dog a bath and brushing are all great tips to control what is still to come.

If you vacuum is having a hard time picking up the hair- check the beater bar. My Kirby's beater bar gets clogged with my dog's super fine long fur. Also rubbing rubber across things like couches and chairs will roll the air up for you so you can just pick it off or vacuum easier. I like those rubber mitts they make to help you get jar lids off.

My dog has been going through this too and so every night for a week we cuddled and I took just a normal comb (you know the kind that has ultra fine and normal on the same comb) and brushed out all the under coat. It took a long time but I don't feel like my home is being invaded by fur anymore :)
Go to Top of Page

DaisyFarm
True Blue Farmgirl

1646 Posts

Diane
Victoria BC
Canada
1646 Posts

Posted - Feb 12 2007 :  10:11:27 AM  Show Profile
So how do you brush out a short-haired lab??? I always said I'd never have another long-haired dog, but my retriever doesn't shed anything like my lab. I thoroughly vacuum every single day, it's ridiculous, not to mention time consuming. Maybe I should just replace all the carpet with something in a nice golden tan and buy all new clothing in the same color!
Any ideas on how to get the undercoat out of a lab would be greatly appreciated!!
Go to Top of Page

doglady
True Blue Farmgirl

435 Posts

Tina
Howard Ohio
USA
435 Posts

Posted - Feb 12 2007 :  11:24:45 AM  Show Profile
Hi Diane,

For a Lab, try one of those mitt brushes. Your dog will love it too.

Tina

The dogs own the house but the people pay the mortgage!
www.kennelcreations.com
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Feb 13 2007 :  09:37:48 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Labs have interesting hair. Because they have a naturally oily coat (to repel water) those little hairs seem to get into everything! One thing that has worked for my family is to teach your dog to enjoy being vacuumed with the attachment. You can even buy dog brush attachments for most vacuums. They look are round with short rubber nubs. If you vacuum and then brush and the vacuum again (at least for the first few times) you should get most of the shedding hair out before it has a chance to go any where else. Otherwise you just have to spend a lot of time brushing :)
Go to Top of Page
  Cleaning Up: Previous Topic Dog Hair Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page