Annab
True Blue Farmgirl

2900 Posts

Anna
Seagrove NC
USA
2900 Posts

Posted - Feb 09 2007 :  4:52:01 PM  Show Profile
Anyone out there have a favorite dinner they like to have prepared for them or fav. cake?

I'm meeting my folks for BD dinner tomorrow night and didn't even have to voice my request for lasagna. Cake will be lemon and lemon. Sounds weird, don't knock it 'till ya try it. My cousin came up w/ the idea YEARS ago when she was about to turn 13. SHE is now 37, as I too will turn. From that point on, it's always been the same combo. YUMMY!

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Feb 09 2007 :  5:07:40 PM  Show Profile
My family always does favorite dinner and cake on Birthdays. (which means that on youngest son's birthday on Sunday we get hot dogs and mac and cheese and chocolate cake with choc frosting and chocolate ice cream I guess..ugh) I always pick banana cake with NO frosting and for supper bbq ribs or steak, baked potato and a green salad with EVERYTHING in it.Unless we go out..then it is chinese or japanese food for sure.
Lemon and lemon sound good!!

Jenny in Utah
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Beemoosie
True Blue Farmgirl

2077 Posts

Bonnie
New York
USA
2077 Posts

Posted - Feb 10 2007 :  04:48:45 AM  Show Profile
DH is always Choc/Choc and more chocolate...taco type something for dinner.
I like my MIL Angel food cake w/strawberries, and since I am in August I like something on the grill

My soul magnifies the Lord, And my spirit rejoices in God my Savior. Luke 1:46,47
www.beequilting.blogspot.com
http://beemoosie-picture-diary.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Libbie
Farmgirl Connection Cultivator

3579 Posts

Anne E.
Elsinore Utah
USA
3579 Posts

Posted - Feb 10 2007 :  9:14:18 PM  Show Profile
At my house, I have a special red plate that is pulled out only on birthdays or other really special occasions - the "person of honor" for the day gets to eat all of their meals on the red plate. It sounds a little corny, now that I'm writing it, but I just love it! My mom did it for us for as long as I can remember, and now I'm having so much fun doing it in my own home...

XOXO, Libbie

"Nothing is worth more than this day." - Goethe
Go to Top of Page

Annab
True Blue Farmgirl

2900 Posts

Anna
Seagrove NC
USA
2900 Posts

Posted - Feb 11 2007 :  1:26:55 PM  Show Profile
HEY! the red plate! We did the same thing in our house. Birthdays, graduations, good report cards, raises no matter the happy occasin, there was always occasion for the red plate

I now have one for my own family, but never seem to remember to get it out. My brother is ever the celebrant and traditionalist,so he inherited the same red plate we used as kids

It is a fun tradition no matter the age!

Go to Top of Page

Libbie

3579 Posts

Anne E.
Elsinore Utah
USA
3579 Posts

Posted - Feb 11 2007 :  5:13:54 PM  Show Profile
I'm so glad that the red plate LIVES ON!!!!!

XOXO, Libbie

Go to Top of Page

vintagechica
True Blue Farmgirl

438 Posts

Eren
Poolville TX
USA
438 Posts

Posted - Feb 11 2007 :  5:51:52 PM  Show Profile
Oh, that is a great idea...the red plate. I dont have a red plate, but I have one the could be the "special" plate. How fun, my boys will love it! (but I guess I will need two special plates the, LOL!)

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
A sure way to avoid housework...live outdoors.

Visit me anytime at my blog:
www.vintagechica.typepad.com
Go to Top of Page

Amie C.
True Blue Farmgirl

2099 Posts

Finger Lakes Region NY
2099 Posts

Posted - Feb 12 2007 :  06:46:53 AM  Show Profile
I don't have a current birthday tradition, but there was one I used to love as a kid. My mother always made us "clock" cakes. It's a round cake, with 12 cupcakes arranged around the edge. Each cupcake is labeled 1-12 in icing, and you draw the hands of the clock on the main cake, pointing to the cupcake number that is your age. It only works until you turn 12, of course, so I really had the sense of reaching the start of a new era on my 13th birthday!
Go to Top of Page

Libbie

3579 Posts

Anne E.
Elsinore Utah
USA
3579 Posts

Posted - Feb 12 2007 :  07:34:29 AM  Show Profile
Oh, Eren! I forgot that you have twins!!! Definitely - TWO red plates!!!

XOXO, Libbie

Go to Top of Page

KellyA
True Blue Farmgirl

237 Posts

Kelly
Johnsonville NY
USA
237 Posts

Posted - Feb 12 2007 :  09:55:32 AM  Show Profile  Send KellyA an AOL message
Mine was "Charlie's hot dogs"...that is a hot dog sold here in the area that is about 3" long with a special meat sauce, onions and mustard on a tiny steamed roll. My mom (a rose) made her own version of the meat sauce that we loved better than the stuff at the stand!
My son's is anything finished with raspberry pie!

Kelly

When a cookbook is in hand, life is good!
Go to Top of Page

a rose
True Blue Farmgirl

443 Posts

Linda
Waterford NY
USA
443 Posts

Posted - Feb 12 2007 :  1:13:01 PM  Show Profile
A vanilla cake made by by my daughter Kelly. She makes super cakes.
Oh yeah Kelly A. has a birthday coming up on the 16th of this month. So, please wish her a Happy Birthday!!

Remember me as a rose.
Go to Top of Page

Bluewrenn
True Blue Farmgirl

1122 Posts

Erin
Texas
USA
1122 Posts

Posted - Feb 12 2007 :  11:45:43 PM  Show Profile
For us, we got to pick our dinner (usually tacos or spaghetti if we had company) and then we finished it off with one of the Pepperidge Farms cakes.

My Homesteading Journal http://toomyvara.livejournal.com

My craft journal http://bluewrenn.livejournal.com

Go to Top of Page

Nance in France
True Blue Farmgirl

1438 Posts

Nancy
St. Laurent de la Salanque
France
1438 Posts

Posted - Feb 13 2007 :  02:38:28 AM  Show Profile
Yum, these sound so good, and I gotta get ME a red plate now!!! As kids we always got to choose our dinner, and I passed that tradition along to my boys who ALWAYS choose my lasagna and a homemade icecream cake (store bought icecream though). My favorite meal growing up was fried chicken, mac and cheese, and banana cake for dessert! Enjoy your day, Kelly A.!!!!!!!
Go to Top of Page

simpler1773
True Blue Farmgirl

234 Posts

Ricki
Ashland Wisconsin
USA
234 Posts

Posted - Feb 13 2007 :  03:53:16 AM  Show Profile  Send simpler1773 a Yahoo! Message
I love the red plate idea! I'm glad to read this thread because this yr with my 14 yr old daughter was a bit trying, and I really want to scale down the expectations for birthdays and yet keep them special.

~Ricki~
You can't pour anything out of an empty vessel, take care of yourself!
Go to Top of Page

_Rebecca_
True Blue Farmgirl

568 Posts

Rebecca
OK
USA
568 Posts

Posted - Feb 13 2007 :  09:27:12 AM  Show Profile
My son's favorite dinner is tostadas. He loves to create his own. I give him a tostada and he chooses from all the toppings. Among the list of toppings are: sliced black olives, shredded cheese, pinto beans, black beans, white corn, fresh chopped tomato & onion, salsa, taco meat, shredded lettuce, brown rice.

Usually we have it with sliced cantaloupe.

.·:*¨¨* :·.Rebecca.·:*¨¨* :·.
Wife of Jonathan, Mother of Joel, Caitlyn, Elia, Nathanael
Go to Top of Page

Persephone
True Blue Farmgirl

172 Posts

Katrina
Indiana
USA
172 Posts

Posted - Feb 13 2007 :  10:02:05 AM  Show Profile
Our family is a brand new baby family, so we don't have a lot of traditions- I didn't bring any from my family, and neither did dh. But I want to make birthdays special, so here's what I've got so far: The birthday person gets any cake they want, homemade by me, and whatever they want for dinner. We decorate the dining room, and after dinner there's presents and cake. Um... what else? I do like the red plate idea. :)

My daughter's birthday was last month, and we did a healthy carrot cake for her, since she's one. :) With yogurt cheese frosting.

And dh's birthday is next week (to the day a month after dd's! :)), and he wants a Guinness chocolate cake, and lasagna. I have yet to get him a present and a card... (Though I think I'm going to get him a Colts Champions tshirt (we live in IN :D), and some new socks, cause he's running out of good socks.

Edited by - Persephone on Feb 13 2007 10:04:03 AM
Go to Top of Page

ddmashayekhi
True Blue Farmgirl

4742 Posts

Dawn
Naperville Illinois
USA
4742 Posts

Posted - Feb 13 2007 :  2:52:21 PM  Show Profile
I have 3 sons, 24, 21 and 3. (Yes, I did start over with my second husband). I always have the older boys tell me what kind of meal and cake they want me to make. Since my lads were born in the following order: June, July and August, they make sure to choose different cakes. Once my youngest son is old enough to let me know what he wants, he'll carry on the tradition I already started. We always eat outside unless it's too hot, then it's the dining room for birthdays. The red plate sounds fun, maybe I'll add that to our tradition.

Dawn in IL
Go to Top of Page

KellyA
True Blue Farmgirl

237 Posts

Kelly
Johnsonville NY
USA
237 Posts

Posted - Feb 13 2007 :  4:30:47 PM  Show Profile  Send KellyA an AOL message
Thank you, Nance! I will be double 4's, but it doesn't feel like it!

Kelly

Go to Top of Page

KellyA
True Blue Farmgirl

237 Posts

Kelly
Johnsonville NY
USA
237 Posts

Posted - Feb 13 2007 :  4:33:15 PM  Show Profile  Send KellyA an AOL message
Persephone...you have me curious about the Guinness chocolate cake...is it with Guinness beer? (the only beer I like!!) Can I have the recipe?

Kelly

Go to Top of Page

gregs_lil_farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

219 Posts

birdi
hartford me
USA
219 Posts

Posted - Feb 14 2007 :  12:30:37 PM  Show Profile  Send gregs_lil_farmgirl a Yahoo! Message
Birthdays for me were always a challenge...being so close after Christmas..44 days after for me...that when my son was young..he too had that problem...12 days after(epipheny)so........
we have always done the whatever you want for supper thing...bu tfor special for him.

I am a cake decorator and I would let him pick any cake from my Wilton books that he wanted..no matter how big or complicated and take it to school, or sunday school to share his birthday. One year, wouldn't you know...there was a huge roller coaster cake on the cover and thats what he wanted...there were ove 100 tic tacs standing upright with royal frosting joining them to make the rails....oooooYYYY!!! was ever glad that was over! haha. I will always have some nice memories though.

-Simple pleasures make my heart smile-
Go to Top of Page

KellyA
True Blue Farmgirl

237 Posts

Kelly
Johnsonville NY
USA
237 Posts

Posted - Feb 15 2007 :  05:59:53 AM  Show Profile  Send KellyA an AOL message
I like to decorate cakes too, and I remember that roller coaster cake!!!! Kudos on attempting it!

Kelly

Go to Top of Page

Meg
Moderator/Farmgirl True

974 Posts

Meg
Idaho
USA
974 Posts

Posted - Feb 15 2007 :  11:13:31 AM  Show Profile
Kelly, I hope your day is wonderful! Fun to know what you'll be getting. Libbie, the red plate is a very cute idea. I love little traditions like that. At our house, we do a birthday chair. We tie flowers/leaves/branches (depends on the season) to a chair and the birthday person gets to sit in their 'birthday chair' for each meal.

MaryJane's daughter,

Meg
megan@maryjanesfarm.org
Go to Top of Page

Nancy Gartenman
True Blue Farmgirl

9093 Posts

Nancy
West Seneca New York
USA
9093 Posts

Posted - Feb 15 2007 :  12:29:12 PM  Show Profile
MEG,
That Birthday chair idea sounds like a real good one. We have four Grand daughters so just might use your tradition up here in western NY. IT COULD SWEEP THE NATION, WHO KNOWS.
NANCY JO

www.Nancy-Jo.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Persephone
True Blue Farmgirl

172 Posts

Katrina
Indiana
USA
172 Posts

Posted - Feb 15 2007 :  12:55:58 PM  Show Profile
Here's the cake recipe: I haven't tried it yet, so if you want a review, you're going to have to wait another week! :)(Btw, the addendums at the end aren't mine. I would NEVER use low fat dairy products! :))

Guinness chocolate cake

1 c. Guinness (i used "extra stout")
1 stick + 2 T. unsalted butter

heat until butter is melted in large, wide saucepan. remove from heat source, and whisk in:

3/4 c. unsweetened cocoa
2 c. superfine sugar (i used regular with good results)

in a seperate bowl, beat the following ingredients together:

3/4 c. sour cream
2 eggs
1 T. vanilla

pour sour cream/eggs/vanilla mixture to beer/cocoa mixture and whisk together, adding:

2 c. all-purpose flour
2 + 1/2 t. baking soda

pour cake into a greased and floured 9" springform pan. bake 45-60 minutes at 350 degrees.

frost with cream cheese icing when cooled. refrigerate.

cream cheese icing

8. oz. cream cheese
1 + 1/4 c. confectioners sugar
1/2 c. heavy cream

whisk ingredients together. "ice" warm cake, once cake has been transfered to serving plate.

now, my changes:
-i lightly greased the pan but dusted it with unsweetened cocoa instead of flour, as to not "whiten" the cake. it was nice. the icing takes care of any bitterness of the cocoa.
-i used low-fat sour cream instead of regular fat sour cream, no detectable problems
-i used neufatchel (low fat cream cheese) instead of cream cheese for the icing with good result
-for a lower-sugar recipe, i think this cake would be quite lovely without the icing altogether, but I'm not one who prefers things very, very sweet. it's heavy, dank, and quite moist. i't be rather lovely with a small scoop of good vanilla bean ice cream instead of the icing.
-i baked it the full 60 minutes
Go to Top of Page

KellyA
True Blue Farmgirl

237 Posts

Kelly
Johnsonville NY
USA
237 Posts

Posted - Feb 15 2007 :  3:24:49 PM  Show Profile  Send KellyA an AOL message
Thank you, Persephone!!!

Go to Top of Page

GaiasRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2552 Posts

Tasha-Rose
St. Paul Minnesota
2552 Posts

Posted - Feb 15 2007 :  4:14:38 PM  Show Profile
We wear specially made birthday crowns made by yours truly-usually-and we get the cake of our choosing...again baked by me.

~*~Brightest Blessings~*~
Tasha-Rose

Blogs: http://gaiarose.wordpress.com
http://frugalwitch.wordpress.com
http://tasharose365.wordpress.com/
Homepage: http://mysticwoodsfarm.com
http://gaiasrose.etsy.com
Birth is safe, interference is risky; TRUST BIRTH
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Farmgirl Birthdays: Previous Topic Birthday traditions Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic