Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Garden Gate
 Need help trimming paperwhite blooms
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Garden Gate: Previous Topic Need help trimming paperwhite blooms Next Topic  

MsCwick
True Blue Farmgirl

775 Posts

Cristine
Farmville Virginia
USA
775 Posts

Posted - Feb 09 2007 :  12:28:54 PM  Show Profile
I recently got some paperwhites from walmart, and they bloomed soo nicely and smell great, and I know they should keep blooming if I trim them properly, but I threw away the piece of paper that said where and when to trim the old blooms at. Can anyone help???

Thanks,CRistine

Bridge
True Blue Farmgirl

814 Posts

Bridgette
Southern Indiana
USA
814 Posts

Posted - Feb 09 2007 :  1:00:18 PM  Show Profile
Everything I have read states Paperwhites bloom four to eight weeks after potting. They bloom only once, so discard bulbs after they have flowered.

I'll be interested to see if this isn't true, that would be really cool if they could re-bloom.

~~Bridge's Boutique~~
Go to Top of Page

MsCwick
True Blue Farmgirl

775 Posts

Cristine
Farmville Virginia
USA
775 Posts

Posted - Feb 09 2007 :  1:11:39 PM  Show Profile
ok. am I thinking that they are amaryllis? I could take a picture of them if I need to. But the paper said the bulbs would keep multiplying, and to trim the blooms, but i don't want to cut them in the wrong place.
Go to Top of Page

Mumof3
True Blue Farmgirl

3890 Posts

Karin
Ellenwood GA
USA
3890 Posts

Posted - Feb 09 2007 :  1:30:23 PM  Show Profile
Paperwhites have multiple small white blossoms on tall, slender stems. Amaryllis is a chunkier, sturdy stem with large blossoms.
If it's paperwhites, they will only bloom once, but don't toss the bulbs. You can let the leaves and stems die back, cut them off and transplant the bulbs into your garden in the fall. I have quite a collection in my yard from doing just that!

Karin
Go to Top of Page

Nance in France
True Blue Farmgirl

1438 Posts

Nancy
St. Laurent de la Salanque
France
1438 Posts

Posted - Feb 10 2007 :  03:39:19 AM  Show Profile
Cristine before you chuck them, IF you had them planted in soil, you can put them outside in the ground and they will rebloom a year or two later. If they were "forced" in a glass with only water then they have exhausted all their resources, and the only thing to do is to chuck them.....even better if you have a compost pile or can throw them on ground somewhere because they will decompose and enrich our planet a teeny tiny bit! This logic goes for most bulbs, too, by the way. Happy planting and sniffing! Nance
Go to Top of Page

katie-ell
True Blue Farmgirl

1818 Posts

Katie
Illinois
1818 Posts

Posted - Feb 10 2007 :  05:51:18 AM  Show Profile
Here in the midwest, we can't plant our paperwhites into the garden for them to bloom there in subsequent years . . . our winters are too cold for them to survive. So we toss 'em after blooming (onto the compost pile). I have one set in soil and one set in water and am just getting the first blooms. How lovely to have blooms right now, when it's below zero outside!
Go to Top of Page
  Garden Gate: Previous Topic Need help trimming paperwhite blooms Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page