Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Parenting & Farm Kids
 Anyone use a baby sling?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Parenting & Farm Kids: Previous Topic Anyone use a baby sling? Next Topic
Page: of 2

Persephone
True Blue Farmgirl

172 Posts

Katrina
Indiana
USA
172 Posts

Posted - Mar 13 2007 :  09:55:46 AM  Show Profile
I can finally reply to this! (I have a lot of free time, dd is napping! :D)

I knew that I wanted to use a sling when I first saw one- this was before any kids. I am always interested in traveling light, and I thought, "a carrier made out of cloth that you can stuff in your diaper bag?? Can't get much "lighter" than that!", and I was pretty much sold. I also heard about how it helps bonding, keeps the baby from crying more, and is better for their spinal development. I was originally going to get an unpadded ring sling, but I wanted ONE carrier that could do any type of carry, and that would be good from newborn all the way through to toddler stage. So, I went with an Ellaroo wrap. I originally was just going to make one (it's just a long piece of cloth, right??), but once I saw one in person- the woven fabric, and the stunning colors- I had to own one. Luckily I found one used for about 40% of the original price. I wore dd in that from about two weeks onward. When she was around 9 or 10 months old, wearing her on my front was getting hard and painful, so I tried to get her on my back. Still haven't figured that one out. I also did end up getting a solarveil sling for showers and pools, and we rarely use it, but I find it more comfortable wearing her in it on my hip than I do the Ellaroo in front. She's 13 months old now,and still really tiny, and I think we may try back carries again this spring, since we'll be taking walks and such. Anyway, I highly recommend the Ellaroo. I love it, and it really became a badge of my motherhood, and a fashion accessory. :)

If I can't end up getting her on my back in the Ellaroo, we may consider a Mei Tai, or an Ergo- but as of right now, no experience with those.
Go to Top of Page

scgwagner
Farmgirl in Training

36 Posts

Sarah
Bloomington Indiana
USA
36 Posts

Posted - Mar 13 2007 :  3:01:21 PM  Show Profile
Hello all!
Okay, I have used almost every type of baby carrier known to woman! I have 2 Snuglis (don't use this!! Bad for baby's back!), Maya Wrap (excellent for all ages, but hurts my back and shoulder with all the weight only on one shoulder, also makes me get hot quickly, however, I should add that my sister, Smoothiejuice, who has 7 children, and twins, LOVES the Maya Wrap and is a constant user.). I also have a frame backpack that is uncomfortable so I've never used it, and an Infantino baby carrier that is also bad because all the weight is concentrated on baby's backbone. I've never used the Mei Tai, but have seen it used, and I can't figure out how that can be easy to use. I have two daughters, 4 & 1 1/2, and number three baby on the way, and a husband who needs the EASIEST carrier to put on and off. I have finally gotten an Ergo baby carrier and I can tell you, I have never had any back trouble at all, it is soooooo easy to to put on and off, you don't get tangled in anything and both of my daughters can be carried in it. I don't have the infant insert which makes it like a sling, but my sister is going to make me one! So of all the carriers I have used, researched, read about, talked to others about, by far the BEST in my own experience for time period of use and quality for the money, Ergo is the way to go. Spend the money, buy the Ergo. You will not be sorry. Anyone can use this, even bigger people, like my father (they sell an extension), and not quite adept people like some of my friends. It's not bulky and hot like other slings, and it's not difficult to get baby in and out of (especially while sleeping!). Ergo, it's the way to go.
Sarah
Go to Top of Page

ArmyWifey
True Blue Farmgirl

712 Posts

Holly
Abilene KS
712 Posts

Posted - Mar 13 2007 :  9:30:17 PM  Show Profile
I thought I had posted on this already...

I loved my Maya Wrap too! Easy, light, comfy, makes a blanket/strap for the shopping cart, big enough for hubby to wear & pretty! Although I do think the new ones that wrap around look comfy and more balanced.

As for me and my house, we will serve the Lord!

Edited by - ArmyWifey on Mar 13 2007 9:30:50 PM
Go to Top of Page

marisa
Farmgirl in Training

15 Posts

marisa
fort worth texas
USA
15 Posts

Posted - Mar 15 2007 :  09:40:04 AM  Show Profile  Send marisa an AOL message  Send marisa a Yahoo! Message
I wasn't crazy about the Ergo. I'm kind of fleshy up top with a large chest and I could NEVER use it on my back. It made my arms go numb. It was okay in front, but then my kids got to where they wanted to face out. I didn't find it was worth the money.

I'm a big fan of 4-5 yds of stretchy fabric as a wrap.
Otherwise, I just use a simple pouch. But my 1 year old doesn't like to be in it very long!
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Parenting & Farm Kids: Previous Topic Anyone use a baby sling? Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page