Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Make It Easy
 Restoring/resurfacing an old sink -- need help
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Make It Easy: Previous Topic Restoring/resurfacing an old sink -- need help Next Topic  

happymama58
True Blue Farmgirl

1210 Posts

Patti
Missouri
USA
1210 Posts

Posted - Feb 09 2007 :  06:15:48 AM  Show Profile
I bought an old farm sink (two basins and a drainboard on each side) that is white enamel over metal. It is stained and has 4 or 5 chips (not very large but noticeable), and I'd like to refinish it. I was planning to do an internet search, since no stores in my area have anything and nobody had any suggestions, but thought someone here might have some experience in doing this and would be able to make some recommendations about sites, products, etc. Any help is appreciated, and I'm not in a huge hurry!

Some people search for happiness; others create it.

http://happymama58.typepad.com/my_weblog/

Please visit me at www.marykay.com/pmiinch

RobinB
Farmgirl in Training

32 Posts

Robin
Rockvale Tennessee
USA
32 Posts

Posted - Feb 09 2007 :  06:49:59 AM  Show Profile
Patti, try your local yellow pages under Bathtub/Sink Repairs and Refinishing. I was in the market for refinished claw foot tubs recently and found a man in the yellow pages that does this and lives about 10 minutes from me. I asked him about sinks and he said he charges about $50 to $75, depending on the sink. I know he will sand blast them first and fill in any chips. Bathtubs were considerably more ($450). He had some old tubs from the 1930s and I wound up buying 2 he will refinish. Good luck.
Go to Top of Page

Tina Michelle
True Blue Farmgirl

6948 Posts

Tina
sunshine state FL
USA
6948 Posts

Posted - Feb 09 2007 :  07:21:17 AM  Show Profile
you can try your local home depot/Lowe's for a product called "Tough as Tile"
it is for redoing tubs, and sinks, and is also a product that can be dyed with some colors.

It can also be used as a covering over kitchen laminate counters.

best of wishes.hope you find what you need to get the job done.

~Seize the Day! Live, Love, Laugh~
Go to Top of Page

happymama58
True Blue Farmgirl

1210 Posts

Patti
Missouri
USA
1210 Posts

Posted - Feb 09 2007 :  08:31:37 AM  Show Profile
Thanks, ladies. I had checked the phone book and called the people who do any type of home repair, particularly bathroom or kitchen remodelling, and none of the 6 had a clue what to do with an old sink. They seemed tacken aback that I had one and wanted to keep it. One lady kept saying that I could buy a new sink for less than restoring my old one.

Next time I'm in a town with a Lowes or Home Depot I'll look for Tough as Tile. Thanks for the product name, Tina.

Some people search for happiness; others create it.

http://happymama58.typepad.com/my_weblog/

Please visit me at www.marykay.com/pmiinch
Go to Top of Page

abbasgurl
True Blue Farmgirl

1262 Posts

Rhonda

USA
1262 Posts

Posted - Feb 09 2007 :  5:10:22 PM  Show Profile
Patti,
When we built our house the contractor's crew damaged my bathtub. He knew exactly who to call to have the scratches buffed out. You might ask area contractors who they recommend for this kind of job. I find most folks at bigger retail stores just scratch their noggin at some of my odd requests.
Rhonda

I'm a one girl revolution.
Go to Top of Page
  Make It Easy: Previous Topic Restoring/resurfacing an old sink -- need help Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page