vintagechica
True Blue Farmgirl

438 Posts

Eren
Poolville TX
USA
438 Posts

Posted - Jan 09 2007 :  12:36:03 PM  Show Profile
Im not sure if this is the appropriate place for this topic, but here goes. We have sweaty windows not that the cold weather has arrived to stay and the paint is chipping off the wooden sashes. When I clean them the paint just chips right off. Any way to solve this problem? Or do I just need to keep the paint can handy? Thanks for any help!!!

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
A sure way to avoid housework...live outdoors.

www.vintagechica.typepad.com

Libbie
Farmgirl Connection Cultivator

3579 Posts

Anne E.
Elsinore Utah
USA
3579 Posts

Posted - Jan 09 2007 :  1:25:59 PM  Show Profile
Oh, Eren! We have that same problem and I sure would love to hear any suggestions...

XOXO, Libbie

"Nothing is worth more than this day." - Goethe
Go to Top of Page

Rosemary
True Blue Farmgirl

1825 Posts

Virginia
USA
1825 Posts

Posted - Jan 09 2007 :  1:30:14 PM  Show Profile
We had this problem with our 100-year-old single-paned windows. Replacing them with energy-efficient ones solved the problem very nicely -- but at what cost! It took us a long time to be able to do it, and even then, we had to go one or two windows at a time. (I saved the wavy glass. Don't know what I'll do with it yet, but something will come to me.)

Your condensation problem could be managed temporarily with handmade storm windows. Everyone hates to use plastic, but if you re-use your made-up windows as lean-together row covers for young plants in early spring, maybe you could feel a little better about it. Buy the clearest stuff you can and stretch it over a frame of 2x2 to the size of your exterior window opening. If you're lucky, you can wedge them in without nailing, which will save your exterior woodwork from damage. Little carpenters' "biscuits," sort of like shims, can help give you a tighter fit without nails, also.

Until you get the condensation problem under control, your wood will suffer. Your paint is peeling because there's moisture under it, forcing its way up. Also, the wood is swelling, with the same result. Bottom line is the wood is rotting, so repainting is only a temporary cosmetic solution.

Wish I could be more helpful, or at least more encouraging about a cheap way to get this problem solved.

Oh, one more thought. Is this happening to all your windows, or maybe just ones on a shady side of the house? Are there trees on that side that might be blocking sunlight? If so, you might want to consider pruning the trees to let in more light, which could help some.

Edited by - Rosemary on Jan 09 2007 1:33:20 PM
Go to Top of Page

Bridge
True Blue Farmgirl

814 Posts

Bridgette
Southern Indiana
USA
814 Posts

Posted - Jan 09 2007 :  2:54:08 PM  Show Profile
I have the same problem, I take a old towel and wipe them when I see them. Not very affective, but helps a little bit.
I live in a mobile home, so there is no way I will replace the windows. They have storm windows, but they still get sweaty. The ones with storm windows I can not wipe down because the storm windows are on the inside.

But Rosemary,s suggestion got me thinking.... I usually put plastic on my windows that don't have storm panes.
My windows have a lip that holds the summer screens on the outside. If I created winter storm panes with frames the same thickness they should fit in the lip. Plus I like the idea of using them as row covers!! If I use them with the other storm windows, I would have "hillbilly" {used with fun} triple pane windows!!

~~Bridge's Boutique~~
Go to Top of Page

vintagechica
True Blue Farmgirl

438 Posts

Eren
Poolville TX
USA
438 Posts

Posted - Jan 09 2007 :  5:07:06 PM  Show Profile
It happens to all of our windows...esp. like tonight when I was really cooking a lot. From the outside, you couldnt even see in because of all of the condensation, LOL! We are selling the house in 6 mo. and moving, so I dont think new windows is a possiblity. So, Ill just keep re-painting, but wiping them down is a simple way to keep the paint a little longer...hadnt thought about that.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
A sure way to avoid housework...live outdoors.

www.vintagechica.typepad.com
Go to Top of Page
  Make It Easy: Previous Topic Sweaty Windows? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page