Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Entrepreneurship
 what would you look for?....a few added ?,s
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Entrepreneurship: Previous Topic what would you look for?....a few added ?,s Next Topic
Page: of 2

Tina Michelle
True Blue Farmgirl

6948 Posts

Tina
sunshine state FL
USA
6948 Posts

Posted - Feb 05 2007 :  11:50:29 AM  Show Profile
what would you look for in a boutique type store? What types of items draw your attention first, and what type of items would you be more likely to actually buy and take home or give as a gift?
Wanting a few ideas.
Thanks.

~Seize the Day! Live, Love, Laugh~

Edited by - Tina Michelle on Mar 14 2007 3:04:35 PM

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Feb 05 2007 :  12:03:15 PM  Show Profile
I always love to spend time in a shop if it has calm music playing, plants and other homey additions, earthy colors and smells good..not overpowering, but nice. I guess my attention is drawn to old fashioned kitchen items, books and small things. I love candles and plants alot too..for myself as well as for gifts.

Jenny in Utah
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com

Edited by - Aunt Jenny on Feb 05 2007 12:03:38 PM
Go to Top of Page

Tina Michelle
True Blue Farmgirl

6948 Posts

Tina
sunshine state FL
USA
6948 Posts

Posted - Feb 05 2007 :  12:05:20 PM  Show Profile
cool, thanks so much for the idea..why I'm asking is that my husband has let me know that once we pay off some equipment he will then give me the same amount of money to use towards a boutique/inventory opening if I wish.

Go to Top of Page

lilpunkin
True Blue Farmgirl

368 Posts

Texas
USA
368 Posts

Posted - Feb 05 2007 :  12:26:33 PM  Show Profile
Tina, I would say that the enviroment of the place is a huge attractant to me. I love the smells and the atmosphere of a boutique. I have a favorite little shop that I love to go to. The name of it is the Fox's Den. And it is a store that keeps me coming back because of the atmosphere. Plus they sell great stuff that I just love! And Congrats on your future endeavor! What a sweet Honey you have!

Life isn't measured by how many breaths you take, but by how many moments take your breath away.
Go to Top of Page

lilpunkin
True Blue Farmgirl

368 Posts

Texas
USA
368 Posts

Posted - Feb 05 2007 :  12:29:59 PM  Show Profile
Here is a pic of the fox den. They change up there outdoors look also. So it is ever changing.

http://www.downtownflorence.com/foxden/index.htm

Life isn't measured by how many breaths you take, but by how many moments take your breath away.
Go to Top of Page

blueroses
True Blue Farmgirl

1323 Posts

Debbie
in the Pandhandle of Idaho
USA
1323 Posts

Posted - Feb 05 2007 :  4:09:35 PM  Show Profile
I'm with the other ladies. The atmosphere is very important to me as well as having pretty music playing softly. I love looking at groupings or arrangments of certain colors or themes because it makes me want to buy. Beautiful scents of candles, potpourri, etc or so nice as long as it isn't overpowering.

"You cannot find peace...by avoiding life."
Virginia Woolfe
Go to Top of Page

Bluewrenn
True Blue Farmgirl

1122 Posts

Erin
Texas
USA
1122 Posts

Posted - Feb 05 2007 :  4:15:29 PM  Show Profile
Bright lights, Cleanliness & Orderly placement of items (versus untidy clutter).
COLOR is important.

For a small boutique, having a spot for men to sit while their wives shop may come in handy... Otherwise the men will usher the ladies out far too quickly. LOL

P.S. NO incense for this shopper as I'm allergic and can't even go near a store with incense. Even candles make it hard for me to enjoy a store. Usually I have to leave within minutes of smelling the candles.

My Homesteading Journal http://toomyvara.livejournal.com

My craft journal http://bluewrenn.livejournal.com

Go to Top of Page

Mumof3
True Blue Farmgirl

3890 Posts

Karin
Ellenwood GA
USA
3890 Posts

Posted - Feb 05 2007 :  4:27:30 PM  Show Profile
I'm with Jenny- if it smells nice and has lovely music, I will stay longer. I don't like places that are too crowded. I like to be able to see things instead of hunting and pecking. I am drawn to well-used and well-loved things- something that has a history. Ephemera, nicely handcrafted items, and old-fashioned craft items always catch my eye. I like quirky things, but nothing too kitschy. If things are arranged by theme, it always sucks me in- nothing like a great kitchen display or books neatly lined up.
How nice of your husband to help you along with this! Very cool.
Good luck!!

Karin
Go to Top of Page

kitchensqueen
True Blue Farmgirl

521 Posts

521 Posts

Posted - Feb 05 2007 :  5:37:54 PM  Show Profile
For me the atmosphere I like is a classic, warm color scheme, a cozy but not cluttered floorplan, maybe soft background music, and a nice scent (although one not so strong that it knocks you out). I like things with a vintage look. An example of inventory I like and think works well is Gooseberry Patch. Plus, they have a pretty inspiring DIY story-- two friends/neighbors who started a little mail order house when their kids were young, and now they've built it into something great.

http://apartmentfarm.wordpress.com
Go to Top of Page

Tina Michelle
True Blue Farmgirl

6948 Posts

Tina
sunshine state FL
USA
6948 Posts

Posted - Feb 05 2007 :  5:37:57 PM  Show Profile
I'm liking all of this input! thanks so much.

Go to Top of Page

shelle
True Blue Farmgirl

404 Posts

Shelle
oklahoma
USA
404 Posts

Posted - Feb 06 2007 :  3:21:54 PM  Show Profile
I agree that the atmosphere and good smells are an inviting thing. Music helps too. Things I would be interested in at a Boutique are Candles, specialty purses, spa type items like scrubs and the like, handmade soaps. Gift sets that are already made up with a theme like a spa set for a pedicure, sets geared toward men, children or holidays ect.

I would probably go to several boutiques and see what they are selling and write down ideas. Craft shows would also be a great place to find unique items and ideas.

Shelle
Go to Top of Page

blueroses
True Blue Farmgirl

1323 Posts

Debbie
in the Pandhandle of Idaho
USA
1323 Posts

Posted - Feb 07 2007 :  09:02:36 AM  Show Profile
I do like the idea of a place for the menfolk to sit. One of my fav stores in the next town has a bench right outside. So if we're together, dh will just sit there until I've had my fill.

"You cannot find peace...by avoiding life."
Virginia Woolfe
Go to Top of Page

EmmJay
True Blue Farmgirl

352 Posts

Mary Jane
Amherst Nova Scotia
Canada
352 Posts

Posted - Feb 07 2007 :  09:56:52 AM  Show Profile
I know that I am in Canada, but there was a small boutique I once visited, and it was calm in colors. The smell was just lovely, and I sat with a friend and had some herbal tea. This was offered at a reasonable cost to try and if liked to bring some home (Of course I bought some). I live quite far away, but I wish that there was something similar close by, as I still have fond memories, and smells...

"Thank GOD I'm a country girl"
http://s119.photobucket.com/albums/o134/EmmJay07/
Go to Top of Page

Leezard
True Blue Farmgirl

950 Posts

Elizabeth
Novi MI
USA
950 Posts

Posted - Feb 07 2007 :  11:03:45 AM  Show Profile
http://romanholiday.typepad.com/lavender_peonies/

That is one of my favorite shops and I've only been to it once. It's a little on the cluttered side but it's neatly done and they've got some really fantastic things to buy. Great yarns and fabric, fun goodies-retro style cookbooks, plates, etc. and handmade items from the fabric she sells-aprons, bags and such. She's got a fire place with a couch in front of it where they give knitting lessons, when I went in a pair of girls were taking a class and it looked so fun, and where just anyone can come in and sit down with their project and if it's not too busy the owner who runs the store may be able to sit down and chat with you. I wouldn't call it a typically soothing place with fragrance and earthy colors but it was so much fun I can't wait to go back and spend more time searching because I know I didn't get to see everything...actually, I'm heading up that way on Friday so I think I might have to take a little detour to go check it out again...lol

About things offered in the store, they weren't really your typical items like candles or glass pieces. She had retro magnets, all sorts of craft books for all ages, so many kinds of yarn and fabric, interesting cookbooks-my future sister-in-law picked up a great one but the name of it is slipping my mind. Costs varied, I felt everything I looked at was reasonably priced and the staff was very friendly and very open to answering any questions.

http://ruby--slippers.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Tina Michelle
True Blue Farmgirl

6948 Posts

Tina
sunshine state FL
USA
6948 Posts

Posted - Feb 07 2007 :  11:19:28 AM  Show Profile
thank you everyone. I'm collecting all of the ideas.
I visited a local boutique here recently and spoke with the owner for a while too.
She offered gourmet items for "create your own" gift baskets and things like wind chimes, and she had a section for folks to come in and find their own wedding invitations/stationery..although hers was o.k. and had a nice atmosphere..it still wasn't the idea I have in mind..I think you gals are all hitting pretty close to the things I have in mind though.
Clean/not cluttered, but a warm and welcoming atmosphere.
And since I too adore plants, the thought of carrying a few plants, and offering teas and so forth is a very nice concept.
I'll be doing more research.
Thanks!

Edited by - Tina Michelle on Feb 07 2007 11:33:45 AM
Go to Top of Page

daffodil dreamer
True Blue Farmgirl

805 Posts

Jayne
Hamilton Victoria
Australia
805 Posts

Posted - Feb 07 2007 :  8:22:50 PM  Show Profile
Tina,
Sounds exciting! I pretty much agree with everyone else. Smells nice, but not incense as that can be too overpowering. I like it to look cluttered, but too cluttered. You know what I mean - if things are grouped closely together, it is like looking for treasure! But not too cluttered - I like a bit of room to move without having to worry about sweeping a whole display to the ground with my bag!
As for actual items, pretty much what everyone else has said - candles, soaps and stuff, a garden seed rack (ones with hand drawn covers are nice), china, some nice gift cards (people will then buy them if they are buying a gift), plant pots, I could go on for ages.
All the best of luck - do you ever take a rest?!!
And thanks so much for your emails - I am working on hubby and I'll report back!!
Jayne
Go to Top of Page

Tina Michelle
True Blue Farmgirl

6948 Posts

Tina
sunshine state FL
USA
6948 Posts

Posted - Mar 14 2007 :  3:03:57 PM  Show Profile
o.k. adding another couple of questions here..what types of food items do you buy as gifts for folks? when buying a gift food item do you like to include it as part of a gift basket or do you like to present it gift wrapped or in a gift bag with tissue paper?

If buying a kitchen related gift for someone..what type of item do you look for first? linens,wine glasses, cutlery, candle holders, serving pieces?

If buying a gourmet type food item in a boutique..what type of item are you most attracted to?
wines, teas, crackers, dipping sauces,spices, specialty cookies?

Thanks in advance for answering my questions..just working on some ideas here and trying to get going but needing some ideas/input on which direction I'll go.

Go to Top of Page

Buttercup
True Blue Farmgirl

1433 Posts

Talitha
Vermont
USA
1433 Posts

Posted - Mar 14 2007 :  6:35:35 PM  Show Profile  Click to see Buttercup's MSN Messenger address
What types of food items do you buy as gifts for folks?

A variety depending on the person I am buying for. Pasta items, candies, snacks, jams/jellies/preserves, would be the most common ones

When buying a gift food item do you like to include it as part of a gift basket or do you like to present it gift wrapped or in a gift bag with tissue paper?

I love stores that allow you to "create" your own gift basket where you select the items you want and for a price they wrap it up in a basket/container in a lovely presentation for you to give. Those are my favorites. If it is just a quicky gift ( a friend I thought of etc) then I tend to choose things that are already packaged nicely that I can give as they are (minus the price tag of course) Oh and a big PS here!! it sounds silly but so many stores do it...watch where you put the price tags and place them where it does not keep the customer from being able to read/see the product fully and where it can be removed easily without ruining what they bought.

If buying a kitchen related gift for someone..what type of item do you look for first? linens,wine glasses, cutlery, candle holders, serving pieces?

Serving pieces and at times candle holders and cookbooks but in a "create your own" gift basket place I am more likly to buy a few extra pieces such as handy tools, wine glass markers, etc

If buying a gourmet type food item in a boutique..what type of item are you most attracted to?
wines, teas, crackers, dipping sauces,spices, specialty cookies?

teas, crackers, and dipping sauces

Hope this helped! And I did own my own store before and managed one as well so if you need anything at all please let me know, I would be thrilled to help you succeed!
Hugz!
Talitha

"If we could maintain the wonder of childhood and at the same time grasp the wisdom of age, what wonder,what wisdom,what life would be ours"

Edited by - Buttercup on Mar 14 2007 6:37:53 PM
Go to Top of Page

Lizabeth
True Blue Farmgirl

560 Posts

Washington
560 Posts

Posted - Mar 14 2007 :  9:24:54 PM  Show Profile
I'll add my 2 cents... I love fountains. they are so calming. I have only visited one or two stores ever that had a quiet fountain in the background. Doesn't have to be a large one, just a simple $25-$35.00 fountain. That makes me stay and look at anything and everything offered in the store.
Go to Top of Page

Tina Michelle
True Blue Farmgirl

6948 Posts

Tina
sunshine state FL
USA
6948 Posts

Posted - Mar 14 2007 :  10:33:04 PM  Show Profile
thank you both so much for the input.

Talitha...can you email me? and let me know a bit more about the type of store you used to have...I'd love to hear more.

thanks!
Tina

Go to Top of Page

owwlady
True Blue Farmgirl

899 Posts

Jan
Tomahawk WI
USA
899 Posts

Posted - Mar 15 2007 :  2:21:05 PM  Show Profile
I like stores that use antique hutches and tables to display their items. I like to wander through displays, not straight aisles. Baskets of things here and there, not piled neatly on a shelf (I can see that at WalMart). Not chaos, just casual. Drawers open with things inside, dried flower arrangements here and there...I like the mixture of antiques, collectibles, practical items etc. And I agree with scents and plants, subtle lighting, and soft music. I want to feel cozy, don't know how else to explain it. Oh, and floral fabric patterns on something...anything!
Go to Top of Page

therusticcottage
True Blue Farmgirl

4439 Posts

Kay
Vancouver WA
USA
4439 Posts

Posted - Mar 15 2007 :  7:07:03 PM  Show Profile
I love a store that has lots of displays full of unusual things. Lots of hutches, shelves, furniture groupings with white chippy paint, unusual display items filled with soaps, candles, home decor, fluffy pillows, throws, vintage items, anything pink with roses and cottage looking.

When Missy owned her store she worked very hard to make sure that people found it a place to unwind. We always had music playing, a candle burning so it smelled wonderful, and were constantly changing things around to make it look fresh. We had several customers that would come on their lunch hour just so that they relax -- they'd say as soon as they walked in the door they could feel the stress disappearing. That was exactly the atmosphere we tried to create because that's how we love to shop!

http://stores.ebay.com/Anna-Rosetta

Edited by - therusticcottage on Mar 15 2007 7:08:19 PM
Go to Top of Page

Tina Michelle
True Blue Farmgirl

6948 Posts

Tina
sunshine state FL
USA
6948 Posts

Posted - Mar 15 2007 :  7:35:59 PM  Show Profile
Thanks so much gals! I have loved all of the input!

I have been looking into trying to find space that can be sublet.
And in it I want to start out gradually..because right now I cannot afford to jump in all the way financially with having a building to rent on my own..too much overhead..so I am hoping to find a store that will allow me to rent a small portion at first..then to build up from there.

What I'm looking into right now are some high quality gourmet items and mixes/kitchen wares/home decor items/garden related items.
The focus will mainly be on gourmet kitchen...but with a garden/cottage theme with the home decor type items.
I have also been looking at really nice little art prints to incorporate into the decor/offerings.

To start with I probably won't have much space..but of course I am keeping a file on everyone's ideas that they have contributed here.

I would love to also eventually buy from some of the farmgals here and offer some of the products in the shop.

I already have a name picked out, and my idea for logo.

I have the look all "in my head" right now..and working on finding the products.

I so very much appreciate the input.

Have some numbers to call tomorrow on some office spaces we came across for rent..if the rent is rasonable I could see just jumping in all the way..but if not..then I'll have to build up to that point....but also need to inquire at a local antique type mall that also has modern home decor items infused throughout and a variety of vendors..not just antique..so if I could get into that shop to start with I think that would be a good thing.

Again..a "we shall see" type situation.

Thanks!

Go to Top of Page

Buttercup
True Blue Farmgirl

1433 Posts

Talitha
Vermont
USA
1433 Posts

Posted - Mar 15 2007 :  10:31:55 PM  Show Profile  Click to see Buttercup's MSN Messenger address
Sounds wonderful Tina!! And so many great ideas here! Can't wait to hear more about it and I wish you the very best!!
Hugz!
Talitha

"If we could maintain the wonder of childhood and at the same time grasp the wisdom of age, what wonder,what wisdom,what life would be ours"
Go to Top of Page

westernhorse51
True Blue Farmgirl

1681 Posts

michele
farmingdale n.j.
USA
1681 Posts

Posted - Mar 16 2007 :  05:30:55 AM  Show Profile
Tina good luck, I hope you get exactly what your looking for. You got alot of good advice & ideas. I have some also but they are alot like what it already here. Do you know exactly what type it will be yet, or are you still deciding? I wish you the best of luck w/ it.

she selects wool and flax and works with eager hands Prov.31:13
Go to Top of Page

Tina Michelle
True Blue Farmgirl

6948 Posts

Tina
sunshine state FL
USA
6948 Posts

Posted - Mar 16 2007 :  11:50:01 AM  Show Profile
still in the decision/idea process.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Entrepreneurship: Previous Topic what would you look for?....a few added ?,s Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page