LizDarnell
True Blue Farmgirl

102 Posts

Liz
Gulfport MS
USA
102 Posts

Posted - Jan 31 2007 :  5:48:45 PM  Show Profile
I am looking for a white cake recipe that is bakery/wedding style, you know light moist and so yummy it melts in your mouth. I ordered a fabulous white cake with buttercream frosting for DH's birthday, a super sweet woman makes them but I'd love to be able to make it at home and much cheaper. Also if anyone has a great frosting recipe I'm open for those too,
I have one Buttercream recipe but I'm not sure if it will be "the one". Thanks Ladies!!
~Liz

knewslady
True Blue Farmgirl

555 Posts

Kathy
Russellville KY
USA
555 Posts

Posted - Feb 01 2007 :  04:52:12 AM  Show Profile
Are you bent on making it from scratch? I know the lady in town who does most of the wedding cakes around here uses nothing but Duncan Hines cake mixes. I know the Red Velvet cake mix from Duncan Hines is more moist than the one I make from scratch. Just a thought.
Kathy

Will always be a farmgirl at heart
Go to Top of Page

LizDarnell
True Blue Farmgirl

102 Posts

Liz
Gulfport MS
USA
102 Posts

Posted - Feb 01 2007 :  05:52:39 AM  Show Profile
My mom makes the most fabulous red cakes, but when I try they are far from her quality so I use the box mix and top it with Mom's frosting and that is as good as I can get it. I may have to try the Duncan Hines mix and then try out a few different frostings, the frosting will make the cake if its the right one.........I have been going through a bit of a sweet/sugar attack for almost 2 weeks now and am hoping it quits soon! Thanks for the tips!!
Go to Top of Page

MustangSuzie
True Blue Farmgirl

634 Posts

Sarah
New London Missouri
USA
634 Posts

Posted - Feb 01 2007 :  06:29:45 AM  Show Profile  Send MustangSuzie a Yahoo! Message
I know some people who make wedding cakes and the like and they always buy their cake mixes from Aldi.

Blessings....
Sarah

Edited by - MustangSuzie on Feb 01 2007 06:31:06 AM
Go to Top of Page

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - Feb 01 2007 :  08:22:49 AM  Show Profile
Has anyone tried the Cake Doctor cookbook? I used to be bent on making everything from scratch, but she literally takes cake mixes and makes them fabulous with additions--she has a white wedding cake recipe in her book. I'll see if I can dig it up.

If you've never seen this book, and like cakes, it's a great one!

Related note, I don't think you can go wrong with Duncan Hines--I've screwed up every cake I've made from scratch--too dry, not done, no taste...

Just think of all of the roads there are...all of the things I haven't seen....yet.
Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic White Cake recipe?? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page