Bridge
True Blue Farmgirl

814 Posts

Bridgette
Southern Indiana
USA
814 Posts

Posted - Jan 31 2007 :  3:39:01 PM  Show Profile
I am so excited, I am getting a Red 6qt KitchenAid mixer for Valentines Day!!

Now for my question............
Does anyone have/use the grain mill attachment with their kitchenaid?
If so is it the one from KitchenAid or the Family Living one?

Also what other attachments do you find very useful??

Thanks Friends,

~~Bridge's Boutique~~

Edited by - Bridge on Jan 31 2007 3:42:28 PM

lilpunkin
True Blue Farmgirl

368 Posts

Texas
USA
368 Posts

Posted - Jan 31 2007 :  3:46:09 PM  Show Profile
OH I AM SO JEALOUS!!!! Red and all, WOW! Must wipe lip now!

Life isn't measured by how many breaths you take, but by how many moments take your breath away.
Go to Top of Page

doglady
True Blue Farmgirl

435 Posts

Tina
Howard Ohio
USA
435 Posts

Posted - Jan 31 2007 :  3:57:02 PM  Show Profile
I'm interested in seeing what attachments everyone gets the most use out of. My parents sent me the Professional 600 model for Christmas and the dough, has been flying every since. I received it right before Christmas - with a list of cookies that they wanted - and I can triple batches and make 3-4 different kinds of cookies in about 4 hours!! Ok, I'll calm down now but this is the first stand mixer that I have ever owned. I have been thinking of adding the ice cream attachment. Has anyone used that with their mixer? I can't wait to try making bread.

Tina

The dogs own the house but the people pay the mortgage!
www.kennelcreations.com
Go to Top of Page

faithymom
True Blue Farmgirl

360 Posts

Faith
Sandpoint ID
USA
360 Posts

Posted - Jan 31 2007 :  5:03:42 PM  Show Profile
Nice!!! and a 6 quart, too!
I have no attachments as the one I have I got from a bakery that closed, but I sure love that thing for bread and cookies (and the wedding cakes I do now and then)
Makes me wonder how I ever got along with my 4.5 q model...

I personally would love the pasta roller attachment. and the grinder with sausage maker stuff.
One thing I think would be super handy is to have an extra bowl.

"All television is educational television. The only question is, what is it teaching?"-Fmr. FCC Commissioner Nicholas Johnson

Edited by - faithymom on Jan 31 2007 5:04:25 PM
Go to Top of Page

Bridge
True Blue Farmgirl

814 Posts

Bridgette
Southern Indiana
USA
814 Posts

Posted - Feb 01 2007 :  05:30:23 AM  Show Profile
I seen some extra bowls on Ebay and they were alot less costly than what I had seen elsewhere on the web. I plan on getting one of those later also....

I really want to get a grain attachment, I think. I had been thinking about getting a grain mill but this way I could get 2 uses out of one thing. I may need to grind my own whole wheat, that way I can store it longer and without storing the flour in the freezer (another whole story)...

~~Bridge's Boutique~~
Go to Top of Page

ali2583
True Blue Farmgirl

404 Posts

Alison
Winnipeg Manitoba
Canada
404 Posts

Posted - Feb 01 2007 :  05:41:58 AM  Show Profile
I don't have any attachments, but if I did I would really like the meat grinder attachment, so I could do my own ground chuck.
It's so funny that I came upon this thread, since I just finished using my Kitchenaid for making sugar cookie dough. I only have the Ultra Power version (300 watts) but it suits me just fine. I also really like using the dough hook for perogy dough.

"God's gift to you is life. What you choose to do with that life is your gift to God"
Go to Top of Page

momtoeight
Farmgirl in Training

35 Posts

Laura
Medicine Bow WY
USA
35 Posts

Posted - Feb 13 2007 :  8:39:59 PM  Show Profile
I have a Kitchen Aid mixer, and I just love it. However, I do NOT use the Meat Grinder OR the Wheat Mill attachments. Here is why:

The mill does not make very fine flour. I like the ability to make fine flours for gravies and baked goods, and a coarser flour for corn, textured items, etc. I've used a K-Tec, and a Whisper Mill, and I'd never buy a Whisper Mill again - The design is awkward to clean, prone to clogs, it is no quieter to me than the K-Tec, and we had ours for just 1 month when the parts started showing signs of cracking. We cannot mill flour on the finest setting or it just skips across the blades and does not feed. The K-Tec did not mill as coarse flour as the Whisper Mill will, but it functioned better (until one of my kids knocked it off the cupboard - it survived the first time, but not the second!) - but it made the most terrific fine cake flour.

Milling grain, AND grinding wheat are heavy work. The Kitchen Aid IS a heavy duty machine, and will do them ok, but if you mill very much, or grind very much, then it will wear out much faster. We felt it was a better option for us to keep the KA for bread, mixing, and shredding, and to get separate appliances for milling and grinding, because when we bought them, we were baking bread daily, and grinding enough wild game and domestic meats to feed a family of 9 for several months out of each year. I could live without a grinder or mill for a while until I had to buy another, but I'd HATE to have to get by without the KA for a long time! :)

We have a Back to Basics Grinder (2 hp), and it is just amazing. It cuts through meats like butter, with no resistance. My son, who normally grinds the meat for us, complains that he cannot feed it fast enough (he is 18). We got it for $90, and it has been one of the best things we have ever purchased (right up there with the KA). We did have an attachment for the KA, but it did not grind the meat nearly as smoothly as the separate grinder does.

Just my opinion...

Firelight Web Studio - http://www.firelightwebstudio.com - Small Business Website Services with a Difference - Personal, Flexible, and Friendly
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Feb 14 2007 :  09:11:23 AM  Show Profile
I have a 20 year old Kitchen Aid (white) and love it. Mine is the basic model..not the real big one..but I love it. I do have the meat grinder attachment and use it alot and love it.
I use a whisper mill for grinding flour and love that too. I have a corona type hand wheat stone mill grinder for back up but don't use it much at all since I got the whisper mill.
I have the sausage stuffer and pasta plates for my KA too, but not the pasta roller. I always thought the slicer thing would be nice to have..but I have other slicers...
You will LOVE having a kitchen aid. I use mine nearly every single day.

Jenny in Utah
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Kitchen Aid Mixer?? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page