owwlady
True Blue Farmgirl

899 Posts

Jan
Tomahawk WI
USA
899 Posts

Posted - Jan 27 2007 :  9:51:03 PM  Show Profile
Up until now I've always lived in zone 5. Now I'm in zone 3. I'm assuming I'll have a very short growing season. Anyone else out there in zone 3? What is the typical growing season? Any ideas or tips on prolonging the growing season or starting up early will be appreciated. I'm also hoping to start a small orchard area with dwarf fruit trees. I've never grown fruit trees and have no idea what to look for. The only thing I know is to grow 2 different kinds of apple trees. That's about it.

Edited by - owwlady on Jan 27 2007 9:54:28 PM

vintagechica
True Blue Farmgirl

438 Posts

Eren
Poolville TX
USA
438 Posts

Posted - Jan 27 2007 :  11:11:44 PM  Show Profile
I think Im in Zone 3 depending on which map I look at. Im in Kenosha, WI. Where is Germantown? I know here it is what I would consider a fairly short regular growing season. But I grew up in Texas, LOL! But one thing that I have noticed is that I can grow things like lettuce, cabbage, spinach, etc. almost all year round...which I totally love!!! This past year my tomatoes didnt start bearing fruit until July I think and they were still set very heavy when we got our first freeze. I has counters and counters of green ones. I think I started putting cold weather things out in early May last year. Ive only lived here two summers, so I dont know if I could be of much help. And I've got nothing on the fruit trees, but it sure would be nice to grow my own apples...mmmm...

What do you like to grow in your garden? Ive already got my seed catalogs out and starting to plan.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
A sure way to avoid housework...live outdoors.

www.vintagechica.typepad.com
Go to Top of Page

ThymeForEweFarm
True Blue Farmgirl

705 Posts

Robin
An organic farm in the forest in Maine
USA
705 Posts

Posted - Jan 28 2007 :  05:19:14 AM  Show Profile
Zones have nothing to do with your growing season. The USDA zone map tells you only what the average coldest temperature in your area. You might have a longer growing season in zone three than I have in five.

http://www.farm-garden.com/marketfarmer/understanding_usda_hardiness_zones

Robin
www.robinfollette.com
www.thymeforewe.com
www.mainenature.org
Go to Top of Page

owwlady
True Blue Farmgirl

899 Posts

Jan
Tomahawk WI
USA
899 Posts

Posted - Jan 28 2007 :  10:21:17 AM  Show Profile
Eren, I'm now in Tomahawk WI which is 200 miles north of Germantown. (I don't know how to change my profile). I'm sure Kenosha is zone 5, most of Southern WI is, Germantown was and that's about 20 miles northwest of Downtown Milw. I ordered my seed catalogs online 2 days ago so I should get them in a week or so. Then I'll start planning. Ok Robin, now I'm confused...so that means the coldest winter temp? Does that just tell you what year round plants to chose that will be hardy for that area?
Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4195 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4195 Posts

Posted - Jan 28 2007 :  2:06:33 PM  Show Profile
Eren, go to your extension office, they can help you out. I live in north western Wis. Watch your weather, sometimes I can put out tomatoes in May, sometimes in June. Sometimes in freezes in Sept, or earlier, and sometimes later. Okay looks like I don't know much!!!!! Have fun.
Go to Top of Page

KarenP
True Blue Farmgirl

666 Posts

Karen
Chippewa Falls Wisconsin
USA
666 Posts

Posted - Jan 28 2007 :  2:18:02 PM  Show Profile
Jan,
I'm here in Chippewa Falls, and we seem to be on the border for 3 and 4.
Here's Burpee's site with the map
http://www.burpee.com/shopping/search/zipzonemain.jsp?KickerID=744&KICKER
I watch the zones for perennials and just watch how many days to maturity on the veggies etc.
Jan to change your profile...click on profile above.
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
click on profile above where you login.
KarenP

"Purest Spring Water in the World"
Go to Top of Page

ThymeForEweFarm
True Blue Farmgirl

705 Posts

Robin
An organic farm in the forest in Maine
USA
705 Posts

Posted - Jan 28 2007 :  2:40:18 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by owwlady

Ok Robin, now I'm confused...so that means the coldest winter temp? Does that just tell you what year round plants to chose that will be hardy for that area?

Right! It's useful when you're choosing perennials. If you live in an area where you can grow annuals year round it's also helpful. What you really need to know is when the average last and first frost dates are each growing season. That will give you a good idea of when you can put seeds and seedlings in the ground.

Robin
www.robinfollette.com
www.thymeforewe.com
www.mainenature.org
Go to Top of Page

owwlady
True Blue Farmgirl

899 Posts

Jan
Tomahawk WI
USA
899 Posts

Posted - Jan 28 2007 :  5:55:05 PM  Show Profile
Thanks Karen for the info. Ok Robin, I get it now...thanks
Go to Top of Page

Jana
True Blue Farmgirl

482 Posts

Jana
Eau Claire Wisconsin
USA
482 Posts

Posted - Jan 28 2007 :  7:56:05 PM  Show Profile
Jan,
Hi! I'm in Eau Claire, Wisconsin. We are zone 3-4, depending on where you are. I'm in zone 3. There are many apple orchards and berry farms in our area, so you shouldn't have too much trouble with that.
These last 3 years have been VERY dry for us, some super hot days as well. Usually you can count on last frost here being about mid May, but I never really trust it until June 1 has past. Otherwise it can get just plain hot and muggy! I've been able to grow the usual hot weather stuff like tomatoes and long season stuff like cucumbers and squash, but somehow I never quite make it with peppers. I don't know why. I do more container stuff now with herbs and the like, as I have fibromyalgia and a big garden is just too much for me.
The zone system will tell you approximately when your first and last frost will be and at that, if it gets down to 32 some things might still be ok, where as 25 might kill everything. Also, if its in the 70s into October, thats fine, but the amount of daylight is dwindling and that plays a role in when plants just die back. Hope you have good luck growing this next year!

Jana
Go to Top of Page
  Garden Gate: Previous Topic Zone 3 anyone? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page