Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Stitching & Crafting Room
 Fat Quarter Swap update
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic Fat Quarter Swap update Next Topic
Page: of 2

candismom
True Blue Farmgirl

560 Posts

Elizabeth

560 Posts

Posted - Jan 25 2007 :  10:47:54 AM  Show Profile
Hello Ladies,
It is time to get those fat quarters in the mail. I haven't heard from 3 of you. Please let me know if you have mailed them yet. Just a friendly reminder anything that comes in the mail next Thursday will be sent back because I am swapping out that day in the AM.
I look forward to hearing from you.
Hugs,
Elizabeth

sunshine
True Blue Farmgirl

4877 Posts

Wendy
Utah
USA
4877 Posts

Posted - Jan 25 2007 :  11:35:56 AM  Show Profile  Send sunshine a Yahoo! Message
did you get mine I never heard or if I did I don't remember lack of sleep lately do to baby bugs ear ache things are slipping my mind.

have a lovely day and may God bless you and keep you safe my blog http://sunshinescreations.blogspot.com
my web stores www.sunshines.etsy.com and http://vintagethreads.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Nicie
True Blue Farmgirl

185 Posts

Denise
Lincoln NE
USA
185 Posts

Posted - Jan 25 2007 :  1:09:42 PM  Show Profile
Mine are in the mail as of today. Just got back from the post office.

Denise
Go to Top of Page

candismom
True Blue Farmgirl

560 Posts

Elizabeth

560 Posts

Posted - Jan 25 2007 :  3:28:48 PM  Show Profile
Yes Sunshine I got yours. And Gloria I got yours today. Thanks Denise.
Hugs,
Elizabeth
Go to Top of Page

summerbreeze
True Blue Farmgirl

277 Posts

Laura
WA
USA
277 Posts

Posted - Jan 25 2007 :  6:58:26 PM  Show Profile
Hi Elizabeth,

I mailed mine ages ago. Did you get it?

Laura

You only live once,if you do it right once is enough.
Go to Top of Page

bramble
True Blue Farmgirl

2044 Posts

2044 Posts

Posted - Jan 26 2007 :  07:50:58 AM  Show Profile
On my way to overnight them today! Sorry , I am probably your last one! Thanks!

with a happy heart
Go to Top of Page

candismom
True Blue Farmgirl

560 Posts

Elizabeth

560 Posts

Posted - Jan 26 2007 :  10:09:59 AM  Show Profile
Yes Laura,
Thanks,
Elizabeth
Go to Top of Page

FarmGirl~K
True Blue Farmgirl

512 Posts

Kelly
TX
USA
512 Posts

Posted - Jan 26 2007 :  1:02:13 PM  Show Profile
May seem like a silly , but I was wondering... what is the difference in fat quarters & other quilt squares. I have seem them pre-bundled. Just curious, as I am just starting to learn a lot of new things from you all!

"Work as if you were to live a hundred years, pray as if you were to die tomorrow." ~Benjamin Franklin~
Go to Top of Page

sunshine
True Blue Farmgirl

4877 Posts

Wendy
Utah
USA
4877 Posts

Posted - Jan 26 2007 :  1:07:19 PM  Show Profile  Send sunshine a Yahoo! Message
A fat quart is 18 inches by 22 inches
charm squares ( if that is what you are talking about) are 4 inch square, 6 inch square or 12 inch square
there is also what is called quilters candy which I think is 9 x 11 if I remember correctly

have a lovely day and may God bless you and keep you safe my blog http://sunshinescreations.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

ponyexpress
True Blue Farmgirl

320 Posts

Sandy
Kirkwood Missouri
USA
320 Posts

Posted - Jan 26 2007 :  1:13:30 PM  Show Profile
No question is silly if it provides the information you need! Fat quarters are a yard of fabric cut into four equal rectangles, each being roughly 22" x 18". The bundles of fabric that you see are likely fat quarters, but it is always good to ask. One quilt shop I visit does NOT cut fat quarters, but rather quarter-yard pieces which are 9" x 44". Same amount of fabric, but very different sizes.

I'm not sure about the "quilt squares" you mentioned. They may be remnants cut into equal sized squares. When in doubt, and if the size is not written on the label, ask!

I'm heading south for the winter. Some parts of my body already have a head start!
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Jan 26 2007 :  3:08:23 PM  Show Profile
I have seen the 9"X11" peices called fat eighths and chunks too...

Jenny in Utah
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

FarmGirl~K
True Blue Farmgirl

512 Posts

Kelly
TX
USA
512 Posts

Posted - Jan 26 2007 :  5:40:04 PM  Show Profile
Thanks for the info ladies. Ok so this leads to more ?'s. Are fat quarters used for something in particular as they are? Or are they also cut to make a particular quilt pattern? Is there a certain benefit to using those over other fabric? Thanks again. I'll get it someday! Especially with help from all of you.

"Work as if you were to live a hundred years, pray as if you were to die tomorrow." ~Benjamin Franklin~
Go to Top of Page

sunshine
True Blue Farmgirl

4877 Posts

Wendy
Utah
USA
4877 Posts

Posted - Jan 26 2007 :  6:00:03 PM  Show Profile  Send sunshine a Yahoo! Message
It is just a small amount of fabric that you can do anything with. There are quilt patterns that do call for fat quarters. I can't think of any specific ones of hand but scrapes do the same thing. It is a way of putting a lot of color in your fabric stash without adding a lot of yardage. Most people do with them what ever they want.

Go to Top of Page

bramble
True Blue Farmgirl

2044 Posts

2044 Posts

Posted - Jan 26 2007 :  8:42:00 PM  Show Profile
A fat quarter also gives you more flexibility than 1/4 yard of fabric because it is a big rectangle and not a long narrow strip like a normal 1/4 yard would be. Just helps you have more options ( and more fabric...yay!)

with a happy heart
Go to Top of Page

FarmGirl~K
True Blue Farmgirl

512 Posts

Kelly
TX
USA
512 Posts

Posted - Jan 26 2007 :  9:22:12 PM  Show Profile
Thanks sunshine & bramble. I guess I do have a lot more to learn than I thought I did about fabrics. I wanted to just jump right in. My family was not a crafty one & I never learned any of those types of things. I did take home-ec in school & did sew a few things....but that was a long ways back. It is so true if you don't use it you lose it! I appreciate you taking the time to explain to me!

Go to Top of Page

daffodil dreamer
True Blue Farmgirl

805 Posts

Jayne
Hamilton Victoria
Australia
805 Posts

Posted - Jan 28 2007 :  6:42:21 PM  Show Profile
Hi Elizabeth,
My last fat quarters only arrived in the mail today - sorry!! If I send them tomorrow, then they will get there in ten days (about 8th February). Is that too late? I don't want to hold everyone up, so let me know if you would rather I drop out of the swap. I can give them to farmgirls via the RAOK list instead, if it will hold this swap up too long. Let me know.
Thanks, Elizabeth,
Best wishes,
Jayne
Go to Top of Page

candismom
True Blue Farmgirl

560 Posts

Elizabeth

560 Posts

Posted - Jan 28 2007 :  7:34:53 PM  Show Profile
hI Jayne,
I am so sorry. I think it would be best to send them to the ladies through the Roak list. I really want to get this swap out in the mail. I work on limited energy due to illness so I have to stay on schedule.I have other commitments so I can't put this swap off a couple weeks.
Hugs,
Elizabeth
Go to Top of Page

daffodil dreamer
True Blue Farmgirl

805 Posts

Jayne
Hamilton Victoria
Australia
805 Posts

Posted - Jan 29 2007 :  1:55:00 PM  Show Profile
Hi Elizabeth,
No, that is absolutely fine - I am sorry that it took me so long to get organised. I wanted to check with you as I knew you were running to a fine schedule and I really didn't want to put you out. Thanks for all the organising you have been doing with so many swaps.
Best wishes,
Jayne
Go to Top of Page

bramble
True Blue Farmgirl

2044 Posts

2044 Posts

Posted - Jan 29 2007 :  3:45:52 PM  Show Profile
Jayne- I have a package long overdue to you so fear not. I will swap with you then if that's ok?

with a happy heart
Go to Top of Page

candismom
True Blue Farmgirl

560 Posts

Elizabeth

560 Posts

Posted - Jan 29 2007 :  6:40:33 PM  Show Profile
Bramble I got your package today but there was no return postage in there. Please send me an enveolpe with your postage on it.
Hugs,
Elizabeth
Go to Top of Page

bramble
True Blue Farmgirl

2044 Posts

2044 Posts

Posted - Jan 29 2007 :  6:55:43 PM  Show Profile
Elizabeth- Glad they got there in time! I sent you an email regarding the postage and particulars, just let me know and it will go out tomorrow. Thanks again for coordinating!

with a happy heart
Go to Top of Page

Nicie
True Blue Farmgirl

185 Posts

Denise
Lincoln NE
USA
185 Posts

Posted - Jan 29 2007 :  7:35:40 PM  Show Profile
Just checking to see if mine got there.

Denise
Go to Top of Page

candismom
True Blue Farmgirl

560 Posts

Elizabeth

560 Posts

Posted - Jan 30 2007 :  07:30:31 AM  Show Profile
They are all here and I am going to swap out today. Thanks to everyone. However please shoot me if I ever post another swap. LOL After the the time swap I am done hosting swaps here.Hosting swaps is the hardest job I have ever done. I think evevryone should do it just one time.
Hugs,
Elizabeth
Go to Top of Page

ponyexpress
True Blue Farmgirl

320 Posts

Sandy
Kirkwood Missouri
USA
320 Posts

Posted - Feb 02 2007 :  1:02:49 PM  Show Profile
Well, this was a blue ribbon day! I received three valentines from the exchange AND my packet of fat quarters! Thank you, Elizabeth, for coordinating this swap - I'm sure it was a lot of work. The fabrics are very tempting....do I cook, or do I sew??

I'm heading south for the winter. Some parts of my body already have a head start!
Go to Top of Page

suzyhomemaker
True Blue Farmgirl

806 Posts

Clare
Tyler Hill PA
USA
806 Posts

Posted - Feb 02 2007 :  1:37:27 PM  Show Profile
Ooo..swap is out..hope mine comes in tomorrow's mail Elizabeth, just got my tea theme fabric and will get it all together to mail out this weekend.

Country girl in NE PA
Go to Top of Page

sunshine
True Blue Farmgirl

4877 Posts

Wendy
Utah
USA
4877 Posts

Posted - Feb 02 2007 :  1:39:05 PM  Show Profile  Send sunshine a Yahoo! Message
I hope mine come soon I am planning an adding these tot he charms and to the signature blocks when those two swaps are all done and make a farm girl quilt.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic Fat Quarter Swap update Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page