Tracey
True Blue Farmgirl

766 Posts

Tracey
State of Confusion
USA
766 Posts

Posted - Jan 24 2007 :  8:52:01 PM  Show Profile
I know people often think of Lavender for headaches, but we've never found it worked that well around here. Then a friend of mine, a dr in PA, told me that peppermint had been medically proven to help headache pain. So when I had my last migraine I just put a tiny drop on my temples. Probably wouldn't do that again as it feels pretty chilly right away, lol, but it did help with the pain. I think I'd put a bit of essential oil on some little towel or pillow and keep it at hand for a quick sniff or two.

Just thought I'd share, as I've never head anyone else say they use it

Visit Quiet Storm, our adopted Mustang! http://wildaboutquietstorm.com

http://carpentercreek.blogspot.com

sunshine
True Blue Farmgirl

4877 Posts

Wendy
Utah
USA
4877 Posts

Posted - Jan 24 2007 :  8:54:33 PM  Show Profile  Send sunshine a Yahoo! Message
I take peppermint for tummy aches

have a lovely day and may God bless you and keep you safe my blog http://sunshinescreations.blogspot.com
my web stores www.sunshines.etsy.com and http://vintagethreads.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

FarmGirl~K
True Blue Farmgirl

512 Posts

Kelly
TX
USA
512 Posts

Posted - Jan 24 2007 :  9:24:20 PM  Show Profile
Good to know Tracey. Thanks for the tip. Sunshine my dad always ate peppermint lifesavers for his tummy. Always said it helped him too.

"Work as if you were to live a hundred years, pray as if you were to die tomorrow." ~Benjamin Franklin~
Go to Top of Page

herbquilter
True Blue Farmgirl

891 Posts

Kristine
Bonney Lake Wa
USA
891 Posts

Posted - Jan 24 2007 :  9:55:23 PM  Show Profile
I carry a small bottle of peppermint essential oil in my purse. We use it for bad breath, stomach aches, headaches, fatigue, & stress. We only wipe the side of the bottle where the cap comes off, then rub it on our front teeth. Soooooooo concentrate.
It is anti-spasmatic & works well for all of these.

Blessings,
Kristine
Bonney Lake, WA
Go to Top of Page

bramble
True Blue Farmgirl

2044 Posts

2044 Posts

Posted - Jan 25 2007 :  07:15:11 AM  Show Profile
We have always used peppermint for upset stomachs too but never headaches. Will have to give it a try as we certainly get more than our share here!

with a happy heart
Go to Top of Page

MustangSuzie
True Blue Farmgirl

634 Posts

Sarah
New London Missouri
USA
634 Posts

Posted - Jan 25 2007 :  4:13:30 PM  Show Profile  Send MustangSuzie a Yahoo! Message
You all are talking about the peppermint essential oil and not just regular peppermint oil (like you cook with)?? I woke up with a monster headache today and am all out of motrin. Since I work night shift and have such an irregular sleeping pattern I have frequent headaches. After relying of 800-1600 mg's of motrin to knock these I am looking for alternatives. I bought something called Head-On tonight that you rub on your forehead and it seems to be working enough that I can still function. I will have to get some peppermint and try that too.

Sarah
Go to Top of Page

herbquilter
True Blue Farmgirl

891 Posts

Kristine
Bonney Lake Wa
USA
891 Posts

Posted - Jan 25 2007 :  4:53:01 PM  Show Profile
I was talking about peppermint essential oil that is VERY concentrate. A good strong cup of peppermint tea also works, but it won't fit into my purse.

If you would like some other remedies for headaches let me know.

Blessings,
Kristine ~ Mother of Many & Herbalist
www.herbalmomma.com
Go to Top of Page

MustangSuzie
True Blue Farmgirl

634 Posts

Sarah
New London Missouri
USA
634 Posts

Posted - Jan 25 2007 :  5:09:25 PM  Show Profile  Send MustangSuzie a Yahoo! Message
I was drinking a cup of peppermint tea as I was writing my last post. :) Yes, I would like to read about more headache remedies. I'll have to dealwith them until I can find my job rememdy. lol

Sarah
Go to Top of Page

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Jan 25 2007 :  6:50:40 PM  Show Profile
I have a cream that has peppermint and eucalyptus in it. It is AWESOME for headaches. I bought it a bath and body a few years ago. I don;t know if they make it anymore. Maybe one of you ladies that make creams and stuff could whip up a batch. I'll have to look and see what other things are in it.

Jewelry, art, baskets, etc.

www.willowtreecreek.com
Go to Top of Page

kitchensqueen
True Blue Farmgirl

521 Posts

521 Posts

Posted - Jan 31 2007 :  4:47:36 PM  Show Profile
When I get migraines, I take peppermint tea with a touch of honey and freshly grated ginger and lay down with an ice pack on my forehead. Usually works within a half hour, when extra-strength aspirin doesn't do a thing.

http://apartmentfarm.wordpress.com
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
True Blue Farmgirl

9382 Posts

Denise
Beavercreek Ohio
USA
9382 Posts

Posted - Jan 31 2007 :  4:50:47 PM  Show Profile
Wintergreen is excellent for migraines. I like peppermint tea and that usually wards them off when they are first starting.
Go to Top of Page

Persephone
True Blue Farmgirl

172 Posts

Katrina
Indiana
USA
172 Posts

Posted - Jan 31 2007 :  6:44:03 PM  Show Profile
I drink peppermint tea for upset tummy, and when I was pregnant, I sniffed the essential oil for nausea. I'm glad to hear it works for headaches! That was something of a dilemma for us here.
Go to Top of Page

Aunt George
True Blue Farmgirl

1476 Posts

Georgann
Midlothian VA
1476 Posts

Posted - Feb 07 2007 :  8:14:35 PM  Show Profile
Hmmm...interesting. I had a horrible headache the other day and my daughter whipped up a cup of herbal tea. It had Hibiscus, Peppermint and orange peel. It was marvelous tasting and my headache eased with fifteen minutes of finishing the cup of tea!
Delicious too.
G

http://auntgeorgeshouse.blogspot.com/index.html
Thanks for checking out my apron and sewing musings!
Go to Top of Page

babs
True Blue Farmgirl

226 Posts

Babette
MN
USA
226 Posts

Posted - Feb 22 2007 :  12:20:50 PM  Show Profile
How about peppermint EO in a handy roll on bottle?

I have a case of them just sitting here. ;) lol

Babs

Hatching Eggs: www.countryegg.com
My Etsy Store: www.mugwortmaggies.com
Junque Trader: http://myjunqueyourjunque.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

babs
True Blue Farmgirl

226 Posts

Babette
MN
USA
226 Posts

Posted - Feb 22 2007 :  1:29:18 PM  Show Profile
Okay so on a lark I made one up. Does anyone need/want this strong enough to clear your sinuses? I really didn't need to use very much peppermint EO and it's that strong. I didn't realize how stuffy my nose was until I rubbed it on and took a wiff. lol

Babs

Go to Top of Page

Hideaway Farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1553 Posts

Jo
Virginia
USA
1553 Posts

Posted - Feb 23 2007 :  06:16:25 AM  Show Profile
Babs,

Sign me up for a bottle of your "lark" product. Actually, two bottles if they are reasonably priced. I have a friend who suffers from migraines, but I would like to have one on hand for myself. I was ready to reorder another bottle of your terrific yarrow juice from you anyway, so I think I just signed up for two bottles of Peppermint EO and one bottle of yarrow juice.

Shall we continue this offline? I will send you an email and we can work out the cost, etc.

Jo

"There are no strangers here, only friends you've yet to meet."
Go to Top of Page

babs
True Blue Farmgirl

226 Posts

Babette
MN
USA
226 Posts

Posted - Feb 23 2007 :  7:31:09 PM  Show Profile
Sounds good Jo! - Honey is designing labels for the roll on as I type. :)
Thank so much for the order, I really appreciate it. :)

Babs

Go to Top of Page

mommom
True Blue Farmgirl

854 Posts

Susan
Lancaster Pennsylvania
USA
854 Posts

Posted - Feb 24 2007 :  05:40:31 AM  Show Profile
Babs-I will gladly buy a bottle of what you have for headaches. Just let me know! My migraines can last up to two days sometimes. Hugs, Susan
Go to Top of Page

babs
True Blue Farmgirl

226 Posts

Babette
MN
USA
226 Posts

Posted - Feb 24 2007 :  3:08:23 PM  Show Profile
I found an awesome testimonial for a similar product at amazon, which I thought was interesting. http://about.pricegrabber.com/search_getprod.php/masterid=31427543/search=migrastick

Theirs is blended with lavender. I don't get headaches/migraines very often, but I did use a little lavender eo with the last one just to help me relax a little and that was very helpful. I wish I had thought of peppermint for the nausea, but really all I was thinking of at that point was laying down to keep the world from spinning. If anyone would want to try a lavender or eucalyptus blend I can do that too. :)

I'm going to whip up a peppermint/lavender blend for myself for the medicine cabinet.

Babs

Go to Top of Page

Hideaway Farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1553 Posts

Jo
Virginia
USA
1553 Posts

Posted - Mar 01 2007 :  05:46:22 AM  Show Profile
Babs, the package went out to you yesterday for my order...looking forward to trying your new product as well as the yarrow juice again. How nice for you to have DH involved with the label-making...a real family operation!

Jo

Go to Top of Page

babs
True Blue Farmgirl

226 Posts

Babette
MN
USA
226 Posts

Posted - Mar 01 2007 :  09:45:20 AM  Show Profile
Susan, I won't be able to get a shipping amount for you until I can get out my driveway!
We are supposed to get up to 22 inches (again) by friday night. There have been times today I couldn't see past the barn. Just letting you know I haven't forgotten, hang in there! :)

Jo, Hubby has done all my labeling and package design. It is nice to have him involved, actually it's wonderful to feel so supported. I know I would not have come this far with out his help in that regard.

Babs :)

Go to Top of Page

Hideaway Farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1553 Posts

Jo
Virginia
USA
1553 Posts

Posted - Mar 29 2007 :  4:10:33 PM  Show Profile
Hey, Babs? Are you digging out from all that snow yet?

Not bragging, but we hit 65 degrees in Virginia today; a little cooler than we have had the last cojple of weeks. (OK, I am bragging, just love all this sunshine and not having to wear a darn coat all the time!)

Jo

Go to Top of Page

babs
True Blue Farmgirl

226 Posts

Babette
MN
USA
226 Posts

Posted - Mar 29 2007 :  4:40:29 PM  Show Profile
Hey Jo! :)

We had one nice day and it has either been rainy, windy, or foggy every day since. But the snow is gone thankfully - although we've seen it here as late as Easter so I probably shouldn't talk too loudly. ;)

I've got your box here with the peppermint bottles in it. It's been waiting for someone to leave me pan clean long enough I can sanitize a tincture bottle for you. That stuff sure comes in handy. I slit my finger open on an exacto blade, I washed it in tincture took a good swig and voila no infection and it's healing nicely.

I'm finally beginning to get caught up on orders for soap so I should have time this week to finish up this package for you. :)

Babs

& Home Goods: www.mugwortmaggies.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Mar 29 2007 :  5:57:51 PM  Show Profile
funny peppermint (or ANY mint story!) my gurlfren SugarBucket absolutely cannot abide the smell of MINT .. (i LOVE it!) .. we were travelling to Illinois monday/tuesday on an antiquing jaunt .. and popped a peppermint candy in my mouth .. all of a sudden she started wretching and the window rolled down .. i thought she was just 'hot' .. when i remembered her MINT aversion!

lordy .. i spit that minty thang out the window .. scrapped my tongue and held my head outta' the window!

xo

True Friends, Frannie

CABIN CREEK FARM
KENTUCKY

Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Mar 29 2007 :  5:59:15 PM  Show Profile
p.s. LAVENDAR and all 'flowery smells' will give me a big-time headache .. go figger! xo

True Friends, Frannie

CABIN CREEK FARM
KENTUCKY

Go to Top of Page
  Herbal Wisdom: Previous Topic Peppermint for headaches Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page