Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Across the Fence
 To piggy back the simplifying thread...
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Across the Fence: Previous Topic To piggy back the simplifying thread... Next Topic  

catscharm74
True Blue Farmgirl

4687 Posts

Heather
Texas
USA
4687 Posts

Posted - Jan 24 2007 :  11:19:14 AM  Show Profile  Send catscharm74 a Yahoo! Message
A few months ago, we had to make a move. It was unexpected and quick. I wasn't so worried about it except we had to DOWNSIZE majorly. There was no possible way to bring everything we owned with us. Storage at an off site seem ridiculous to me so I had to simplify as much as I could. I had not time to have a yard sale (we lived in an apartment anyway, so we couldn't have one). I sold what books I could on the internet, but 90% of what I decluttered was donated. We probably gave away about half a house full of stuff.I fretted over the cost of the stuff but you know what? I was saddened and overwhelmed at first, but now I am glad I did it. I believe in what goes around comes around. I have been a SAHM for 10 months now and was thinking of going back to work soon. Well, as soon as we moved, with less stuff to worry about, we found an AWESOME academic school/daycare for our son and I have 5 job ideas on the horizon. I will be able to do this because my house is simple to take care of and I don't have to worry about the small stuff- cleaning, organizing, cookings, laundry. It is so much simpler to do. I just wanted to pass on a little good karma to all y'all who might think it is impossible.

If you are wondering, my house is what I would describe as simple farm meets the beach.(I was inspired by the place we stayed in in Corpus Chrisit, Texas on vacation) Not much decore, simple colors, not too many chotsky's but I love what I have.

blueroses
True Blue Farmgirl

1323 Posts

Debbie
in the Pandhandle of Idaho
USA
1323 Posts

Posted - Jan 24 2007 :  1:41:20 PM  Show Profile
Wow - you know, I really need to clean out majorly. I hoard things because I'm so afraid of doing without (I had issues in my 1st marriage). I am good about cleaning out closets but I just have so many "things". I think you've had an influence on me!! Perhaps I will begin this weekend. A little at a time, of course. As long as I don't have to part with any fabric or craft things.

Debbie

"You cannot find peace...by avoiding life."
Virginia Woolfe
Go to Top of Page

Past Blessings
True Blue Farmgirl

1083 Posts

Brenda
Orchard Prairie WA
USA
1083 Posts

Posted - Jan 24 2007 :  2:16:37 PM  Show Profile
There really is something freeing about having less stuff. I have majorly thinned out what we have, but I know there are so many more layers I can uncover! Just today I realized I am holding on to way more blankets than we need. If the power was out for days on end we have quilts, the blankets on our bed and 5 sleeping bags, so why all these spare blankets. They are going to goodwill! I used to be kind of an "over the top" decorator, but my tastes are getting much simpler and more parred down. Much of this is because I hate the complications that come with all the extra stuff. I am drawn to the simple primitive colonial homes, that have rather sparse decor but still exude such warmth. That is my goal. Thanks for the inspiration.

Brenda

Past Blessings . . . Celebrating Life as it used to be . . . when people loved God, loved their families and loved their country.
Go to Top of Page

owwlady
True Blue Farmgirl

899 Posts

Jan
Tomahawk WI
USA
899 Posts

Posted - Jan 24 2007 :  4:31:57 PM  Show Profile
I just went through the same thing. It was amazing how much stuff I had that I was able to get rid of...things that I have no idea why I hung on to them in the first place...broken stuff, unnecessary duplicates, etc. It feels so good now to put the things I really want into my new home. Let's hope I've learned my lesson.
Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic To piggy back the simplifying thread... Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page