Tracey
True Blue Farmgirl

766 Posts

Tracey
State of Confusion
USA
766 Posts

Posted - Jan 23 2007 :  7:26:36 PM  Show Profile
Struggling through the perimenopausal years here (aka brain-O-pause) and wonder if anyone can help with some natural progesterone suggestions? I've got unnopposed estrogen right now (great, cancer risk is higher) and tried the cream to keep the bleeding under control. However it didn't help (after a week, still bleeding) so picked up a perscription. The happy pills worked, but now reading that synthetic also increases cancer, plus I'm having some tenderness and lump issues in one breast (which can be a side effect.)

So I'm left wondering what other options may be out there? I just fired my GYN and need to find another one...but while trying to figure out what my final answer is going to be (hysterectomy? Probably), I'd like to be able to keep blood loss under control.

Any thoughts or suggestions gladly accepted!

Visit Quiet Storm, our adopted Mustang! http://wildaboutquietstorm.com

http://carpentercreek.blogspot.com

Aunt George
True Blue Farmgirl

1476 Posts

Georgann
Midlothian VA
1476 Posts

Posted - Jan 24 2007 :  03:38:23 AM  Show Profile
Oh, Tracey, been there. I had a horrible perimenopausal time. Severe bleeding, frequent cycles....like a continuous menstrual cycle. It was one of the worst times of my life. I really don't know how my family tolerated those 4 years. I finally fired my "baby" doctor and searched in my area for a gyn. MD who specialized in older women's issues. I was not interested in having another baby. So I did finally find a great MD. I ended up having a D&C. He discovered that I had bleeding uterine polyps which are fairly common in perimenopausal women. I had already tried BC pills, progesterone, natural progesterone, topical progesterone cream (found out that if you are overweight...the progesterone cream is not very effective.) After the D&C I had two more massive bleeding sessions, then my MD started me on a natural progesterone capsule that I was to insert as close to the cervix as possible. This stopped the bleeding almost immediately and after that I have only had two menstrual cycles. I have not had a cycle for over a year now....so I think that I am finally through to the other side. (Scary in itself.) Went through this long diatribe so that hopefully something here will help you. I know there are Farmgirls here how have lots of herbal experience...I don't. I did read that Soy is high in estrogen like substances, so try to avoid soy during your estrogen storm. Get that lump checked. Find a doctor who specializes in older women's issues. Usually there is one in large gyne practices. Good Luck. Don't know if this was any help to you, but perimenopause is not for the faint of heart. I feel your pain!

http://auntgeorgeshouse.blogspot.com/index.html
Thanks for checking out my apron and sewing musings!
Go to Top of Page

Clare
True Blue Farmgirl

2173 Posts

NC WA State
USA
2173 Posts

Posted - Jan 24 2007 :  06:28:01 AM  Show Profile
Before you do anything drastic, my one HUGE suggestion is to please read this book by Dr. Christiane Northrup, The Wisdom of Menopause. It's available everywhere and it is chock full of information on bio-identical hormone replacement (not synthetic) as well as how to balance out other areas of your life that affect your hormones. Be informed.

Humor is the prelude to faith and Laughter is the beginning of prayer. -- Reinhold Niebuhr

http://farmstyle.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page

Phils Ann
True Blue Farmgirl

1095 Posts

Ann
Parsonsburg Maryland
USA
1095 Posts

Posted - Jan 24 2007 :  2:03:24 PM  Show Profile
My doctor also recommends "The Wisdom of Menopause", and I know I should read it! With that admission, I'm on bio-identical hormones, including prometrium (oral) and get my blood tested at least every 6 months. I had a hysterectomy, but before that,had fibroids with lots of bleeding (i.e. lacked progesterone) and other issues since puberty all pointing to a lack of progesterone. Progesterone is really good stuff! Helps you sleep, too And, the creams really don't absorb well, even as prescription strength.
Ann

There is a Redeemer.
Go to Top of Page

Tracey
True Blue Farmgirl

766 Posts

Tracey
State of Confusion
USA
766 Posts

Posted - Jan 24 2007 :  8:49:19 PM  Show Profile
Thank you, ladies. The more I think about it, the more I think the first time I got the progesterone pills they were different than this time. I was feeling breast tenderness so looked up side effects; sure enough, that was one of them, so I stopped. Soon as I did, I began spotting again. Popped a little 'happy pill' and immediately felt sick; that hasn't happened before.

I got into a new GYN, but not until mid March. Such a long time to wait, but at least she's also a surgeon so hopefully that will speed the process along. In the meantime, I'll be searching for that book!

Visit Quiet Storm, our adopted Mustang! http://wildaboutquietstorm.com

http://carpentercreek.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page

Phils Ann
True Blue Farmgirl

1095 Posts

Ann
Parsonsburg Maryland
USA
1095 Posts

Posted - Jan 25 2007 :  06:57:58 AM  Show Profile
Tracey, look also at Uzzi Reiss, M.D.'s book, "Natural Hormone Balance for Women", which is still considered a classic, and has a whole lot of information. Also, I felt after posting yesterday, that I should let you know that for a woman who is still making her own hormones, as you are, it can be anything but straightforward; you may do well with 100 mg. progesterone one week, and find it to be too much the next. Having said that, I have a friend who takes prometrium three days a week due to fibroids (perimenopause) and loves that progesterone. Her doctor's program is something new to me, but it really works for her.
Best Wishes!
Ann

There is a Redeemer.
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
True Blue Farmgirl

9382 Posts

Denise
Beavercreek Ohio
USA
9382 Posts

Posted - Feb 08 2007 :  08:28:12 AM  Show Profile
An excellent book that I have read concerning this issue is "What Your Doctor May Not Tell You About Menopause" Very good. I have been using the Wild Yam cream by Wise Essentials for about 4 years now and it helps. I also take the Greens Today Women's Formula organic vitamins. They include hormone balancing herbs. I have found they both work really well together. No hot flashes anymore. I have not found there to be any side effects from either.
Go to Top of Page

shelle
True Blue Farmgirl

404 Posts

Shelle
oklahoma
USA
404 Posts

Posted - Feb 09 2007 :  07:16:19 AM  Show Profile
I also have had the bleeding issues if fact very nearly bled to death at one point. I dont know how my family put up with the emotional rollercoaster I was on for 3 or 4 years. I was opposed to having a hysterectomy and tried to tough it out. Finally the doctor talked me into having it done and I am sure glad I did. I felt better almost overnight. I am on Climara Patch which I dont have any problems with at all.

I know you dont want the synthetic estrogen like i use but have you checked into a compounding pharmacy? It was suggested to me before my hysterectomy but I never got around to checking into it. They custom make your hormone cream according to your needs. It might be worth checking into.

Shelle
Go to Top of Page

BarefootGoatGirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1495 Posts

Corrine
North Carolina
USA
1495 Posts

Posted - Feb 09 2007 :  12:46:02 PM  Show Profile  Send BarefootGoatGirl a Yahoo! Message
My brain is feeling a bit fuzzy just now...but look into Wild Yam Serium (sp? on that last word).

'
Be thou diligent to know the state of thy flocks, and look well to thy herds. Proverbs 27:23
Go to Top of Page

bramble
True Blue Farmgirl

2044 Posts

2044 Posts

Posted - Feb 09 2007 :  3:39:43 PM  Show Profile
I am in this boat with all of you though my circumstances may differ a little. I've had endometriosis, fibroids, etc for years which led to me not being able to get pregnant (or so they thought...) after a bad fall something must have become un-adhered because I did carry Z but delivered a month early. I never felt normal again after 14 months of nursing and no further pregnancies. I developed severe bleeding (75 days non stop) and I was given 2 choices: hysterectomy or D&C. I always err on the side of caution so you know I still have my ovary (ectopic pregnancy took the other)! I was also told about a procedure called "hydro ablation" where you literally cauterize your uterus with a ballon filled with hot water (yikes!) that prevents you from further bleeding but leaves everything else intact. Actually they said you just feel like you have cramps after the procedure, not too bad. Has anyone had this? I still experience pain and heavy cycles but not what it was. My family has a history of "reproductive cancer- breast, uterine, ovarian) so hormone replacement is not a great prospect for me should I need the extreme route . I did take soy OUT of my diet when the radiologist came out into the waiting room after my mammogram (every 6 months) and said "Either you have started drinking caffeine again (I hadn't) or you are eating soy now (I was). How did she know? I was more lumpy "cystic" than the previous 5 mammograms and resembled one when I drank massive amounts of caffeine. There is an old thread here if you can find it "Soy...do we like it?" that has some links to information regarding soy I previously didn't know. This is a tough one girls, we are damned if we do and damned if we don't. I love Dr. Northrop and think she has the most sane approach to dealing with this "era" of our selves. I just keep referring to it as " my own personal season" (and it is subject to change without warning, my husband adds "lovingly"! He has know me since 12 so he knew what he was getting into!

with a happy heart
Go to Top of Page

Phils Ann
True Blue Farmgirl

1095 Posts

Ann
Parsonsburg Maryland
USA
1095 Posts

Posted - Feb 09 2007 :  6:06:37 PM  Show Profile
I thought I'd had every procedure possible, but I did miss "hydro ablation". Since hormones are out for you, you might do some weight (strength) training for your bones, and if you're still fine with the density, jumping (up and down, honest) or jumping rope is considered fabulous for density. I hope you get to keep that ovary! Don't fibroids make your mood swings "deep and wide"?! Not fun.
Ann

There is a Redeemer.
Go to Top of Page

bboopster
True Blue Farmgirl

1140 Posts

Betty Jo
West Bend Wisconsin
USA
1140 Posts

Posted - Feb 19 2007 :  5:22:19 PM  Show Profile  Click to see bboopster's MSN Messenger address
I had an "ablation" about 12 yaers ago. They didn't do it with water but basicly the same thing. The before treatment was worse then the procedure. They had to insert a seaweed type plug into my uterus to cause dialtion. Gave me cramps just like child birth and I need to have the plug in for a week before hand. Not fun. Also caused some of the worst hot flashes that I have ever had. It did take me a few days to really be back to myself after having it done, but I was a single mother of 5 at that time too. It helped and did lessened the monthly bleeding. Being postmenopausal now I don't miss the montly thing but I wish I could get rid of the hot flashes! My mother did the HRT for 12 years only to quite and have the hot flashs return and then have to live through them for 5 years. I figured I would skip the HRT that my doctor keeps pushing and just live with them. I'm not sure if that is possiable either. Clothes on Clothes off. Fan on Fan off. I also know why dogs put their heads out of car windows. Try it next time your in the middle of a hot flash works wonders.

3 Blue Star Mother and Proud of it!
Pray for our troops to come home safe and soon.
Enjoying the road to the simple life :>)
Go to Top of Page

Kim
True Blue Farmgirl

146 Posts

Kim
Pflugerville Texas
USA
146 Posts

Posted - Feb 19 2007 :  5:24:07 PM  Show Profile
Ugh, progesterone made me feel all creepy crawly!

Blessed Be!

farmgirl@heart

Be at peace with yourself and the rest will follow
http://chevy49girl.livejournal.com/

http://chevy49girl.deviantart.com/
Go to Top of Page

bboopster
True Blue Farmgirl

1140 Posts

Betty Jo
West Bend Wisconsin
USA
1140 Posts

Posted - Mar 10 2007 :  10:01:27 AM  Show Profile  Click to see bboopster's MSN Messenger address
Hello,
Since my last posting I have started to use a a cream called Progesta-care made by Life-Flo Heath products. I stoped by the health food store about 4 weeks ago in quite a frenzy as I was just a minute away from calling my Dr. to get something for my hot flashes and the lady there swore up and down that all I need was this cream. Yea right a cream is going to help me. When she told me is was on sale for the first time I thought yea because no one buys it. I have to say she was right it works great. I have internet searched the cream and the thoughts behind the cream started to make sense. I have teamed it up with a product called Hot Flash made buy Source Naturals and I am happy to report that I am almost flash free (still hanging my head out the window in the car at times. The cream is also toted to help women with PMS too. I recomend buying the products over the internet as they are much cheaper then in the stores. Hope this helps.

3 Blue Star Mother and Proud of it!
Pray for our troops to come home safe and soon.
Enjoying the road to the simple life :>)
Go to Top of Page
  Herbal Wisdom: Previous Topic Natural Progesterone? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page