Author Across the Fence: Previous Topic Vintage Luggage Next Topic  

Clare
True Blue Farmgirl

2173 Posts

NC WA State
USA
2173 Posts

Posted - Jun 03 2005 :  09:44:07 AM  Show Profile
I have been a collector of vintage luggage for several years now. I have my mother's graduation set circa 1945ish, which is embossed with her initials. I use them to store my hobby things, like yarn, or my recent cache of found buttons, embroidery thread and wooden spooled thread and linens. They also work well stacked beside a bed. I know MJ has them decorating her wall tents for her B & B. Here's an interesting article by Cheryl Anne Milsap regarding her collection. The luggage in the picture is very siimilar to my mother's and my favorite kind to "find". Do any of you collect vintage luggage?

http://www.spokesmanreview.com/home/treasures/story.asp?ID=72520

****Gardener, Stitcher, Spiritual Explorer and Appreciator of all Things Natural****

"Begin to weave and God will give the thread." - German Proverb

MeadowLark
True Blue Farmgirl

2206 Posts

USA
2206 Posts

Posted - Jun 03 2005 :  1:20:15 PM  Show Profile
My Mom had a similar set of luggage, kind of a pale mottled cream color with leather trim. She sold them in the early 70's. I still have a Samsonite "Mod" hard plastic suitcase that is hot pink I got as a gift in 1969. It has pretty much taken what airports over the decades could throw at it. ( Literally) Remember the commercials of the gorillas throwing the Samsonites around their cages. I think my suitcase was one of those models. My girls have stored everything from Barbies, shoes to seashell collections in it.

"Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing, there is a field. I'll meet you there." Rumi, 13th century.
Go to Top of Page

countrykat
True Blue Farmgirl

85 Posts

kathy
paola kansas
USA
85 Posts

Posted - Jun 03 2005 :  7:20:33 PM  Show Profile
I can't imagine fitting my yarn stash into a suitcase. My husband would probably appreciate it. At this point it takes 19 big plastic storage tubs to contain it. Then there are the three storage tubs of yarn I am currently selling on ebay. I don't think I could ever knit/crochet it all, even if I did nothing else.

I am content to live with it, part with some of it and plan projects for the rest. I am currently working on three summer shells. Each in different phases of completion.

Go to Top of Page

sleepless reader
True Blue Farmgirl

1022 Posts

CA
USA
1022 Posts

Posted - Jun 03 2005 :  8:12:28 PM  Show Profile
My mom had the 1950's Samsonite in navy blue with "white" trim. I have the mid-sized from her and I think the tiny overnight bag. I just last Saturday bought the same suitcase in the turquoise and "white". Not quite sure how I'll use them yet.At least now I can tell my husband that I'm not the only one with an old luggage fetish!
Sharon
Go to Top of Page

bramble
True Blue Farmgirl

2044 Posts

2044 Posts

Posted - Jun 04 2005 :  03:13:21 AM  Show Profile
My husband thought I was losing it too until the last time he went to the attic and it had mysteriously become contained in vintage luggage.
I've tied oaktag labels to the handles and organized them in stacks
according to content.
I have my Mom's dusty blue "train case" circa 1954 that I store old letters in. There are some very interesting stickers on that piece!
I still find pieces in the trash fairly often and have never paid more than $1.00 for one and that one was leather! Old things seem to be lost on the people in my community, lucky for me!
I am packing up for a "show" next weekend and using suitcases because they hold alot, are portable and can be used as part of the display.
If you find a piece that you love but it has that "I've been in the attic or basement too long" smell, sprinkle with baking soda and close up for a day or two. Vacuum an repeat if needed. If the smell is still not gone, put a bar of unwrapped Irish Spring in and check every so often, that should do the trick. (It worked for a piano my father bought from a bar that had closed and it smelled like smoke so badly we had to put it in a out building until my Mom figured that soap trick out.

with a happy heart
Go to Top of Page

Kim
True Blue Farmgirl

146 Posts

Kim
Pflugerville Texas
USA
146 Posts

Posted - Jun 10 2005 :  3:20:42 PM  Show Profile
Unbelievable isn't it?!

farmgirl@heart

Be at peace with yourself and the rest will follow
Go to Top of Page

MeadowLark
True Blue Farmgirl

2206 Posts

USA
2206 Posts

Posted - Jun 10 2005 :  4:17:45 PM  Show Profile
That is unbelievable...I looked my pink "Saturn" model Samsonite on ebay and you can get one for 20.00 bucks That is probably less than what was paid for it 35 years ago. Guess no one wants a hard gaudy pink plastic suitcase.

"Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing, there is a field. I'll meet you there." Rumi, 13th century. http://www.xs4all.nl/~josvg/cits/sb/sb101.html
Go to Top of Page

VWVixen
Farmgirl at Heart

5 Posts

Gena
Riverside CA
USA
5 Posts

Posted - Jun 23 2005 :  7:07:27 PM  Show Profile  Send VWVixen an AOL message  Click to see VWVixen's MSN Messenger address
Way kool!

I have been collecting for several years myself- started from going to vintage car shows and the bug to get any travel related goody to add to your display of your vintage car. I had a ton a few years back but had to sell off all but my favorite set. I was *just* thinking of selling it again (and my vintage picnic baskets) because we just moved last week and they are now in the garage in the 'keep or sale?' pile.

This thread has revamped my interest and I think I will keep them. :)

I too had used them in decor...had a couple stacked on their side at the end of my couch- had 2 cases and then 1 of my picnic baskets and then an old lamp- used them as 'end tables'. I got alot of good comments on them that way.

None of my current friends understands my connection with my luggage I still have- they are big and heavy 'why would you want to use them?!'

The last time I did- I got a lot of looks from people and some comments from those old enough to remember them. Fun stuff.

Anyone collect vintage picnic baskets? or other travel related things?

-Gena
Go to Top of Page

atwell
True Blue Farmgirl

88 Posts

susan
Laporte IN
USA
88 Posts

Posted - Jun 25 2005 :  7:54:49 PM  Show Profile  Send atwell a Yahoo! Message
hey Farmgirls!! Yes I have been collecting old luggage for some time too....I think I have a thing for containers...for sure old stuff. I was at an antique mall this week in shipshewana ,In, which is an amish community. They do have a lot of tourist oriented retail..I saw a set of 2 vintage leather suitcases the large size..$50 each !!
I too like to hit the resale shops, garage sales,flea markets and auctions looking for a deal....generally not an antique mall! Although we did snag my ultra fabulous engagement ring at a local antique mall for a pretty affordable price!!guess you just have to keep an eyeball out!!!!My mom found a featherweight Singer sewing machine at her neighbors garage sale for $25!! she nearly had a heart attack!! she still loves to tell that story to any quilter that hasnt heard it yet!Ms. Bramble...what kind of show are you attending that you will be taking suitcases? I think thats a great idea for schlepping and displaying...stuff looks great in them!!Has anyone been to the huge antique show in Roundtop, Texas? I ve been there when the show wasnt on and it was a tiny town. My parents have been and I guess its unbelievably enormous and Im guessing on the pricy side...!I'd love to chat all night but ive got to get back to this quilt! Happy collecting ladies...the magic price is always $1!!!!
Susan aka Tawanda

FatQuarterQuiltFarm
Long Arm Machine
Quilting ~and~
Fabric Flea Market
Go to Top of Page

Mumof3
True Blue Farmgirl

3890 Posts

Karin
Ellenwood GA
USA
3890 Posts

Posted - Jun 27 2005 :  12:48:33 PM  Show Profile
Ask my husband if we need another vintage suitcase and the answer will be "NO!" I use them for storing everything from extra paper goods to a year's supply of toothbrushes, toothpaste, shampoo and shaving cream. There is something about the look of an old suitcase. I seem to be a magnet for them at tag sales, etc.
In my house they sit beside sofas and chairs, on top of bookcases, you name it.
I do collect old picnic baskets as well for storing my yarn and knitting needles, files folders and all sorts of things I really don't know what to do with.
You would think these things would make my house look tidy! Hmmmm.
Go to Top of Page

Jairemarie
Farmgirl at Heart

3 Posts

Jairemarie
Iinverness CALIFORNIA
USA
3 Posts

Posted - Jul 07 2005 :  7:33:22 PM  Show Profile
Wow, I thought I was the only one who was into old luggage. I have a few pieces, including a train case. I'd love to bring them out of storage and use them (just like in MJ's book, next to the be in the wall tent) but a couple of them have a nasty, musty smell. Does anyone have any ideas on how to get rid of the odor? I've tried charcoal and baking soda without success. Any ideas would be most welcome.

Thanks,
Jairemarie

P.S. I want to keep the orginal lining intact.

Author of The Hog Island Oyster Lover's Handbook, Tenspeed Press, Spring 2006
Go to Top of Page

therusticcottage
True Blue Farmgirl

4439 Posts

Kay
Vancouver WA
USA
4439 Posts

Posted - Jul 07 2005 :  10:12:37 PM  Show Profile
How about this piece? http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=16082&item=6543941976&rd=1

Kay - Living in Beautiful Washington State

North Clark County Farmgirls and
Sisterhood of the Traveling Art
Go to Top of Page

ArmyWifey
True Blue Farmgirl

712 Posts

Holly
Abilene KS
712 Posts

Posted - Jul 11 2005 :  4:01:45 PM  Show Profile
I would like to but some of them are SO expensive. Although I do have a wooden suitcase! Yep I had two but one got broken, I picked them up at the FlohMarkt(Flea Market) in Germany. It's in my guest bath right now with all other travel themed stuff.

¸...¸ __/ /\____ ____
,·´º o`·,/__/ _/\_ //____/\
```)¨(´´´ | | | | | | | || |l±±±± |
¸,.-·²°´ ¸,.-·~·~·-.,¸ `°²·-. :º°

As for me and my house, we will serve the Lord!
Go to Top of Page

therusticcottage
True Blue Farmgirl

4439 Posts

Kay
Vancouver WA
USA
4439 Posts

Posted - Jul 11 2005 :  4:07:15 PM  Show Profile
Clare -- I didn't bid on the suitcase because they usually go for really big bucks. This one went for only $27 -- DARN!! Oh well -- you snooze, you lose.

Kay - Living in Beautiful Washington State

North Clark County Farmgirls and
Sisterhood of the Traveling Art
Go to Top of Page

thehouseminder
True Blue Farmgirl

361 Posts

USA
361 Posts

Posted - Jul 15 2005 :  09:24:24 AM  Show Profile
I love all of your stories about your suitcases! Just think of the interesting lives they had before they came into your home.

I have about eight vintage suitcases. My favorite one is from London and boy did I ever suffer to get it home!

I was staying in Southwest London, about four blocks from Harrod's but travelled to a bourough called Islington to check out Debbie Bliss' knitting shop and several kitchen and bath shops there. My brother, Ian, went with me and we travelled on "the tube."

One of the kitchen shops had a corner with antique household items and it was there that I found the most beautiful suitcase I had ever seen. It was a large, leather one with a lovely striped silk lining and sterling silver heart shaped fittings. As near as we could tell, it was of French manufacture and looked to be from the 20's or 30's. It was tagged at 50 pounds sterling. When I finished swooning, Ian offered to get it as an early birthday gift. He didn't have to offer twice!

Then the trouble started. It was obviously a lady's suitcase and it was equally as apparent that she must have had someone available to carry it for her because it weighed approximately 35lbs empty! We had wandered about two miles from the nearest tube station so as we walked, we took turns carrying it. We got more and more tired and hungry and it had started to rain. We finally spotted a pub called the "Slug and Lettuce." We decided that a nice restorative hamburger would be just the thing so we ducked in only to find out that it was a vegetarian pub. Who ever heard of such a thing?!?! Our "portobello mushroom burgers" were nothing more than a grilled mushroom cap sandwiched into a burger bun. Tasty, but no protein.

We left with our stomachs rumbling, shoulders aching, and a determination that we would hail a cab but there were none in sight. We sat on a park bench and waited while Ian eyed my new treasure with malice. Finally, a cab picked us up but we got stuck, in rush hour traffic, on the roundabout in front of Buckingham Palace for 45 minutes while the meter ticked away. (It's really not that attractive.)

Then, there were the fees to ship an extra (heavy) suitcase back home.

All in all it was $80.00 for the suitcase, $90.00 for the cab ride, and $105.00 to get it home.

It's still my favorite and everytime Ian visits he asks, "So, how's THAT SUITCASE!"
Go to Top of Page

Duchess
True Blue Farmgirl

109 Posts

Iowa
USA
109 Posts

Posted - May 20 2006 :  09:15:45 AM  Show Profile
I have seen that same concept in quite a few magazines so you are quite in style. They even (horrors) drilled holes through one stack and varnished them to make end tables. I enjoy the old luggage also and justify it by storing things in them, I put bars of soap in all my luggage to prevent staleness.
quote:
Originally posted by VWVixen

Way kool!

I have been collecting for several years myself- started from going to vintage car shows and the bug to get any travel related goody to add to your display of your vintage car. I had a ton a few years back but had to sell off all but my favorite set. I was *just* thinking of selling it again (and my vintage picnic baskets) because we just moved last week and they are now in the garage in the 'keep or sale?' pile.

This thread has revamped my interest and I think I will keep them. :)

I too had used them in decor...had a couple stacked on their side at the end of my couch- had 2 cases and then 1 of my picnic baskets and then an old lamp- used them as 'end tables'. I got alot of good comments on them that way.

None of my current friends understands my connection with my luggage I still have- they are big and heavy 'why would you want to use them?!'

The last time I did- I got a lot of looks from people and some comments from those old enough to remember them. Fun stuff.

Anyone collect vintage picnic baskets? or other travel related things?

-Gena

Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic Vintage Luggage Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page