westernhorse51
True Blue Farmgirl

1681 Posts

michele
farmingdale n.j.
USA
1681 Posts

Posted - Jan 22 2007 :  06:05:27 AM  Show Profile
I just finished w/ ordering my english cottage roses. Can't wait for them to be shipped. They are beautiful, I ordered 2 for the front on both sides of my picket fence & one for the front, then 2 small climbers. We will be moving from here eventually then I'll get to start all over again in another yard & someone can enjoy this one. I've already been to my favorite nursery looking around. I ordered a stone & having my favorite saying etched on it about gardening from Marcel Proust " let us be grateful to people who make us happy; They are the charming gardeners who make our souls blossom". God has blessed me abundently for giving me the gift of gardening. Now I want to be able to use it for others in some way. Sowing seeds, you know? Seeds feed people.

she selects wool and flax and works with eager hands Prov.31:13

katie-ell
True Blue Farmgirl

1818 Posts

Katie
Illinois
1818 Posts

Posted - Jan 22 2007 :  06:24:19 AM  Show Profile
I love David Austin roses! I have 'Graham Thomas' -- the most beautiful yellow -- and 'Heritage' -- a lovely soft pink. Always wanting to add more, but my suburban yard is becoming increasingly shady as our many many trees mature.

What ones did you order?

I love the Proust quotation.
Go to Top of Page

Marybeth
True Blue Farmgirl

6418 Posts

Mary Beth
Stanwood Wa 98292
USA
6418 Posts

Posted - Jan 22 2007 :  06:32:13 AM  Show Profile
Aren't David Austin roses beautiful and they smell SOOO good. MB

www.strawberryhillsfarm.blogspot.com
www.day4plus.blogspot.com
"Life may not be the party we hoped for...but while we are here we might as well dance!"
Go to Top of Page

westernhorse51
True Blue Farmgirl

1681 Posts

michele
farmingdale n.j.
USA
1681 Posts

Posted - Jan 22 2007 :  06:47:04 AM  Show Profile
I ordered Brother Cadfael its a great climber w/ old rose fragrance, its pink. Then I ordered the Cottage Rose, pink also, (love pink)it blooms all summer up to fall, has a great almond lilac fragrance, another old rose type. I may throw a pale yellow in the mix, not sure yet. I have other colors in my garden but pink is the main color. Can't help it, I love the look. My garden & yard is very much a Cottage Garden w/ bird baths, bird houses, stones, post w/ whimsical things on them, a small potting shed, ribbons for the birds, straw hats etc. It's a very small yard w/ a small mobile home but its so cute, its like a dollhouse. Actually I'm quite proud of it. I have lots of herbs growing in season outside, inside in winter. I never lived in a mobile home before here & wasn't looking forward to it as it's deemed as "trailer trash" and I HATE that so much but I always make a point to say we live in a mobile home and anyone can come to my home anytime of day or night and they will always feel welcome, can eat off my floors if thety wish, (clean) and can never leave feeling like they were in "trailer trash". Oh how I hate that phrase! When we move from here if we can't find a small cottage looking home thats affordable, we'll buy a "new mobile home" and be very happy. The new ones are beautiful.

she selects wool and flax and works with eager hands Prov.31:13
Go to Top of Page

Tina Michelle
True Blue Farmgirl

6948 Posts

Tina
sunshine state FL
USA
6948 Posts

Posted - Jan 22 2007 :  09:21:44 AM  Show Profile
I love those David Austin roses too. I have the heritage one, and quite a few others.

~Seize the Day! Live, Love, Laugh~
Go to Top of Page

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - Jan 22 2007 :  10:01:17 AM  Show Profile
I love them too! I have the Benjamin Britten that I bought in honor of my dog, Lily, after she passed. They're climbers, but it's taking a little while for them to get going. The rose itself is rust colored, and smells like pear and wine. MMMM.

I also have Carding Mill, and Compte De Champagne, which is a pretty yellow/cream color. It's not a very big rose, though. More old fashioned, I think.

They're a great company to deal with, too. Last year, when putting in my rose beds, I received my order, but instead of the Carding Mill, I got three other bushes. My order didn't state that they were out of the Carding, it was just a mismailing, so I got to keep the others too! I gave them to my mother in law, because it was more work than I wanted--I'd started beds from scratch, so by the time the roses arrived, I was beat and couldn't dream of doing another bed!!!

Just think of all of the roads there are...all of the things I haven't seen....yet.
Go to Top of Page

PocketFarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

119 Posts

Sarah
Utica New York
119 Posts

Posted - Jan 23 2007 :  7:31:20 PM  Show Profile
Oh, I love David Austin roses! I've grown a ton of them, and had to leave them all behind. My landlord killed my last one. I moved out, and a friend was going to dig it up in a day or two and save it for me, but he apparently couldn't wait that long. It was a Pat Austin, my favorite. Like this:

I love Heritage, Charlotte, I had Shakespeare at one point. There's this white one with almost a tulip form to it...The Prioress, maybe? I've always wanted to try that one.

Edited by - PocketFarmgirl on Jan 23 2007 7:33:23 PM
Go to Top of Page

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - Jan 23 2007 :  8:11:36 PM  Show Profile
That Pat Austin is beautiful--every mother's day, I let my two mother in laws pick a David Austin rose and my husband's mother, Kay, picked the Pat Austin--she has this magnificent cottage garden around this gorgeous queen anne house, and this rose sits in a very large pot on a vine covered pedestal. It's absolutely stunning to look at, though I have no idea what its' scent is because you can't walk all over the ivy covering the ground!!!

I'm sorry you had to leave your roses--that Prioress is gorgeous, too. I worry about that a bit--if we ever move, can I put it in my sales contract that I take some of the plantings????

Just think of all of the roads there are...all of the things I haven't seen....yet.
Go to Top of Page

Miss Bee Haven
True Blue Farmgirl

4331 Posts

Janice
Louisville/Irvington Kentucky
USA
4331 Posts

Posted - Jan 24 2007 :  10:37:50 AM  Show Profile  Send Miss Bee Haven a Yahoo! Message
I've grown Graham Thomas(I took slips from it and they both grew) and Mary Rose. I moved the Mary Rose to the farm and it's still there(the spot is a little too shady - I hope to take a slip or two from it in May). And Michele - I have an older mobile home at the farm and I think of it as a 'dollhouse', too. I never thought I'd have a 'trailer', but I just LOVE mine, too. People ask if I'm going to sell/get rid of it when the farmhouse is finished. The answer is a resounding 'NO'! I've washed, scrubbed and painted it. I've planted flowers and flowering shrubs around it. It's not going ANYWHERE! I think of it as a little cottage all my own.

"If you think you've got it nailed down, then what's all that around it?" - 'Brother Dave' Gardner
Go to Top of Page

therusticcottage
True Blue Farmgirl

4439 Posts

Kay
Vancouver WA
USA
4439 Posts

Posted - Jan 24 2007 :  6:31:10 PM  Show Profile
I had Graham Thomas at my other house and it was beautiful! I love the David Austin roses!

The Rustic Cottage Etsy Shop http://therusticcottage.etsy.com
Picture A Day Blog http://rcpicaday.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page
  Garden Gate: Previous Topic cottage roses from Davis Austin Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page