Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Farm Kitchen
 Authentic Cuisine-Mexican Style Cooking-so yummy
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Authentic Cuisine-Mexican Style Cooking-so yummy Next Topic  

Tina Michelle
True Blue Farmgirl

6948 Posts

Tina
sunshine state FL
USA
6948 Posts

Posted - Jan 20 2007 :  10:09:56 PM  Show Profile
I attended a cooking class today featuring authentic Mexican dishes. The hostess of the class had lived in Mexico for a little while and actually was a cook at the Phillipine Embassy there, anyhow..while on her stays in Mexico she would take the oppurtunity to visit with some of the locals and learn how to cook as they did.
Today's class was wonderful.
I will be posting the recipes that I learned about here ,and I definitely will be making a few of them this week for our family. They are definite "keepers".
Will post them tomorrow morning.

~Seize the Day! Live, Love, Laugh~

Edited by - Tina Michelle on Jan 21 2007 1:47:36 PM

FarmGirl~K
True Blue Farmgirl

512 Posts

Kelly
TX
USA
512 Posts

Posted - Jan 20 2007 :  10:21:16 PM  Show Profile
Yes Tina definitely do. Mexican food is one of my favorites & to have it authentic & make it myself would be great. Being in Texas we are fortunate to have many wonderful Mexican restauarants, but I would rather make it myself when possible. I can control what goes in & make changes as needed for our diets. I don't always trust what goes on in the kitchen where we can't see too. We are trying to get away from restaurant row, not only for health but monetary reasons as well. So anything that tastes better than going out will be a plus with my family. Thanks for sharing!

"Work as if you were to live a hundred years, pray as if you were to die tomorrow." ~Benjamin Franklin~
Go to Top of Page

lilpunkin
True Blue Farmgirl

368 Posts

Texas
USA
368 Posts

Posted - Jan 20 2007 :  10:25:57 PM  Show Profile
YUM! I love Mexican food. it is my fave. We used to live in Texas and they have the best Mexican food. but now that we live in Colorado, there isnt anywhere that just suits my fancy. So, I would love to make my own.

Life isn't measured by how many breaths you take, but by how many moments take your breath away.
Go to Top of Page

Tina Michelle
True Blue Farmgirl

6948 Posts

Tina
sunshine state FL
USA
6948 Posts

Posted - Jan 21 2007 :  1:38:24 PM  Show Profile
O.k. as promised here they are!!!

Salsa
-------------
1 can (La Costena brand) tomatillos (green sauce)
1 tomato diced
1-2 green onion stalks chopped
1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
Mix all together.
(*You can add one chopped avocado to this as well if you'd like.)
Squeeze fresh lime juice over all.

***This recipe can also be used in preparing rice..you can substitute the salsa for part of the liquid to make a festive rice.
If you prefer your salsa less chunky, simply "pulse" do not puree the salsa in a blender, you don't want juice. Just a few quick pulses in the blender will do the trick.
If you decide to use fresh tomatillos for this recipe, simply boil your tomatillos in hot water for about 2 minutes/until the tomatillos float to the top of the water.
-------------------------------

Chicken Verde
-----------
6 small boneless/skinless chicken breasts/lightly browned on both sides in a skillet.
In a small saucepan combine the following:
1 can of tomatillo sauce
1/2 pint whipping cream
1/4 cup chicken broth
cook for 5 minutes on medium heat.

Pour over chicken breasts in a casserole dish.
Top with 1 cup monterey jack cheese.
Bake for 30-40 minutes in a 350 degree oven until chicken tests done.
(**Can also add rice to the casserole prior to adding the chicken and sauce for an all in one/"take and go" dinner for a picnic/buffet/luncheon.)
--------------------------

Roasting Peppers ..how to
--------------------
you can interchange poblano and cubanelle peppers for many recipes.

To roast:
slice peppers in half
clean insides out/remove seeds and veins
place face down on an aluminum foil lined cookie sheet
Heat oven to 500 degrees
Roast for 12 minutes.
Place peppers into a plastic bag for 5 minutes/or a paper bag
When peppers have cooled enough for handling/peel skins off.
It is o.k. to leave a little skin on if you like a few of the tiny roasted parts to show in your salsas or recipe.
---------------------------

Roasted Poblano Cream Soup-serves 6
----------------------------
1 cup cooked smoky meat-diced, such as smoked ham, turkey, sausage, or any meat really can be used (but traditionally this soup is made with smoked varieties, but if you have leftovers, use those.)

1 cup cooked/diced red potatoes

Set aside/keep warm
```````````
You'll need the following:
6 med. poblano chiles
1 lg. white onion
3 tsp. garlic paste (Amore concentrated garlic paste) or 3tsp.garlic minced
1/2 tsp Italian seasoning (that includes oregano and thyme)
6 cups spinach or chard (you can also use collard/mustard/or other greens in season)
4 1/2 cup chicken stock/divided-reserve 3 cups plus 1/2 cup
1/2 cup whipping cream
1/4 cup masa harina
3 Tbsp.cilantro
6 stale corn tortillas
canola oil
salt to taste
-----------
Roast poblanos.
Remove stems, seeds, skin.
Cut into strips.
Slice onion and spinach into strips.
In a saute pan heat 1 Tbsp.oil and cook onions until brown, about 2 mins.
Add garlic paste and Italian seasoningand cook an additional minute.
Stir in chiles, spinach or chard and 1 cup of chicken stock.
Simmer until spinach is cooked but still green/about 3 minutes.
Puree this in a food processor.
Strain if desired.
In a saucepan add puree mixture,3 cups of chicken stock, and 1/2 cup whipping cream.Simmer.
Mix the remaining 1/2 cup of stock with the masa harina.
Strain the masa mixture into the simmering soup while whisking and continue to whisk until the soup returns to a boil and thickens.
Simmer soup on low for about 5 minutes.
Salt to taste.
Cut tortillas into thin slices and in hot oil fry strips until crisp.
--------
In bottom of bowls add a bit of potatoes and meat.
Ladle in soup and garnish with tortilla strips and cilantro.
------------------------
*** you can also add roasted corn to the puree mix if desired.
*****To adjust the amount of servings you need, just make sure you use at least 1 poblano chile, 1 cup of spinach or chard, and 1 tortilla for each serving that you need
-------------------------------------------------------------

Chicken with Chipolte Cream and Spinach-serves 4
-----------
4 boneless/skinless chicken breasts
3 chiles from out of a canned Chipolte En Adobo/chopped(cans generally include about 8 peppers/you only want to uses 3 for this recipe)
1 1/4 cups Whipping cream/reserve 2 Tbsp.
1/4 cup chicken stock
6 cups spinach(about 10 ounces)
salt to taste
Pepper/Lime seasoning
Adobo seasoning
----------
Sprinkle chicken breasts liberally with the Adobo seasoning and Pepper/Lime.
Using a meat punder gently tap the seasonings into the meat.
Dice the chipolte chiles with some of the adobo sauce.
Stir together the diced chiles with 2 Tbsp. whipping cream.
Spread this over the chicken breasts.
Cover and refrigerate several hours.
(if you are in a hurry, you can still prepare this dish/just make sure that your meat has a chance to marinate for at least 30 minutes/keeping the meat chilled))
Lay the chicken on a foil lined broiler pan.
Broil for 4-5 minutes.
Turn chicken breasts over.
Pour remaining whipping cream around the chicken, cook for an additional 4-6 minutes. Until chicken is browned.
Transfer chicken to a plate and keep warm.
In a saucepan/with a spatula,retrieve the juices from the broiler pan/add the chicken stock and spinach.Bring to a boil and stir continuously until sauce is reduced and spinach is wilted.
Season to taste with salt and spoon around the chicken to serve.
-----------------------------------------------------------

Black Beans with Corn Masa Dumplings
---------------
1 lb. dry black beans(or can use canned black beans)
4 canned Chipolte En Adoba(4 actual peppers)
3 chili Ancho or pasilla(these come in a package dried)
3 Tsp garlic paste (or minced garlic if you cannot find paste)
1 small white onion
3/4 cup Masa Harina
2/3 cup warm water
3/4 cup Chopped Cilantro
1 1/2 cups Crumbled Queso Fresco(6 ozs, not the melting kind/the crumbling kind that resembles feta)
6 cups chard, collard, or spinach
canola oil
Stock (beef, chicken, or ham)
salt
`````````````````````````
Rinse beans. In a large stock pot or dutch oven cover the beans with water or chicken or beef stock at least 1/2 inch above the beans. Bring to boil, then reduce heat. cover and cook about 2 hours.
Stir occasionally and add water as needed.(you can used canned black beans if you need to have a speedier dish ready)

Remove stems and seeds from the chile anchos, cover them with hot liquid(water or stock)and soak for at least 30 minutes.Drain off liquid.

In a food processor,puree the soaked chile anchos, chile en adobo, garlic and onion. Gradually add 1/2 cup liquid(water or stock) to help the puree.
(***special note: this red sauce can be made seperately for enchiladas by adding 1 can of tomatillo sauce to the mix, can also be used as a salsa)

On medium heat add 2 Tbsp oil in large sauce pan or dutch oven.
Add puree to pan and stir constantly about 2 minutes.Add beans to pan and simmer 30 minutes.

In mixing bowl mix masa harina, and 2/3 cup water or stock.Add 2 Tablespoons oil, 1/2 tsp.salt, 1/4 cup chopped cilantro and 1 1/2 cups of cheese.
Mix and form into 48 balls.
Cover.

Check pot of beans. If there is not enough liquid to simmer dumplings and greens, then add more liquid.
If there is too much liquid in the beans then take some of the beans and puree them and add the puree back into the beans to thicken.Season to taste with salt.

Add dumplings to the beans.Simmer 5 minutes.
Add greens and simmer until greens are tender.

Serve with chopped cilantro and warm tortillas.

______________________________________________-
Hope that you enjoy these recipes!

Go to Top of Page

Marybeth
True Blue Farmgirl

6418 Posts

Mary Beth
Stanwood Wa 98292
USA
6418 Posts

Posted - Jan 21 2007 :  2:24:35 PM  Show Profile
Yummy!! Sounds great Tina. I have a great book called Daisy Cooks, Latin flavors that will rock your world. She has a show on NPR but I can't ever find it. Her book is great, very informative and newsy. Good luck on your adventures into Latin cooking. MB

www.strawberryhillsfarm.blogspot.com
www.day4plus.blogspot.com
"Life may not be the party we hoped for...but while we are here we might as well dance!"

Edited by - Marybeth on Jan 21 2007 2:25:22 PM
Go to Top of Page

Tina Michelle
True Blue Farmgirl

6948 Posts

Tina
sunshine state FL
USA
6948 Posts

Posted - Jan 21 2007 :  6:35:32 PM  Show Profile
made the poblano soup tonight..oh silly me..I smelled the peppers and they looked and smelled alot like bell peppers, so I did what I normally do when cooking with a fresh bell pepper..I leaned over and took a bite...oh land sakes alive!!! was I on fire!!! aye yi yi yowzers! I was one hot mama I tell you! My mouth and upper lip all the way to my nose was screaming out for relief! wheew weee!
It took 3 times of washing my face with soapy water and then getting a banana and eating on that..slowly, and sort of just letting the banana sit on my mouth a little to finally get relief!
So..as a word of warning...DO NOT! DO NOT!! DO NOT!! Touch your eyes/mouth or whatever..when working on slicing the peppers, and don't think..oooh that looks and smells like a bell pepper, I bet it tastes as nice and cool and refreshing...ha!
Now you have been warned..and I had to learn it a bit tougher..LOL

Anyhow..the soup turned out very well.
I'd say that for me, the first time with the recipe, start to finish, cooking potatoes and meat to go in base of bowl, then the soup puree/cooking of the soup, all took an hour and 15 minutes.

Go to Top of Page

country lawyer
True Blue Farmgirl

1022 Posts

1022 Posts

Posted - Jan 24 2007 :  07:39:35 AM  Show Profile
Hi Tina, Thanks so much for these recipes! I did a light version last night of your Chicken Verde. It was fantastic, even lightened up. My husband said "restaurant flavor." Yummy. I am planning on trying some of the others too.

"The secret of life is enjoying the passage of time."
James Taylor

www.ragstoroses.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

_Rebecca_
True Blue Farmgirl

568 Posts

Rebecca
OK
USA
568 Posts

Posted - Jan 24 2007 :  07:44:19 AM  Show Profile
Oh, you people are wonderful....yummmmm.. Thanks for the posted recipes!

.·:*¨¨* :·.Rebecca.·:*¨¨* :·.
Wife of Jonathan, Mother of Joel, Caitlyn, Elia, Nathanael
Go to Top of Page

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Jan 24 2007 :  08:33:04 AM  Show Profile
Hey Tina or anybody: What is the best kind of meat to use for making steak fajitas? I made some last week and OBVIOUSLY chose the wrong cut because it was REALLT tough for fajitas. It was more like you would expect a regular steak to be it wasn't all melty/fall apart like fajitas usually are.

Jewelry, art, baskets, etc.

www.willowtreecreek.com
Go to Top of Page

Tina Michelle
True Blue Farmgirl

6948 Posts

Tina
sunshine state FL
USA
6948 Posts

Posted - Jan 24 2007 :  1:48:11 PM  Show Profile
hi Rebekah, glad the recipe turned out for you!.
Julie, I'm not sure exactly what type of steak to use, but alot of the recipes I have seen for fajitas calls for a flank steak.I too used to end up with steak being well..like shoe leather, until I learned that I could prepare them under the broiler with the door kept slightly ajar.Don't close the door on the stove.

Go to Top of Page

Naturecraft
True Blue Farmgirl

82 Posts

Cheryl
Loveland CO
USA
82 Posts

Posted - Mar 14 2007 :  08:03:07 AM  Show Profile
YUMMY YUMMY! Thanks for the recipes. I love Mexican food. I am so excited to try these out, especially the black beans with corn masa dumplings. Something different.
Thanks,
Cheryl
Go to Top of Page

threebusybees
True Blue Farmgirl

222 Posts

Mandi
Myrtle Beach South Carolina
222 Posts

Posted - Mar 16 2007 :  08:41:29 AM  Show Profile
Thanks so much for posting the recipes. I am in a cooking rut and these are just what I need! Mandi
Go to Top of Page

westernhorse51
True Blue Farmgirl

1681 Posts

michele
farmingdale n.j.
USA
1681 Posts

Posted - Mar 16 2007 :  7:22:43 PM  Show Profile
Tina thank you, I cant wait to try these great recipes. I LOVE mexican food.

she selects wool and flax and works with eager hands Prov.31:13
Go to Top of Page

Tina Michelle
True Blue Farmgirl

6948 Posts

Tina
sunshine state FL
USA
6948 Posts

Posted - Mar 16 2007 :  7:27:13 PM  Show Profile
they are very yummy..so I'm sure you'll like them. I got to taste samples of everything except for the chicken with cream dish..so I know first hand that everything is delicious..I made the roasted poblano soup here at home and it is a definite winner..my crew whipped right through it..it was one of those"are there 2nd's left mom?" sort of dishes.

Have fun!

Edited by - Tina Michelle on Mar 16 2007 7:31:30 PM
Go to Top of Page

Ronna
True Blue Farmgirl

1891 Posts

Ronna
Fernley NV
USA
1891 Posts

Posted - Mar 19 2007 :  8:35:31 PM  Show Profile
Julie,
The traditional meat for fajitas is skirt steak, but finding a meat market that has it is about impossible unless you can find a mexican market. I've been told that even before fajitas became popular, it's the cut the butcher took home for his family. I've cut up a rib or T-bone steak and cooked it quickly over high heat, to maintain the juiciness and flavor. Some cuts of beef are so much more flavorful and many of those require long slow cooking, so it's a tricky one.
Ronna
Go to Top of Page

Local Chick
Farmgirl in Training

11 Posts

Janice
Texas Hill Country
11 Posts

Posted - Mar 24 2007 :  08:28:06 AM  Show Profile
Julie I dont know what part of the country you are in but here in Texas one can find fajita meat as easy as hamburger. You can ask your butcher if they can sale you a couple of lbs of skirt steak. It should be long & narrow like a belt. Hence the name fajita, in spanish the word faja is belt,

It marinates wonderfully then grilled to perfection served up with some hot tortillas and gucamole!

ETA: If you do end up serving tortillas let me inspire you to make the tortillas featured in the Special Recipe Issue P.95 mmm mmmm mmm & quick & easy to boot!

Good luck ....hope you find some skirt steak!

Life is Good!

Edited by - Local Chick on Mar 24 2007 08:49:36 AM
Go to Top of Page

bramble
True Blue Farmgirl

2044 Posts

2044 Posts

Posted - Mar 24 2007 :  09:07:16 AM  Show Profile
Julie- Our market has it already packaged though sometimes hard to find in the weekend rush. Ask the meat people, sometimes they have more cuts of meat in the back or can lop you off what you need! Also, if you are looking for the "good" ribs, they are ALWAYS in the back!(Atleast at our three markets!)
Tina- Dh lived in Colorado and they have pretty decent mexican food too. I printed out the recipes and he is all charged up to cook! Yeah me! Thanks for sharing!

Marybeth- Check your PBS listings for Daisy Cooks. It's on here on the weekends and one evening atleast a week. Probably somewhere for you too! (We are fortunate to have 4 PBS stations come in where we are located so we get alittle extra variety but it's usually most of the same cooking shows, just different times.

with a happy heart
Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Authentic Cuisine-Mexican Style Cooking-so yummy Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page