FarmGirl~K
True Blue Farmgirl

512 Posts

Kelly
TX
USA
512 Posts

Posted - Jan 20 2007 :  8:57:19 PM  Show Profile
Just wondering if anyone had an herbal remedy for pink eye? My daughter woke up this morning with what looks to be pink eye. Of course it is Saturady & the dr's office isn't open. Not tomorrow either. So I was wondering if there is something I can get her started on so it doesn't get worse. I would also like to keep the risk of spreading to the rest of us too. I have already let her know about not touching her eyes & washing her hands alot.

Thanks!

"Work as if you were to live a hundred years, pray as if you were to die tomorrow." ~Benjamin Franklin~

Marybeth
True Blue Farmgirl

6418 Posts

Mary Beth
Stanwood Wa 98292
USA
6418 Posts

Posted - Jan 20 2007 :  9:19:09 PM  Show Profile
Hi Kelly. Brighteye, goldenseal or mullein compresses are soothing and help reduce inflammation. You can make a tea using one of these herbs, cool to a warm temp and soak a cloth or a piece of sterile cotton to make the compress. Apply the compress and have your daughter just relax for 10 minutes. After each use either discard or wash the compress. Use a clothe dipped in the tea to wipe the edges of theeyelid if it is scaly. Hope that helps. sometimes in the herbal part of your grocery store you can find teas already made up. Not to drink. MB

www.strawberryhillsfarm.blogspot.com
www.day4plus.blogspot.com
"Life may not be the party we hoped for...but while we are here we might as well dance!"
Go to Top of Page

lilpunkin
True Blue Farmgirl

368 Posts

Texas
USA
368 Posts

Posted - Jan 20 2007 :  9:44:14 PM  Show Profile
I looked it up and saw that the eyebright or brighteye is really good to use and will clear it up quick. I hope it works. And I hope she gets to feeling better. Just tell her that her I will be praying for her.

lilpunkin

Life isn't measured by how many breaths you take, but by how many moments take your breath away.
Go to Top of Page

FarmGirl~K
True Blue Farmgirl

512 Posts

Kelly
TX
USA
512 Posts

Posted - Jan 20 2007 :  10:00:21 PM  Show Profile
Thanks Marybeth & lilpunkin! I will have to go look for those tomorrow. My daughter just might like to put that on her eyes & kick back. Make it like a spa treatment! Pink eye is so yucky. I know we have all gotten it at one time or another, but it sure stinks. I would definitely like to get rid of it naturally instead of the dr. I did see something that said to use chamomile tea bags after they have cooled or use the tea from that. I wanted to see if someone had found something that worked first before trying a bunch of other things. I know there are plenty of you girls who have used herbal remedies on other things with success. Many manmade medicines seem to take longer too. And the prayers are appreciated!

"Work as if you were to live a hundred years, pray as if you were to die tomorrow." ~Benjamin Franklin~
Go to Top of Page

DaisyFarm
True Blue Farmgirl

1646 Posts

Diane
Victoria BC
Canada
1646 Posts

Posted - Jan 20 2007 :  10:15:07 PM  Show Profile
My daughter is a lab tech at our hospital and has contracted pink eye on a few occasions, mostly from peds kiddies. She says it can be a bacterial OR viral infection. If it does turn out to be bacterial, she says to ask for antibiotic eyedrops as most doctors just write a prescription for an oral antibiotic which isn't always necessary to treat just an eye infection.
Just a thought.
Di

Go to Top of Page

lilpunkin
True Blue Farmgirl

368 Posts

Texas
USA
368 Posts

Posted - Jan 20 2007 :  10:22:07 PM  Show Profile
I also saw that you can use Chamomile tea bags. So if you have those, give them a try before you go out and buy something else.

Life isn't measured by how many breaths you take, but by how many moments take your breath away.
Go to Top of Page

shmeg
True Blue Farmgirl

222 Posts

Megan
Granville Ohio
USA
222 Posts

Posted - Jan 21 2007 :  6:25:55 PM  Show Profile
If you are breastfeeding you can also squirt a little breastmilk in the eyes, or into something else and make a little eyewash out of it. Might sound a little strange, but it can really help.

-Megan
Go to Top of Page

faithymom
True Blue Farmgirl

360 Posts

Faith
Sandpoint ID
USA
360 Posts

Posted - Jan 21 2007 :  8:49:21 PM  Show Profile
My mother always made a weak chamomile tea to wash our eyes with and she'd make sure a bit got into our eyes, also.
This has worked with my own children, too.

"All television is educational television. The only question is, what is it teaching?"-Fmr. FCC Commissioner Nicholas Johnson
Go to Top of Page

FarmGirl~K
True Blue Farmgirl

512 Posts

Kelly
TX
USA
512 Posts

Posted - Jan 21 2007 :  9:29:47 PM  Show Profile
Thanks everyone for your advice. we did get some chamomile tea bags today. My daughter is trying that & thinks they are getting better already.

Megan... My youngest is 12, otherwise that would have been a truly natural alternative. I would have definitely tried if I still was though. Thanks!

Go to Top of Page
  Herbal Wisdom: Previous Topic Pink Eye Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page