True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - Jan 20 2007 :  11:51:34 AM  Show Profile
Hi ladies
With all the snow and cold around here I am in the mood for a new chili recipe. I love the one I have but I am ready for a CHANGE!
With the goats in the kitchen I can not make something that requires to much fuss! Thanks in advance.

What you do not know about my kitchen guests go to www.larkspurfunnyfarm.blogspot.com We have a contest going too with Prizes! Don't be shy - it alot of fun and easy too!

Grace Gerber
Larkspur Funny Farm and Fiber Art Studio

Where the spirits are high and the fiber is deep
http://www.larkspurfunnyfarm.etsy.com
http://larkspurfunnyfarm.blogspot.com

ponyexpress
True Blue Farmgirl

320 Posts

Sandy
Kirkwood Missouri
USA
320 Posts

Posted - Jan 20 2007 :  12:47:54 PM  Show Profile
Grace, here is a new twist to an old recipe:

They call it Taco Soup/I call it Chili

1 pkg taco seasoning
1 pkg ranch dressing mix
2 cans (14-16 oz) diced tomatoes (I use the ones with onions and garlic)
1 medium onion, chopped
1 can corn (not creamed) ( I use frozen - about 1 cup)
1 can beans - your choice, but not beans in chili sauce - drained and rinsed
1 pound ground beef - cooked and crumbled (I usually substitute chicken)
2 cups or more of chicken stock - depends on how thick you like the final product

I usually saute the onions in a little olive oil/butter till soft, then add other ingredients and simmer.

This is a great crockpot recipe. It has that "chili" taste but just a touch milder. Suits me just fine!

I'm heading south for the winter. Some parts of my body already have a head start!
Go to Top of Page

ponyexpress
True Blue Farmgirl

320 Posts

Sandy
Kirkwood Missouri
USA
320 Posts

Posted - Jan 20 2007 :  6:43:04 PM  Show Profile
Me again! I just remembered this one...it's not a chili, but is a favorite soup of mine.

Tuscan Tortellini Soup

1 cup chopped cooked chicken
2 cloves garlic, pressed
2 cups chopped, fresh spinach
2 cups chicken broth (or more depending upon how thick or soupy you want the finished product)
1/2 cup lentils
1 14 oz can diced tomatoes
1 8 oz pkg tortellini, cheese filled

Cook spinach and garlic in 1T olive oil + 1 T butter
Add broth, lentils, tomatoes and chicken. Simmer till heated through and lentils are tender - about 20 minutes.

Add tortellini, cook a few minutes according to package directions.
Sprinkle grated parmesan cheese over hot soup in bowl.

I'm heading south for the winter. Some parts of my body already have a head start!
Go to Top of Page

Marybeth
True Blue Farmgirl

6418 Posts

Mary Beth
Stanwood Wa 98292
USA
6418 Posts

Posted - Jan 20 2007 :  7:13:03 PM  Show Profile
Grace this is how I make chili. Kind of like stew--this that and everything else.Wing-it chili
Saute' 1 lb. of hamburger-any kind you like-I like buffalo
Add onion with meat
seasonings-chili powder, pepper, garlic powder, onion powder-I don't use salt but you may
simmer good
add 3 cans of beans-I use a mix of kidney and pinto-drain only if you want to.
1 or 2 cans diced tomatoes-sometimes with mexi sauce or even italian sauce
cover with liquid and simmer until it is just right. Experiment until it is right.

www.strawberryhillsfarm.blogspot.com
www.day4plus.blogspot.com
"Life may not be the party we hoped for...but while we are here we might as well dance!"
Go to Top of Page

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - Jan 21 2007 :  4:13:24 PM  Show Profile
Thanks so much ladies, I wrote them down and will be making them soon - we are having another snow storm, already 8 inches with drifts of another 2 1/2 feet so these dishes so sure will come in handy. I just get tired on making the same old standby's even if they are good.

Still dancing around the kitchen with the goat kids so cooking is simple right now. Turned on the oven this morning to bake and they both tried to stick their noses on the door. They did love the heat that it gave off.

Stay warm and THANKS again.

Grace Gerber

Go to Top of Page

faithymom
True Blue Farmgirl

360 Posts

Faith
Sandpoint ID
USA
360 Posts

Posted - Jan 21 2007 :  8:53:51 PM  Show Profile
Try this one from my favorite site, www.cooksillustrated.com

Cincinnati Chili
Choose a relatively plain tomato sauce-nothing too spicy or herbaceous. To warm the kidney beans, simmer them in water to cover for several minutes and then drain.

Serves 6 to 8
Chili

2 teaspoons table salt or more to taste
1 1/2 pounds ground beef chuck
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
2 medium onions , chopped fine (about 2 cups)
2 medium cloves garlic , minced or pressed through a garlic press (about 2 teaspoons)
2 tablespoons chili powder
2 teaspoons dried oregano
2 teaspoons cocoa
1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
2 cups low-sodium chicken broth
2 cups water
2 tablespoons cider vinegar
2 teaspoons dark brown sugar
2 cups tomato sauce
hot pepper sauce

Accompaniments

1 pound spaghetti , cooked, drained, and tossed with 2 tablespoons of unsalted butter
12 ounces sharp cheddar cheese , shredded
1 can red kidney beans (15-ounce), drained, rinsed, and warmed
1 medium white onion , chopped fine (about 1 cup)

1. FOR THE CHILI: Bring 2 quarts of water and 1 teaspoon of the salt to a boil in a large saucepan. Add the ground chuck, stirring vigorously to separate the meat into individual strands. As soon as the foam from the meat rises to the top (this takes about 30 seconds) and before the water returns to a boil, drain the meat into a strainer and set it aside.

2. Rinse and dry the empty saucepan. Set the pan over medium heat and add the oil. When the oil is warm, add the onions and cook, stirring frequently, until the onions are soft and browned around the edges, about 8 minutes. Add the garlic and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute. Stir in the chili powder, oregano, cocoa, cinnamon, cayenne, allspice, black pepper, and the remaining 1 teaspoon salt. Cook, stirring constantly, until the spices are fragrant, about 30 seconds. Stir in the broth, water, vinegar, sugar, and tomato sauce, scraping the pan bottom to remove any browned bits.

3. Add the blanched ground beef and increase the heat to high. As soon as the liquid boils, reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer, stirring occasionally, until the chili is deep red and has thickened slightly, about 1 hour. Adjust the seasonings, adding salt and hot pepper sauce to taste. (The chili can be refrigerated in an airtight container for up to 3 days. Bring to a simmer over medium-low heat before serving.)

4. TO SERVE: Divide the buttered spaghetti among individual bowls. Spoon the chili over the spaghetti and top with the cheese, beans, and onion. Serve immediately.

"All television is educational television. The only question is, what is it teaching?"-Fmr. FCC Commissioner Nicholas Johnson
Go to Top of Page

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - Jan 22 2007 :  08:38:53 AM  Show Profile
Faith that sounds so good my mouth is watering. I showed it to my oldest son and if he can snow shoe out today (Yes another blizzard with 3 feet drifts in our road) he has added the ingred's we did not have to our list. I love the spaghetti because I just made a batch the other day before I had the goat kids in the kitchen - that will be a new way to use them.

Grace Gerber

Go to Top of Page

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - Jan 22 2007 :  11:22:03 AM  Show Profile
Grace (and Faith), being from the Cincy area, I hope you like the chili--I'm glad to see that other folks have a taste for it. You'd be surprised how many times we've had friends come in from the south and say, "chili? this isn't chili, it has spaghetti, and I taste chocolate in this chili!!!" In fact, there is some chocolate, also some cinnamon...depending on the greek family that makes it. Every family around here has their own version, just the slightest bit different. If you ever get up this way, go to Camp Washington Chili or Price Hill chili. They haven't changed since the 1930's.

Enjoy!!

Just think of all of the roads there are...all of the things I haven't seen....yet.
Go to Top of Page

faithymom
True Blue Farmgirl

360 Posts

Faith
Sandpoint ID
USA
360 Posts

Posted - Jan 22 2007 :  1:51:32 PM  Show Profile
I actually haven't tried this, yet, but I may have to do it tonight...I'm trying hard to cut back on the food budget and I already have everything I need to make this...

"All television is educational television. The only question is, what is it teaching?"-Fmr. FCC Commissioner Nicholas Johnson
Go to Top of Page

katie-ell
True Blue Farmgirl

1818 Posts

Katie
Illinois
1818 Posts

Posted - Jan 22 2007 :  2:00:55 PM  Show Profile
I love chili over pasta! Also, I love to make baked spaghetti -- a basic marinara, combined with a roux for creaminess; add also sauteed chopped onions, green pepper, celery and carrots. Mix into cooked (al dente) spaghetti & put into a casserole; top with cheese/ cheeses (mozzarella, cheddar, parmesan). Bake until heated through, bubbly, and crispy around the edges. This is from an old Cooking Light cookbook -- making the roux with butter, flour, chicken stock and a little milk for creaminess. The flavors just meld together in such a great way. And it takes more 'add-to's' as well -- shredded chicken or cooked ground turkey or chicken . . . .

I have to go eat now! (Ha. Still a couple hours away from dinner, but boy am I hungry!)
Go to Top of Page

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - Jan 22 2007 :  4:48:31 PM  Show Profile
Katie-ell That sounds like something I will be making on Sunday! It am guessing that it will freeze nicely too! I try to make at least double of a dish when I cook that way I always stay ahead of the game and on those days when I might not be able to make a meal there are many to pick from in the freezer. I also purchase food when on sale and then keep track of it so when a good recipe hits I do not have to go to the store too often. With all the storms I have had to dig deep for new ideas and you ladies sure have helped out this very sleepy Goat Mommy. Just an update - today the kids figured out there are two goats in the stove (not really just their reflection) but it has given them alot to play with in the kitchen.
Thanks again for the great recipes and if you have more I am writing them down on my recipe cards and putting them in the box.

Grace Gerber

Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Need a New Chili Recipe Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page