cecelia
True Blue Farmgirl

497 Posts

cecelia
new york
USA
497 Posts

Posted - Jun 26 2005 :  4:40:55 PM  Show Profile
Some of the underwire bras actually have plastic (wires) and won't set off the metal detectors. I found this out when I started removing the underwires from some of my bras!
I recently found some really comfortable camisoles from Jockey Co. which have a lot of stretch to them, but don't ride up (at least not yet, they're still new!!). I can "go without" but it helps to have a non-see through blouse!

Cecelia

ce's farm

"Curiosity is one of the forms of feminine bravery" Victor Hugo
Go to Top of Page

psouper
True Blue Farmgirl

50 Posts

50 Posts

Posted - Jun 26 2005 :  4:49:14 PM  Show Profile
Don't laugh gals, but I have been making my own undies after being unable to find exactly what I want. I use a shorts pattern and nice egyptian cotton. 1/4 inch elastic at the waist and a little lace at the bottom - sew a little silk rosebud so I can tell front from back and Voila! Bloomers! I am a mostly skirt and dress person and bloomers never creep up and I never have to pull them out of . . .. well, you know. They are airy and cool.

I think our foremothers knew what they were doing when they donned a cotton or linen shift, some sensible stays and bloomers or no undies.

Always sleeping in my "tan pajamas,"

P.
Go to Top of Page

MeadowLark
True Blue Farmgirl

2206 Posts

USA
2206 Posts

Posted - Jun 26 2005 :  6:09:47 PM  Show Profile
What a great idea psouper!

"Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing, there is a field. I'll meet you there." Rumi, 13th century. http://www.xs4all.nl/~josvg/cits/sb/sb101.html
Go to Top of Page

sqrl
True Blue Farmgirl

605 Posts

Melissa
Northern California
USA
605 Posts

Posted - Jun 27 2005 :  4:58:31 PM  Show Profile
Lynn and all
For a yeast infection definitely take some apple cider vinegar anyway you can, like in a salad. It will change your body PH to a little more alkline and yeast can't live in an alkline environment. Also you can dilute the vinegar and wash the area with it, it should kill it. But it must be apple cider, no other vinegar will help. Also stay away from any sugar, flour and alcohol, yeast thirves off of these things. We cured my sister-in-laws thursh this way and she had it bad when she first started to breast feed. She took a shot glass of cider vinegar every day and ate a lot of yogurt.

Blessed Be

www.sqrlbee.com
Go to Top of Page

Clare
True Blue Farmgirl

2173 Posts

NC WA State
USA
2173 Posts

Posted - Jul 22 2005 :  11:18:55 AM  Show Profile
Here's my update, girls... my solution has been a mixture of Desitin and Bassatraycin lotions/ointments (daughter recommended this as was suggested to her by a nurse for diaper rashes)... and Fruit of the Loom boxer briefs. I think this was very much like "jock itch"... ie, sweating too much, and this time of the year with the extreme temps many of us are experiencing, it seems to be a heightened experience. I'm going to embroider the briefs (longer legs), to make them more feminine in the you know what critical spot! haha! That'll spiff them up! (Let's just hope I don't have any emergency room trips any time soon, or I'll confound the doctors, won't I?) I haven't found any women's briefs that are the longer cut leg. Anyone have any sources?

**** Love is the great work - though every heart is first an apprentice. - Hafiz
Set a high value on spontaneous kindness. - Samuel Johnson****

Edited by - Clare on Jul 22 2005 11:22:30 AM
Go to Top of Page

bubblesnz
True Blue Farmgirl

291 Posts

helen

New Zealand
291 Posts

Posted - Jul 22 2005 :  4:35:19 PM  Show Profile
Ok all, I'm in cotton knickers too, but wear a g/string or the little loose leg pantie. Now, I wear the g/string for a reason. (Am going to share a secret here)This maybe just too much information for some, so skip reading this :)
I wear ones with a wider strip at the back, never a narrow skinny one. The reason for this, is that it actually helps support my hemorroids......
Duh..... I feel so embarassed, but thats the truth of it.

A great oak, is just a little nut which held it's ground.
Go to Top of Page

MeadowLark
True Blue Farmgirl

2206 Posts

USA
2206 Posts

Posted - Jul 22 2005 :  4:56:53 PM  Show Profile
Helen, Don't feel embarrased...we all have our laundry hanging out there Some of us wear grannys, some wear men's boxers, some go "commando". When I lived in an apartment I so badly wanted to put a line up on the balcony to line dry my "unmentionables" but was too modest to do so...there were bachelors living all around me ( I was a new bride) and just felt too wierd, like I was advertising or something. By the way Clare, have you looked at Jockey boy cut briefs or Hanes?

"Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing, there is a field. I'll meet you there." Rumi, 13th century. http://www.xs4all.nl/~josvg/cits/sb/sb101.html
Go to Top of Page

thehouseminder
True Blue Farmgirl

361 Posts

USA
361 Posts

Posted - Jul 22 2005 :  5:49:23 PM  Show Profile
Hi Clare, I had a similar problem which started in my early teens. It turns out I am allergic to latex. I now sew my own from a Kwik Sew pattern and I bind the elastic inside a thin strip of the same fabric I use for the front and the back.

I would definitely check with your doctor. If you are allergic, it can escalate. I eventually had problems with most bandages, adhesive tape, gloves I use to clean around the house, etc. I have to send a friend to buy tires for my car because I can't be around all that rubber (made from latex).

If you want to know more, e-mail me

Lucinda

Who loves a garden still his Eden keeps, Perennial pleasures plants, and wholesome harvest reaps. ---Bronson Alcott

Go to Top of Page

therusticcottage
True Blue Farmgirl

4439 Posts

Kay
Vancouver WA
USA
4439 Posts

Posted - Jul 22 2005 :  5:51:12 PM  Show Profile
I'm just dying laughing after reading this whole discussion from Page 1. Best laugh I've had all day. Clare -- I about fell off the chair when you were talking about wearing a scarf to cover up the fact that you're braless. I was thinking, well if she doesn't want her nipples to show she could try bandaids!

I'm definitely a cotton brief person -- Fruit of the Loom. About a month ago I got some in colors instead of all white -- trying to spice up my life. As for not wearing a bra -- oh heaven help us all -- that would not be a pretty site. When you're a 46 DD it's hard to find a scarf big enough to cover all the right areas. Although as I get older and gravity works its magic, pretty soon everything will be hidden on it's own, if you know what I mean.

Kay - Living in Beautiful Washington State
Go to Top of Page

sleepless reader
True Blue Farmgirl

1022 Posts

CA
USA
1022 Posts

Posted - Jul 22 2005 :  5:59:46 PM  Show Profile
Clare, try Vermont Country Store for the longer leg undies. I have some that are 100% cotton that I'd originally bought for winter wear, but find I like them even more in the summer under dresses as it prevents those chaffing issues!
Sharon
Go to Top of Page

lamarguerite farm
True Blue Farmgirl

649 Posts

missy
Battle Ground Wa
USA
649 Posts

Posted - Jul 22 2005 :  6:07:30 PM  Show Profile
Clare- It sounds as though you are developing a latex allergy?!

And to think I was going to bring up a topic on vintage buttons today. Apparently I'm going to have to do better than that from now on! ha ha! What a hoot!!!

Missy

"Show me you're garden and I shall tell you what you are."
-Alfred Austin 1905
Go to Top of Page

Clare
True Blue Farmgirl

2173 Posts

NC WA State
USA
2173 Posts

Posted - Jul 22 2005 :  6:07:35 PM  Show Profile
You're right Kay, there's only so much scarf that one can wear! My boobs are about 38-40B, so it's more manageable so to speak... and as I get rid of a few pounds, I'm loosing 'em off my boobs too, YEAH! Isn't it funny how when you're growing up you want bigger boobs, then when they show up eventually, you've got all these issues to manage?!

**** Love is the great work - though every heart is first an apprentice. - Hafiz
Set a high value on spontaneous kindness. - Samuel Johnson****
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Jul 22 2005 :  6:27:02 PM  Show Profile
a scarf wouldn't do it for me either...40DD. Yikes. I don't remember the last time I could go braless in public. I do go braless all the time when I am at home on hot days in my bib overalls...covers alot..but couldn't go to town like that. I always envied gals with about 34B size. That is so manageable sounding.

Jenny in Utah
The best things in life arn't things!
Go to Top of Page

FarrarFarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

330 Posts

Lynda
Frohna Missouri
USA
330 Posts

Posted - Jul 22 2005 :  7:33:36 PM  Show Profile
Oh, ladies, this is all too good! This is truly girl talk. I'm laughing so hard, it's all so true, I can't help it. You all are such good company, this is like having a slumber party!

Yes! to no bras! I HATE them.
Yes! to gravity disguises
Yes! to oversized sweatshirts
Yes! to cotton grannies
Yes! to manageable bouncing
Yes! to ah-h naturel
Yes! to the cover of overalls

I'm not exactly what you want to see walking around in public without any "personal support", but if you take a look around, you will quickly see that alot of women do - and if they can - I can. Also today's fashions allow for such comfort so much more than the skin hugging shirts of days gone-by. So many of the shirts are made to wear "just as you are." I have recently gotten one of those tank-tops with the built-in bra - I thought I would be very self-conscience about it - but they are pretty nice. I even went to the grocery store without an over shirt, let me tell you, that was wa-a-a-y out of my comfort zone, but so is the heat here, and I was not going to wear anymore than was absolutely necessary without being too indecent.

As for the lower half, I'm a granny panty granny and when I wear skirts or dresses I wear biker shorts to curb the chafing, however they have spandex, so that might not work for those who are allergic to latex. Every once in a while I get a catalog from L.L Bean and they carry a nice line of cotton under garments, some long and some short. For those of you looking for the comfort of cotton, they have a web site, that you can check out.

Well, this is just about as much fun as I can imagine having while sitting at a keyboard. I'm going to get started on my mail art - after I remove my bra. Ah-h-h-h-h, that's much, much better. :o)

What a blessing you all are to me. Thanks for the laughs.

In His hands,
Lynda

Pray in faith and you will not live in doubt.
Go to Top of Page

therusticcottage
True Blue Farmgirl

4439 Posts

Kay
Vancouver WA
USA
4439 Posts

Posted - Jul 22 2005 :  11:32:55 PM  Show Profile
Lynda - you are an absolute hoot!! If I was anywhere in the Midwest with the heat you guys are going to experience this weekend I might even consider "streaking" to the store!! I'd probably have to get out the duck tape to hold everything in place while I was running!

Go to Top of Page

MeadowLark
True Blue Farmgirl

2206 Posts

USA
2206 Posts

Posted - Jul 23 2005 :  07:39:31 AM  Show Profile
This is a funny thread...I got my chuckle for the day Kay and Lynda...It seems with every pregnancy my boobs got bigger... After I went on the pill I jumped to a C cup, first baby to a D, now I am 36DD. I hate bras, especially in summer and this murderous heat...Duck tape would be hotter and not allow for sweat evaporation. What's a girl to do? Go weed the corn patch topless and pray a plane or helicopter does not fly over!!!!

Go to Top of Page

therusticcottage
True Blue Farmgirl

4439 Posts

Kay
Vancouver WA
USA
4439 Posts

Posted - Jul 23 2005 :  09:01:20 AM  Show Profile
Hey Jenny -- I've done that!! When I was much younger, and living in IL, I walked the bean fields to cut corn out of beans. It was so hot so my friend and I just took our shirts off. However we had our bras on. But back then I didn't have much so it wouldn't have made much difference anyway.

"You gain strength, courage, and confidence by every experience in which you really stop to look fear in the face."
--Eleanor Roosevelt
Go to Top of Page

egyppt
Farmgirl at Heart

4 Posts

Elaine
Vermilion Alberta
Canada
4 Posts

Posted - Jul 23 2005 :  09:33:31 AM  Show Profile
You gals are a riot! So glad someone brought up the undie thing. I wear cotton as well,not granny panties but those cute little high-cut numbers. Jockey also is making a covered elastic brief in great colors. The yogurt idea for the rash is great,but if it is a recurring problem,why not try some acidophilus capsules ( a good full-spectrum one) from your local health food store. (way more friendly bacteria than yogurt) One a day keeps the itch away!( I own a health food store and sell tons of this to the gals in my neighborhood.)

Farmin'in the Great White North"
Go to Top of Page

MeadowLark
True Blue Farmgirl

2206 Posts

USA
2206 Posts

Posted - Jul 23 2005 :  10:21:22 AM  Show Profile
All this undie talk dredged up a long lost memory! Back in the days of no central air in the early 60's my grandma would wear homemade house coats and be braless, or on particularly sweltering days a nice homemde slip out of light cotton or batiste fabric. She was an excellent seamstress and would embellish her lovely slips with embroidery and lace. I loved them as a little girl so she sewed me several little "house slips" I wore around the house in summer and to bed. I only have one left, it is threadbare and has little embroidered flowers on the neckline. Grandma always wore her hose scrunched down on her ankles though and those granny black leather shoes. She always looked so nice in her slips and house coats.

Go to Top of Page

cecelia
True Blue Farmgirl

497 Posts

cecelia
new york
USA
497 Posts

Posted - Jul 28 2005 :  1:20:24 PM  Show Profile
This is too funny, but "real" also. All my life I was skinny (lets call it thin); when Twiggy came along I thought I had it made, then I found out she was also a lot taller than me. As the years have gone by I have put on a few pounds which are, after six months of trying to change what I eat, finally coming off - I have lost 4 lbs. in the last 4 weeks. Slow but sure. I have cut out white foods, red meat. etc. basically processed foods. Anyway, I finally get boobs and now I'm afraid I will lose them if I lose the few more pounds I need to lose. And I DONT CARE because I know my health is more important than boobs! Now to work on the tummy which has come with menopause! Hopefully that will go with the pounds. What kind of unmentionables do you gals wear when you have a tummy? I want so much to go back to plain cotton, but I need some help in the "support" category until I lose some more weight.

Cecelia

ce's farm

"Curiosity is one of the forms of feminine bravery" Victor Hugo
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Here's to Your Health: Previous Topic The Unmentionables.... Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page