Page: of 2

Clare
True Blue Farmgirl

2173 Posts

NC WA State
USA
2173 Posts

Posted - Jun 02 2005 :  1:24:37 PM  Show Profile
Just wondering, if it's not too personal, if y'all will share what kind of undies you prefer. I've always worn cotton undies, but I'm having some recent concerns, and am wonderng if organic cotton undies may help. Anyone use those? (I seem to be developing a panty line rash of sorts. - it's not a STD.) I'm also using 7th Generation toilet paper and really like it. Not much paper "residue" - some have alot of paper chafe, I'd guess you'd call it. I don't think it's my detergent, because no other problems. Anywho, before I approach a doctor about it... thought I'd check in. So, girlfriends, "can we talk?"

****Gardener, Stitcher, Spiritual Explorer and Appreciator of all Things Natural****

"Begin to weave and God will give the thread." - German Proverb

Edited by - Clare on Jun 02 2005 1:30:42 PM

bramble
True Blue Farmgirl

2044 Posts

2044 Posts

Posted - Jun 02 2005 :  1:57:41 PM  Show Profile
Clare! I declare! When I was pregnant I had this problem but it was wherever elastic came into contact with my skin. Try cotton covered leg openings and waistbands if you can find them. There was a company in N. or S. Carolina that had great cotton stuff, Travis Place Briefs. It's happened to me a couple of times since when not pregnant (I'm assuming you ARE NOT!) The other thing that helped was plain old zinc oxide like for diaper rash...weird huh?!! Garnet Hill used to have some great stuff unbleached natural cotton, etc but they have gotten too pricey for me. After all, it's underwear! I hope that helps, I thought something was quite odd when it happened to me but it was alittle harder to solve for the top since going without was definitely not an option!

with a happy heart
Go to Top of Page

MeadowLark
True Blue Farmgirl

2206 Posts

USA
2206 Posts

Posted - Jun 02 2005 :  2:13:02 PM  Show Profile
Clare...From one farmgirl to another I have always been one to be on the practical side, I am sure you are too. I wear the "granny" panties. I admit it... 100% cotton briefs a few sizes too big for extra comfort and no chafing from the elastic. Have you looked at Vermont Country Stores undies? They are to die for granny underwear!!!! Don't laugh but they are super soft, comfortable and wear like "iron" My days of cute little bikini numbers are long past, give me those grannys any day. Have you changed soaps lately? Sounds like an allergy to elastic?

"Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing, there is a field. I'll meet you there." Rumi, 13th century.
Go to Top of Page

MeadowLark
True Blue Farmgirl

2206 Posts

USA
2206 Posts

Posted - Jun 02 2005 :  2:26:20 PM  Show Profile
www.vermontcountrystore.com

They have cotton covered elastic leg opening undies.

"Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing, there is a field. I'll meet you there." Rumi, 13th century.
Go to Top of Page

Clare
True Blue Farmgirl

2173 Posts

NC WA State
USA
2173 Posts

Posted - Jun 02 2005 :  2:39:02 PM  Show Profile
Thanks girls, that may just be it. I have stopped wearing bras, ...because I was getting one spot on my back that was bothersome. It has since quieted down, but not totally gone away. I shall pick up some zinc oxide on my way home and give that a go... and try the undies that you recommend. Interesting that my waist hasn't been bothered yet... (knock on wood!).... but at this point I'm ready to forgo anything binding on my body... think LIBERATION big time! haha... luckily the bra issue isn't hard, if I wear a lighter blouse/shirt, I just throw a long scarf around my neck and that acts as camaflouge, as I don't want everyone staring at my nipples! Not that liberated, I guess!

****Gardener, Stitcher, Spiritual Explorer and Appreciator of all Things Natural****

Go to Top of Page

Kim
True Blue Farmgirl

146 Posts

Kim
Pflugerville Texas
USA
146 Posts

Posted - Jun 02 2005 :  3:16:01 PM  Show Profile
Glad you brought this up! I take my bra of the minute I get home. Have you tried sleeping "commando" as a friend used to say? My mother always told me it wasn't healthy to sleep with undies on. I always have problems around my cycle. I seem to get yeast infections at the end and wonder if it is because of the brand of pads and/or tampons I use. (or too much sugar from PMS!!!)

farmgirl@heart

Be at peace with yourself and the rest will follow
Go to Top of Page

Erin Raincrow
True Blue Farmgirl

65 Posts

Julie Erin
New Mexico
65 Posts

Posted - Jun 02 2005 :  5:15:02 PM  Show Profile
I was going to make the same suggestion about going Commando as much as you can and see if that helps. Know that is it different at first but you'll get used to it and the air "circulating" will help too.

Sure wish that I could go without a bra, I can at home but in public I don't dare Keep telling Dh that one of these day's I'm getting a "job" and they're not going to be bigger but much much much smaller.

But once in while the odd thing happens,
Once in a while the dream comes true,
And the whole pattern of life is altered,
Once in a while the moon turns blue.
Auden
Go to Top of Page

bramble
True Blue Farmgirl

2044 Posts

2044 Posts

Posted - Jun 02 2005 :  6:03:37 PM  Show Profile
Kim-- Try eating more yogurt around that time and you might see a difference. I swim all the time and that has helped keep the infections to a minimum( just make sure the yogurt has LIVE active cultures). Sometimes it's just a matter of adjusting your diet and you can avoid the antibiotics!Atleast it works for me!

with a happy heart
Go to Top of Page

catscharm74
True Blue Farmgirl

4687 Posts

Heather
Texas
USA
4687 Posts

Posted - Jun 02 2005 :  6:42:34 PM  Show Profile  Send catscharm74 a Yahoo! Message
I second or third or fourth the cotton undies. I wear men's boxer briefs at home..they are comfy and I just sew up the front and wear a t-shirt around the house. They let me breathe without sitting completely naked. Watch out if you was your undies with Bleach. Good old hot water and detergent is good enough for me. I break out from the bleach even if it is just a little.
Go to Top of Page

MeadowLark
True Blue Farmgirl

2206 Posts

USA
2206 Posts

Posted - Jun 02 2005 :  6:51:50 PM  Show Profile
Last weekend I shed my bra to weed and till my garden and it felt wonderful and liberating. I can't go braless in public either. The ironic thing is I am harping at my 12 year old she needs to start wearing a bra and she is resisting just like I did at her age. I am not setting an example for her seeing mom flapping in the wind hoeing weeds in the garden.

Go to Top of Page

countrykat
True Blue Farmgirl

85 Posts

kathy
paola kansas
USA
85 Posts

Posted - Jun 02 2005 :  9:12:46 PM  Show Profile
Laughing and crying as I read this topic. Funny! And refreshing to read, I've been out of touch with my girlfriends since I don't work anymore and they all do they've been sort of dodging me so this was a great coffee clatch sort of morning read, even though I read it at night (I don't sleep much)

I'm a cotton undie kinda gal, although not the Granny style, I prefer the briefs. I can't have any decorations that are lacy on top or bottom as I break out in a rash, I wear mostly sports bras (when I wear one) as I am still nursing and they are more comfortable. I do not sleep commando, although, my husband does. I prefer to sleep in a t-shirt and undies.

I also eat yogurt with active cultures. It does the trick for me, plus I just like yogurt.
Go to Top of Page

sleepless reader
True Blue Farmgirl

1022 Posts

CA
USA
1022 Posts

Posted - Jun 03 2005 :  12:09:09 AM  Show Profile
Another vote for cotton panties! I wear high-cut briefs mostly, but also have some knee-length cotton knit from Vermont Country Store. Sometimes I wear those in the winter for a bit more warmth, but usually in the summer under skirts to keep my thighs from getting sticky when it's hot.
Clare, you say you don't think it's a detergent problem, but how about body soap? Any changes there? Also remember that the detergents seem to always be reformulating for whatever reason. Could be a new version of the same old stuff?
good luck!
Sharon
Go to Top of Page

bramble
True Blue Farmgirl

2044 Posts

2044 Posts

Posted - Jun 03 2005 :  04:25:50 AM  Show Profile
Curiosity got the better of me and I looked up Travis Place and found the they closed in 1993 (the year I was pregnant). Too bad because they had a great catalog with real people as the models and some very funny descriptions of their products. Any way, they have morphed into something called Back to Basics Softwear (www.backtob.com)and they will probably have whatever all us cotton granny panty wearing farmers are looking for! The $ are still very reasonable .

with a happy heart
Go to Top of Page

countrykat
True Blue Farmgirl

85 Posts

kathy
paola kansas
USA
85 Posts

Posted - Jun 03 2005 :  11:15:34 PM  Show Profile
Thanks for the website link Bramble. I have a Vanity Fair outlet nearby and do most of my shopping there but I noticed this website has a clearance section and found some interesting items in there, especially the tank tops. Thanks again!
Go to Top of Page

westernhorse51
True Blue Farmgirl

1681 Posts

michele
farmingdale n.j.
USA
1681 Posts

Posted - Jun 04 2005 :  3:06:47 PM  Show Profile
Clare, vermont country store has the answer. I agree w/ the bra thing, I hate them and dont wear them if I dont have too. cotton is best. michele

"she selects wool and flax and works with eager hands". Prov. 31:13
Go to Top of Page

lonestargal
True Blue Farmgirl

607 Posts

Kristi
Texas
607 Posts

Posted - Jun 08 2005 :  09:19:58 AM  Show Profile
You guys are cracking me up reading this topic!! I have to agree on the cotton panties. They are THE BEST!!! My husband is always saying I wear granny panties (and I'm 28) but I don't care. They are comfy and I don't know now who said it but yes buy them a little big. Way more comfortable that way. No lace or fancy undergarments here. I'm lucky if I even get a bra on half the time.
Go to Top of Page

Eileen
True Blue Farmgirl

1199 Posts

Eileen

USA
1199 Posts

Posted - Jun 08 2005 :  09:32:07 AM  Show Profile
Well I am a cotton undie girl too and they must have cotton covering the elastic. I think that in those warm creases we all have that we become more sensitive to the latex in the elastic. I too love mens undies. For a long time I was able to get a no fly mens bakini cotton undie at costco and i loved them. They had more layers in the crotch and also were wider in the crotch. They fir so nice never any creaping up the crack stuff. Can't find them any more. I quit wearing a bra about 10 years ago and have not looked back. Just wear a cotton exercise bra on occasion if going out in public on a hot day with semi see through garments on.
Eileen

songbird; singing joy to the earth
Go to Top of Page

cecelia
True Blue Farmgirl

497 Posts

cecelia
new york
USA
497 Posts

Posted - Jun 08 2005 :  6:13:16 PM  Show Profile
Some time ago we had a topic going on about bras. We all got a bit goofy but we all learned something from each other - mostly, if I remember, that nearly no one likes to wear a bra! I hate them and do without as much as possible - more comfortable.

Cecelia

ce's farm

"Curiosity is one of the forms of feminine bravery" Victor Hugo
Go to Top of Page

sqrl
True Blue Farmgirl

605 Posts

Melissa
Northern California
USA
605 Posts

Posted - Jun 16 2005 :  12:47:26 PM  Show Profile
I do agree that the elastic could be giving yo a problem. Also look at your diet has it change recently? Have you been eating something new. That area is very sensitive, especially to diet. When I eat a lot a dairy I get itchy in that area. Which sucks 'cause I love dairy. I could also be sweat. moisture and the elastic and a little fricion from moving around could cause a rash. It also sounds like you just have sensitive skin, my Mother in law has problems with her bra and she had very sensitive skin. Zinc cream is awesome for skin problems and so is sulfure cream, sometimes they come mixed together. Blessed BE

www.sqrlbee.com
Go to Top of Page

MeadowLark
True Blue Farmgirl

2206 Posts

USA
2206 Posts

Posted - Jun 23 2005 :  12:14:34 PM  Show Profile
I have not done any air travel lately ( hate to fly) but may soon. I read where women's underwire bras can set off metal detectors if the wire is metal. Most often times the wires are metal. I wear underwires and was wondering... Have any girls had this happen, or have heard it happening? I would hate to have "bra" search.

"Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing, there is a field. I'll meet you there." Rumi, 13th century. http://www.xs4all.nl/~josvg/cits/sb/sb101.html
Go to Top of Page

Clare
True Blue Farmgirl

2173 Posts

NC WA State
USA
2173 Posts

Posted - Jun 23 2005 :  12:49:58 PM  Show Profile
Oh, my, YES!!!!! The first time it happened to me I was quite shocked! You will get taken aside and a woman screener will hand pat you down... while you are spread eagle. Mine was very respectful, however, and explained what she was going to do before she did it. My suggestion, leave the bra in the suitcase for the day... (I'm braless now so don't have to worry anymore!) Where are you headed? Someplace fun I hope!

Go to Top of Page

MeadowLark
True Blue Farmgirl

2206 Posts

USA
2206 Posts

Posted - Jun 23 2005 :  2:10:24 PM  Show Profile
Thanks for the forewarning Clare. Guess I will be a saggy Aggie that day, and stash the boulder holder in my suitcase. Not sure exactly where I am heading. DH said in passing to get my passport updated, and no more details. It's been 17 years since I have needed a passport. I hate those passport photos. I always look like I belong on a Most Wanted somewhere in a post office.

"Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing, there is a field. I'll meet you there." Rumi, 13th century. http://www.xs4all.nl/~josvg/cits/sb/sb101.html
Go to Top of Page

Eileen
True Blue Farmgirl

1199 Posts

Eileen

USA
1199 Posts

Posted - Jun 23 2005 :  3:10:01 PM  Show Profile
I was patted down at the airport last summer too. My knee set of the detector but because I am a woman they also did a bra pat just to be sure I was not carying some contraband and using my knee as a cloak. It was done respectfully but really got me that the bra thing had to be done even after they saw my knees. I guess better safe than sorry but wonder when I hear the things that do get through the dectectors!
As for saggy aggie I heard them referred to as beautiful hanging baskets the other day and thought that was a nice way to put it!
Eileen

songbird; singing joy to the earth
Go to Top of Page

Kim
True Blue Farmgirl

146 Posts

Kim
Pflugerville Texas
USA
146 Posts

Posted - Jun 24 2005 :  4:05:08 PM  Show Profile
I wear underwires and travel a lot. Never set off a metal detector!

farmgirl@heart

Be at peace with yourself and the rest will follow
Go to Top of Page

greyghost
True Blue Farmgirl

650 Posts

Lynn
Summerville Georgia
USA
650 Posts

Posted - Jun 26 2005 :  09:28:44 AM  Show Profile  Click to see greyghost's MSN Messenger address
Great topic!

Can't really help with the undie issue but I have also has problems after my cycle with yeast infections - I should have thought about yogurt! I'll have to try it :)

I hate bras... I'm lucky I *can* go without (the test, a fashion-conscious friend recently told me, is to see if you can hold a pencil - if you can't, it's still acceptable to go without), but at 28, it's no longer acceptable (to me) out in public unless I'm wearing a sweater. I've found those bra-top camis to be pretty comfortable, some of them don't have elastic or anything, just an extra layer.
Go to Top of Page

MeadowLark
True Blue Farmgirl

2206 Posts

USA
2206 Posts

Posted - Jun 26 2005 :  3:31:22 PM  Show Profile
I have heard that fashion rule too greyghost...Lets see...the last time the old pencil dropped on the floor for me Richard Nixon was in office...But I still went braless up to Jimmy Carter, gave it up goin in public with Ronald Reagan.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Here's to Your Health: Previous Topic The Unmentionables.... Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page