New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Across the Fence: Previous Topic Morning Grumps Next Topic  

country lawyer
True Blue Farmgirl

1022 Posts

1022 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2007 :  07:02:14 AM  Show Profile
Some people are very pleasant during the rest of the day, but are just plain grumpy in the mornings. Do you know what I mean? I used to work with a gal who we just knew to avoid until 11 am or so. Why would someone be in a bad mood at certain times of the day and in a good mood in others? I don't get this. I understand when something happens to make somebody grumpy, but that's not what I'm talking about. I'm talking about a consistent morning bad mood. Do you have any ideas about this? Do you think is just a habit? Or, a choice? Or, what? What about you, is the mood (good or bad) you wake up in consistent day to day? How about the folks you live with? Just wondering...

"The secret of life is enjoying the passage of time."
James Taylor

www.ragstoroses.blogspot.com

Horseyrider
True Blue Farmgirl

1045 Posts

Mary Ann
Illinois
1045 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2007 :  07:20:25 AM  Show Profile
In a word, biorhythms.

I used to be grumpy in the mornings. Wanted to stay up late and sleep late. Then I had kids and all that changed. After that I got horses and it changed even more. Now this former night person is a morning person. I get up at five in the morning, 365 days a year. If I don't I feel like I'm missing something.

I wonder if your coworker was a night person with an alarm clock.
Go to Top of Page

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2007 :  07:27:10 AM  Show Profile
I used to work with a gal like that! She had a LOT of problems in her life, and even when she didn't, she created "mystery" problems. Some folks just can't get happy, and that was her choice. Whether she liked misery or not, I think it was all she knew, frankly. My favorite story about her...she had been in an abusive marriage for years--they divorced, remarried, divorced, lived together and then he up and died while they were in a fight. She was single mom for a long time, met the man of her dreams, but he wasn't ready to remarry after a painful divorce. She pushed and pushed him and said things to me like ("if we would just get married, I'll be happy forever") so he finally said one day, "take the rest of the day off, let's get married", so I rushed out to get her a bouquet, and a bottle of champagne, and when she got to work the next morning, I sortof expected it to be like a Disney show with the birds whistling, and soft colors, rainbows and pretty songs, something!!! What I got was "I'm the stupidest person alive. I made the biggest mistake getting married..., I'm going to apply for an annulment on my lunch hour."

Personally, I'm not a morning person--I'm not mean, just not talkative. Been that way since I was a little one. I sleep like the dead, and it's heck waking me up. Sometimes I'm still not awake, even when I'm at work!

The grumps can affect me for sure (especially today, our receptionist is really trying my patience!) but I'm really good about staying away from people.

My husband and I have a rule. No email responses, or telephone calls until you've had 2 cups of coffee! It sort of takes the edge off!

Just think of all of the roads there are...all of the things I haven't seen....yet.
Go to Top of Page

bramble
True Blue Farmgirl

2044 Posts

2044 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2007 :  07:50:10 AM  Show Profile
My husband is an early riser and I am not. Don't bug me, wake me or make loud stupid (ie thoughtless...) noises or you will be dead meat!
However, if my husband doesn't drink his coffee in the morning he is a very discontented person the entire day! I prefer the non caffeinated approach...it only involves being quiet and letting me wake up on my own!And then I am downright peachy!
Your co-worker might also suffer from fibromyalgia or sleep apnea, I know the combination of the two nearly killed me ( and God Bless my poor family for putting up with me!) Although there are some people who just never do what they know is best for themselves and constantly pay the consequences without seeming to know why.

with a happy heart
Go to Top of Page

lilpunkin
True Blue Farmgirl

368 Posts

Texas
USA
368 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2007 :  08:18:37 AM  Show Profile
Like Bramble, my husband is the mornning person and I am the night person. I get all my best stuff done at night. In the mornings I really just want to wake up on my own. I hate to be woken up! I just want to get up in a relaxed fashion, I dont want to get up and hurry and be rushed about with things. I will be fine if I can be left alone for a bit. But if I am rushed and asked a million questions, etc. then I am not real happy about it. But once I have woken up completely I am totally fine. I just need a little time and space.

Life isn't measured by how many breaths you take, but by how many moments take your breath away.
Go to Top of Page

faithymom
True Blue Farmgirl

360 Posts

Faith
Sandpoint ID
USA
360 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2007 :  10:13:50 AM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by KYgurlsrbest

Personally, I'm not a morning person--I'm not mean, just not talkative. Been that way since I was a little one. I sleep like the dead, and it's heck waking me up. Sometimes I'm still not awake, even when I'm at work!

My husband and I have a rule. No email responses, or telephone calls until you've had 2 cups of coffee! It sort of takes the edge off!

ME TOO!!!
Of course, my husband doesn't always follow the rules and he'll say something rude to me BC (before Coffee) and then get mad because I snap at him! (and then DENY that he said anything rude!!!!!!!!)
I don't do it on purpose...it's kinda like when your PMS is kicking in and you get irritated at things that usually wouldn't bother you so much...but during that time, they make you flip out...
That's the closest thing I can use to describe it.
My brain takes a while to wake up and like KYgurl said, I've been that way for as long as I can remember and my brother's the same way. My best friend says that I need an hour of staring at the wall (coffee in hand) before I'm ready to do anything...

Do any of you have different times of day that you get the grumps?

Have a Lovely!
Faith

BTW: You chipper morning people drive me bonkers! LOL
I'm only a tiny bit serious...my mom used to wake me up for school by
SINGING!!!!! GGGRRRR!!!!

"All television is educational television. The only question is, what is it teaching?"-Fmr. FCC Commissioner Nicholas Johnson
Go to Top of Page

lamarguerite farm
True Blue Farmgirl

649 Posts

missy
Battle Ground Wa
USA
649 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2007 :  10:59:48 AM  Show Profile
I'm the same way too. It takes a bit for my brain to catch up with my body in the morning and I always give myself @ 30min to just lay in bed and get my self adjusted to "being awake". I don't like to have a lot of converstions or loud noises. If my morning is chaotic right off, it just seems to effect me the rest of the day. My husband is the opposite as well. His alarm goes off and he's up instantly. He always left for work before I had to get up, so I have to pretend to be asleep otherwise he's asking me questions and wanting to have long drawn out conversations with me before my eyes are barely even open. The questions are usually something that require more thought than what I'm able to muster up at that time! haha

Blessings,

Missy

If you have a dream, even if you don't feel qualified to accomplish it, just try your hardest.-Maggie Jensen
http://18happyhens.blogspot.com
http://LamargueriteFarm.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

westernhorse51
True Blue Farmgirl

1681 Posts

michele
farmingdale n.j.
USA
1681 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2007 :  11:04:59 AM  Show Profile
I am a morning person. My daughter thinks Im nuts. I get so much done before the sun even rises. Love the mornings!

she selects wool and flax and works with eager hands Prov.31:13
Go to Top of Page

lilpunkin
True Blue Farmgirl

368 Posts

Texas
USA
368 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2007 :  11:32:42 AM  Show Profile
UGH! I would have to agree that morning people drive me nutso! Ok just the ones in my house cuz they live with me! LOL!
Missy I had to laugh at you when you said you sometimes pretend to be asleep, I do the same thing sometimes! That is so funny.
I get so much more done in the later half of the day, and especially at night when I am the most lively! I do have to admit though, I drive my morning person husband nuts at night. Just like he drives me nuts in the morning! SO I guess we are even.
lilpunkin

Life isn't measured by how many breaths you take, but by how many moments take your breath away.
Go to Top of Page

sweetproserpina
True Blue Farmgirl

535 Posts

meg
Vinemount Ontario
Canada
535 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2007 :  11:50:17 AM  Show Profile
I wouldn't say I'm a grump in the morning, but I'm more 'out of it' in the morning while I'm still waking up. I do less active stuff in the AM- computer time, watch the news, bills etc. In the afternoon I'm much more likely to be out and about or cleaning/baking/sewing. Why? With me I think it has to do with my sugars/energy, I'm a very skinny girl(genetic) and over night is a long time to go without food. I need to replenish that energy before I can get moving..

I'm not a night owl exactly, but I often stay up til the wee hours reading. It's so peaceful and quiet then, it's a great time to get lost in a book.

I admire morning poeple - I wish I could be so productive at such an early hour!

"Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world."
http://theprimroseway.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Tina Michelle
True Blue Farmgirl

6948 Posts

Tina
sunshine state FL
USA
6948 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2007 :  3:04:15 PM  Show Profile
could also be a dietary problem.

~Seize the Day! Live, Love, Laugh~
Go to Top of Page

lilpunkin
True Blue Farmgirl

368 Posts

Texas
USA
368 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2007 :  7:37:56 PM  Show Profile
Right now it is about 8:30PM and I am ready to go. Thinking of all things I can do when my kiddos fall asleep. Like maybe I will work on my valentine's cards. But tomorrow at 8:30AM I wont be thinking that way. LOL! I am not necessarily a grump either (unless...).
I just want to be quiet and not have to talk or anything. I think people's sleep cycles are just like personalities, everyone's different. One is not better than the other and there is nothing wrong with someone not being a social bird in the morning or vice versa. It's funny because I have 2 boys and one is just like my husband. From the time he was born til now, he has gone to bed early and wakes up early. My oldest son is like me, he likes to stay up late.
Lilpunkin

Go to Top of Page

Past Blessings
True Blue Farmgirl

1083 Posts

Brenda
Orchard Prairie WA
USA
1083 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2007 :  8:07:45 PM  Show Profile
While it takes me a while to totally feel awake, I have never felt grumpy in the mornings. To me the mornings are the start of a new day . . . meaning they are fresh and full of promise. I suppose there may be a chemical imbalance for some, but for the most part grumpiness or not being grumpy is a choice. Some people seem to enjoy wallowing in their choice of grumpiness and purposely bring everyone else around them down. I find this very selfish and frustrating. Not to sound harsh, but I do think our outlook on life is a choice. For the most part I choose to be a positive encouraging person which makes my life so much more peaceful. On the days I make wrong choices in my attitudes and actions I lose that peace, so I am learning more and more not to make those poor choices. It just isn't worth it. I love the serenity of wallowing in peace not grumpiness. Blessings to y'all!

Brenda

Past Blessings . . . Celebrating Life as it used to be . . . when people loved God, loved their families and loved their country.
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2007 :  8:37:38 PM  Show Profile
Missy's post could be me speaking!!! My husband leaves just before I get up (6:30...ugh) with the kids. I am very very quiet in the morning. The kids and I are used to it. If there is a day when he is off work and the kids still have school he is just so loud and boisterous it makes me crazy. I set myself up for morning the night before and I am usually okay by 8am..good, cuz I can be awake and all at work...he wakes up noisy. I don't think I am grumpy though. I hope.
I have been guilty of pretending I am asleep until he leaves too.

Jenny in Utah
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Phils Ann
True Blue Farmgirl

1095 Posts

Ann
Parsonsburg Maryland
USA
1095 Posts

Posted - Jan 18 2007 :  08:03:35 AM  Show Profile
Quietly cheerful in the morning is really really good.

Ann

There is a Redeemer.
Go to Top of Page

brightmeadow
True Blue Farmgirl

2045 Posts

Brenda
Lucas Ohio
USA
2045 Posts

Posted - Jan 18 2007 :  7:39:50 PM  Show Profile
I have to admit I hate getting up and going to work in the mornings, and I'm not really myself until I've had at least two cups of coffee. I don't leave for work until I get at least one in, or I could very easily take someone's head off! The worst thing in the world is when I walk in the door and several people immediately tell me about their problems and I don't even have my coat off yet. I most productive in the late afternoon - getting more done between 2:00 and 5:00 than others get done all day! Maybe it's because all those other people and their problems have gone home by then...

The weirdest thing is, when I am on vacation, I have no problem whatsoever getting up at 5:00 am so I don't miss anything... So biorythms probably don't explain all of my crabbiness!

You shall eat the fruit of the labor of your hands - You shall be happy and it shall be well with you. -Psalm 128.2
Visit my blog at http://brightmeadowfarms.blogspot.com ,web site store at http://www.watkinsonline.com/fish or my homepage at http://home.earthlink.net/~brightmeadow
Go to Top of Page

Annab
True Blue Farmgirl

2900 Posts

Anna
Seagrove NC
USA
2900 Posts

Posted - Jan 20 2007 :  03:50:34 AM  Show Profile
I'm pretty much a morning person. Usualy I go into work an hour early. This is the "me" time when I can diddle on the computer with nothing else going on. I'm pretty amenable most days but tend to get testy in the evenings. My mom was the same way especially while trying to get dinner in order. Sometimes it seems things just don't happen quick enough.

I work with someone who gets more PMS worse than us gals! This person is depressed and unhappy but wallows in it and does nothing to change the situation. After being off for 4 days he still comes in and avoids everyone. It's a real puzzler. I know depression is clinical, so why doesn't he take sick time to get his head right???

Go to Top of Page

Lucy
Farmgirl in Training

26 Posts

Lucy
Des Moines Iowa
USA
26 Posts

Posted - Jan 28 2007 :  01:47:04 AM  Show Profile
Wow! I thought I was going to go to bed, then ran across THIS! I believe there are a few things that goes into the making of/and can effect the "grump". Let's start with the worse one first.
1) Programming since your infancy: you must have your coffee first; "Don't bother me, I just woke up!"; It's "that time of the month"; etc. Ever notice how a child mimics you? In everything? We wonder why the lambs go astray. It's because they are following the sheep, you know. And it goes on into adult hood. It's pretty hard to stop in adulthood what you had drilled into you and presented before you for 18 to 20 years, good or bad either one.

2) Here's a BIG WHOA!!: could be genetic! Yup! We can see it back 5 generations on my husband's side of the familyj, and occasionally rears its ugly head on my side. The big bugaboo is depression, which can set in because of many factors. The way you were raised, things that happened to you, etc. Genetics could involve more yet, which I will bring up in the next paragraphs.

3) The medical world is now looking more closely at what appears to be a fact in so many people, is that not everyone has a 24 hour cycle like the sun, but perhaps 24 1/2, 25, 26 1/2 hours, which basically makes a lot of people being up and pushing it to get through the day when their body is screaming, "It's my night time, put me to bed"! Many of these folks also end up being perceived as "night" people. Mostly, my husband never is awake until noon, whether he's up or not. Our 29 year old grandson failed to make high enough grades in college this last semester, so he can't reapply for one year, because he couldn't "wake up" enough. He has kept a sleep scale for more than one year, it slips sideways down the page all the time! Never 24 regular! Suffers from depression, too, very badly. These people do not need our attitude of "all they need is to get off their butt and get going!"! Many of them need professional help, at least someone who understands. Meds sometimes helps. Some of them make it by sheer grit and willpower, but it is a struggle every day, often kept from and not detected by others around them.

4) Sleep apnea. It's real. When our grandson was finally tested for it, his breathing occluded 160 some times PER HOUR! That means that more than two times every minute his breathing was shut down (that's what apnea does - when you relax the throat closes up - this is a basic definition, you understand, not a doctor talking) and when that happens, you are in a dying mode, just like if you squeezed your throat until there was no air. When this happens gases build up in your system that trigger your brain: "Hey! Dummy! You're dieing!!! BREATH!!" Then they start breathing again. Usually, but not always, these people are heavy snorers. You will hear them snore very loud and fast when their brain has triggered them to start breathing again, and many times in less than a minute, it gradually gets lighter and lighter 'til they are not breathing at all it seems, and then it starts all over again. These people often times never get down into REM (rapid eye movement, or deep) sleep, and can you imagine never getting any real good sleep at all, starting to "die" hundreds of times a night, and then try to get up and get going with a bounce in their step and a lilt in their voice? No way. Not even with a hundred cups of coffee! My husband does not even snore with his sleep apnea. I can time him many times at night, every 17 seconds, he "comes" and "goes", very quiety. Some people are bad enough with this that they die. If you are or know of a heavy snorer, it's a must to seek professional help. That is if you want any semblance of a "normal" life! Our grandson sleeps with a pressure mask at night, forces air into him so that his throat stays open.

5) There are four other common, often undetected, sources of being just constantly dragged down and out, and not really caring whether school keeps or not. One is being low on something vital, like potassium, or some other key thing in your system. One is diebetes. Another is low thyroid. The other is candida, I believe is the way you spell it. Candida is a condition caused by a certain yeast in your system. I'm not a doc and really don't know how to describe it except in real laymen's terms. It turns any sugars and starches you consume into a type of alcohol. One of my sisters was alcoholic, and she would swear up and down she hadn't been drinking when you could even smell it on her! She insisted there was somthing wrong. Finally, she and her hubby went to a very good, very expensive place, for "the cure". Even there they accused her of having a bottle stashed someplace. She got real mad and made them test her one morning when they knew there was nothing around for her to "drink" all night. They tested her. Clean. In front of them, she ate some bread. Within a short time she tested positive for alchol consumption! Woke them "professionals" up real fast, and then they got more professional yet about dealing with alcoholics. They helped her get rid of her yeast infection. She made it the rest of her life without another drink! So did her hubby! By the way, they say that kefir can help a lot with that yeast infection, too.

Enough. This has been long, but these things are very close to my heart, and I am happy to share them with anyone who can benefit from them. By all means, don't go "treating" yourself on any of these items without consulting a doctor. If all he wants to do is pooh pooh you and hand out pills and not listen at all, find one who will listen. Might save your life or the life a loved one or other friend. Why do I think I know "so much" for not being a medical professional? Well, I've experienced a lot of the alcohol problems in my own blood line, and the apnea and depression are big time in my wonderful husband's blood line. Then, in addition, though not a doc, I have put in about 25 years working in the medical field.

So for those grumpy co workers and life partners, remember, they could be fighting a bigger battle than you could ever know, and maybe THEY don't even know!, or it could be from their "programmed" upbringing. Just thank God if you are one that escaped those monsters, one way or another.

"Nuff. This is Lucy, signing out. You all have a good Sunday.

May the good Lord take a likin' to ya!
Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic Morning Grumps Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page