texdane
Farmgirl Legend Chapter Leader Chapter Guru

4658 Posts

Nicole
Sandy Hook CT
USA
4658 Posts

Posted - Jan 05 2017 :  09:15:20 AM  Show Profile
Have you ever noticed how much fun it is to deck the halls but what a CHORE it is to take it all down? We deck every room inside and out, but it seems to take double time to pack it all away. I keep putting stuff away but it is like a black hole...there is more and more and it seems like it is never ending!

Am I the only one who feels this way? I want to get the tree out and gone before the big snow so I don't have a repeat of the year my hubby put it on the porch for after a blizzard, where it froze and stayed there until Easter.

I hope I can get it done before the weekend is up and give the house a good cleaning. Then there's Valentine's to decorate for....

Anyway else feel like it takes double time to put it away then put it out? How long do you leave your decor up? I feel like I am really late...

Farmgirl Hugs,
Nicole

Farmgirl Sister #1155
KNITTER, JAM-MAKER AND MOM EXTRAORDINAIRE
Chapter Leader, Connecticut Simpler Life Sisters
Farmgirl of the Month, January 2013

Suburban Farmgirl Blogger
http://sfgblog.maryjanesfarm.org/

www.facebook.com/suburbanfarmgirlblogger

Bridge
True Blue Farmgirl

814 Posts

Bridgette
Southern Indiana
USA
814 Posts

Posted - Jan 05 2017 :  12:31:50 PM  Show Profile
I feel the same! I am just re-cooping from a terrible cold. I have been collecting decorations and putting them under the tree. I hope to get it all put away this weekend.
I am trying to tell my self it will give me a new clean and serene look, but I miss the glittering lights :(
We had our first snow today and I love snow, it always makes me nesty, I want to clean and organize.
I might actually take all the ornaments off the tree tonight after I get the soup on. Then I can get the tree down Friday evening and that will leave me more time to stitch on Sat.
I need to get some valentine decorations, I don't think I have any, or I could make some :)
Go to Top of Page

MaryJanesNiece
True Blue Farmgirl

6951 Posts

Krista
Utah
USA
6951 Posts

Posted - Jan 05 2017 :  1:10:35 PM  Show Profile
Same here! It feels like I can get all my decorations up in a matter of no time but takes forever, even days, to get them down. It actually feels like a chore and I dread it! And then I always forget how I managed to fit everything into the box. I typically am very slow at taking my decorations down and leave them up until the middle of January but this year they have been down since Monday. I barely made it through New Years this year because I felt like I was exploding at the seams! All the decorations on top of all the baby items, new and old toys, 2 kids and 3 dogs all in my tiny living room space... I had enough! I needed space to breath! Hopefully next year I will be better!

Krista
Go to Top of Page

LadyInRed
True Blue Farmgirl

6740 Posts

PeggyAnn
Vancouver WA
USA
6740 Posts

Posted - Jan 05 2017 :  1:42:20 PM  Show Profile
I feel the Exact same way. Much more fun to put up thank to take down also. Right now my Tree stands undecorated in my living room. And all the Other decorations
are heaped up on my Dining room table...and I will not get them finished until tomorrow. Ugh!

Blessings,
Peggy

Farmgirl #1326
Dec 2011-Farmgirl of the Month
http://ladyinredsite.blogspot.com

Don't allow others to steal the Glitz from your *SPARKLE*

Life is too short to knit with ugly yarn!

Leave Your Cares Behind...Join Us On The Porch
Go to Top of Page

ddmashayekhi
True Blue Farmgirl

4738 Posts

Dawn
Naperville Illinois
USA
4738 Posts

Posted - Jan 05 2017 :  3:27:42 PM  Show Profile
I take my decorations down just like I put them up. The outside lights/decorations on one day, the interior decor another and finally the tree on a separate day. Still a lot of work, but breaking it down like this works best for me and helps me from getting too cranky about it!

As much as I love seeing the house all decked out, it is nice to get everything back to "normal".

Dawn in IL

"Don’t let anyone ever tell you that this country isn’t great, that somehow we need to make it great again" Michelle Obama
Go to Top of Page

firecatinc
True Blue Farmgirl

1252 Posts

Lenora
Fulks Run VA
USA
1252 Posts

Posted - Jan 05 2017 :  3:28:43 PM  Show Profile
I undo everything on New Years Day and most of it is put back in its place.

Nora
Farmgirl Sister #7131
Farmgirl of the Month, January 2017
Go to Top of Page

sue5901
True Blue Farmgirl

122 Posts

Sue
Wellingborough
United Kingdom
122 Posts

Posted - Jan 06 2017 :  05:43:04 AM  Show Profile
I love the day I put my decorations up but love just as much the day I take them down - but mine come down normally 27/28th and definitely before the New Year.

Dance like nobody's watching!
Go to Top of Page

ceejay48
Farmgirl Legend/Schoolmarm/Sharpshooter

13626 Posts

CeeJay (CJ)
Dolores Colorado
USA
13626 Posts

Posted - Jan 06 2017 :  08:39:29 AM  Show Profile  Send ceejay48 a Yahoo! Message
Mine come down whenever I get the time and the "mood", however it's never before New Years Day, usually.
Because we were out of town for the holiday and had no celebrations planned in our home I decorated more simply and used potted poinsettias. So, my Christmas is down but the poinsettias are still doing well (I have four) so I just turned it into a Scottish red tartan themed décor.
CJ

..from the barefoot farmgirl in SW Colorado...sister chick #665.
2010 Farmgirl Sister of the Year
Mother Hen: FARMGIRLS SOUTHWEST HENHOUSE

my aprons - http://www.facebook.com/FarmFreshAprons

living life - www.snippetscja.blogspot.com

from my heart - www.fromacelticheart.blogspot.com

from my hubby - www.aspenforge.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

rachelbee
True Blue Farmgirl

207 Posts

Rachel
Carmel IN
USA
207 Posts

Posted - Jan 06 2017 :  2:20:29 PM  Show Profile
This year I took down every Christmas box from the attic, put up everything I wanted to keep, and donated the rest. I must have gotten rid of at least half of it. Less to haul up and down next year!

Rachel, #6992
Go to Top of Page

Daizy
True Blue Farmgirl

992 Posts

Daizy
Talladega Alabama
USA
992 Posts

Posted - Jan 06 2017 :  3:31:14 PM  Show Profile
Hay there,

I suppose my tree will be up for quite awhile. It is my project. I am going thru each and every box and tub of ALL my decorations. Some are handmade items and others are purchased but lots of them have missing hangers or needs something glued back on. I will fix it then hang it and once all the boxes are empty and decorations are exposed!? then I can repack using a theme concept. All the handmades in one and all the western in another, etc. Lights will be tested, and items that need repainting with be repainted. I want my decorating to be fun but it has not been fun because I can't find some things or I need to fix them in order to display them. I want EASY this year!!

My MAIN GOAL of this year is to touch EVERYTHING in my home and buildings and make use of them or store correctly with labels. I'm DONE beening disorganized!!

Hugs and prayers, Daizy #1093
Poor House Farmgirl Chapter {A virtual chapter open to everyone.}
A good day is when you find ALL your ear tags! I wonder how my cows would like my Farmgirl apron??
www.poorhouseparadise.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

6594 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
6594 Posts

Posted - Jan 07 2017 :  06:02:16 AM  Show Profile
I always keep my tree up until Epiphany on January 6, but this year, my poor tree dried out and turned brown so it came down on New Years. Honestly, it was a fire risk!! We had such a warm December, my tree just didn't hold up well at all even though we had the windows open and no heat on. I always miss the decorations and lights so for the past decade, I keep a small artificial tree, I call my everything tree, in a corner of the living room and keep it decorated by season. When I want that sparkly lights feel, I can turn it on and enjoy it.

Rachel, I did what you did a few years back and now it has made decorating so much easier. My girls are all grown and we just don't need all of those decorations. If they were in good shape, I donated them to the local Hospice thrift store so others might find a use and enjoy them now. The things I did keep were from my childhood home and favorites from our family. I also packed up boxes of the girls' personal ornaments and decorations that were given to them by family during their childhoods. If they want to use them or keep them, they can make the decision what to keep and what to donate.

Winnie #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Farm Sister of the Year 2014-2015
Go to Top of Page

Christy925
True Blue Farmgirl

476 Posts

Christy
Midland Michigan
USA
476 Posts

Posted - Jan 07 2017 :  06:59:01 AM  Show Profile
I'm going through my stuff too. Sorting, re-packing, selling, giving away etc. I just have too much. I only want to keep the things that touch my heart strings.

Going to leave my small tree up all year though. Redecorate for each holiday/season. My husband needs the sparkle and cheer right now. Will be a fun on going project.

Farmgirl Sister #2315
http://www.etsy.com/shop/WildThymeCreations?ref=pr_shop
https://www.flickr.com/photos/marketwoman45/albums
Go to Top of Page

Daizy
True Blue Farmgirl

992 Posts

Daizy
Talladega Alabama
USA
992 Posts

Posted - Jan 07 2017 :  09:16:51 AM  Show Profile
Hay there,

Way to go Farm Girls.....I am in good company with all this organizing and streamlining. My tree for Christmas was lights a few western boots and red flannel tiny fabric strips tied in between 5 of my cowboy hats. One hat was my Pops (grand dad) and one was my sons and the others were mine. Simple but also a great way to have my hats handy. I might leave those up all year.......hmmmmm!!

Hugs and prayers, Daizy #1093
Poor House Farmgirl Chapter {A virtual chapter open to everyone.}
A good day is when you find ALL your ear tags! I wonder how my cows would like my Farmgirl apron??
www.poorhouseparadise.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Jan 07 2017 :  11:26:33 AM  Show Profile
LOL! Now see, I am just the opposite, Nicole! Even though I have developed a streamlined system of storing my decorations, I enjoy the DAYS it takes me to perfectly place - and light - every decoration and ornament! And then the whole house is so warm and cheerful, I hate putting it all away! LOL! Today is Orthodox Christmas, a holy day faithfully celebrated and heartily enjoyed by my mother-in-law, so we always wait until the day after to deconstruct all of the holiday wonder. But last night I was feeling a little sad about taking things down, so to convince myself it's time, I went over to the tree to test the needles, thinking surely the tree was drying out and ready to retire. Nope! Even though we bought our tree the day after Thanksgiving, it was purchased fresh from a local farm. The needles are still soft and mostly in tact, and there is still a soft pine fragrance still emanating from every bough. Be still my heart! So NOW what do I do? The branches are definitely sagging, but our grand lady is still standing tall and proud, shouting the joyful tidings of Christmas in all her glory! Taking her down just seems wrong! And how austere things will seem once all the decorations are laid to rest in their crates. <<Sigh>> I am definitely in love with my home more than ever at Christmas time. I think it's going to take an extra cup of snowman cocoa to help me through tomorrow, for sure... It will go all too quickly for me! :( Hugs - Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

God gave us two hands... one to help ourselves, and one to help others!

Go to Top of Page

texdane

4658 Posts

Nicole
Sandy Hook CT
USA
4658 Posts

Posted - Jan 07 2017 :  5:19:45 PM  Show Profile
Hi Nini!

I don't want to ever take it down, as I take days like you to put it up and perfectly have every nook and cranny just so. The house is so warm and cheerful, but there comes a time when I HAVE to take it down.

This year, I did it. I took my time, and reorganized it all before packing away. My husband was shocked! He said what a workout I must have gotten, taking all those boxes down to the basement, lol. I just packed up the last thing today, which I leave up as long as I can. It is the ceramic Christmas tree my mom sent me last year. I just love it, and am sentimental about it since it was from my mother.

It just seems to be such a big chore to pack away but I did it and then gave the house a really good cleaning. Feels good to have it all sparkling and organized, though I miss the cheerfulness of the decorations and lights.

I think this is the latest I have ever left the decorations up, but I wanted to do it before things get too busy again. I am looking forward to putting up the Valentines stuff in a few weeks.

Farmgirl Hugs,
Nicole

Farmgirl Sister #1155

Go to Top of Page

AFinkberry
True Blue Farmgirl

310 Posts

Ally
Kalama Washington
310 Posts

Posted - Jan 07 2017 :  6:45:48 PM  Show Profile
I really feel good about cleaning up my house! I took down our tree because it was bone dry and I had a frightening conversation with a friend about homeowners vs. renters insurance! It felt good to take it down, though. My Christmas village is still up and our holiday mugs are still on our Santa tray, but we don't have that much in the first place.
When we moved up here from CA, I had ten boxes of decorations and I made a deal with my husband to get rid of all but three if he got rid of his gross futon mattress from his college days! (I still feel that is was worth it!) So I am starting out small and adding year by year, thrift store piece by thrift store piece!
I have fulfilled my light craze by placing a strand of white lights on an out of the way window sill in my front room! It looks nice and warm and I can dress it up for each holiday!

Ally
Farmgirl Sister #5672

"There is no need for temples, no need for complicated philosophies. My brain and my heart are my temples; my philosophy is kindness." ~His Holiness the Dalai Lama
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
True Blue Farmgirl

9329 Posts

Denise
Beavercreek Ohio
USA
9329 Posts

Posted - Jan 08 2017 :  4:12:29 PM  Show Profile
We always put our tree up on December 2nd. Tradition. When I took it down this year I had my son bring up all the seasonal tubs that I store stuff in from the basement and I went through them all. I managed to get most of it in one tub,except Christmas. I put things in and labeled the tubs. Everything I didn't keep, which was in one very huge tub I had my dh take to the local church thrift shop. Then I cleaned and continued on with my sorting and downsizing. Not done yet but it is an ongoing process I think anyway. Feels so much better to know what I want the end result to look like!

~Denise~
Farmgirl Sister #43

"Thy Word is a lamp unto my feet and a light unto my path." Psalm 119:105

http://www.ladybugsandlilacs.blogspot.com/
http://www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Bonnie Ellis
True Blue Farmgirl

2474 Posts

Bonnie
Minneapolis Minnesota
USA
2474 Posts

Posted - Jan 08 2017 :  7:19:42 PM  Show Profile
We put up our tree on Christmas Eve, a Scandanavian tradition. Just got everything boxed up and ready to put away tomorrow. I decorate for winter (snowmen, skis, snowshoes etc. I use a blue accent. Then I decorate for Valentine's Day.

grandmother and orphan farmgirl
Go to Top of Page

AuntJamelle
True Blue Farmgirl

569 Posts

Jaime
South Bend Indiana
USA
569 Posts

Posted - Jan 09 2017 :  06:38:36 AM  Show Profile
I find it takes me so much longer to put things up than take them down. Adjusting everything just so versus pulling it down and packing it away. :) I am sad to lose the glow of the Christmas lights - they disperse so much of the gloom our grey winter days can bring - BUT it feels nice to have a less cluttered feel to our living spaces again.

Lugging those heavy boxes back upstairs is a pain though! And I do need to get a much better system in place for all my boxes of holiday decor. DH is going to hang some shelves for me that should help immensely!
Go to Top of Page

texdane

4658 Posts

Nicole
Sandy Hook CT
USA
4658 Posts

Posted - Jan 09 2017 :  09:54:38 AM  Show Profile
I got it all done this weekend - then noticed I left a sled on one porch and a Santa blow mold out front, outside! Other than that, inside is done and I did a good top to bottom cleaning.

Now I can't wait to put out some Valentine's things, though I don't have that much.

Farmgirl Hugs,
Nicole

Farmgirl Sister #1155

Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
True Blue Farmgirl

9329 Posts

Denise
Beavercreek Ohio
USA
9329 Posts

Posted - Jan 09 2017 :  4:22:14 PM  Show Profile
I started putting out my Valentine stuff when I was sorting through all the boxes. I only have a couple of hanging things and some little fake cookies to hang on my tiny tree I left out. I went to HL today and picked up a couple picks to put in different places just to add a touch more.

I also do the card swaps so they add some fun decoration too!

~Denise~
Farmgirl Sister #43

Go to Top of Page

Bridge
True Blue Farmgirl

814 Posts

Bridgette
Southern Indiana
USA
814 Posts

Posted - Jan 10 2017 :  08:18:29 AM  Show Profile
I got my Christmas all put away this weekend. I then realized I have no Valentines decor, well I will just have to correct that. I plan on going to Dollar Tree this week. I also want to make a few things I have on Pinterest, and I joined the card exchange.
I do still have a Christmas tree out in the storage room, I need to take the lights and trim off of it and put it away correctly. Apparently I was in a rush in a prior year, I just shoved the whole thing in the box, lights and trim. Of course the lid doesn't close and it looks a mess. I didn't use that tree this season, but I want to correct the disarray.
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
True Blue Farmgirl

9329 Posts

Denise
Beavercreek Ohio
USA
9329 Posts

Posted - Jan 10 2017 :  5:58:34 PM  Show Profile
Bridgette,
I am checking out Pinterest for some Valentine decor ideas too. But I'm always on there for way too long!

~Denise~
Farmgirl Sister #43

Go to Top of Page

LilDebbie
True Blue Farmgirl

107 Posts

Debbie
Days Creek Oregon
USA
107 Posts

Posted - Jan 24 2017 :  12:57:25 PM  Show Profile
I put my Christmas stuff up a week or so ago. I do have a smaller year round tree I want to start decorating for the different holidays and seasons. Right now I have snowmen and snowflakes hanging from it. Have to make/buy some hearts for it and hopefully buy some pink lights. A year or so ago I threw away a strand of green lights..I'm like NO, that could of been for my St.Pattys Day theme..Hindsight I tell ya..
Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic Undecorating Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page