Libbie
Farmgirl Connection Cultivator

3579 Posts

Anne E.
Elsinore Utah
USA
3579 Posts

Posted - Jan 14 2007 :  08:45:05 AM  Show Profile
I recently ran across a copy of the BOOK, "Hobby Farm; Living Your Rural Dream for Pleasure and Profit" by Carol Ekarius. It's from the publisher of Hobby Farms magazine, which I really like, and it's a great introduction to smaller-scale farming for farmgirls (and farmboys!) who are considering a small farm. It really does have some great ideas, and I wanted to share the resource with you all. There's also a good section on "Agripreneurship."

XOXO, Libbie

"Nothing is worth more than this day." - Goethe

westernhorse51
True Blue Farmgirl

1681 Posts

michele
farmingdale n.j.
USA
1681 Posts

Posted - Jan 14 2007 :  11:03:54 AM  Show Profile
it is a great book. I had it & gave it to my sister in south jersey when she bought a few acres for a small farm. It's loaded w/ alot of valuable info.

she selects wool and flax and works with eager hands Prov.31:13
Go to Top of Page

katiedid
True Blue Farmgirl

601 Posts

Kate
West Jordan Utah
USA
601 Posts

Posted - Jan 14 2007 :  11:25:43 AM  Show Profile
oh, I will definately look into this! Eldon and I are going to be making an offer on a new house and farmette...can't hardly wait to begin planning our animals and garden!!
Kate

my new blog http/www.theknifemakerswife.wordpress.com
Go to Top of Page

BamaSuzy
True Blue Farmgirl

138 Posts

Alabama
USA
138 Posts

Posted - Jan 14 2007 :  7:51:38 PM  Show Profile
I read the magazine but haven't had a chance to see a copy of the book yet....but I hate their title of "Hobby" farm....people who tend to animals, dig in the dirt, give their souls for their land, are doing something that is far greater than a "hobby"......

I still prefer COUNTRYSIDE for good old fashioned advice but love some of the articles in HOBBY FARM's magazine as well. But I may not renew this year since money is so tight....but COUNTRYSIDE MUST be renewed....every penny of that magazine pays itself back many many times over!

thanks for the info on the book! I'll try to borrow or beg a copy!!!! might be a good birthday gift from my mama to me in May!

You can bury a lot of troubles digging in the dirt!
Go to Top of Page

crittermama
Farmgirl in Training

13 Posts

Jerri-Ann
Conway Arkansas
USA
13 Posts

Posted - Jan 18 2007 :  12:11:22 PM  Show Profile
I have this book too.And subscribe to Hobby Farms mag too. I don't like the name, but understand it to mean that you live on a farm but you don't depend on the farm for your livelihood.I agree with BamaSuzy, I love Contryside! I like the "new" Grit too.

It is a rule of nature that taking a day off on the farm sets a person back at least a week.
Jane Hamilton
Go to Top of Page

Libbie
Farmgirl Connection Cultivator

3579 Posts

Anne E.
Elsinore Utah
USA
3579 Posts

Posted - Jan 18 2007 :  7:19:48 PM  Show Profile
I'll have to check out "Grit." I haven't heard of it before. It is strange - the name "Hobby Farm," because I think it has good information, but I'm sure not looking to turn my farm into a "hobby!" I'm a farmgirl who is working my way toward a self-sustaining and profitable farm!

XOXO, Libbie

"Nothing is worth more than this day." - Goethe
Go to Top of Page

faithymom
True Blue Farmgirl

360 Posts

Faith
Sandpoint ID
USA
360 Posts

Posted - Jan 18 2007 :  10:45:00 PM  Show Profile
I love Countryside! I just sent in a card for a trial issue.
The other ones I have I got from the library for 10 cents each. they're from the early 90s, but still have TONS of great stuff!

Faith

"All television is educational television. The only question is, what is it teaching?"-Fmr. FCC Commissioner Nicholas Johnson
Go to Top of Page

yellojewl
True Blue Farmgirl

72 Posts

Amber
Hurley MO
USA
72 Posts

Posted - Jan 19 2007 :  06:27:06 AM  Show Profile
I'm headed to the "big city" library today, so thanks for the book and magazine suggestions. I've got a running list of book ideas I've gotten from all you farmgirls that I'm going to check into.
Go to Top of Page

Lovin Life
True Blue Farmgirl

103 Posts

Lisa
New Hampshire
103 Posts

Posted - Jan 26 2007 :  05:25:23 AM  Show Profile
I agree, countryside is a great, informative publication, and I love that there are no "ads" in there for non related stuff. I only buy Hobby Farm mag. if I notice something on the cover that might be useful for me, then of course I read it over in the bookstore before I buy it. I have that book too, "Making your small farm profitable", but my farm is microscopic compared to the ones he mentions. I just have to scale down everything in the book to meet my needs. I like the breakdown on different crops and what you could potentially earn from them. I may increase my raspberry plot, they sell very quickly at the market!!

I'd rather live my life with a "full plate" than an empty one. Life is not a rehearsal... eat up!
Go to Top of Page
  A Farm of My Own: Previous Topic Hobby Farm - the book... Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page