Author Across the Fence: Previous Topic Started Looking Next Topic  

catscharm74
True Blue Farmgirl

4687 Posts

Heather
Texas
USA
4687 Posts

Posted - Dec 26 2016 :  06:07:13 AM  Show Profile  Send catscharm74 a Yahoo! Message
At my very first postings..wow!! And you know what- I like the ideas I was following and somehow got lost. So it's time- time to get back to simple living and decluttering!

I am definitely at a turning point in my life. It's like I can see my life before me for the first time, with fresh eyes. I think the difference this time around is I am not afraid to make some changes, drastic if necessary.

So off to start cleaning out. I am blessed to have the next 2 days off and I am determined to get organized and decluttered. Who wants to join me and post our experiences and fun?

churunga
True Blue Farmgirl

3932 Posts

Marie
Minneapolis MN
USA
3932 Posts

Posted - Dec 26 2016 :  06:29:27 AM  Show Profile
I may join you. I have a dining room table and my desk which need lots of work. Lowell (DH) has been after me to clean this up. I have a week to do it.

Marie, Sister #5142
Farmgirl of the Month May 2014

Try everything once and the fun things twice.
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

7490 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
7490 Posts

Posted - Dec 26 2016 :  06:52:21 AM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message
As soon as I clean up a space, I manage to fill it again. This is always a goal of mine - to declutter. I have gotten rid of a lot, but more keeps being uncovered.

Farmgirl hugs,
Farmgirl #1919
Farm Girl of the Month August 2015
Linda O
Lone Oak, TX

"Women are Angels, and when someone breaks our wings, we simply continue to fly . . . on a broomstick - we're flexible, like that."
Go to Top of Page

catscharm74
True Blue Farmgirl

4687 Posts

Heather
Texas
USA
4687 Posts

Posted - Dec 26 2016 :  07:28:46 AM  Show Profile  Send catscharm74 a Yahoo! Message
Been in the master closet cleaning- removed Christmas items to their appropriate place. I find that clothing and shoes are my hardest things to get rid of. 1. I wear a size 10 shoe and when I find something I love, I admit I buy several pairs. It's hard to find comfortable shoes that fit. Over the years, I am finding I wear the same brands and wait for them to go on sale to catch a deal 2. Same with clothes- I am larger chested, so find a shirt that fits in all the right places without looking like a tent is a challenge. Again, brands matter because of the way they fit. Is it wrong to have too many plaid flannel shirts?

So my compromise is to live lightly in other areas. I don't collect too many things. I prefer a simple look. Think Fixer Upper with a little less stuff around.

What do you love and have a lot of and are willing to sacrifice in other areas to keep your "gold"? :)

Go to Top of Page

catscharm74
True Blue Farmgirl

4687 Posts

Heather
Texas
USA
4687 Posts

Posted - Dec 26 2016 :  08:11:22 AM  Show Profile  Send catscharm74 a Yahoo! Message
http://www.shabbychic.com/blog/a-little-bit-of-paradise/

This is my little bit of inspiration! I would probably add in my gold mirror, some family photos in beautiful frames and a few rugs. Lovely yes?!?

Go to Top of Page

catscharm74
True Blue Farmgirl

4687 Posts

Heather
Texas
USA
4687 Posts

Posted - Dec 26 2016 :  09:48:52 AM  Show Profile  Send catscharm74 a Yahoo! Message
My other inspiration---

http://www.theprairiebyrachelashwell.com/index.html

Go to Top of Page

catscharm74
True Blue Farmgirl

4687 Posts

Heather
Texas
USA
4687 Posts

Posted - Dec 26 2016 :  10:17:59 AM  Show Profile  Send catscharm74 a Yahoo! Message
And this pretty much sums up my wardrobe choices... basically beautiful boring. :)

http://www.shabbychic.com/blog/genuine-luster/

Go to Top of Page

gramadinah
True Blue Farmgirl

3557 Posts

Diana
Orofino ID
USA
3557 Posts

Posted - Dec 26 2016 :  12:36:46 PM  Show Profile
Heather every new years I take all the clothes on hangers and turn them around so they are what I call back wards what ever is not facing the right way in 6 months is gone.
Diana

Farmgirl Sister #273
Go to Top of Page

Tumbleweed
True Blue Farmgirl

1029 Posts

Nancy
Texas
USA
1029 Posts

Posted - Dec 26 2016 :  2:03:10 PM  Show Profile
Funny to find this topic. All morning I have been rearranging the living room. We have a preowned loveseat and couch. When I moved them to put the area rug back underneath I heard noises inside the loveseat. Turned it on its side and opened a small area underneath. Found some pens, sunglasses and a clip cell phone. None of them are ours. Finally got everything back together about 1:30 my time. Started about 8am. Like the new set up. I can get up to get something by a new path. We had the couch and loveseat in a L shape. I had to step over size 12 feet. Sorry Honey!

TW

The fun begins where the pavement ends!
Go to Top of Page

firecatinc
True Blue Farmgirl

1252 Posts

Lenora
Fulks Run VA
USA
1252 Posts

Posted - Dec 26 2016 :  4:27:03 PM  Show Profile
Diana - that sounds like a great trick. Could also put things in one set of drawers and if they haven't been moved at the end of the season take them to Goodwill

Nora
Farmgirl Sister #7131
Go to Top of Page

Bonnie Ellis
True Blue Farmgirl

2474 Posts

Bonnie
Minneapolis Minnesota
USA
2474 Posts

Posted - Dec 26 2016 :  8:12:48 PM  Show Profile
Our goal this year is to get rid of unnecessary stuff. Call it de-cluttering, cleaning or whatever it is necessary if you're getting older and you are a pack rat. Another goal is to update addresses and phone numbers. I write stuff on napkins, envelopes, receipts and anything that is handy. My third goal is to organize old photos. Happy near everyone.

grandmother and orphan farmgirl
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

6594 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
6594 Posts

Posted - Dec 27 2016 :  05:38:20 AM  Show Profile
Heather~ Since I retired, I have been on a rampage to declutter, but like Linda says, it all seems to fill right back up!! LOL!! As I take down the Christmas decorations, I already have several big boxes to do a thorough decluttering of storage boxes, desk, closet and whatever else I find. I plan to start the New Year with better order and make a real effort not to accumulate more this year. It is a challenge that I am committed to keep this year!

Winnie #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Farm Sister of the Year 2014-2015
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

7490 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
7490 Posts

Posted - Dec 27 2016 :  06:15:11 AM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message
Amen, Winnie! I agree! I TRY, but it IS a challenge!

Farmgirl hugs,
Farmgirl #1919
Farm Girl of the Month August 2015
Linda O
Lone Oak, TX

"Women are Angels, and when someone breaks our wings, we simply continue to fly . . . on a broomstick - we're flexible, like that."
Go to Top of Page

Kiltie Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

68 Posts

Jennifer
Bay City MI
USA
68 Posts

Posted - Dec 27 2016 :  7:44:17 PM  Show Profile
De-cluttering and simplifying has become very important to me as I've gotten older. The mess around the house drives me insane! Unfortunately, my family isn't on the same page! LOL I do try however and we work on one room at a time, moving around the house and then start over. I love the simple farmhouse look and am working on redecorating as I go also. A big "resolution" for me for 2017.

Jenn

Farmgirl Sister #7120

"Leave room in your garden for the fairies to dance."
Go to Top of Page

catscharm74
True Blue Farmgirl

4687 Posts

Heather
Texas
USA
4687 Posts

Posted - Dec 28 2016 :  05:05:45 AM  Show Profile  Send catscharm74 a Yahoo! Message
It is one of the hardest things to do but I find that things have really gotten out of control over the past 2-3 years for me. Time to take the control back! I did dump a bunch of stuff from my kitchen cupboards and I have a bag going for clothing and shoes. We broke down all the recyclables yesterday and it looks so much better in here. I also cleaned out the pantry and am taking 4 bags of food to the food bank. Next, the Christmas decorations are coming down and my goal is 2 bins, the 2 trees (1 big, 1 small) and 1 bin for the outdoor stuff.

Another thing is just getting projects done. I have some chairs that need to be spray painted, a wall that needs to be painted, some touch up paint and curtains that need to go up in the bathroom. It's those little things that make a huge difference.

Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic Started Looking Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page