17161 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
17161 Posts

Posted - Nov 30 2016 :  2:11:39 PM  Show Profile
24 Days of Christmas Trivia..

let the silliness begin!
and feel free to add your Holiday trivia to this post...
Oh and don't forget, Tis the Season to wear your silly Holiday sweaters, Santa Hats and antlers too
!

Trivia #1
What Country issued the 1st Christmas stamp?
*Canada, in 1898

(* the majority of Trivia questions posted here are from the "Quiz the Season" book, 2002, Barnes and Nobel*)
>^..^<
Happiness is being a katmom and Glamping Diva!

www.katmom4.blogspot.com & http://graciesvictorianrose.blogspot.com

Edited by - katmom on Dec 01 2016 10:37:32 AM

janamarieje
True Blue Farmgirl

1022 Posts

Jana
Southern California
USA
1022 Posts

Posted - Nov 30 2016 :  2:23:18 PM  Show Profile
Canada

After leaving Bethlehem, to which country did Joseph, Mary, and Jesus travel?

Jana
http://www.emhardt.com

Gardening is cheaper than therapy and you get tomatoes. ~Author Unknown
All I really need is love, but a little chocolate now and then doesn't hurt! ~Charles Schulz
Go to Top of Page

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

17161 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
17161 Posts

Posted - Nov 30 2016 :  2:36:43 PM  Show Profile
Wow! good one!
1st to Egypt,,, and then later to Nazareth.

Thanks Jana

>^..^<

Go to Top of Page

janamarieje
True Blue Farmgirl

1022 Posts

Jana
Southern California
USA
1022 Posts

Posted - Nov 30 2016 :  2:41:22 PM  Show Profile
Very good!

Jana

All I really need is love, but a little chocolate now and then doesn't hurt! ~Charles Schulz
Go to Top of Page

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

17161 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
17161 Posts

Posted - Dec 01 2016 :  10:35:36 AM  Show Profile
Originated in the 1950's -60's,,, what were the bank accounts that helped you save for Christmas presents called?

"Christmas Club"

(many believe that the advent of credit cards helped with the decline of this savings method.)

>^..^<

Edited by - katmom on Dec 02 2016 11:03:19 AM
Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Dec 01 2016 :  11:23:33 AM  Show Profile
We still have Christmas Clubs here, Gracie!!! We're always a bit behind the rest of the world, though. I kinda like it! ;)

Love this strain... What a neat idea!

Here's one: St. Nicholas was actually a Bishop from what is now Turkey, and had actually made several pilgrimages to the Holy Land, including to see Bethlehem, the Holy Sepulchre, Golgotha... He is not only known for his kindness and generosity, such as providing the dowry for the three daughters; he is actually associated with many miracles, including intercessory prayer that stilled violent waters and effected the resurrection of a dead sailor and three murdered boys. At one time, he had even been imprisoned by Diocletian during the Christian persecution, later released by Constantine. He also attended the First Council of Nicea, and was one of the signers of the Nicene Creed! There is so much more to this amazing man of faith, too. It's just a wonder how today he is only known as the "jolly old elf in the bright red suit." Although I, personally, am a huge fan of Santa Claus (my Dad actually knew him!!!!), I am a humbled by the true embodiment of the saint himself!

Merry, Merry!

Hugs -

Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

God gave us two hands... one to help ourselves, and one to help others!

Edited by - Ninibini on Dec 01 2016 11:26:21 AM
Go to Top of Page

Ladybek9756
True Blue Farmgirl

882 Posts

Rebecca
Linneus Maine
USA
882 Posts

Posted - Dec 01 2016 :  11:29:47 AM  Show Profile  Click to see Ladybek9756's MSN Messenger address  Send Ladybek9756 a Yahoo! Message
Here in our town they still have Christmas Clubs and we joined. I knew about them when I was younger and had little ones running around. It is nice that they have them here. Don't have to worry about saving for Christmas, the club does it for me.
Becky

May the stars carry your sadness away. May the flowers fill your heart with beauty, and may hope forever wipe away your tears.
Go to Top of Page

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

17161 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
17161 Posts

Posted - Dec 01 2016 :  5:31:40 PM  Show Profile
Ok... that does it... I am moving to the East side of the U.S.A... so I can open a Christmas Club account for next year!
Hohoho!

Nini, you lucky duck, (your dad actually knew Santa) ...heeheehee!

>^..^<

Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Dec 01 2016 :  7:23:50 PM  Show Profile
Yeah, well... I didn't feel so lucky about it the Christmas we were too wound up to go to bed and he CALLED Santa to tell him not to come that year!!! UGH!!! You see, my dad and Santa used to golf and go fishing and sailing together whenever Santa would come to the Cape for vacation each year. Apparently Santa has a hankering not only for cookies, but he's a big fan of lobster, stuffies (stuffed quahogs) and little necks (small soft shell clams) in butter, and he and my dad shared many seafood fares together over the years. My dad owned a service station, and would tune up Santa's car while he and Mrs. C lazed on the beach all day. Thankfully, when my son was very young, my dad gave me and Jolly Ol' St. Nick each other's phone numbers... 'Served me quite well when my son wanted to talk with him and thank him! ;) My dad was bigger than life to my son because of it, too! ;) I, however, would NEVER cancel Santa's visit... That's just plain mean. Thankfully, Santa didn't have the heart not to come... He always came through for us, God bless him! He is just too cool, that guy!!! *<|:o)}

Farmgirl Sister #1974

Edited by - Ninibini on Dec 01 2016 7:27:43 PM
Go to Top of Page

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

17161 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
17161 Posts

Posted - Dec 01 2016 :  10:38:32 PM  Show Profile
Oh Nini,,, you are such a card,,, love hearing about your family and Santa.... just makes me smile and Santa has good taste and probably high cholesterol (from all that crustation lol!)...
HoHoHo!

>^..^<

Go to Top of Page

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

17161 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
17161 Posts

Posted - Dec 02 2016 :  11:00:52 AM  Show Profile
Which composer wrote the score to the Bing Crosby 1954 holiday movie, White Christmas?

Irving Berlin
>^..^<

Edited by - katmom on Dec 02 2016 11:04:21 AM
Go to Top of Page

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

17161 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
17161 Posts

Posted - Dec 03 2016 :  10:49:07 AM  Show Profile
What 'Rocky Mountain High' singer starred in the 1986 TV movie " The Christmas Gift" ?

Singer, John Denver

>^..^<

Edited by - katmom on Dec 04 2016 10:14:14 PM
Go to Top of Page

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

17161 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
17161 Posts

Posted - Dec 04 2016 :  10:16:38 PM  Show Profile
What does the Grinch use to pull his sleigh?

His dog, Max.

>^..^<

Edited by - katmom on Dec 04 2016 10:17:22 PM
Go to Top of Page

Killarney
True Blue Farmgirl

5088 Posts

Connie
Arlington TN
USA
5088 Posts

Posted - Dec 05 2016 :  07:52:44 AM  Show Profile
Love this trivia Grace!! We had Christmas clubs here when I was a little girl. The Banks would give a paper card that coins could slide into or Paper banks like this one to advertise. In the 70's you opened your account in January and you got your money in November and if you didn't draw any out during the year, you got extra interest!
Here is a Vintage one from the 1950's from. Ct. I just got this one a few days ago for my ephemera Collection! I love old Christmas Advertising!

Connie
Imagine....#3392
FGOTM August, 2014
Go to Top of Page

Killarney
True Blue Farmgirl

5088 Posts

Connie
Arlington TN
USA
5088 Posts

Posted - Dec 05 2016 :  08:01:06 AM  Show Profile
A little trivia most know. The Cocoa- Cola Company introduced us to the image of Jolly Santa in the red suit! in the early 1930's. Prior to that time he was picture as Father Christmas in a long brown robe. It boosted the sale of Coke and brought us the Santa as we still know him today!

Connie
Imagine....#3392
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

7490 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
7490 Posts

Posted - Dec 05 2016 :  08:12:10 AM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message
I love that, Connie. I'm looking on eBay now. I wish the banks would do this again - teach the kids to save! Though $.25 a week ($13.00 over a year) doesn't buy much these days. LOL!

Farmgirl hugs,
Farmgirl #1919
Farm Girl of the Month August 2015
Linda O
Lone Oak, TX

"Women are Angels, and when someone breaks our wings, we simply continue to fly . . . on a broomstick - we're flexible, like that."
Go to Top of Page

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

17161 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
17161 Posts

Posted - Dec 05 2016 :  09:50:38 AM  Show Profile
Oh Connie... luv luv luv the paper Santa savings bank!!!
Isn't vtg. Graphics the Best!!!!
And yep,,, Coke intorduced us to the Jolly Red Santa that we all have grown up with....

Linda... $13.00 sadly won't buy much today.... that being said... a child could have a blast in one of the dollar type stores...
(Here is my word of caution about dollar store inventory ...parents make sure the items are safe...from choking and lead paint).

I remember taking my daughter, back in the early '80's to the SanRio aka: Hello Kitty store, to spend her Christmas money... and (I) feeling guilty that all she could buy were small trinkets... everything back then was so over our budget...but she never seemed disappointed. She had fun picking and chooseing and managing her money.
Hmmm... makes me think, maybe I should send all 3 of my Grandkiddos banks... with a note on how to save their money for next year....

>^..^<

Go to Top of Page

Killarney
True Blue Farmgirl

5088 Posts

Connie
Arlington TN
USA
5088 Posts

Posted - Dec 05 2016 :  10:27:40 AM  Show Profile
Thanks Linda! Check Etsy too!! They sell Vintage everything!! Ebay has several listed now,like mine, check all the listings first, one is buy it now 12.00 free shipping and then a person has 2 just like it for $50.00!! also make offer when it says best offer, I have done that many times!

Grace, I use to take my Holly to Sanrio too, in the1980's. She loved spending her allowance there on trinkets too. We lived on a tight budget then too! Holly would be excited about the cute little sacks they put the stuff in!! LOL!

Connie
Imagine....33392

Edited by - Killarney on Dec 05 2016 10:31:53 AM
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

7490 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
7490 Posts

Posted - Dec 05 2016 :  11:00:59 AM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message
Grace - I thought about the Christmas bank idea, too. My grandsons live just 2 miles down the road from me. I'm just wondering if they would keep it without "borrowing" from it before November. LOL! And, Yes, if I take them to the dollar store I make sure it is something that isn't harmful.

Connie - I've made offers on eBay, too, and had them accepted. Especially if it has been relisted.

Farmgirl hugs,
Farmgirl #1919
Farm Girl of the Month August 2015
Linda O
Lone Oak, TX

"Women are Angels, and when someone breaks our wings, we simply continue to fly . . . on a broomstick - we're flexible, like that."

Edited by - quiltee on Dec 05 2016 11:01:39 AM
Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Dec 05 2016 :  1:06:57 PM  Show Profile
LOL! Gracie - that is my story, and I am stickin'to it!!!

And, oh my, Grace! That bank is ADORABLE! I never saw one like that before! It reminds me of the old UNICEF collection boxes, a little bit... Only the Christmas club one is soooo much cooler, with Santa and the chimney! LOVE it!!!

Did you know that Nativity scenes were introduced by St. Francis of Assisi? He wanted people to see and experience the humble beginnings of the Christ Child. On Christmas Eve in 1223, the first live re-enactment of the Nativity took place in Greccio, also known as "The New Bethlehem." It is said the torches of all the people coming to participate lit up the night sky as they approached the manger, reminiscent of the shepherds who had gone to adore the Holy Child. Seeing the live depiction caused great joy in the hearts of the people, and thus the tradition of the Nativity scene as many of us experience it today began.

This is also a very interesting article about how St. Boniface transformed the pagan tree honoring the god Thor into a tree celebrating the birth of Christ: http://www.catholic.com/blog/steve-weidenkopf/st-boniface-and-the-christmas-tree

Okay... Now for the fun stuff... All over the world, Santa is known by many, many names... How many can you think of? These are mine:

Santa Claus
Jolly Old St. Nick
Father Christmas
Kris Kringle
And, as one of my nieces called him when she was a toddler: Bumpa Claws... LOL! KIDS!!! Too funny!

Help! There just HAVE to be more names!

Hugs -

Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

Go to Top of Page

janamarieje
True Blue Farmgirl

1022 Posts

Jana
Southern California
USA
1022 Posts

Posted - Dec 05 2016 :  5:59:38 PM  Show Profile
Love the trivia and stories posted above! I remember Christmas savings accounts and wish I had saved the savings book and many other items from my youth.

What Christmas plant is "Viscum" used to label?

and

Which continent is the turkey from?

Jana

Go to Top of Page

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

17161 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
17161 Posts

Posted - Dec 05 2016 :  6:49:20 PM  Show Profile
Jana... "viscum" if you come into my house, in the Foyer,, ya better pucker up! I have a pup who luvs to give kisses... lololol!
and yep, a lot of the Oaks around here have it...

>^..^<

Edited by - katmom on Dec 05 2016 7:04:20 PM
Go to Top of Page

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

17161 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
17161 Posts

Posted - Dec 05 2016 :  7:02:48 PM  Show Profile
In the carol, "God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen"... why are the gentlemen so tired?

Actually they aren't. In this song, the word "rest" means "keep".

>^..^<

Edited by - katmom on Dec 05 2016 7:03:31 PM
Go to Top of Page

Killarney
True Blue Farmgirl

5088 Posts

Connie
Arlington TN
USA
5088 Posts

Posted - Dec 06 2016 :  09:25:02 AM  Show Profile
I forgot I had this one. Some banks gave tags to hang on your tree when you opened your "Christmas Club". Now back to Christmas Trivia!

Connie
Imagine....#3392
FGOTM August 2014
Go to Top of Page

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

17161 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
17161 Posts

Posted - Dec 07 2016 :  09:15:44 AM  Show Profile
What does Della sell to buy a watch fob chain in "The Gift of the Magi" ?

Her Hair.

(I luv this sweet story) .

>^..^<

Edited by - katmom on Dec 08 2016 11:05:50 PM
Go to Top of Page

Killarney
True Blue Farmgirl

5088 Posts

Connie
Arlington TN
USA
5088 Posts

Posted - Dec 07 2016 :  11:47:23 AM  Show Profile
Grace, I still love to Read that story!!
Connie
Imagine....#3392
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Across the Fence: Previous Topic 24 Days of Christmas Trivia Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page