Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Farm Kitchen
 How to use up the last of the apples
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic How to use up the last of the apples Next Topic  

Cozynana
True Blue Farmgirl

1123 Posts

Kem

1123 Posts

Posted - Nov 20 2016 :  6:32:13 PM  Show Profile
I still have some apples I picked last month I need to do something with. What have you done with the last of the apples?

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

6592 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
6592 Posts

Posted - Nov 21 2016 :  05:30:47 AM  Show Profile
Kem, you can dry apple slices and use them all year long in all sorts of recipes, can batches of apple sauce, can apple pie filling, and apple butter. These canned goods will serve you well all year long and perfect for gift giving this holiday season as well.

Winnie #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Farm Sister of the Year 2014-2015
Go to Top of Page

ceejay48
Farmgirl Legend/Schoolmarm/Sharpshooter

13617 Posts

CeeJay (CJ)
Dolores Colorado
USA
13617 Posts

Posted - Nov 21 2016 :  07:02:28 AM  Show Profile  Send ceejay48 a Yahoo! Message
We either make applesauce or grate them and put them in the freezer for winter use. I make a breakfast cookie that I put grated apples in and I can count on getting some out of the freezer. Applesauce great for quick bread or just to eat with a bit of cinnamon.
CJ

..from the barefoot farmgirl in SW Colorado...sister chick #665.
2010 Farmgirl Sister of the Year
Mother Hen: FARMGIRLS SOUTHWEST HENHOUSE

my aprons - http://www.facebook.com/FarmFreshAprons

living life - www.snippetscja.blogspot.com

from my heart - www.fromacelticheart.blogspot.com

from my hubby - www.aspenforge.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

ceejay48
Farmgirl Legend/Schoolmarm/Sharpshooter

13617 Posts

CeeJay (CJ)
Dolores Colorado
USA
13617 Posts

Posted - Nov 21 2016 :  07:04:26 AM  Show Profile  Send ceejay48 a Yahoo! Message
P.S. I have done some really yummy apple butter in the past and put in the freezer. It could be canned and I also have canned applesauce which works well too!
CJ

..from the barefoot farmgirl in SW Colorado...sister chick #665.
2010 Farmgirl Sister of the Year
Mother Hen: FARMGIRLS SOUTHWEST HENHOUSE

my aprons - http://www.facebook.com/FarmFreshAprons

living life - www.snippetscja.blogspot.com

from my heart - www.fromacelticheart.blogspot.com

from my hubby - www.aspenforge.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

churunga
True Blue Farmgirl

3930 Posts

Marie
Minneapolis MN
USA
3930 Posts

Posted - Nov 21 2016 :  1:32:17 PM  Show Profile
If you have a few apples which are not good for anything else, consider making apple cider vinegar out of them. Just cut them up, put them in a bowl and cover them with good, filtered water. Set them out with a towel over them and let it sit a couple days or until it smells and tastes right. Strain out the solids and bottle.

Marie, Sister #5142
Farmgirl of the Month May 2014

Try everything once and the fun things twice.
Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Nov 21 2016 :  6:18:04 PM  Show Profile
Hi Kem -

I made applesauce and canned apples in syrup instead of making the pie filling. I took the advice of some of our farmgirl sisters in canning the apples and they were right: the apples in syrup are much more versatile than canned filling, and it's super easy to add some clear jel to thicken it for pies. The rest I dehydrated, like Winnie said. I like to add them to the jar of canned apples for pies (adding a little clear jel for thickening). The syrup will soak into the dried apples and then you've got yourself one heck of a wonderfully thick, fresh-tasting pie! We also use the dehydrated apples for snacking, although my guys would eat every last one in one sitting if I didn't watch over them! Be careful! They go quickly!!! LOL! I also chop up dried apples and use them in cake, muffins, stuffing, crisps (again, with the apples in syrup), etc. The one thing I've found about dehydrated apples is that for dishes they are much better when re-hydrated with some really good cider or apple juice - it just adds more flavor, but it isn't necessary. My favorite thing about them, though, is that they use so little space in storage... and they taste so darned good!

Note: Unsweetened applesauce is an excellent substitute for oils or other fats in baking... It's always a good idea to can up a little extra specifically for that purpose! I made some banana nut muffins this past weekend substituting the applesauce for butter, and the only difference was that they were a little more springy.. and probably could've used a pinch more salt!

I love CJ's idea for apple butter! Remember: you can can that, too! YUM! So good scooped up with soda crackers!

And Marie's suggestion of vinegar is a great idea! I have used just the apple cores and peels to make it, but I'm sure it's even better and will ferment even more quickly if you're using the whole apple! I do dissolve a little sugar to the water (warm water), though, to help the fermentation along. Maybe you don't have to do that when you're using the entire fruit, though?

I have also "candied" apple peel, but you can definitely candy apple rings as well... Just cook it in a medium to heavy syrup then allow to dry - very yummy! You can always add food coloring to make it look more festive, too!

Which reminds me: If you like spiced apple rings from a jar, that would be a great canning option, too!

You can also grate the apples to dehydrate them, then add some spices and store in a jar to use later for an apple tea - either by itself, like a hot cider, or mixed with your favorite loose black or green tea. You can use a metal tea strainer, or, if you prefer, your grocery store should have little disposable tea bag-type filters in the tea aisle. These are similar to the ones I recently purchased at our local store: https://www.amazon.com/Filter-Bags-Disposable-Infuser-Filters/dp/B010RV810W/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1479780193&sr=8-4&keywords=tea+bag . I have a tea strainer, but with some teas, I simply prefer the little bags. Since dried apples would expand greatly in hot water, I think the tea bag might work better.

Finally, have you ever thought of making those cool old-fashioned dried apple face dolls? I have never done that, but it has always been something I've wanted to try! If you're overloaded with apple goodness, what fun that might be to try!

I don't think you can ever have too many apples... or pumpkin, for that matter... do you? Have fun! Wish I could be there to share in your fun!

Hugs -

Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

God gave us two hands... one to help ourselves, and one to help others!

Edited by - Ninibini on Nov 21 2016 6:21:47 PM
Go to Top of Page

Cozynana
True Blue Farmgirl

1123 Posts

Kem

1123 Posts

Posted - Nov 23 2016 :  02:13:12 AM  Show Profile
Thanks for all the good ideas. I should be able to get them used up.
Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic How to use up the last of the apples Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page