True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Sep 15 2016 :  11:07:55 PM  Show Profile
Hi girls!

I've been canning my little heart out these past couple of weeks. There have been so many moments when, overcome by the steamy heat, I have just plopped down with a tall glass of ice water, smiled and thought of all of you. I would never have been brave enough to even try canning if it weren't for your wonderful encouragement and advice! Now my cupboards are lined with the most delectable foods and treats... Come wintertime, we will still be enjoying the fruits of our summer labor! Yay!

I imagine many of you are just as elbow deep in potato, carrot and apple peels as I am right about now! Lol! I hope to be done with most all of my canning by the end of next week, with the exception of some foods that I can freeze now and process later when the weather's cooler, such as tomatoes for tomato sauce. I love steamy windows much more when it's nippy outside than I do when it's muggy, don't you? ;)

Anyhow, I was reviewing my list of canning "musts" today. Applesauce, raspberry jam, peaches, salsa, cranberry sauce, potatoes, tomato sauce, chicken and corned beef are among our favorite old faithfuls, and you'll find plenty of other garden goodies and meats on our shelves, too. This year I was so excited to have made homemade ketchup for the first time (It's affectionately referred to as our family's favorite side dish, because it covers a multitude of burnt sins - lol!)
I swear I will never go back to store bought again!

So now I am wondering: What are some of YOUR canning season "musts?" I know our beloved Sharon a.k.a Calicogirl makes amazing gourmet-type jams (SO yummiful good!), and I know a lot of you make dilly beans...

What are the tasty jars of goodness that you simply cannot live without each year?

And would anyone be interested in a strain specifically dedicated to sharing our favorite Farmgirl canning recipes? I would LOVE to have a MJF Farmgirl cookbook someday, but wouldn't a MJF Farmgirl canning cookbook be absolutely to die for?!

Hugs and Happy Pinging!

Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

God gave us two hands... one to help ourselves, and one to help others!

Edited by - Ninibini on Sep 15 2016 11:16:19 PM

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6914 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6914 Posts

Posted - Sep 16 2016 :  06:33:01 AM  Show Profile
Nina, you have been a busy FarmGirl. I'm small batch canner. I ferment and dry more than I can.

This year I made Ploughman's Pickles in Ball's new Canning Book. It has 14 ingredients but well worth the trouble. It's called a pickle but it's more of a chutney served in British pubs on cheddar cheese sandwiches. I eat it with all kinds of cheeses and breads. It is on my list of things to make again.

This month I will make for the first time Apple Pie Jam in Ball's new Canning Book. It may become a must have.

Sara~~~ FarmGirl Sister #6034 8/25/14
FarmGirl of the Month Sept 2015.

Lord put your arm around my shoulders and your hand over my mouth.
Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Oct 08 2016 :  08:06:52 AM  Show Profile
Oh, Sara! That sounds really good!!! I am going to have to pick up that book! Yum!!!

I have canned so much that I strained my shoulder lifting jars out of the canners! LOL! I'm taking a little break for now, but once the soreness subsides I'm going to tackle canning the stuff waiting for me in the freezer!

Hugs -

Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

Go to Top of Page

Calicogirl
True Blue Farmgirl

5216 Posts

Sharon
Bruce Crossing Michigan
USA
5216 Posts

Posted - Oct 09 2016 :  9:01:47 PM  Show Profile
Hey Nini and Sara!

You girls sure are busy with your preserving! It's been busy here too and I am awaiting apples :)

Our musts are:
Clementine Marmalade
Cranberry Sauce
Plum Butter
Apple Butter
Oven Roasted Pear Sauce
Red-Onion Jam
Dark Cherry Chutney (a new addition we tried this year)
Apricot-Chipotle Jam (also a new one added)
Grape Juice (I like to make this for Thanksgiving)
Zucchini Salsa
Zucchini Relish
Spicy Ketchup
Banana-Pepper Mustard
Coriander-Plum Jelly
Pickled Beets
British Style Beans (everyone loves these)

I did alot of canning this year because we were gifted alot of fruit. I tried canning my spaghetti sauce recipe and some Mulligatawny soup but have to admit that I wasn't pleased with how it came out and I will be going back to freezing them or making it fresh.

Farmgirl Sister #5392

By His Grace, For His Glory
~Sharon

http://amerryheartjournal.blogspot.com/

Edited by - Calicogirl on Oct 09 2016 9:02:45 PM
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6914 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6914 Posts

Posted - Oct 10 2016 :  06:38:56 AM  Show Profile
Sharon that's quite a list of goodies. I've seen the red onion jam recipe in my canning book and have it on a mental list to do. You have inspired me to do it later this week. The mornings are cool now so I am able to can in the Yellow Rose Cottage. When I am out there it's a whole different feeling than when I am in my kitchen. It's more like playing pioneer woman even though I use an electric hot water canner and hot plate.

Go to Top of Page

Calicogirl
True Blue Farmgirl

5216 Posts

Sharon
Bruce Crossing Michigan
USA
5216 Posts

Posted - Oct 10 2016 :  09:37:32 AM  Show Profile
I'm glad that things are cooling off for you Sara, how fun that you have a cottage just for preserving :) Move over Pioneer Woman, Sara's in town!

You will love the Red Onion Jam! We like it with cream cheese and crackers, as a glaze on roasted chicken or on Roast Beef sandwich with Havarti cheese on grilled Sourdough :) I found my recipe off of the internet years ago (can't remember where) so I'm not sure if it differs from the canning book recipe. Here is mine if you are interested:

Red Onion Jam

3 cups Red onions
1 ½ cups apple juice
½ cup Red wine vinegar
1-½ teaspoons rubbed sage
½ teaspoon black pepper
4 cups granulated sugar
¾ cup firmly packed light brown sugar
1 (1.75 ounce) package of powdered fruit pectin
1/2 teaspoon butter

1)Peel, quarter and thinly slice red onions. Measure 3 cups into a 6-8 quart saucepan. Stir in apple juice, vinegar, sage, and pepper.
2)Measure sugars in a different bowl.
3)Stir in fruit pectin into onion mixture in stockpot. Add butter. Over high heat, bring mixture to a full, rolling boil stirring constantly.
4)Quickly stir in sugars. Return to a full, rolling boil, and boil exactly 5 minutes, stirring constantly.
5)Remove from heat. Skim off any foam with a metal spoon. Ladle quickly into hot, sterilized half pint jars, filling to within 1/8-inch of the tops. Wipe jar rims and threads. Cover with lids and screw bands tightly. Process in boiling water bath for 5 minutes. Yield: 5-6 (half-pint) jars.

Farmgirl Sister #5392

~Sharon

Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6914 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6914 Posts

Posted - Oct 10 2016 :  09:43:36 AM  Show Profile
Thanks Sharon, I like your recipe better - after all it calls for butter and sage two of my favorite things. I prefer fresh sage so I will use that. Now to print it and make sure I have all ingredients.

Go to Top of Page

Calicogirl
True Blue Farmgirl

5216 Posts

Sharon
Bruce Crossing Michigan
USA
5216 Posts

Posted - Oct 10 2016 :  09:51:49 AM  Show Profile
You are welcome Sara :)

Farmgirl Sister #5392

~Sharon

Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Oct 10 2016 :  10:17:35 PM  Show Profile
Sharon! You always make the coolest stuff! Thank you so much for sharing that recipe! I am making pickled red onions tomorrow, and have a HUGE bag to work with. If I have time, I'm adding that one to my list! AWESOME!!! (SO good to "see" you!) Hugs - Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

Go to Top of Page

MagnoliaWhisper
True Blue Farmgirl

2817 Posts

Heather
Haysville Kansas
USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Oct 23 2016 :  5:58:01 PM  Show Profile
I always make mulberry jam, and strawberry, vanilla bean, lavender jam... it's soooo good. I sometimes make dandelion syrup as well.

http://www.heathersprairie.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

shawneefarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

91 Posts

Linda
Missouri
USA
91 Posts

Posted - Nov 15 2016 :  1:32:28 PM  Show Profile
Sharon - I love, love cranberry sauce. Could you tell me how to make that? Please and thank you !!

I'll tell you the truth, if a man keeps my word, he will never see death." John 8:51
Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Nov 15 2016 :  2:21:23 PM  Show Profile
Mmmm.... Strawberry jaaaaammm.... Mmmmmmm... Heather - it's just not summer without it! ;)

Linda - I make and can cranberry sauce, too. I suggest you use Sharon's recipe, when she posts it, first and foremost, because she makes the best dang stuff. However, if you'd like a neat video tutorial, this is how I learned to make it, and this is pretty much how I do it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=483OkPl4Hps
I usually can my sauce in pint and one-half jars because my guys just can't get enough of it. They prefer the sauce without the whole berries, so I just use my hand blender to crush and blend them into the liquid. I do run the sauce through my strainer just to make it as smooth as possible, but I really haven't "needed" to do it. And sometimes I do add a little more sugar, if necessary. 'Just depends upon how tart the berries are. When I make it, I make a ton of it - plenty for the upcoming year as well as for holiday and hostess gifts. Everyone really loves it - they've even started requesting it! I forgot to add it to my Thanksgiving "to do" list, though, so now I've got to get out and buy my berries! I'm so glad you posted! :)

Hugs -

Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

Go to Top of Page

shawneefarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

91 Posts

Linda
Missouri
USA
91 Posts

Posted - Nov 16 2016 :  6:51:40 PM  Show Profile
Thanks Nini, the tutorial was interesting. I will be glad to try that. thank you so much! I want to do this for Thanksgiving, too!

I'll tell you the truth, if a man keeps my word, he will never see death." John 8:51
Go to Top of Page

Calicogirl
True Blue Farmgirl

5216 Posts

Sharon
Bruce Crossing Michigan
USA
5216 Posts

Posted - Nov 16 2016 :  8:04:46 PM  Show Profile
Nini, good to see you too! Thanks! I love to experiment that's for sure :) I hope you like the Red Onion Jam :)

Heather, Your Vanilla Bean Lavender Jam sounds heavenly :)

Linda, I just used the Cranberry Sauce recipe from Ball: https://www.freshpreserving.com/cranberry-sauce-recipe-%7C-homemade-cranberry-sauce---ball-recipes-br1125.html I omitted the orange zest. I love Cranberries and having this on hand is so nice :) I love your signature line btw :)

Farmgirl Sister #5392

~Sharon

Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Canning Season "Musts" Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page