Persephone
True Blue Farmgirl

172 Posts

Katrina
Indiana
USA
172 Posts

Posted - Jan 28 2007 :  6:17:08 PM  Show Profile
Just another note, if you put too much coconut oil in your hair, don't worry. It will look really greasy for a day or so, and then the oil will absorb, and it's super soft! (Um, not that I know from personal experience or anything!!! :)
Go to Top of Page

GaiasRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2552 Posts

Tasha-Rose
St. Paul Minnesota
2552 Posts

Posted - Jan 28 2007 :  7:28:27 PM  Show Profile
Braggs is an organic ACV

I get the eo's i use at a local herbal store or I order them online.

~*~Brightest Blessings~*~
Tasha-Rose

Blogs: http://gaiarose.wordpress.com
http://frugalwitch.wordpress.com
http://tasharose365.wordpress.com/
Homepage: http://mysticwoodsfarm.com
Go to Top of Page

Aunt George
True Blue Farmgirl

1476 Posts

Georgann
Midlothian VA
1476 Posts

Posted - Jan 28 2007 :  7:31:32 PM  Show Profile
I will try this for sure. The girls and I have been trying the baking soda and ACV. I really put it to the test too. Had really dirty hair full of sprays. My hair turned out great! I want to try the egg, honey, oil mixture for sure. Especially for my one daughter with the long blonde hair and fly aways!!
Thanks,
G

http://auntgeorgeshouse.blogspot.com/index.html
Thanks for checking out my apron and sewing musings!
Go to Top of Page

Jana
True Blue Farmgirl

482 Posts

Jana
Eau Claire Wisconsin
USA
482 Posts

Posted - Jan 28 2007 :  8:24:28 PM  Show Profile
I've been reading this topic on and off for a while and thinking about it. I have relatively short hair, as I had it cut off after developing psoriasis on my scalp and in my ears. I have also developed a sensitivity to sodium lauryl sulfate, which is a sudsing agent in virtually all shampoos, and certainly all treatment shampoos, as well as toothpaste! Zinc pyrithione is the one ingredient that seems to calm my itching and scaling and I have to shampoo every day. I use Neutrogena 3 in 1 shampoo with condition but it still has the sls in it and I'm so tired of dealing with this mess. I brush my teeth with baking soda because my lips were swelling and developing sores from toothpastes. So maybe, just maybe this hair thing will help as well. I'd like to have my long hair back but I'd settle for not losing chunks of my scalp at this point!

Jana
Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4178 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4178 Posts

Posted - Jan 29 2007 :  08:49:55 AM  Show Profile
I did it this morning. I went poo-free. I washed my hair with baking soda and water. Then rinsed with honey and water. At first I wondered, while still in the shower, my hair felt different. I don't know how to describe it. No knots combing it out. I have shoulder length hair. It felt very nice combing. And now that it is dry it has lots of body. cool :) Will keep trying and see what I think after more washings. Michele
Go to Top of Page

Persephone
True Blue Farmgirl

172 Posts

Katrina
Indiana
USA
172 Posts

Posted - Jan 29 2007 :  10:24:21 AM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Aunt George

I want to try the egg, honey, oil mixture for sure. Especially for my one daughter with the long blonde hair and fly aways!!

It's : one egg
a tablespoon of ACV
and a tablespoon of honey OR oil

I think using both might make your hair greasy!
Go to Top of Page

Jana
True Blue Farmgirl

482 Posts

Jana
Eau Claire Wisconsin
USA
482 Posts

Posted - Jan 29 2007 :  11:43:14 AM  Show Profile
I did it this morning, too! I'm more of a bath person, so I filled my tub and got my baking soda mix ready and my acv mix ready. After I wet my hair I poured the baking soda mix on and it was disgusting!!! I literally had white slime dripping into the tub and it clouded up the water! THIS is what was on my hair!!! It even smelled sort of like ammonia or sulfur or something! I rinsed and then did the acv thing. WOW! My hair felt so clean and I could actually just towel it dry. My scalp is still a bit itchy in the spots where I had scale build up from the psoriasis, but that might be new skin healing, as the scale was rinsed totally off with the soda water. I notice that my hair is a bit fly-away and when I shake my head LOTS of little flakes of dandruff, so I put about 2 drops of olive oil in the palms of my hands and rubbed it into my scalp, especially in the itchy spots. We'll see what the rest of the week brings, but today my hair looks great!

Jana
Go to Top of Page

Persephone
True Blue Farmgirl

172 Posts

Katrina
Indiana
USA
172 Posts

Posted - Jan 29 2007 :  12:02:54 PM  Show Profile
nak

jana, i hope the slime was your scalp healing! healing vibes to you!
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
True Blue Farmgirl

9324 Posts

Denise
Beavercreek Ohio
USA
9324 Posts

Posted - Jan 29 2007 :  12:27:28 PM  Show Profile
I tried it out this morning. I was a little skeptical because I have psoriasis and din't want anything that would dry it out. I used the baking soda and water then rinsed then used the acv mix and rinsed then finished off with the honey water mix. I did this in the sink as we have a water conditioner on and it uses salt. I just don't like that so in the sink I could use the water purifier ( it's an RO unit) I figured if I was going to try this I wanted the water pure too. I saw a lot of the slimey white stuff too Jana. I think it was the conditioner that I use. My hair is so soft I can't believe it! Also I did not lose as much hair in the comb compared to normal and I've been using organic shampoos. It was a little rough in the sink as I have back and neck trouble but after I was done it was fine and it was toasty warm standing in front of the woodstove to dry it. :) Whoever posted this in the first place. A BIG thank you. I think I am going to try one of the conditioning treatments too.
Go to Top of Page

catscharm74
True Blue Farmgirl

4687 Posts

Heather
Texas
USA
4687 Posts

Posted - Jan 29 2007 :  1:20:26 PM  Show Profile  Send catscharm74 a Yahoo! Message
I used just the baking soda/water and HOLY COW!! My hair was so clean. I do need to condition it but for about 3 days it was so clean. I am going to try the ACV next and then maybe the honey for moisture.
Go to Top of Page

daffodil dreamer
True Blue Farmgirl

805 Posts

Jayne
Hamilton Victoria
Australia
805 Posts

Posted - Jan 29 2007 :  1:49:04 PM  Show Profile
Isn't this so great? Tasha, you've started a revolution - maybe we can put the big shampoo companies and their ridiculous ads out of business!
Best wishes,
Jayne
Go to Top of Page

GaiasRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2552 Posts

Tasha-Rose
St. Paul Minnesota
2552 Posts

Posted - Jan 29 2007 :  1:53:17 PM  Show Profile
I love it!! We have no more shampoo bottles in our house. Rob has converted and I have started washing Grace's hair this way. Zoe I am still using a shampoo bar, because even at this age, she still has a bit of cradle cap left....she had it so bad it has been very tough to get rid of. She freaks when I wash her hair as it is, so we will wait to use baking soda on her for a bit yet.

I have even gotten two of Rob's cousins to stop using shampoo and conditioner!!!

~*~Brightest Blessings~*~
Tasha-Rose

Blogs: http://gaiarose.wordpress.com
http://frugalwitch.wordpress.com
http://tasharose365.wordpress.com/
Homepage: http://mysticwoodsfarm.com
Go to Top of Page

Jana
True Blue Farmgirl

482 Posts

Jana
Eau Claire Wisconsin
USA
482 Posts

Posted - Jan 31 2007 :  11:49:01 AM  Show Profile
Tasha, this is fantastic! This is day 3 since I washed without shampoo. I used only 2 teaspoons of soda in a cup of water, as my scalp is still dry. I did 2T. acv in water for a rinse and I worked a little smidge of olive oil into my scalp. I almost have NO dandruff and the psoriasis is almost ALL GONE on my scalp (it actually flared up in my ears, which I understand can happen when you "detox" from medicated shampoos), and another thing I noticed is that I don't wake up with blood shot eyes and I'm not so fatigued ( I have fibromyalgia ). YAY!!!! Maybe this is the start of a new way of life for me! My poor hubby already had to change to a rock-type deoderant...his poor itchy pits. Immediately he had relief. I'm really starting to wonder about all these "make your life better" chemicals.

Jana
Go to Top of Page

MustangSuzie
True Blue Farmgirl

634 Posts

Sarah
New London Missouri
USA
634 Posts

Posted - Jan 31 2007 :  2:17:25 PM  Show Profile  Send MustangSuzie a Yahoo! Message
Don't you really wonder about all the chemicals we are surrounded with? I was thinking about this the other day and how just about everything available these days is some sort of synthetic or plastic. What ever happened to the good ol days???

Blessings....
Sarah
Go to Top of Page

simpler1773
True Blue Farmgirl

234 Posts

Ricki
Ashland Wisconsin
USA
234 Posts

Posted - Feb 02 2007 :  1:15:52 PM  Show Profile  Send simpler1773 a Yahoo! Message
I am so SO happy to find this ~ I am trying it first thing tomorrow. My hubby and I were just talking the other day about how to get rid of shampoo and conditioner! I can't wait ~ I'm almost giddy! LOL

~Ricki~
You can't pour anything out of an empty vessel, take care of yourself!
Go to Top of Page

BarefootGoatGirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1495 Posts

Corrine
North Carolina
USA
1495 Posts

Posted - Feb 06 2007 :  1:07:14 PM  Show Profile  Send BarefootGoatGirl a Yahoo! Message
Just an update here. I not only tried it on my hair, but have the whole family using it as well. The first time I washed my hair this way it was really tangly, but after that it brushed out nicer than it ever had. My girls both have very fine hair and now that I am using the soda it seems to stay up in "tails" much better. The boys have no opinion, they would wash thier hair in motor oil if I let them. Hubby doesn't mind it, but his dandruff is getting bad again...I'll have to go back to the original site Tasha posted and get their anti-dandruff recipie.

My hair (long) looks wonderful! It is soft, no longer static-y, looks thicker, and actualy has body. If this gets out, the shampoo companies will certantly go bust!

Trina

'
Be thou diligent to know the state of thy flocks, and look well to thy herds. Proverbs 27:23
Go to Top of Page

Jana
True Blue Farmgirl

482 Posts

Jana
Eau Claire Wisconsin
USA
482 Posts

Posted - Feb 17 2007 :  9:41:53 PM  Show Profile
Now I have a routine...
I shampoo with Dr. Bronner's unscented liquid soap followed by a rinse of about a quarter cup of acv in water and then lots more water, the last bit cool. I rub a tiny amount of olive oil on my scalp as it is so dry in this winter weather. BUT my psoriasis is well under control.
Just for the record, I did try Avalon Organics, which is sls and paraben free but the psoriasis returned. So maybe the herbs or something doesn't agree with me. I detoxed with the soda again and started over but it cleared within a day this time.
I love this! I hadn't realized that I was having such anxiety about washing my hair and how constant itching can just take over your life!
Oh, one more bonus, I don't wake up with red eyes any more. Obviously I was having an allergic reaction to shampoo!

Jana
Go to Top of Page

Bridge
True Blue Farmgirl

814 Posts

Bridgette
Southern Indiana
USA
814 Posts

Posted - Feb 19 2007 :  1:14:57 PM  Show Profile
Quick question, do you guys but the bs water in a poo bottle? Can it be made in advance and stored in a old poo bottle?

I made it in a pint jar and it was tricky trying to get it on my hair without most of it running right off into the shower. I felt like more went down the drain than on my hair.

I always take showers and have really long hair. I like the results it just seemed a little cumbersome to use?
I am open to any suggestions????

~~Bridge's Boutique~~
Go to Top of Page

Persephone
True Blue Farmgirl

172 Posts

Katrina
Indiana
USA
172 Posts

Posted - Feb 19 2007 :  2:31:20 PM  Show Profile
I have really long hair, down to my waist- I don't know if you already do this, but only wash your scalp. The rest of your hair doesn't really get dirty enough to warrant a wash- actually, I do the opposite, I oil my ends to keep them from getting too dry! I also rinse the whole length of the hair with ACV when I shower. You can make ahead the BS mixture, but don't make TOO much of it, you know? They way I do it, is I put some BS in the palm of my hand, and get it wet to make a paste, then I put THAT in my hair. Sometimes I add a bit of liquid soap to it, for extra oil cleaning. I also know of someone who makes "No-Poo Balls". I've never tried it myself, but they seem to like it, so I thought I'd post the recipe.

I never came up with a recipe. Just eyed it til it looked right. Maybe take
1/2 C. water
4-5 drops EO
tsp. Honey
enough baking soda to make a paste.
Roll into balls and let dry over night.

The benchmark is about 1 tablespoon for shoulder length hair, more if longer, 1tablespoon or less if shorter. So make the no-poo balls big enough to accommodate at least tablespoon's worth ( I would say 1.5 inch diameter balls would be good, huh?). If that is too little, you can always use another no-poo ball. I would think that making them too big wouldn't dry properly and it would crumble if you stored it.
Go to Top of Page

MustangSuzie
True Blue Farmgirl

634 Posts

Sarah
New London Missouri
USA
634 Posts

Posted - Feb 19 2007 :  3:03:48 PM  Show Profile  Send MustangSuzie a Yahoo! Message
Katrina...what kind of oil do you use on the ends of your hair? My ends get really dry and i haven't found anything yet that doesn't leave it greasy looking.

Blessings....
Sarah

"In our every deliberation, we must consider the impact of our decisions on the next seven generations." -From The Great Law Of The Iroquois Confederacy.

http://mustangsuzie.wordpress.com

Go to Top of Page

Persephone
True Blue Farmgirl

172 Posts

Katrina
Indiana
USA
172 Posts

Posted - Feb 19 2007 :  5:20:14 PM  Show Profile
I use both olive oil and coconut oil, but not together. How much oil are you using? You should only need a couple drops. Sometimes, I use a bit too much, and with coconut, it just absorbs in over the course of the day- if I use too much olive oil, it just makes them crunchy and oily- like I fried them- yuck!
Go to Top of Page

mum2caden
Farmgirl at Heart

3 Posts

Kerri
Toronto Ontario
Canada
3 Posts

Posted - Feb 20 2007 :  09:41:31 AM  Show Profile
I just tried this, using 2 tablespoons BS to 2 cups water in an old shampoo bottle. I didn't need it all, but most of it (my hair is closing in on waist length) After I rinsed it, my hair felt really heavy, so I used 1 tablespoon white vinegar- all I had- in one cup of water and poured it on. Rinsed well and that was it.

My hair wasn't any more difficult to comb out than usual which really surprised me. I do think I needed the vinegar rinse though, I think that is what made the difference. My hair dried faster than ever! I usually end up needed to blow dry at least a bit b/c it takes so long, but not today. And it looks and feels just as nice or nicer than when I shampoo.

My only worry is that I NEED to wash my hair everyday, and I don't know that I can do this routine everyday.. anyway, I really liked it and was pleasantly surprised.
Go to Top of Page

Persephone
True Blue Farmgirl

172 Posts

Katrina
Indiana
USA
172 Posts

Posted - Feb 20 2007 :  10:00:50 AM  Show Profile
Part of the no poo routine is rinsing with an acidic wash. It gets all the BS out of your hair, and makes your cuticle lie down flat. That makes your hair shiny.
Go to Top of Page

ArmyWifey
True Blue Farmgirl

712 Posts

Holly
Abilene KS
712 Posts

Posted - Feb 20 2007 :  10:59:16 AM  Show Profile
[quote]Originally posted by GaiasRose

I have started washing Grace's hair this way. Zoe I am still using a shampoo bar, because even at this age, she still has a bit of cradle cap left....
[size=1]

I saw a homeopathic remedy for cradle cap at the Whole Foods mkt this weekend -- might be worth a go!

Holly

As for me and my house, we will serve the Lord!
Go to Top of Page

BarefootGoatGirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1495 Posts

Corrine
North Carolina
USA
1495 Posts

Posted - Feb 20 2007 :  10:59:29 AM  Show Profile  Send BarefootGoatGirl a Yahoo! Message
I'll have to give the coconut oil a try...my hair is starting to look like it needs a trim and hubby hates for it to be cut. No matter who I go to, they always chop of much more than I am readily willing to part with.

Trina

'
Be thou diligent to know the state of thy flocks, and look well to thy herds. Proverbs 27:23
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 6 Here's to Your Health: Previous Topic Shampoo Free Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page