Go to Top of Page

BarefootGoatGirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1495 Posts

Corrine
North Carolina
USA
1495 Posts

Posted - Jan 18 2007 :  11:07:28 AM  Show Profile  Send BarefootGoatGirl a Yahoo! Message
While I am not worried about the chemical aspect of my shampoo (I already use an all natural bar shampoo) the money you could save on this is amazing. I'll have to give it a try. I wear my hair covered, so I only wash it every third day but with kids we go through a lot of shampoo. Hubby used the last of the baking soda in his bath the other night, so I'll have to get a new box in town this afternoon...TOWN! That ought to be a swear word. Everytime I turn around this week I am packing up my crew and heading to town!

Trina

'
Be thou diligent to know the state of thy flocks, and look well to thy herds. Proverbs 27:23
Go to Top of Page

GaiasRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2552 Posts

Tasha-Rose
St. Paul Minnesota
2552 Posts

Posted - Jan 18 2007 :  11:15:26 AM  Show Profile
well, yeah a dollar and change for a decent size box of baking soda and however much for either the store brand gallon of AVC or if youw ant to go pricier for the Braggs, it is still a savings. a HUGE savings!

~*~Brightest Blessings~*~
Tasha-Rose
blogs: http://gaiarose.wordpress.com
http://frugalwitch.wordpress.com
http://tasharose365.wordpress.com/
Go to Top of Page

KarenP
True Blue Farmgirl

666 Posts

Karen
Chippewa Falls Wisconsin
USA
666 Posts

Posted - Jan 18 2007 :  2:57:45 PM  Show Profile
Tried the baking Soda this morning, so far so good!
KarenP

"Purest Spring Water in the World"
Go to Top of Page

KellyA
True Blue Farmgirl

237 Posts

Kelly
Johnsonville NY
USA
237 Posts

Posted - Jan 20 2007 :  3:48:40 PM  Show Profile  Send KellyA an AOL message
...a word on the baking soda wash...I have a big problem with an itchy scalp during the winter, so I thought I would try this...my head was itch free for two days!!! Thank you for the tips...I will definitely keep doing this for the relief!

Kelly

When a cookbook is in hand, life is good!
Go to Top of Page

_Rebecca_
True Blue Farmgirl

568 Posts

Rebecca
OK
USA
568 Posts

Posted - Jan 20 2007 :  6:26:06 PM  Show Profile
yes, baking soda is healing, soothing & softening--I like to make a paste of it to use on my face to exfoiliate. I never buy anything else to exfoliate because baking soda is so cheap and it works so very well.

.·:*¨¨* :·.Rebecca.·:*¨¨* :·.
Wife of Jonathan, Mother of Joel, Caitlyn, Elia, Nathanael
Go to Top of Page

GaiasRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2552 Posts

Tasha-Rose
St. Paul Minnesota
2552 Posts

Posted - Jan 20 2007 :  8:30:45 PM  Show Profile
at the back to basics sustainability fair today, i met a couple of other people who no longer use shampoo and conditioner and haven't for anumer of years. One of them said she doesn't tell people that often, but I am all for freaking people out!!! I love telling people if it comes up!! It is just awesome! And now that I am using a homemade face cleanser, my ENTIRE showering/bathing routine is natural and loverly and I hardly even need lotion except on my hands and feet. Oh Yayness!

Tasha-Rose
blogs: http://gaiarose.wordpress.com
Go to Top of Page

yellojewl
True Blue Farmgirl

72 Posts

Amber
Hurley MO
USA
72 Posts

Posted - Jan 21 2007 :  07:48:06 AM  Show Profile
Okay, I'm jumping in on this too. I have read about shampoo bars made naturally, but not about no shampoo at all. I've got fine, short hair so it shouldn't take much. Thanks for all the info.
Go to Top of Page

ashcordes
True Blue Farmgirl

197 Posts

Ashley
Roann IN
USA
197 Posts

Posted - Jan 23 2007 :  08:40:55 AM  Show Profile
Tasha- Would you be willing to share how you make your face cleanser?
Go to Top of Page

GaiasRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2552 Posts

Tasha-Rose
St. Paul Minnesota
2552 Posts

Posted - Jan 23 2007 :  08:52:51 AM  Show Profile
I will tell you what is in it, but I am not willing to give proportions because it is going to be for sale on my website....it is all grains and herbs: oatmeal, rice bran, wheat germ, calendula and lavender. I also have one that is rosemary and mint.

Tasha-Rose

Blogs: http://gaiarose.wordpress.com
Homepage: http://mysticwoodsfarm.com
Go to Top of Page

ashcordes
True Blue Farmgirl

197 Posts

Ashley
Roann IN
USA
197 Posts

Posted - Jan 23 2007 :  09:41:34 AM  Show Profile
I'll just wait till I can buy it from ya....easier for me and I love supporting fellow farmgals in their ventures!
Go to Top of Page

MustangSuzie
True Blue Farmgirl

634 Posts

Sarah
New London Missouri
USA
634 Posts

Posted - Jan 23 2007 :  8:05:27 PM  Show Profile  Send MustangSuzie a Yahoo! Message
Be sure to let us know when your face scrub is available. I would like to try it too.

Sarah
Go to Top of Page

faithymom
True Blue Farmgirl

360 Posts

Faith
Sandpoint ID
USA
360 Posts

Posted - Jan 23 2007 :  10:40:58 PM  Show Profile
OK ladies... I'm interested to hear who is still doing this, for how long, and how it's working for you...especially those with long hair.
I'm intrigued and will try it (especially after my last 2 'bunk' shampoo purchases...they were awful) but my hair is about waist length and I'd like some feedback about tangles, frizzies, etc..

Thanks!
Faith

"All television is educational television. The only question is, what is it teaching?"-Fmr. FCC Commissioner Nicholas Johnson
Go to Top of Page

faithymom
True Blue Farmgirl

360 Posts

Faith
Sandpoint ID
USA
360 Posts

Posted - Jan 24 2007 :  12:49:19 PM  Show Profile
I tried it and my hair's still drying...

My initial impressions:
I used a comb on my hair for the first time in YEARS...and I didn't have to pull or yank it through and I also didn't notice any more hair on the comb than is usually on my brush.
It feels a bit heavier than usual, I don't know why...
I stopped blow-drying a month ago (misplaced the hair dryer after our trip...) so I'm used to this already and I only used it on my bangs, anyway...

I'm concerned about 'scalp-smell'... any insight? Do you have problems with this?

"All television is educational television. The only question is, what is it teaching?"-Fmr. FCC Commissioner Nicholas Johnson
Go to Top of Page

Beemoosie
True Blue Farmgirl

2077 Posts

Bonnie
New York
USA
2077 Posts

Posted - Jan 25 2007 :  03:05:06 AM  Show Profile
I think I gotta try this...

My soul magnifies the Lord, And my spirit rejoices in God my Savior. Luke 1:46,47
www.beequilting.blogspot.com
http://beemoosie-picture-diary.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Sweet Harvest Homestead
True Blue Farmgirl

279 Posts

Lindy
Stanfield NC
USA
279 Posts

Posted - Jan 25 2007 :  06:03:14 AM  Show Profile
okay girls you have me Very interested!
I have made our own soap for about 5 years now. I had always thought about my own shampoo. I am off to try your suggestions about the baking soda. Wonder if it will strip the color?
Lindy

www.sweetharvesthomestead.typepad.com
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Jan 25 2007 :  07:05:49 AM  Show Profile
I liked it, although my hair seemed more dull than usual. Could be the ACV rinse though. I will try it without that next time. It wasn't any more tangled than usual..not any less either, but I have sorta wavyish very long thick hair so that dosn't surprize me.
It felt very clean and soft though. I will let you know what I think without the rinse.
I don't color my hair so I don't know about the color stripping. Good question!
Jenny in Utah
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com

Edited by - Aunt Jenny on Jan 25 2007 07:06:38 AM
Go to Top of Page

faithymom
True Blue Farmgirl

360 Posts

Faith
Sandpoint ID
USA
360 Posts

Posted - Jan 25 2007 :  2:24:19 PM  Show Profile
Well, I am not totally sold on it yet, but I'll continue for a while to see if it gets better.
My hair was super 'fluffy'. It felt/looked like it did in November when I went back to wet old Eugene and my hair went absolutely frizz-crazy. I was walking around in a big puff-ball cloud. I'll have to check again for the de-frizz treatments, and maybe try to put some dressing on it...olive oil or something...with the ACV and the olive oil, it really will be dressing, won't it? LOL...add a little salt and garlic, mmm mmm...

Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Jan 25 2007 :  2:43:03 PM  Show Profile
Mine was much more staticky and fly away than normal too..it is like that here anyway with it being such a dry climate.

Jenny in Utah
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

_Rebecca_
True Blue Farmgirl

568 Posts

Rebecca
OK
USA
568 Posts

Posted - Jan 25 2007 :  4:21:39 PM  Show Profile
Yes! Baking soda will strip your color! It's abrasive.

.·:*¨¨* :·.Rebecca.·:*¨¨* :·.
Wife of Jonathan, Mother of Joel, Caitlyn, Elia, Nathanael
Go to Top of Page

Persephone
True Blue Farmgirl

172 Posts

Katrina
Indiana
USA
172 Posts

Posted - Jan 27 2007 :  10:49:06 AM  Show Profile
For shampoo, I use either- super expensive Terressentials shampoo, which is soap/detergent free, plain baking soda followed by an apple cider vinegar rinse, or a shampoo made out of one egg, a tablespoon of honey, and a tablespoon of vinegar- conditioned with either olive or coconut oil. On a less natural note, if my hair is really oily, I add a bit of baby shampoo to the baking soda. If you have really dry hair, use an oil in place of the honey.

I've tried this twice before, and quit both times because I was addicted to the cones in my pantene. My hair was super flyaway, and hard to comb, and yet heavy at the same time. This time, I used my egg mixture, and I haven't had those problems. If anyone is having the fly away issues, try the egg mixture and coconut oil as a conditioner. And really scrub your scalp- for longer than you think you need to.

Edited by - Persephone on Jan 27 2007 10:53:09 AM
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
True Blue Farmgirl

9324 Posts

Denise
Beavercreek Ohio
USA
9324 Posts

Posted - Jan 28 2007 :  2:40:27 PM  Show Profile
I've gotta try this! My hair is blonde, not white blonde but sort of that brassy yellow color which I do not like. It is growing out from a perm. I don't know why I put myself through that. :( It is very fine and thin and I've been wondering if this will make it flat. I can't stand that look.
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
True Blue Farmgirl

9324 Posts

Denise
Beavercreek Ohio
USA
9324 Posts

Posted - Jan 28 2007 :  3:20:45 PM  Show Profile
"I went to the market this weekend and stocked up on a few jars of Braggs"

I was wondering about this? What is it?
Also where do you get the essential oils you add?
Go to Top of Page

rosebud74a
True Blue Farmgirl

109 Posts

Stacy
Maryland NY
USA
109 Posts

Posted - Jan 28 2007 :  4:36:32 PM  Show Profile  Send rosebud74a an AOL message
whooohoo.. I tried this last night before dinner with some friends. I was impressed with the results. My hair didn't feel greasy or dry. I did feel somwhat heavier, from my natrual oils, but I felt as though it held style better than usual. I am going to keep this up. I like the idea of changing over to something natrual ever month of the year. Count me in!!

No one can make you feel inferior without your consent.
Eleanor Roosevelt, 'This Is My Story,' 1937

Go to Top of Page

MustangSuzie
True Blue Farmgirl

634 Posts

Sarah
New London Missouri
USA
634 Posts

Posted - Jan 28 2007 :  6:15:52 PM  Show Profile  Send MustangSuzie a Yahoo! Message
I tried this today and it worked great. I really tested it as I've been sick all weekend and hadn't washed my hair in almost 4 days. I'll admit I was a lil skeptical. My hair tends to be on the oily side but I didn't figure washing it was good on a fever. Anyhow, I put a lil twist on it and made some chamomile tea for the liquid to mix with the baking soda since I have blonde hair. I'm not sure if I really notice any difference from the chamomile or not, other than it's gotta be soothing. And I followed with the acv. My hair feels so soft. I'm hooked!!!

Sarah
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 6 Here's to Your Health: Previous Topic Shampoo Free Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page