Author A Farm of My Own: Previous Topic Round Houses Next Topic  

BarefootGoatGirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1495 Posts

Corrine
North Carolina
USA
1495 Posts

Posted - Jan 11 2007 :  09:56:30 AM  Show Profile  Send BarefootGoatGirl a Yahoo! Message
I have always loved round houses. Now hubby is talking about building a new home on our property (the house here is a wreck...fairly new but poorly built). Idealy, I want to live in a yurt, but we need to think about resale since we intend to move back to hubbys home state eventualy. So I found an old CountrySide mag with an article about Monotholitic Domes and checked out the website. Very inteteresting. http://www.monolithic.com/ I thought you girls might enjoy it too. They are supose to be very energy effecient and almost non-destructable.

Trina

'
Be thou diligent to know the state of thy flocks, and look well to thy herds. Proverbs 27:23

gregs_lil_farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

219 Posts

birdi
hartford me
USA
219 Posts

Posted - Jan 11 2007 :  10:05:05 AM  Show Profile  Send gregs_lil_farmgirl a Yahoo! Message
I've seen a few round houses and have been in a few. Most of them are just like normal houses inside, just outwardly round. Very unique indeed~ In florida there are a couple of them, that look like what your site has. Good luck in your venture. I am sure you will make it your own sweet little place no matter what you decide.

-Simple pleasures make my heart smile-
Go to Top of Page

GaiasRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2552 Posts

Tasha-Rose
St. Paul Minnesota
2552 Posts

Posted - Jan 11 2007 :  11:07:36 AM  Show Profile
Trina, be careful though. I use to work in the mortgage lending business and odd homes like dome homes and round homes are VERY hard to resell because it is tough to get comparables for an appraisal. A lot of appraisal companies and brokerages (mortgage and real estate alike) won't touch them for that very reason. I would wait if I were you, until you are in a home you are going ot stay in, that's just my opinion though. I Wouldn't want to see you get stuck some place you don't want to be because you can't sell your home.

~*~Brightest Blessings~*~
Tasha-Rose
blogs: http://gaiarose.wordpress.com
http://frugalwitch.wordpress.com
http://tasharose365.wordpress.com/
Go to Top of Page

ponyexpress
True Blue Farmgirl

320 Posts

Sandy
Kirkwood Missouri
USA
320 Posts

Posted - Jan 11 2007 :  1:38:04 PM  Show Profile
Tasha is right, it is wise to proceed with caution. But another site you can visit for ideas is Deltec Homes. They are panelized homes, more octagon than round, but can be built to withstand gale force winds!

I'd get a face lift - but then it wouldn't match my body!
Go to Top of Page

Libbie
Farmgirl Connection Cultivator

3579 Posts

Anne E.
Elsinore Utah
USA
3579 Posts

Posted - Jan 11 2007 :  2:31:12 PM  Show Profile
I stayed in a geodesic dome house for a week or so one time and it was really neat! I think they are modeled after Buckminster Fuller's carbon "bucky balls," that are supposedly one of the strongest "forms" around - I'll bet that the Deltec homes are really similar. I wonder, because of what seems like a possible resale issue, if you might consider taking the time that you are living on your current property to design your "dream dome," and them move and build? Just an idea... What a cool thing. I really liked the dome house I stayed in - they are so unusual from the outside - and really pretty with a tall flower garden surrounding them!

XOXO, Libbie

"Nothing is worth more than this day." - Goethe
Go to Top of Page

Amie C.
True Blue Farmgirl

2099 Posts

Finger Lakes Region NY
2099 Posts

Posted - Jan 12 2007 :  12:18:34 PM  Show Profile
Going back to your original thought that living in a yurt would be ideal...yurts are supposed to be somewhat portable/temporary, right? Maybe you could have your yurt and take it with you when you move. The current house could be the resale. And you could rent it out or use it for something else while you are still in your current location. Just a thought.
Go to Top of Page

Shirley
True Blue Farmgirl

734 Posts

Shirley
Olympia Wa
USA
734 Posts

Posted - Jan 12 2007 :  11:38:34 PM  Show Profile
I have a yurt, 28 feet across, the biggest one they make is 30 ft. Pacific yurts in Eugene, oregon.
I have it for my studio, I have everything in there except a toliet. Now, Living in one would be ok in the summer, but in the winter it would either be very cold or very expensive for heat, the wall are thin, and we do have insulation, and extra support for snow. Mine is not petitioned off, just 1 big room. you can petition them off ,but they are a small living area. I have part of my yarns, spinning wheels, basket making stuff in ther and eqipment for all the spinning carding, etc in there and its pretty full.
mine is made from marine canvas vinal. If you were going to make one yourrself from felted wool, then it would be warmer, , but that would be a lot of work LOL
Go to Top of Page

idgie
Farmgirl at Heart

5 Posts

Decatur GA
USA
5 Posts

Posted - Jan 13 2007 :  11:54:04 AM  Show Profile  Send idgie an AOL message
there were some cool small geodesic domes called the IcoPod and the DecoPod in ReadyMade magazine a while back. i thought it would be nice to have one for a studio. i just tried to find them because i bookmarked the site (www.icosavillage.net) and it doesn't come up, which makes me wonder if the company is not around any more. does anybody know how to build those 60's style multicolored domes? i remember reading they were built out of car tops at one of the communes, which doesn't sound very easy to me.
Go to Top of Page

beckels
True Blue Farmgirl

237 Posts

becky
warrington pa
USA
237 Posts

Posted - Jan 13 2007 :  5:45:15 PM  Show Profile
You should also check zoning in your area. In my area they may let you have a yurt as a studio but not a full time living structure.

beckels
Go to Top of Page
  A Farm of My Own: Previous Topic Round Houses Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page