Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Fabulous Farm Collectibles
 *Farmgirl Swap
 Kitchen-themed 10" sq fabric swap - Signups Closed
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author *Farmgirl Swap: Previous Topic Kitchen-themed 10" sq fabric swap - Signups Closed Next Topic
Page: of 9

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

4919 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
4919 Posts

Posted - Aug 20 2016 :  8:40:41 PM  Show Profile
My grandmother pickled watermelon rinds. They were sweet and pickly.
I remember that in the summer after Mother fed us breakfast, and we did our chores, out side we went to play with the neighborhood kids. I was the oldest at ten. Our home in the country had burned down and we had to live in town. Every morning the ladies would gather for coffee and a sweet treat, about ten. They became good friends. Then each mom would call her kids in for lunch. Mine insisted we stay out of the hot sun until about three. This was our quiet time. We read, painted by number, and played Old Maid. Then out we went.The next time we were called in was for supper. Than out to play some more until dark and bedtime. My mother always had starched curtains, even at 78 It was important to her. I think that having lived with so little during the depression, those ladies felt honored to have a home, family, and a bit of money to use. And since they did not leave home to work, their home was their work. My mother made all of our clothing, until she was satisfied I could make my own. In fact in my 17 years at home, they bought me two summer dresses, one coat and a short wedding dress. The only reason she bought two dresses for me was that her hands had become so painful to her she could not do it. Thankfully her hands became ok, and she was very productive, for many years afterward.

TexasGran
Let God's light shine through you every day.

Amazon Children's Books, look for my name:Marilyn Robinson Godfrey
Craftsy: patterns for farm stick animals under my name.

Edited by - TexasGran on Aug 20 2016 8:42:29 PM
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

7482 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
7482 Posts

Posted - Aug 20 2016 :  10:16:37 PM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message
You have such neat stories, Marilyn. Thank you for sharing.

Farmgirl hugs,
Farmgirl #1919
Farm Girl of the Month August 2015
Linda O
Lone Oak, TX

"Women are Angels, and when someone breaks our wings, we simply continue to fly . . . on a broomstick - we're flexible, like that."
Go to Top of Page

Madelena
True Blue Farmgirl

1919 Posts

Mary
Central TX
USA
1919 Posts

Posted - Aug 21 2016 :  04:14:34 AM  Show Profile
Beautiful memories, Marilyn. Thank you for sharing.

"There is no unbelief: Whoever plants a seed beneath the sod and waits to see it push away the clod, he trusts in God." (Kate Douglas Wiggin)
Go to Top of Page

Denise Ann
True Blue Farmgirl

831 Posts

Denise
Shoreview MN
USA
831 Posts

Posted - Aug 21 2016 :  05:35:13 AM  Show Profile
Marilyn,
I loved summer as a child, riding bikes, exploring the neighborhoods, being outside all day almost every day, we always found lots to do or would go to the library to get more books.

Denise Ann
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

4919 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
4919 Posts

Posted - Aug 21 2016 :  06:23:33 AM  Show Profile
Thanks ladies, I am glad I grew up in a time when it was safe to play out doors, visit with friends and be a child...all while living in a town with over a hundred oilfield drilling rigs running just outside our town.

TexasGran

Go to Top of Page

forgetmenot
True Blue Farmgirl

3602 Posts

Judith
Nora Springs IA
USA
3602 Posts

Posted - Aug 21 2016 :  08:37:54 AM  Show Profile
I received to more envelopes!

Christy, I received your recipe fabric. I'm sure I had one of those little tin cookie cutters. I remember my brother and I were home alone and tried to make chocolate cookies with that tiny cutter. We baked them for the usual amount of time. Hard as a rock! It was the only time he wouldn't eat something I made him. lol He couldn't bite into it.
The flower and chick fabric is really sweet!

Denise, I love that stove fabric. I would really love that 8 burner stove around the holidays! And, the vintage kitchen fabric..right up my aisle. In case you ladies haven't caught on..I so love the Russian dolls. And, boy do those mushrooms remind me of the 60's-70's ..all over kitchen decor back then!

Thank you, girls!

Farmgirl sister #3926

"Courage is not the absence of fear, but the belief that something is more important than fear." Ambrose Red Moon
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

7482 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
7482 Posts

Posted - Aug 21 2016 :  7:32:10 PM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message
We always played outside. And in my neighborhood growing up we had no fences between yards. We ran back and forth between them.

Farmgirl hugs,
Farmgirl #1919
Linda O
Lone Oak, TX

"Women are Angels, and when someone breaks our wings, we simply continue to fly . . . on a broomstick - we're flexible, like that."
Go to Top of Page

beachymom
True Blue Farmgirl

467 Posts

Kathy
Manchester Tennessee
USA
467 Posts

Posted - Aug 22 2016 :  06:32:25 AM  Show Profile
Had to be home before the street lights came on, or mom would stand in the front yard yelling our names!!

Ah- the good old days, when we were young and carefree.

Hugs and Squishies!!

Kathy

Farmgirl Sister #3983

Take care of the land and it will take care of you.
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

4919 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
4919 Posts

Posted - Aug 22 2016 :  07:24:30 AM  Show Profile
That is funny, Kathy. I guess we were close to home by dark. Some nights we would put a sheet up...(Our house was on a steep slope, so there were stairs leading down from a back porch.)...around the posts that held the porch up. Then we kids would get behind the sheet, with a flash light and preform for our parents, who were sitting in the dark in lawn chairs. We probably had thirty kids in our neighborhood. We were always busy. We lived on one of two flood control creeks. A great place to play...until it filled with angry waters, then we watched it roar from afar. Snyder was surrounded by buffalo wallows. In the 1800s it was called Hide Town, because of the stench of the hides piled up on the platform of the train depot...waiting for shipment.The wallows were created wherever a herd bedded down for a night. Flat land with tons of huge wallows...meant the town would flood, so two creeks were man made. Most of the town's in western Texas, where it is so flat, have drainage systems. Sunday nights and Wednesday nights walking home from church and Halloween were the only nights we ventured into adjoining streets after dark. Droves of kids in homemade costumes with pillow cases for bags, fanned out in hopes of getting candy, little goody bags, caramel apples and popcorn balls. YUM!

TexasGran

Edited by - TexasGran on Aug 22 2016 07:26:33 AM
Go to Top of Page

Denise Ann
True Blue Farmgirl

831 Posts

Denise
Shoreview MN
USA
831 Posts

Posted - Aug 22 2016 :  6:01:26 PM  Show Profile
It was all fun until mom or dad called for you and used the middle name, then you knew you were in trouble.

Denise Ann
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

7482 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
7482 Posts

Posted - Aug 23 2016 :  3:51:19 PM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message
All the mothers in my neighborhood had bells or whistles. The sound of those carried farther than the voice. LOL! Whenever one would sound everyone knew who was being called home.

Farmgirl hugs,
Farmgirl #1919
Linda O
Lone Oak, TX

Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

4919 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
4919 Posts

Posted - Aug 23 2016 :  6:54:35 PM  Show Profile
My husband's Aunt put two fingers in her mouth and the sound of her whistle was so shrill everyone came.

TexasGran

Go to Top of Page

HealingTouch
True Blue Farmgirl

3448 Posts

Darlene
Kunkletown Pa
USA
3448 Posts

Posted - Aug 23 2016 :  6:56:27 PM  Show Profile  Send HealingTouch a Yahoo! Message
All us kids were outside all day. Only time we went home was to eat and go to the bathroom. After supper and dishes back out until dark. My father built me a tree house so many nights all us girls would attempt to sleep out all night. Often we flew down the steps and into the house for the rest of the night. LOL! We walked all over town, rode our bikes everywhere,went ice skating ,sleigh riding,walked to school and slept at each other's houses. Every night one of us was eating at someone's house.We weren't afraid of getting abducted or anything else. Now You can't let your eyes off the kids.How sad.

Funny, I have a whistle that was my mothers and I use it to get my husbands attention when he's outside. LOL!

Be Blessed and Be a Blessing,
Darlene
Sister 1922

God first, everything else after!

When Satan's knocking at your door, just say "Jesus will you get that for me?"

When it gets to hard to stand, Kneel!

Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

4919 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
4919 Posts

Posted - Aug 23 2016 :  7:02:43 PM  Show Profile
It was fun to grow up back in the day, without a care in the world. Kids do not enjoy that luxury today. Yes it is sad.

TexasGran

Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

7482 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
7482 Posts

Posted - Aug 23 2016 :  7:51:42 PM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message
I agree, very sad. and so sad that we can't let our kids and grandkids just "live" like we did. Without a care in the world.

Farmgirl hugs,
Farmgirl #1919
Linda O
Lone Oak, TX

Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

4919 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
4919 Posts

Posted - Aug 23 2016 :  8:39:36 PM  Show Profile
Linda, this swap has helped us get to know one another better. Thanks for allowing us to take great memory adventures together, and joining in, too. It is fun.

TexasGran

Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

7482 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
7482 Posts

Posted - Aug 23 2016 :  8:42:03 PM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message
Thanks, Marilyn. Yes, I love the interspersed stories of our childhood years. Were we really children once? LOL!

Farmgirl hugs,
Farmgirl #1919
Linda O
Lone Oak, TX

Go to Top of Page

beachymom
True Blue Farmgirl

467 Posts

Kathy
Manchester Tennessee
USA
467 Posts

Posted - Aug 26 2016 :  6:15:05 PM  Show Profile
This may seem a bit weird but, It seems like I only got 16 fabrics. Can you email me the list of names so I can see if I accidentally added 2 squares to the wrong swap. Cause that would explain it.

Hugs and Squishies!!

Kathy

Farmgirl Sister #3983

Go to Top of Page

Denise Ann
True Blue Farmgirl

831 Posts

Denise
Shoreview MN
USA
831 Posts

Posted - Aug 26 2016 :  7:10:50 PM  Show Profile
If any one did not get my blocks let me know, I have a few extra I can send again.

Denise Ann
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

7482 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
7482 Posts

Posted - Aug 27 2016 :  07:35:50 AM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message
Kathy - You can see the list of names in the first post of this thread. There were 18 swappers, so you should be getting 17 envelopes in the mail plus your own squares for a total of 36 squares.

We are still waiting for Betty's and Sara's fabrics to arrive. Sara mailed them on the 15th, so they should be arriving soon. Betty posted about her snake bite, so hers will also be a little late.

Farmgirl hugs,
Farmgirl #1919
Linda O
Lone Oak, TX

Edited by - quiltee on Aug 27 2016 07:39:31 AM
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

7482 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
7482 Posts

Posted - Aug 27 2016 :  07:50:19 AM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message
Here is a list of the fabrics I've received so far - descriptions are very general:
veggies and utensils from Marilyn
recipes and small floral/chickens from Christy
stoves and retro coffee pot/stuff from Denise
ice cream and teal/beige kitchen from Judith
wine and butterflies from Kathleen
recipes and baking from Sherry
Polka dots and Eat @ Moms from Doris
Irma Harding and green words from Darlene
ladybugs and tiny flowers from Mary
pink bandana and black w/appliances from Kathy
apples and fruit words from Cristy
Let's Mix and grey appliances from Angie
pears and appliances from Becky
retro and red with words from Bev
black/white words and picture squares from Darlene
NOTE: from me you got 2 of these 4 - red/white checks w/food, olive oil, teal with words/tools, or white with kitchen stuff

Hope this helps!

Farmgirl hugs,
Farmgirl #1919
Linda O
Lone Oak, TX

Go to Top of Page

beachymom
True Blue Farmgirl

467 Posts

Kathy
Manchester Tennessee
USA
467 Posts

Posted - Aug 27 2016 :  4:27:48 PM  Show Profile
Thanks so much for taking time to get this together for crazy old me.

Now here's my problem...I got an envelope from Albuquerque with no name--black retro appliances & light yellow utensils...and an envelope from C Martin(?) with chickens & chickens...{love those}

My problem was mostly because I didn't keep the email you sent with all the addresses on it, so I couldn't check back later.

And...I'm sorry..I haven't been keeping up with the group, so I just didn't know what was happening. I hope everybody is OK & can forgive me.

Hugs and Squishies!!

Kathy

Farmgirl Sister #3983

Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

4919 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
4919 Posts

Posted - Aug 27 2016 :  4:40:26 PM  Show Profile
Kathy, the envelope with Martin in the corner was from Christy Martin in Michigan. We only have one lady in New Mexico and her name is Becky Dell.

TexasGran

Go to Top of Page

beachymom
True Blue Farmgirl

467 Posts

Kathy
Manchester Tennessee
USA
467 Posts

Posted - Aug 28 2016 :  05:34:38 AM  Show Profile
Then, I guess I'm just waiting for Sara's. Thanks

Hugs and Squishies!!

Kathy

Farmgirl Sister #3983

Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

4919 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
4919 Posts

Posted - Aug 28 2016 :  07:14:57 AM  Show Profile
Yes, Sara and Betty.

TexasGran

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 9 *Farmgirl Swap: Previous Topic Kitchen-themed 10" sq fabric swap - Signups Closed Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page