Nance in France
True Blue Farmgirl

1438 Posts

Nancy
St. Laurent de la Salanque
France
1438 Posts

Posted - Jan 11 2007 :  12:35:58 PM  Show Profile
Liz, you are truly welcome. I was happy enough to share my story and very heartened with all the responses: we here 'down on the farm' website really do care about each other, and naturally want to share things because of that. I always love when somebody tells something about themselves, because it begins to paint the portrait of who they/we are. Come on over, just remember we only have one and one half baths, which is a half more than I have in Norfolk!! Nance
Go to Top of Page

Shirley
True Blue Farmgirl

734 Posts

Shirley
Olympia Wa
USA
734 Posts

Posted - Jan 11 2007 :  12:40:14 PM  Show Profile
How interesting your stories are, keep em coming :)
thanks for sharing with us Nance in France
shirley
Go to Top of Page

Nance in France
True Blue Farmgirl

1438 Posts

Nancy
France
1438 Posts

Posted - Jan 11 2007 :  1:09:07 PM  Show Profile
Will do, Shirley, ESPECIALLY since YOU asked because that is also my mom's name and I love her more than I could ever say. "Never postpone joy" is something I try to keep at the front of my mind, because we might put things off for a later time that doesn't arrive! Live life with gusto, and snatch moss off of unsuspecting buildings at every opportunity! Have a great day! Nance
Go to Top of Page

Utahfarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1940 Posts

Portland Oregon
USA
1940 Posts

Posted - Jan 11 2007 :  1:17:29 PM  Show Profile
Holly! Stu and I spent our honeymoon in Paris a couple of years ago (we'll be married 8 years in March but we had to save up). Having spent most of his life in England with a lot of time in Paris, Stu knew his way around and we had a great time but OUR FAVORITE TIME was going to Rue Cler! We bought ham at the Maison du Jambon, fabulous bread and pastry at the bakery, fruit (grapes the size of six of ours put together and the sweetest strawberries I ever tasted), wine, and had an outdoor picnic. What a great time! It's good to hear other people know about Rue Cler.

Nance, isn't marrying at a "mature" age the best? Stu and I are so happy and we've learned so much from life that we have none of the problems we had the first time around.

love,
Patricia

Come visit my Etsy store at www.chezPatricia.etsy.com
Farmgirls do it organically!
Go to Top of Page

blueroses
True Blue Farmgirl

1323 Posts

Debbie
in the Pandhandle of Idaho
USA
1323 Posts

Posted - Jan 11 2007 :  4:45:00 PM  Show Profile
Oh, Nance,

I love your story. I'm such a romantic. And I love hearing about your travels and adventures in France and Norfolk. Thanks for sharing.

"You cannot find peace...by avoiding life."
Virginia Woolfe
Go to Top of Page

Phils Ann
True Blue Farmgirl

1095 Posts

Ann
Parsonsburg Maryland
USA
1095 Posts

Posted - Jan 11 2007 :  4:52:10 PM  Show Profile
Nance, what a romance! That's a wonderful story, and I'm so glad you shared. I've been wondering these same things... why are you there, and what do you do, etc. You are an adventurous woman!

Ann

There is a Redeemer.
Go to Top of Page

ArmyWifey
True Blue Farmgirl

712 Posts

Holly
Abilene KS
712 Posts

Posted - Jan 11 2007 :  9:31:45 PM  Show Profile
Nance,

I totally agree about Versailles! I knew it was big.........but pictures don't do justice! The fact that they rent BIKES to get around should have been a tip.........ya think? We did the palace and a guided tour, row boat on the canal and walked to le petit trinon but that was IT! Must have been 5 miles of walking and we didn't even see it all! I thought for sure I would lose weight on our 4 days in Paris with all the walking... the Metro,the steps up the Arc de Triomphe, the Louvre, the Eiffel Tower and everything in between (we parked the car when we got there and left it!) but I gained although I think it was in my calf muscles!!

As for me and my house, we will serve the Lord!
Go to Top of Page

Nance in France
True Blue Farmgirl

1438 Posts

Nancy
France
1438 Posts

Posted - Jan 12 2007 :  05:00:23 AM  Show Profile
Patricia, yes, marrying at a more mature age is the best; they say the sweetest music is played on an old violin, and the best soups are made in old/seasoned pots! Holly, remember that book French Women Don't Get Fat??? They can't eat because they're always gasping for breath from all that walking, ha! Thanks for all the sweet things you've posted, ladies. Have a great day!! Nance
Go to Top of Page

Utahfarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1940 Posts

Portland Oregon
USA
1940 Posts

Posted - Jan 13 2007 :  11:16:42 AM  Show Profile
Well, Nance, I wouldn't say OLD exactly...mature is OK, seasoned makes me feel like a pot roast....Hm. BTW, do you know of a magazine called "Marie Claire Idees?" It's always full of great needlework projects. It's in French, of course, but I manage OK. I can get it here sometimes. Do you get it on the newsstands there? That's where I found the first one in Paris.

Go to Top of Page

Nance in France
True Blue Farmgirl

1438 Posts

Nancy
France
1438 Posts

Posted - Jan 14 2007 :  04:12:05 AM  Show Profile
Greetings, Patricia. Yes, I LOVE that magazine and snatch it up whenever I see it (think it is a quarterly mag). That's the one that I found the design for those cute ghosts I made out of vintage linen. I subscribe to one really awesome garden mag which also comes out only quarterly, and buy two or three off the shelf monthly.....helps to practice my French when I'm eagerly trying to read something interesting instead of just 'studying'! Have a great day! Nance
Go to Top of Page

Utahfarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1940 Posts

Portland Oregon
USA
1940 Posts

Posted - Jan 14 2007 :  3:22:51 PM  Show Profile
Nance, do you have any back issues that you'd be willing to sell or trade? I've only been able to get three or four in the last few years. Merci! Or any embroidery ones?
Au Revoir!
P

Go to Top of Page

Nance in France
True Blue Farmgirl

1438 Posts

Nancy
France
1438 Posts

Posted - Jan 15 2007 :  08:13:02 AM  Show Profile
Greetings, all! Patricia, do you mean back issues of Marie Claire Idees or a gardening mag? Since I have only been living in France less than two years (and then not during the entire year) I only have a few issues of Idees right now. I left one or two Marie claire Idees in Norfolk and have a couple here, and will look and see if I can part with them. If so we work something out, and also for future issues if you want; I will be happy to buy an extra issue for you and send it in exchange for postage or something. Or look at the other magazines dedicated to embroidery if you want. Like the Beatles said, "We can work it out"! Have a great Monday everybody; Nance
Go to Top of Page

Utahfarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1940 Posts

Portland Oregon
USA
1940 Posts

Posted - Jan 15 2007 :  10:28:11 AM  Show Profile
Woo hoo!! I meant Idees. I'm limited to container gardening at this point and frankly, it's a relief. Just see what you're willing to part with. If none, than if you'd see what's available on the newstands in embroidery magazines, it would be a blessing. I will of course pay postage and the cost of the magazine (s) or trade something if you'd rather. Wheeeee! I'm so excited! I wish I could come and pick them up myself. Sigh. Maybe later.

Farmgirl hug,
Patricia

Go to Top of Page

daffodil dreamer
True Blue Farmgirl

805 Posts

Jayne
Hamilton Victoria
Australia
805 Posts

Posted - Jan 15 2007 :  3:14:13 PM  Show Profile
Hi Nance,
Thanks so much for sharing your lovely story - so romantic! I'm also sure there is a page-turner novel or Hallmark movie there waiting to happen! I loved your motto "Never postpone joy" - I totally agree.
Best wishes,
Jayne
Go to Top of Page

Nance in France
True Blue Farmgirl

1438 Posts

Nancy
France
1438 Posts

Posted - Jan 16 2007 :  01:38:00 AM  Show Profile
Bonjour, gal pals! Thanks for the kind words, Jayne; hope you had a merry Christmas despite the summer weather....last christmas in Australia was strange for me, weatherwise! Yeah, who knew eating Chinese food could change my life? HA And Patricia, so glad you posted back right away because we're headed to the grocery store this morning and they have a humongous book and magazine section so I will buy you at least one embroidery mag and also look through my old Idees mags. SO happy to help you out and I wish you could come and get them in person; too! We'd have a ball. See ya'll later! Nance
Go to Top of Page

Utahfarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1940 Posts

Portland Oregon
USA
1940 Posts

Posted - Jan 16 2007 :  11:09:34 AM  Show Profile
oooooooooooooohhhhhhhh! Can't wait to see what you come up with!! Let me know what you'd like from here! Well, I now have a new goal - go shopping with Nance in France!

Farmgirl hug,
P

Go to Top of Page

Nance in France
True Blue Farmgirl

1438 Posts

Nancy
France
1438 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2007 :  04:02:28 AM  Show Profile
Yes indeedy! It's fun to hunt for things for friends that you hope they will like. I bought you a bee-utiful mag yesterday with lovely embroidery designs and lots of iron on transfers included. I bought the current issue of Marie Claire Idées in Paris on the way here....before this thread started and GOTTA get it for you. It's a keeper for sure! The hunt continues, Patricia. Nance
Go to Top of Page

Nancy Gartenman
True Blue Farmgirl

9093 Posts

Nancy
West Seneca New York
USA
9093 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2007 :  05:06:03 AM  Show Profile
Nance, don't forget I love postcards!! Got my farm girl bulletin board to feed and my farm girl scrapbook.
What is the weather like there in France anyway? Do you walk to places you shop or are you out side the shopping areas, Boy you have to post pictures, I want to see your area!
NANCY JO

www.Nancy-Jo.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Utahfarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1940 Posts

Portland Oregon
USA
1940 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2007 :  11:52:43 AM  Show Profile
Nance, I am so excited I'm going to throw up!!! Woo hoo!!! When you get together my precious package, let me know how much to send you including postage (first class - don't want to trust this precious thing to chance) and if I can trade anything for you. Woo hoo! (She said again)

How about showing us some photos of you and your Honey and maybe your home? I told Stu last night the next time we get some $$ to save for something wonderful I want to go visit you. He said OK, sounds good. So maybe by the time we go on Medicare....

Go to Top of Page

Nance in France
True Blue Farmgirl

1438 Posts

Nancy
France
1438 Posts

Posted - Jan 18 2007 :  03:23:53 AM  Show Profile
Bonjour you guys, oops, I mean mes amis (my friends, in English). Since André bought a digital camera last fall I will definitely get cracking on posting some neat sites for you all to see, including our home. Nancy Jo, I could never forget you! I'd be glad to send another postcard; do you have any favorite things you like, such as flowers, or old buildings, or food vignettes, certain animals? The postcards here are spectacular compared with what I usually see back home. Patricia, we are heading to Perpignan after lunch today (nearest big town) to look for a jazz CD for my dad's 80th birthday, and a coupla other things, so I hope to come back and post that I've scored another copy of the mag for you.

And since we live in a small village (7,000 residents approx) we can walk to shop. We walk to the bakery and I gotta tell you guys, one of the women who works there could almost double for Jennifer Aniston! I remarked on that to hubby months ago, the first time I saw her, but he doesn't know what Ms. A looks like. As a funny coincidence last night he clicked on a channel that was playing a rerun of Friends, and when he saw Aniston his mouth fell open. "SEE, WHAT DID I TELL YOU!!" The town has two open air markets weekly and I sometimes stroll over there on Sunday. The post office is also a brisk walk away, too; I think most small towns are like this so that it is possible to live without a car definitely. Doctors even make housecalls still! Speaking of doctors, I went for a mammogram yesterday and let's just say I had a simply smashing time! AND the technician was a guy, a first for me, so when he told me to take off the shirt and bra I complied, and said (in French) "Let the good times roll". He looked at me in surprise and then grinned when he saw my smile; for women over 50 it is a free procedure here, which is great. Retired people/senior citizens also do not pay a co-pay for an office visit or for prescriptions; something I wish America would look into. More later; hope everybody has a great day! Nance

Go to Top of Page

Nancy Gartenman
True Blue Farmgirl

9093 Posts

Nancy
West Seneca New York
USA
9093 Posts

Posted - Jan 18 2007 :  09:24:36 AM  Show Profile
Nance,
Yep really hope you can post some pictures soon, would love to see where you live, both there and in the states.
Just any pretty postcards, I'll let you pick. You can just bring them home with you and mail them in the states if that is better.
Been working in my laundry room for the last few days, wouldn't you think I could find something better to do?
Look forward to your morning posts, you usually get here before the rest of us.
NANCY JO

www.Nancy-Jo.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Nance in France
True Blue Farmgirl

1438 Posts

Nancy
France
1438 Posts

Posted - Jan 18 2007 :  09:34:02 AM  Show Profile
Nancy Jo, I get here before ya'll because France is six hours ahead of our US time zone. I notice I miss out on giveaways and barters because while ya'll are jump and jivin' I'm sleeping, dang it all! Ok, I will find some cards that I think are beautiful and we will see if you agree! Nance
Go to Top of Page

Utahfarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1940 Posts

Portland Oregon
USA
1940 Posts

Posted - Jan 18 2007 :  12:55:18 PM  Show Profile
Nance, Yes, you get to the site before we do because you get morning before we do! It's always great to log on and see something from you already there. Stu had to call Cambridge last week and he had to wake up at 2:30 am to place the call. (argh) It seems the Physics department has only a few staff people and they keep specific hours that are not early ones. Hm.

I remember the roads in France. (insert hysterical laughter here). Stu is a big vintage Euro race car nut and he's showed me some of the roads they raced on in Italy. I"d be terrified to drive on them much less race. They raced on regular roads, no special arenas, right through the little towns and villages! In these creaky old time cars. In Paris, people park their tiny cars on the sidewalks and sometimes double or triple park. Stu says in Europe, particularly in Paris, the public transport is so good you never need a car unless you're going out of town somewhere.

Can't wait to see those photos!!

Love,
P

Go to Top of Page

Nance in France
True Blue Farmgirl

1438 Posts

Nancy
France
1438 Posts

Posted - Jan 19 2007 :  02:14:31 AM  Show Profile
Bonjour and TGIF everybody; hope ya'll are up by now, after all it IS 5 a.m. on the east coast!! Patricia, I snatched up the cool Marie Claire Idées mag yesterday afternoon!! We'll have to email each other to work out the logistics!

I remember the first cab ride in Paris. When it was over I nearly kissed the driver.....but instead just congratulated him on his prowess behind the wheel, which he found amusing! If they wove in and out any more, they'd need a freakin' loom (weak joke, I know). Nance
Go to Top of Page

Beemoosie
True Blue Farmgirl

2077 Posts

Bonnie
New York
USA
2077 Posts

Posted - Jan 19 2007 :  03:16:26 AM  Show Profile
oh how funny, I just emailed you to ask what time it is there, we always seem to be here at the same time!

My soul magnifies the Lord, And my spirit rejoices in God my Savior. Luke 1:46,47
www.beequilting.blogspot.com
http://beemoosie-picture-diary.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Across the Fence: Previous Topic Nance, back in France! Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page