Nance in France
True Blue Farmgirl

1438 Posts

Nancy
St. Laurent de la Salanque
France
1438 Posts

Posted - Jan 10 2007 :  09:43:14 AM  Show Profile
Bonjour everybody! Got here safe and sound, but man are we beat; I feel (and look) like I've been "rode hard and put up wet"! We've been up for around 30 hours, with a cat nap here and there. We had to kill about four hours before the train left Paris, so in the station I went to the book/magazine shop to get one for Andre to read and four for me, including the first issue of a neat looking magazine called "Brocante", which is French for junk or flea market stuff!!! The house smells like "eau de cats" so all the windows are open now; but it is in the low 50s so not bad at all. Hubby's gonna light a fire in the chimney after he fixes dinner. The big lamp in the dining room that was made out of a glass jug filled with potpourri fell over (the shade has always been wobbly and Andre jeririgged it with duct tape a thousand years ago, so my welcome home after being here for twenty minutes was the broom and dustpan. On the upside, he said "Well, no big deal: Now you get to buy something you really love to put there".

One of my huge collection of three orchids is actually blooming! The cats seem pleased that their servants are back. How cool to be able to knit while waiting to board the plane in DC! I got a start on a new shawl that I will leave here, so I don't have to keep lugging my favorite shawl back and forth across the ocean. "O bed, o bed, delicious bed; heaven on earth to the weary head". See ya'll tomorrow, Love, Nance

Leezard
True Blue Farmgirl

950 Posts

Elizabeth
Novi MI
USA
950 Posts

Posted - Jan 10 2007 :  09:57:20 AM  Show Profile
Well, welcome back to France! Glad you had a safe trip and arrived to not too much of a mess. Would you mind telling me more about yourself Nance? What do you do in France? How long have you lived there? etc... I'm quite interested in people who live overseas and in particular France and Italy so it's neat to hear about those things. I tried to do a search for a post you might have made on the welcome board telling your story but I couldn't find one.

http://ruby--slippers.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Nancy Gartenman
True Blue Farmgirl

9093 Posts

Nancy
West Seneca New York
USA
9093 Posts

Posted - Jan 10 2007 :  10:04:14 AM  Show Profile
Nance,
Glad you are home safe and sound!! You know I would love to see pictures of where you live and DIG! Will you be staying put now until your next visit to the states? Who was looking after you cats while you were gone? OK, Too much coffee or nosey neighbor which am I? Well anyway, will look forward to your latest updates from "OVER THERE".
NANCY JO

www.Nancy-Jo.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - Jan 10 2007 :  10:27:01 AM  Show Profile
Happy day, Nance! So glad you made it safely back to lovley France.
Sounds like you have some wonderful days ahead, and hope that the cats haven't taken over TOO much, as they are want to do.

Happy New Year!
J

Just think of all of the roads there are...all of the things I haven't seen....yet.
Go to Top of Page

Nance in France
True Blue Farmgirl

1438 Posts

Nancy
France
1438 Posts

Posted - Jan 10 2007 :  10:29:57 AM  Show Profile
Hey, girlfriends! So glad to get back in front of the NEW computer André bought after I'd gone home to Norfolk with my mom last October! Nancy Jo, I thought of you when we were hanging out in a coffee shop in the Paris train station, sipping, reading and killing time. And oh boy did that "sho nuff" croissant taste good! The coffee here could raise the dead, and that is no lie: I thought of you because you'd said once that you accompished so much by being fueld on caffeine. One cup of this stuff and you could embroider a cozy to fit over your HOUSE, girlfriend!

I know I told my fascinating (to me anyway) story once upon a time here at the website, but will be happy to sing it again. About three and a half years ago I parted company with a husband who had a brain fade concerning the fidelity part of the vows....anyway; I formed a girlfriends supper club where we'd rotate houses and bring pot luck and sit around and chat. My girlfriend across the street from me had gone through a similar situation with her husband. I hardly knew her but asked my friends if I could invite her to join us one time, this after eating a fortune cookie that said "including others in your life will bring you great happiness".........oh shoot! Hubby just hailed me for dinner....I will finish this a bit later, and thanks for being interested! Got lots to share! Nance
Go to Top of Page

Nance in France
True Blue Farmgirl

1438 Posts

Nancy
France
1438 Posts

Posted - Jan 10 2007 :  11:56:03 AM  Show Profile
ANYWAY, as I was saying before I was so charmingly interrupted by my hubby who I secretly call "Chef Boyardee", because he is such a good cook and loves to; I asked my French neighbor, Veronique, in the summer of 2003 if she would like to come over to my house for dinner with some of my girlfriends; she fit right in, needless to say, and a good friendship began. About six months later, she announced that her father (widowed) was coming for a six weeks visit, during which time she and a friend were both turning 40 and she had decided to throw a big party and invited us gals: I could hardly decline,living right across the street, and my youngest son was visiting me from Florida and said he'd go with me. Well, he ended up coming home late, which possibly means that he blew me off, but another one of the gal dinner pals stopped by my house first; so we ventured across the street together. After being there about 10 minutes I, in the spirit of being neighborly, asked Vero to introduce me to her father. She tapped him on the shoulder and he turned and took my hand and the rest is history. We could HARDLY communicate, so we always had a French/English dictionary at the ready! But we were inseperable; Vero even said "I don't know what you've done to my dad but he is different". I agreed to take early retirement from my job when I turned 50 in september, 2005. A REALLY big freaky life changing decision, let me tell you! We've been married almost two years now and have had the most delightful effect on each other. When we first started talking the "M" word I said I wanted an equitable marriage, part of the time in my home and the rest of the year in his or traveling. We visited Singapore on the way to Australia last Christmas, he's shown me some of the most breathtaking places in France, and later this spring he plans to take me to Italy for a week. During our stays in Norfolk, he wants to travel and see the western part of the US. I have always been a "nester", inexplicably tied emotionally to my home (which was my paternal grandma's home), so this has been a gutwrenching and exhilarating experience for me, one that I am so thankful for now.

As far as managing two households, my sizeable orchid collection in Norfolk is watered by Vero and the occasional friend who volunteers to help; our French cats are fed by a nice neighbor for a nominal fee. Nancy Jo, the ground is CRAP here in our yard. GREAT for vineyards, but heck to try to ram a shovel into! Imagine the cartoon guy who plunges a shovel into unrelenting earth::::the tremors start at the feet and work their way up the body: that was me last summer! I cried briefly before trying to figure out another way to get my horticultural fix. CONTAINER GARDENING, BABY!!! And I started a little compost pile also. I also 'borrowed' some moss from an ancient site, which is happily growing in a jelly jar turned sideways! If I can get a few raised beds installed I'll be in heaven, but then there is always the SNAIL problem. THIS could be why the French eat them so much, to get them outta the gardens! A little butter and garlic in a saucepan, and the lilies are saved! I hope I've answered your questions in an entertaining way: I am just as eager to learn about my farm gal friends so if you want to know anything else, ask away! Going to bed now at 9 pm but I've been up for about a day and a half; and I am having to hit the delete key too often. Have a great day you guys. Nance
Go to Top of Page

therusticcottage
True Blue Farmgirl

4439 Posts

Kay
Vancouver WA
USA
4439 Posts

Posted - Jan 10 2007 :  12:04:34 PM  Show Profile
Nance -- I'm so glad to hear you story. I've always wondered about it. So glad that you made it to France safe and sound. How lucky you are to be able to experience living in two different countries.

The Rustic Cottage Etsy Shop http://therusticcottage.etsy.com
Picture A Day Blog http://rcpicaday.blogspot.com
http://www.homesteadblogger.com/therusticcottage/
Go to Top of Page

Leezard
True Blue Farmgirl

950 Posts

Elizabeth
Novi MI
USA
950 Posts

Posted - Jan 10 2007 :  12:05:33 PM  Show Profile
Wow, what a story! Thank you so much for sharing How much time do you spend in France and at your home in the US? Did you learn French? Really, I just have to say that you've got an amazing story to tell there and thank you again!

Go to Top of Page

Nancy Gartenman
True Blue Farmgirl

9093 Posts

Nancy
West Seneca New York
USA
9093 Posts

Posted - Jan 10 2007 :  12:36:45 PM  Show Profile
Good story Nance, and glad to know it all. Now if you should come to visit we have all the past covered and can go directly to the thrift store or the garden center.
NANCY JO

www.Nancy-Jo.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

cmandle
True Blue Farmgirl

846 Posts

Catherine
Minneapolis MN
846 Posts

Posted - Jan 10 2007 :  12:46:04 PM  Show Profile
Very romantic story! Thanks for sharing!!

Catherine

http://yogurtandgranola.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

ponyexpress
True Blue Farmgirl

320 Posts

Sandy
Kirkwood Missouri
USA
320 Posts

Posted - Jan 10 2007 :  12:50:01 PM  Show Profile
What a wonderful story...I know there's a storyline for a book in there somewhere....maybe if you contacted Danielle Steele? ;-D I took French in high school but all I can muster up from memory now is "oui, oui"

I'd get a face lift - but then it wouldn't match my body!
Go to Top of Page

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - Jan 10 2007 :  12:53:54 PM  Show Profile
Gosh. That was better than the book I'm reading!!!

Thanks so much for sharing, Nance. I LOVE a LOVE story!!!!

I personally would like to see some photos of you and your man, and of your home (both near and far :)) and kitties.

Just think of all of the roads there are...all of the things I haven't seen....yet.
Go to Top of Page

jo Thompson
True Blue Farmgirl

603 Posts

Jo
the mountainside of the Chugach in Alaska
USA
603 Posts

Posted - Jan 10 2007 :  2:16:53 PM  Show Profile
Nance, you are a wild woman...... I left the northwest for an alaskan and thought THAT was adventurous. I LOVE France, spent five weeks there wandering right before 9/11, keep thinking I'll shoot back there for a two weeker with the now spouse fella Paul. He's a great cook as well. Thank heaven I married a cook, my first husband didn't set foot in the kitchen for 19 years, he just grunted when he was hungry. I keep down loading the french podcasts, wish I'd take the time to learn........ jo

north to alaska.....
Go to Top of Page

Nicie
True Blue Farmgirl

185 Posts

Denise
Lincoln NE
USA
185 Posts

Posted - Jan 10 2007 :  3:47:20 PM  Show Profile
Thanks for sharing your wonderful story.

Denise
Go to Top of Page

ArmyWifey
True Blue Farmgirl

712 Posts

Holly
Abilene KS
712 Posts

Posted - Jan 10 2007 :  4:09:30 PM  Show Profile
Glad you arrived safely! I hope you got the Christmas Card before you left. Our friends who live in Germany were just in Paris this last week with family....but all their fam wanted to see was Verseilles and the Louvre! Sigh. When we went to Paris after hubbies first tour in Iraq we stayed for 4 days and did all the typical sites and then off to Giverny to Monet's garden and Reims on the way back for Tattinger Cellers and the cathedral! A lovely time! My favorite though was Rue Cler's market!

Blessings,

Holly

As for me and my house, we will serve the Lord!
Go to Top of Page

cmandle
True Blue Farmgirl

846 Posts

Catherine
Minneapolis MN
846 Posts

Posted - Jan 10 2007 :  4:29:57 PM  Show Profile
Nance, what language do you and your French hubby use as your primary? French while in France, English over here or a mix?

Catherine

http://yogurtandgranola.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Sweet Harvest Homestead
True Blue Farmgirl

279 Posts

Lindy
Stanfield NC
USA
279 Posts

Posted - Jan 10 2007 :  4:55:03 PM  Show Profile
Hey Nance!
Glad you are back!
We went to Nance, France last year. I know everyone thought I was a hick because I have such a thick southern accent. We went to Germany first and a young college student who's father worked for the same company that my DH works for offered to take the children and I on a tour of Aachen. Brave Fella. Anyway, he asked where we were going next and I replied in my thickest drawl "wheah goin on ova ta Nahancy, France"! He then looked at me rather uppity like and replied " That is pronounced Nance!. Ha Ha!
We also went to Sagimines (sp?) Very nice countires France and Germany!
Lindy

www.sweetharvesthomestead.typepad.com
Go to Top of Page

lamarguerite farm
True Blue Farmgirl

649 Posts

missy
Battle Ground Wa
USA
649 Posts

Posted - Jan 10 2007 :  5:30:47 PM  Show Profile
Thanks for sharing your wonderful love story and traveling adventures. You are so blessed to be able to travel the way you do. I'll bet france is so beautiful.

Blessings,

Missy

If you have a dream, even if you don't feel qualified to accomplish it, just try your hardest.-Maggie Jensen
http://18happyhens.blogspot.com
http://LamargueriteFarm.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Tina Michelle
True Blue Farmgirl

6948 Posts

Tina
sunshine state FL
USA
6948 Posts

Posted - Jan 10 2007 :  5:47:05 PM  Show Profile
thank you for sharing your story, really enjoyed it.

~Seize the Day! Live, Love, Laugh~
Go to Top of Page

wovenheart
True Blue Farmgirl

80 Posts

Dona
Washington State
USA
80 Posts

Posted - Jan 10 2007 :  6:08:05 PM  Show Profile
How romantic! Wonderful story!

"It's the beauty that thrills me with wonder...It's the stillness that fill me with peace."
Go to Top of Page

Beemoosie
True Blue Farmgirl

2077 Posts

Bonnie
New York
USA
2077 Posts

Posted - Jan 11 2007 :  03:14:46 AM  Show Profile
What an incredible story, Nance! Thank you for sharing!

My soul magnifies the Lord, And my spirit rejoices in God my Savior. Luke 1:46,47
www.beequilting.blogspot.com
http://beemoosie-picture-diary.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

TheSoapMaven
True Blue Farmgirl

691 Posts

Susan
LA
USA
691 Posts

Posted - Jan 11 2007 :  04:23:41 AM  Show Profile  Send TheSoapMaven a Yahoo! Message
OH Nance! I am so happy you are happily home! Do tell us more...pictures please, pretty please??? As I told you in an email, our family is planning a trip abroad. My husband will be leaving for Tunisia sometime in March and we will have more definite plans then. If/when we arrive in France I would dearly love to get together. We have inquired about a house in Tarn to let for a month or so. But that is so far down the line, who know what will/can happen.

I can totally relate to the being a homebody. My best days are when I dont have to leave my house. Things have been a whirlwind around here with all the computer issues but I do want to stay in touch with you.

Blessings to you and yours!

Susan
http://www.thesoapmaven.com
http://notquitejunecleaver.com
Go to Top of Page

Mumof3
True Blue Farmgirl

3890 Posts

Karin
Ellenwood GA
USA
3890 Posts

Posted - Jan 11 2007 :  06:19:19 AM  Show Profile
What a lovely story, Nance!! So sweet and romantic. You are a very blessed woman. :)

Karin
Go to Top of Page

lamamama
True Blue Farmgirl

255 Posts

Melanie
CA
USA
255 Posts

Posted - Jan 11 2007 :  10:07:28 AM  Show Profile
Thank you Nancy, for sharing your wonderful story....... I so enjoyed reading it!
And I would love to hear more of your life there in France. I've been a Francophile since the age of 3 - much to the amazement of my Ky. parents - & have always wanted to live there for a year or 2. Naturally, I think you're very lucky! And I'm truly happy for you, too. :)
All the best,
Melanie
Go to Top of Page

Nance in France
True Blue Farmgirl

1438 Posts

Nancy
France
1438 Posts

Posted - Jan 11 2007 :  11:21:52 AM  Show Profile
Bonjour again, gal pals! I must say, for all my joking around here on the site, I am really touched by so many of my farmsite friends being interested enough to even post a response! We just got back from a quick shopping trip in Spain and I decided to log on and see what everybody's up to. When I told André about the genuinely enthusiastic posts, I got a REAL French kiss, let me tell you! And Susan; André knows the Tarn region like the back of his hand. It is beautiful with lots of farms and petite villages. There is also an area called the "Gorge du Tarn" which is a gorge with NARROW wind-y roads along the River Tarn: I remember it well, since André decided to take a detour off of the smooth straight highway during my 2 week honeymoon visit/vacation in 2005 and show me how beautiful it was. It was breathtakingly spectacular; but the main sensation I recall was the fear that I was going to throw up in my brand new husband's car. When we finally reached home and I joined him on the patio (after a bathroom pitstop) I told him I loved him: "oh thank goodness, I was worried." "Why?" I asked. "When I looked at you while driving through the Gorge du Tarn your face was completely white, and I thought perhaps you decided you'd made a mistake to marry me."

I can't remember who wanted to know what, so here is an all inclusive bit of blah blah cis boom bah. I also took two years of high school French but that was 35 years ago, and when André took my hand for the first time I wanted to impress him so I said "Bonjour, je m'appelle Nanette", which translates "Hello, my name is Nanette", which is what my teacher dubbed me. THAT and the french word for french fries (which actually originated in Belgium) and "where is the library?" is about all I could muster up, which is why we lugged around a french/english dictionary like an American Express card (remember, 'don't leave home without it'!) for a good long while. While still holding my hand that first moment of introduction, he obviously believed I actually could SPEAK French and launched off into Lord knows what. All I remember of that embarrassing Hallmark moment was yelling to Vero "Help me! he's said a whole paragraph!!!" Enter the dictionary! I had a French friend of Veronique's tutor me weekly for two months, right after we'd married. We agreed to a loose 50-50 arrangement and so far we've lived in France 7 months for the 5 in Norfolk, so I'm not complaining. During our recent 3 month stay he enjoyed himself immensely and really began to feel "at home" there, even to the point of being slightly disappointed that our time was up! And I am beginning to feel like I really belong here in our home in France and not just visiting a nice place. My hat is off to anybody who can visit Versailles and not need life support afterwards. MAN, what a palace and the immense gardens! My mom and I were going to visit the Louvre before we left, but we were going to walk there from the hotel and it was raining just a little too hard. It is funny; after André left a month after we met, he called me twice a day and even emailed me at my office. And even this October while I was in Norfolk he called twice daily. What a guy! Anyway, he said he was shocked to discover that even when he THOUGHT about me, he thought in English! He speaks mostly English to me and I try to speak French back to him. We both need the continual practice, certainly; and we've both progressed alot more than I would have thought in this short time. People comfortable in a language generally speak quickly, which is why both of us can speak more easily than we understand others talking in the foreign language.

And he even bought a digital camera while I was in Norfolk ahead of him so if I ever figure out how to post a picture I will! And I took a peek at my makeshift compost pile that I started last June and it is lovely lovely DIRT ready to be flung into action! Now if I could just scare off those snails....... Have a great day everybody! Nance
Go to Top of Page

Leezard
True Blue Farmgirl

950 Posts

Elizabeth
Novi MI
USA
950 Posts

Posted - Jan 11 2007 :  11:44:01 AM  Show Profile
So maybe we'll have to plan a field trip to visit Nance in France Thank you so much for sharing all of this with us, I am so glad I asked because it's all so interesting to read about!

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Across the Fence: Previous Topic Nance, back in France! Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page