Author Garden Gate: Previous Topic Zoning Out! Next Topic  

Rosemary
True Blue Farmgirl

1825 Posts

Virginia
USA
1825 Posts

Posted - Jan 09 2007 :  11:28:30 AM  Show Profile
After living 59+ years of my life in Zone 7, I now find my farm is considered Zone 6. Call it Global Warming or what you will, the fact is, it's warmer here than it used to be. And this year, we've yet to have proper winter. My lilacs are leafing out. A neighbors quince is in bloom. Forsythia are popping out everywhere. They'll all be frozen dead soon, probably: I put on a nice warm car coat for the first time this winter only yesterday -- Sears had an amazing sale on them, for understandable reasons.

Anyone else in similar circumstances? Facing the loss of beloved plants and trees that will no longer survive where their species have thrived for generations?

How are you coping? Are you willing to invest in new species, only to see the climate return to its pre-2007 routine? Are you thinking about this as you plan your spring planting?

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - Jan 09 2007 :  12:13:28 PM  Show Profile
Hey Rosemary--same situation here, in Northern Kentucky. We've been zone 6 my whole life (33 years), but now we're just the tip of Zone 7--In fact, I saw a simliar piece about this on Sunday Morning with Charles Osgood. Make sense, doesn't it--with global warming.
Although, this is an El Nino winter, so that may be why our weather is weird--today it feels like March, here. VERY windy, sun shining bright and not real cold.

I'm going to stick with my zone hardy 6's and experiement with some zone 7 this year--like I said, I'm just a tad "7" so I won't push it--I guess by the time I'm 40 we might be there. Sigh.

Just think of all of the roads there are...all of the things I haven't seen....yet.
Go to Top of Page

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - Jan 09 2007 :  12:23:43 PM  Show Profile
Here is the updated Hardiness Zone map from the Arbor Day Foundation that was on CBS Sunday Morning.

VERY interesting.

http://www.arborday.org/media/zones.cfm

Just think of all of the roads there are...all of the things I haven't seen....yet.
Go to Top of Page

Rosemary
True Blue Farmgirl

1825 Posts

Virginia
USA
1825 Posts

Posted - Jan 09 2007 :  1:16:08 PM  Show Profile
Oh well now I'm confused. The lower the Zone number, the colder it is. And I see by this map we're still in Zone 7, although once, we were more on the edge of 8, so I guess now we're just more solidly 7. But...but...What the heck gives? Thanks for the map, Jonni. My husband and I like to watch CBS Sunday Morning together over a nice breakfast of blueberry pancakes and veggie sausages before he has to go off to work, but I only caught a portion of their report on the Hardiness Zones last weekend.

By the way, my fellow farmgirls, CBS Sunday Morning is the only "real network" TV show we bother with, and the only one that ever covers the arts at all, and, to make a quick point, many of the other topics likely to be of interest to us. It's an intelligent, stylish little show. If you've never seen it, tune in sometime.
Go to Top of Page

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - Jan 09 2007 :  1:41:51 PM  Show Profile
Rosemary--
We watch Sunday Morning in our j's over breakfast, too. Usually an omlette of my husband's design (think MEAT and CHEESE) and a pot of tea.

My favorite part of the week. If I don't see Sunday Morning, I feel all out of sorts starting my work week.

J

Go to Top of Page

Libbie
Farmgirl Connection Cultivator

3579 Posts

Anne E.
Elsinore Utah
USA
3579 Posts

Posted - Jan 09 2007 :  8:04:32 PM  Show Profile
Yikes! I just looked at the arbor day revised 2006 map from the link above, and it looks like we've "upped" a zone, too! I think I'm going to test out the accuracy of this new map by trying to grow rosemary. But really, that IS pretty darn "interesting" - and does give one a reason to think about global warming.

XOXO, Libbie

"Nothing is worth more than this day." - Goethe
Go to Top of Page

Clare
True Blue Farmgirl

2173 Posts

NC WA State
USA
2173 Posts

Posted - Jan 09 2007 :  8:15:09 PM  Show Profile
I HAVE to hear the trumpet solo at the beginning of the show or my week just doesn't get off to a good start. Anyone relate? Love CBS Sunday Morning.

Looks like I've moved from a Zone 5 to 6/7, depending on location... Interesting, indeed, and a bit disconcerting.

Humor is the prelude to faith and Laughter is the beginning of prayer. -- Reinhold Niebuhr

http://farmstyle.blogspot.com

Edited by - Clare on Jan 09 2007 8:15:25 PM
Go to Top of Page

Rosemary
True Blue Farmgirl

1825 Posts

Virginia
USA
1825 Posts

Posted - Jan 11 2007 :  08:05:27 AM  Show Profile
Clare, that trumpet music has an interesting story behind it.

There is a painting somewhere (don't know where, and I forget the artists' name, too) of a trumpet player who was very famous in the time of J.S. Bach. He was a friend of Bach's, in fact. Anyway, in the painting, the trumpet player is holding a piece of paper with music written on it. THAT is the music CBS Sunday Morning uses. It's called "Abblassen" (sp?), which means "something to blow," or words to that effect. It was apparently written by the trumpet player himself. It would have been something he was known for, sort of his "calling card," the way James Brown was known for "I Feel Good."

The performance now used by CBS was recorded by Doc Severinsen, who took the original music and added a lot of what musicians call "ornamentation" to make it more florid and busy. The original performance was by my husband's friend Don Smithers, who was once a very famous trumpet player in our own day. He played it straight, but CBS decided they wanted more notes for the buck or something, and went with the Severinsen version. Don's version is on a record that you can still buy, I believe, called "Bach's Trumpet."

That's just the sort of story Sunday Morning might tell. But if they want to tell it while Don Smithers is still alive, they'd better hurry.

Edited by - Rosemary on Jan 11 2007 08:07:18 AM
Go to Top of Page

Rosemary
True Blue Farmgirl

1825 Posts

Virginia
USA
1825 Posts

Posted - Jan 12 2007 :  06:41:34 AM  Show Profile
Back on topic for this thread, does anyone know if there are new maps for first/late average frost dates? I've never relied on those too heavily, but it would be good to know if there are significant changes.
Go to Top of Page

akcowgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

296 Posts

Valerie
Homer Alaska
USA
296 Posts

Posted - Jan 14 2007 :  7:52:34 PM  Show Profile  Send akcowgirl a Yahoo! Message
So I have always thought that I was in zone 3 and that map has me in a ZONE 5. Wow i grew up here and knew that weather had been changing but not that much. I just I will push it and plant some zone 4 stuff this year and see what happens. i do live in a colder part of the area than some other areas so we will see.

Valerie
Yes, I live in my own little world. But that's ok they know me here.
Deja Moo: The feeling that you've heard this bull before.

Go to Top of Page

westernhorse51
True Blue Farmgirl

1681 Posts

michele
farmingdale n.j.
USA
1681 Posts

Posted - Jan 15 2007 :  06:26:47 AM  Show Profile
Clare, I love CBS morning show, watched it for years. Yes, global warming is here & I hate it. It is frightening. my plants are blooming only to die this week when it gets cold.

she selects wool and flax and works with eager hands Prov.31:13
Go to Top of Page

oceanfarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

231 Posts

Rachel
A Little Closer to Heaven Oregon Coast
USA
231 Posts

Posted - Jan 31 2007 :  11:28:45 AM  Show Profile  Send oceanfarmgirl a Yahoo! Message
I'm really frustrated with the zone thing. TODAY I've looked at about four different sites. one said zone 3, (which I doubt) another days zone 5, and THIS one says zone 9!!! I know 9 can't be right! We aren't THAT warm here on the oregon coast!

Rachel
See what I'm up to on my blog... http://minetothine.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page
  Garden Gate: Previous Topic Zoning Out! Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page