Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Parenting & Farm Kids
 A highly Inappropriate game!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Parenting & Farm Kids: Previous Topic A highly Inappropriate game! Next Topic  

bramble
True Blue Farmgirl

2044 Posts

2044 Posts

Posted - Jan 07 2007 :  2:32:28 PM  Show Profile
We bought a game called Battle of the Sexes marked ages 12-adult to play this past weekend with family. There are mixed ages and the teen boys don't want to play the "baby" games anymore. Well everything started out great for the first 45 minutes and then HOLY GUACAMOLE! The 13 year old pulled a question card and said "Mom...I don't want to read this outloud" and with good reason! At that point we decided to "edit" the cards for PG13 playing and removed about 10 more Challenge or Question cards. I was so disappointed, this was a company we have always enjoyed their "family" games but this was like an "experienced" version! YIKES!!! Beware!

with a happy heart

Beemoosie
True Blue Farmgirl

2077 Posts

Bonnie
New York
USA
2077 Posts

Posted - Jan 07 2007 :  3:25:04 PM  Show Profile
Thanks for the warning!
It's really to bad that companies think they have to do that to get people to buy their product.

My soul magnifies the Lord, And my spirit rejoices in God my Savior. Luke 1:46,47
www.beequilting.blogspot.com
http://beemoosie-picture-diary.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

happymama58
True Blue Farmgirl

1210 Posts

Patti
Missouri
USA
1210 Posts

Posted - Jan 07 2007 :  8:45:58 PM  Show Profile
Thanks for the warning. We love to play board & card games and try to buy a new one when we can, so I'll keep this in mind.

Some people search for happiness; others create it.

http://happymama58.typepad.com/my_weblog/

Please visit me at www.marykay.com/pmiinch
Go to Top of Page

faithymom
True Blue Farmgirl

360 Posts

Faith
Sandpoint ID
USA
360 Posts

Posted - Jan 07 2007 :  9:59:19 PM  Show Profile
I hope you send the manufacturer a complaint, too!
These companies need to know that we are paying attention!
Thanks for the heads-up,
Faith

"All television is educational television. The only question is, what is it teaching?"-Fmr. FCC Commissioner Nicholas Johnson
Go to Top of Page

Mumof3
True Blue Farmgirl

3890 Posts

Karin
Ellenwood GA
USA
3890 Posts

Posted - Jan 08 2007 :  06:23:40 AM  Show Profile
YIKES!! It is amazing what some people think is "appropriate" for our children. I agree with Faith, send them a clear message that this is not what you want your children exposed to. If more of us did that, we would see big changes for sure.

Karin
Go to Top of Page

Aunt George
True Blue Farmgirl

1476 Posts

Georgann
Midlothian VA
1476 Posts

Posted - Jan 08 2007 :  06:27:41 AM  Show Profile
Thanks for the heads up on that one. I looked at that for Christmas and then settled on the game: Fact or Crap. It is lots of fun and the kids love it. I know the word Crap might be too much for some people, but we have learned lots of great trivia from this game.

http://auntgeorgeshouse.blogspot.com/
Thanks for checking out my apron musings!
Go to Top of Page

bramble
True Blue Farmgirl

2044 Posts

2044 Posts

Posted - Jan 08 2007 :  08:57:13 AM  Show Profile
Aunt George! I looked at THAT game and decided on the other because I thought it was possibly questionable! Good to know that you and the kids liked it. I did contact the company, I called them and told them exactly what I objected to and suggested that they change this to an adult game, that these were not questions your average high school kids would be comfortable with let alone age 12+ middle schoolers. They were receptive and polite, offered me a different game and said they would look into it. I guess that's the best I could hope for at this point, but sure wish we hadn't had the "experience"!

with a happy heart
Go to Top of Page

sleepless reader
True Blue Farmgirl

1022 Posts

CA
USA
1022 Posts

Posted - Jan 08 2007 :  1:50:53 PM  Show Profile
Aunt George,we had been introduced to "Fact or Crap" a few years ago and my daughter begged for it ever since. Her big brother did get it for her at Christmas. It is a fun game that could have easily been named "Yes or No", but that, I suppose , wouldn't sell as many copies!
Bramble, I'm glad you contacted the company. They need to know.We used to run a kid's camp at a hotel and were very vocal if we found something good or questionable and I think most companies appreciate hearing from buyers. Good luck finding family games in the future. We just played "Mile Bournes" for the first time. I'd highly suggest that one!
Sharon

Life is messy. Wear your apron!
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jan 09 2007 :  10:32:06 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Miles Bournes is the best! Our family loves to play that game and- whewh! It can get heated! There is nothing better than giving Mom a flat tire and running Dad out of gas while giving sisters hazard cards! *grins*

Another great game is "Catch Phrase" and Doug and I like "Settlers of Catan".
Go to Top of Page

bramble
True Blue Farmgirl

2044 Posts

2044 Posts

Posted - Jan 16 2007 :  7:29:49 PM  Show Profile
Thanks Sharon , I'll look for it next time I get to the "good" toy store!

with a happy heart
Go to Top of Page
  Parenting & Farm Kids: Previous Topic A highly Inappropriate game! Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page