True Blue Farmgirl

3317 Posts

Melody
The Great North Woods in the Land of Hiawatha
USA
3317 Posts

Posted - Jul 04 2016 :  2:25:41 PM  Show Profile

"Carter House" Franklin,TN

While on vacation down to Nashville we spent the day in Franklin, TN to see the historic Carnton Plantation and the Carter House. I fell in LOVE with the painted floors at the Carter House-The design was very unique and I thought maybe I should try my hand at restoring and refreshing my sad wooden floors upstairs? I dread the thought of having to refinish them as it is a process I well know and this would be an interesting and different approach to 'refreshing' my 120 year old maple floors that I believe haven't been touched in an extremely long period of time.

Anyone out there have any experience with painting wood floors that include a unique pattern?

I checked some sites online but want to know if any of my 'sisters' have actually done this.

Melody

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Jul 10 2016 :  6:28:59 PM  Show Profile
Oh my GOSH how BEAUTIFUL, Melody! Wouldn't that be absolutely beautiful in your home! SOOOOO much work, but I am sure if anyone has the patience and talent to do it, it's you, sister! << When you're done, will you do mine? ;) >> Keep us posted! Hugs - Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

God gave us two hands... one to help ourselves, and one to help others!

Go to Top of Page

forgetmenot
True Blue Farmgirl

3602 Posts

Judith
Nora Springs IA
USA
3602 Posts

Posted - Jul 10 2016 :  6:49:52 PM  Show Profile
Those floors are just gorgeous, Melody! My gma didn't do designs; but in the upstairs of her little (She bought her Aunt Mary's house in town) house all of the floor boards were painted a light grey every other year. The steps going up and all 3 bedrooms always looked so bright and fresh!

I hope you get some great ideas on here. I'll be watching.

Farmgirl sister #3926

"Courage is not the absence of fear, but the belief that something is more important than fear." Ambrose Red Moon
Go to Top of Page

melody
True Blue Farmgirl

3317 Posts

Melody
USA
3317 Posts

Posted - Jul 10 2016 :  7:58:32 PM  Show Profile
That's the thing Judith....My maple floors (original to my 120 year old home) downstairs look pretty decent-- When we bought the house 22 years ago we refinished the front room and then the kitchen (the floor was covered with indoor outdoor carpeting-YUCK) and then there are a few areas in the dining room and living room that need to be addressed. But, the upstairs-and I am embarrassed to say this-they have really never been touched and look their age. I thought I would start out slow and small by just doing the landing areas at the base of the steps up at the top before the floor turns right onto a very large landing with banister railings to the right. If I like how they look and feel comfortable with the procedure I plan on doing all four bedroom floors and the open landing. Do you think I should stick with one base color throughout for consistency? I am leaning towards a creamy beige base with a very light (leek/celery) green diamond pattern or a rich plum berry color diamond. I have narrowed it down to two sets of colors. I can only imagine the time it took to do the floor at the Carter House in Franklin--such detail!

I will post before and after photos as soon as I begin. I am very excited about the prospect of FINALLY having my floors upstairs done and looking nice...

Melody
Go to Top of Page

forgetmenot
True Blue Farmgirl

3602 Posts

Judith
Nora Springs IA
USA
3602 Posts

Posted - Jul 10 2016 :  9:43:25 PM  Show Profile
Well, Melody, everything you have done so far, has been beautiful! I don't know why what you envision would be any less. I'm not an artist or decorator (We are just now pulling our home out of the 80's) I can picture your project of starting with the landings though. The colors sound subtle and still rich. Can't wait to see pictures. Your home sounds wonderful.

Farmgirl sister #3926

"Courage is not the absence of fear, but the belief that something is more important than fear." Ambrose Red Moon
Go to Top of Page

melody
True Blue Farmgirl

3317 Posts

Melody
USA
3317 Posts

Posted - Jul 11 2016 :  05:35:28 AM  Show Profile
There always seems to be something to do in this old house-----I sort of feel like "Eldin" from the series "Murphy Brown!" She hires him to paint her bathroom and he ends up staying 10 years!

Melody
Go to Top of Page

forgetmenot
True Blue Farmgirl

3602 Posts

Judith
Nora Springs IA
USA
3602 Posts

Posted - Jul 11 2016 :  09:13:51 AM  Show Profile
Oh, I remember him!

Farmgirl sister #3926

Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic Painting Wood Floors? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page