catotn
Farmgirl in Training

32 Posts

Sara
Dover TN
USA
32 Posts

Posted - Jun 01 2016 :  09:16:36 AM  Show Profile
I have made a large quilt for my sister. I have finish the top, have the padding and backing. I need help with the quilting part. I have bit off more then I can chew. I dont have a big enough sewing machine to machine quilt it and I dont have a frame to hand quilt it. Please help. This is for my sister new home.

Sara Bell

Farmgirl Sister #6881

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

7479 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
7479 Posts

Posted - Jun 01 2016 :  10:03:39 AM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message
Perhaps you can find a long-arm quilter who can do it for you. Or sometimes senior centers have a group of ladies who hand quilt the quilts. Maybe this will help?

Or check for a quilt guild in your area and contact them. Often they have long-arm quilters who will do it for a small charge.

Farmgirl hugs,
Farmgirl #1919
Farm Girl of the Month August 2015
Linda O
Lone Oak, TX

"Women are Angels, and when someone breaks our wings, we simply continue to fly . . . on a broomstick - we're flexible, like that."

Edited by - quiltee on Jun 01 2016 10:06:15 AM
Go to Top of Page

HealingTouch
True Blue Farmgirl

3448 Posts

Darlene
Kunkletown Pa
USA
3448 Posts

Posted - Jun 01 2016 :  9:17:50 PM  Show Profile  Send HealingTouch a Yahoo! Message
In my area some churches do quilting for people. Good luck.

Be Blessed and Be a Blessing,
Darlene
Sister 1922

God first, everything else after!

When Satan's knocking at your door, just say "Jesus will you get that for me?"

When it gets to hard to stand, Kneel!

Go to Top of Page

sherone_13
True Blue Farmgirl

2460 Posts

Sherone
Evanston WY
USA
2460 Posts

Posted - Jun 02 2016 :  08:13:48 AM  Show Profile
The quilt shop in our town does long arm quilting. You could mail it to them. Here's the link. http://www.commonthreadswy.com/

Sherone

Farmgirl Sister #93
My Blog

www.annapearlsattic.blogspot.com

My Etsy

www.etsy.com/shop/annapearlsattic

My Avon

www.youravon.com/sheronetaylor

Women are angels. When someone breaks our wings, we just jump on our broomsticks and fly! We are flexible that way!
Go to Top of Page

Marilyn Hartman Sullivan
True Blue Farmgirl

1138 Posts

Marilyn
Oxford PA
USA
1138 Posts

Posted - Jun 02 2016 :  11:56:30 AM  Show Profile
While it is much easier to do nice hand-quilting with a frame, it can be done without, it you take plenty of time to baste the quilt sandwich (top, batting, binding) together -- lots and lots of pins, so that the sandwich doesn't shift while you are quilting, and you take your time and start quilting from the center and work your way to the outside edges. You could also do what we used to call a "tied quilt," where you just tack the layers of the sandwich together every 4 to 6 inches with heavy floss or crochet cotton -- just make a knot close to the surface of the quilt and leave the tails a couple of inches long. Makes the whole thing a little "puffier," but it can be a nice country-looking finish.

If it's an heirloom kind of piece, then hand-quilting is nice, but it is time consuming, for sure. It is really just running stitches taken through all the layers of the quilt to hold it together and keep it from shifting, and our great-great-grandmothers did it riding in a swaying wagon, so it's not brain surgery, but it does take time.

If the quilt is going to be used, then I would for sure find a local machine quilter! The finished quilt will hold up better during use and washing. GOOD LUCK!

Farmgirl #6318
"Where there's a will -- there's probably a family fight."
Go to Top of Page

Farmgirlquilting
True Blue Farmgirl

79 Posts

Angie
Ft Meade FL
79 Posts

Posted - Jun 11 2016 :  7:01:11 PM  Show Profile
I do long arm quilting. Email me if you need help.

Angie Gordon
#6966 FGOTM June 2016
farmgirlquilting@gmail.com
Go to Top of Page
  Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic Quilt Help Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page