farmsisterbrenda
Farmgirl at Heart

4 Posts

Brenda
Howard City MI
USA
4 Posts

Posted - May 14 2016 :  05:17:56 AM  Show Profile
I have lost the information saved from an article/sister newsletter/magazine (not sure where but sure it was written by MaryJane) about some sort of felt cloth/roofing material she uses in her gardens to help with weed control. Does anyone remember this article? If so could you point me in the direction to find it? Wanted to share with my husband for a particular problem area we have struggled with keeping the weeds under control.

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16401 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16401 Posts

Posted - May 14 2016 :  08:20:51 AM  Show Profile
I think my old link to where you can find that doesn't exist anymore. I will do some homework and get back to you. I talked about that in my Ideabook:)

MaryJane, Farmgirl #1 Plowin' Thru ~ giving aprons a good wrap for 45 years and counting ~
Go to Top of Page

rachelbee
True Blue Farmgirl

207 Posts

Rachel
Carmel IN
USA
207 Posts

Posted - May 14 2016 :  09:30:24 AM  Show Profile
I don't know if it's what you're looking for, but I've seen rolls of landscaping fabric at our hardware stores. You can cut holes in it for the plants you do want and it keeps weeds from popping up. In my area people usually put down mulch over it. However I don't know if it's biodegradable or if you'd have to pull it up if you changed your mind.

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16401 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16401 Posts

Posted - May 14 2016 :  09:49:51 AM  Show Profile
Yes, that's the idea Rachel. I use a more industrial version of black felt that lasts many years but lets water through. When I peel it back, the soil is teaming with earthworms beneath it.

MaryJane, Farmgirl #1 Plowin' Thru ~ giving aprons a good wrap for 45 years and counting ~
Go to Top of Page

farmsisterbrenda
Farmgirl at Heart

4 Posts

Brenda
Howard City MI
USA
4 Posts

Posted - May 14 2016 :  11:23:52 AM  Show Profile
That is what I was looking for something that would last longer. I have the idea book, I will look in it. Thanks for the reminder to look there. I remember there was link to a site to buy the felt so I think I read it on line but if it is not available anymore that may be why I could not find on my Pinterest board where I thought I pinned it. We have used the landscaping fabric but this area is a real problem for us. We water from a pond and it butts up to a farmers field. It was in real good shape the first 2-3 years we lived here but it has gotten too wet a couple years in a row and has germinated a lot of unwanted stuff. But we live on 10 acres of mostly woods so we need every area we can find that gets sun to plant. My husband knew what I was talking about but for some reason I thought there was something different about the product you had suggested. Thank you MaryJane #1!
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
True Blue Farmgirl

9384 Posts

Denise
Beavercreek Ohio
USA
9384 Posts

Posted - May 17 2016 :  08:20:48 AM  Show Profile
How well does that work when you are planting from seeds? Do you just cut holes where you are planting the seeds. Sounds like a stupid question but they always say there are no stupid questions.

~Denise~
Farmgirl Sister #43

"Thy Word is a lamp unto my feet and a light unto my path." Psalm 119:105

http://www.ladybugsandlilacs.blogspot.com/
http://www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

17161 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
17161 Posts

Posted - May 20 2016 :  9:52:25 PM  Show Profile
Denise,,, good question... I am guessing that you could cut out little 1" holes where you would use to place your seed in the ground... on a small scale, probably very easy peasy... however on a larger scale,,, might take awhile to plant a large garden... but once the seeds sprout to a 3" size,,, maybe laydown the mulch...
Denise, I volunteer you to be the 'tester'... let us know how it works! heeheehee! hugz

>^..^<
Happiness is being a katmom and Glamping Diva!

www.katmom4.blogspot.com & http://graciesvictorianrose.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page

ceejay48
Farmgirl Legend/Schoolmarm/Sharpshooter

13641 Posts

CeeJay (CJ)
Dolores Colorado
USA
13641 Posts

Posted - May 21 2016 :  12:56:39 PM  Show Profile  Send ceejay48 a Yahoo! Message
We use black plastic in our garden and I use 3 ft. wide rolls for my ROWS and space it far enough apart to plant seeds in a row of exposed soil. (Yes, I do have to weed the rows but nothing else ..:D)
I use the 10x25 ft. sheet for tomato plants and cut holes in it for the plants.
CJ

..from the barefoot farmgirl in SW Colorado...sister chick #665.
2010 Farmgirl Sister of the Year
Mother Hen: FARMGIRLS SOUTHWEST HENHOUSE

my aprons - http://www.facebook.com/FarmFreshAprons

living life - www.snippetscja.blogspot.com

from my heart - www.fromacelticheart.blogspot.com

from my hubby - www.aspenforge.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16401 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16401 Posts

Posted - May 21 2016 :  9:26:56 PM  Show Profile
I'm on the trail of another source. What we've used is a roll that is 15 feet wide. When I roll out a section, I cut an X wherever I plant a seed or put a plant. Seeds push right up through the X and then you get weed protection close to the plant. If you need to come up with a different configuration the next year, the X when laid flat still gives coverage.

Go to Top of Page

Rosemary
True Blue Farmgirl

1825 Posts

Virginia
USA
1825 Posts

Posted - May 22 2016 :  07:58:32 AM  Show Profile
MaryJane, I've just returned to the Forum after a long hiatus, courtesy of a new Farmgirl resurrecting a long-dead thread to which I remained subscribed. We've been having nonstop rain here in the Virginia Piedmont for all but two days of this month so far, after a hot, dry April, so the weed situation is insane. And here you are with the solution for regaining some control over it that can prevent a recurrence :) I will mount a search for the product you're using. It would be perfect for me. Please do post the resource if you find it. That would be so helpful.

I'll also revisit the Lifebook. I have all your books neatly stacked on a painted cabinet in our kitchen, with an 18th century brass candlestick on top, under a framed early print of the first "Grow Food on an Organic Farm" poster from the J. Wertheim Design's "The Victory Garden of Tomorrow" collection. Their work is fabulous. Thanks so much for bringing it to our attention years ago! Ditto those wonderful brooms, of which I have two. Best I've ever owned, but almost too pretty to use!
Go to Top of Page

farmsisterbrenda
Farmgirl at Heart

4 Posts

Brenda
Howard City MI
USA
4 Posts

Posted - Jun 05 2016 :  7:41:39 PM  Show Profile
My husband did some research and found something similar to the product listed in the Ideabook article. He works for a company that has a filtration division and checked with an employee who said this particular product would do well. It comes in different widths but because of the cost we bought the 3 or 4 foot width. If it does well and we are able to re-roll and re-use we may invest the the wider roll next year. The woodworker has gone to bed and has a separate Amazon account than I so I could not look it up at this time. It is a type of felt on a roll. We did lay it down and cut X's in it for tomato and pepper plants and now he is laying it between rows of beans ect. to see how far much the roll will cover since we are using it in a rather large garden. I will try and get back with you on the product name soon, and will let you know how it is working for us later in the season.
Go to Top of Page

Rosemary
True Blue Farmgirl

1825 Posts

Virginia
USA
1825 Posts

Posted - Jun 05 2016 :  8:18:15 PM  Show Profile
Brenda, I'd love to hear about your experience with this product. Please keep us posted!
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16401 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16401 Posts

Posted - Jun 22 2016 :  3:16:52 PM  Show Profile
Brenda, the phone # listed in my Ideabook (Arrow Construction in Spokane, WA) is still the best place to buy the felt I mentioned. They now offer smaller pieces to your specifications. 888-922-7847. In other words, you no longer have to buy an entire 300 foot by 15 foot roll like I used to buy. He'll cut what you want for 18 cents/square foot. It's called Nonwoven Propex 4553.

Go to Top of Page
  Garden Gate: Previous Topic weed control Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page