Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Across the Fence
 I got picked! Field trip was awesome!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Across the Fence: Previous Topic I got picked! Field trip was awesome! Next Topic  

texdane
Farmgirl Legend Chapter Leader Chapter Guru

4658 Posts

Nicole
Sandy Hook CT
USA
4658 Posts

Posted - May 12 2016 :  05:25:33 AM  Show Profile
Hi Farmgirls,

I just wanted to share some happy news from a last week. Our eighth grade classes go to Washington DC each year for a field trip. We were worried about our DD going. First off, there's been so much going on in the world, and second, it isn't an inexpensive trip (but a GRADED project, sigh). My DD sold tons of cookie dough (a fundraiser the school does to help pay for the trip), and the rest we saved up and grandparents gave to the "fund" for Christmas, etc. Well, they needed just four chaperones...and I got picked! (Chaperones trips are free, you are working). Well...what a trip! We saw things I would never have seen or saw before, the trip was smooth sailing, and the seeing my DD interact with all her friends and class was amazing. I will cherish the memories.

I was in charge of eight kids...kinda like herding cats. We'd walk into somewhere and they would disperse! But it turned out great, and I am now loosening the reins a bit on my own daughter.

My DD starts high school next year. So hard to believe, since when I started here on the forum she was just seven and in elementary. If you have the chance to go on any field trips with your kiddos, do it. Be a chaperone. It's memories you will always cherish!

Farmgirl Hugs,
Nicole

Farmgirl Sister #1155
KNITTER, JAM-MAKER AND MOM EXTRAORDINAIRE
Chapter Leader, Connecticut Simpler Life Sisters
Farmgirl of the Month, January 2013

Suburban Farmgirl Blogger
http://sfgblog.maryjanesfarm.org/

www.facebook.com/suburbanfarmgirlblogger

ddmashayekhi
True Blue Farmgirl

4737 Posts

Dawn
Naperville Illinois
USA
4737 Posts

Posted - May 12 2016 :  06:20:21 AM  Show Profile
So glad you had such a positive and fun experience with your daughter & her classmates in DC. It is a beautiful area and there is so much history to see and places to tour! I've been there 4 times and still haven't done it all. We were there last year for spring break and my youngest son, 11 years old at the time, loved it. Virginia is a beautiful state too and we've been there a few times as well for all the historical sites.

I'm sure your daughter loved having you along for her trip. Enjoy your summer!
Dawn in IL

"We can complain because rose bushes have thorns, or rejoice because thorn bushes have roses." Abraham Lincoln
Go to Top of Page

MaryJanesNiece
True Blue Farmgirl

6922 Posts

Krista
Utah
USA
6922 Posts

Posted - May 12 2016 :  10:49:25 AM  Show Profile
I have always wanted to visit Washington DC. One day we will make it there. I'm glad you ended up having a lot of fun! It's crazy because I was just thinking the other day of how excited I am to go on the field trips with my son. Even though they are forever away! I remember my mom going with me on my field trips and it was so much fun! I want to make those kinds of memories with my son.

Krista
Go to Top of Page

ceejay48
Farmgirl Legend/Schoolmarm/Sharpshooter

13615 Posts

CeeJay (CJ)
Dolores Colorado
USA
13615 Posts

Posted - May 12 2016 :  10:55:33 AM  Show Profile  Send ceejay48 a Yahoo! Message
There's nothing like chaperoning kids on trips. I used to do a lot of that with the high school choir . . . whew! I did it for several years but it was only on the first one that my daughter was still in high school. After that it was a whole lot of other peoples kids and in all four grade levels. Some of them were not so well behaved either!

Glad you got to go and enjoyed the trip! YAY for you and DD!
CJ

..from the barefoot farmgirl in SW Colorado...sister chick #665.
2010 Farmgirl Sister of the Year
Mother Hen: FARMGIRLS SOUTHWEST HENHOUSE

my aprons - http://www.facebook.com/FarmFreshAprons

living life - www.snippetscja.blogspot.com

from my heart - www.fromacelticheart.blogspot.com

from my hubby - www.aspenforge.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

6592 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
6592 Posts

Posted - May 12 2016 :  12:57:40 PM  Show Profile
Nicole, So glad you got to visit DC and see all of the beautiful sights!! It is always fun to go there and learn about all of history and see the home of our government !!

Winnie #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Farm Sister of the Year 2014-2015
Go to Top of Page

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - May 12 2016 :  1:35:19 PM  Show Profile
Nicole, so happy you had a wonderful time on the trip and was able to be with your DD. How sweet.
Marly

"It's only when we truly know and understand that we have a limited time on earth- and that we have no way of knowing when our time is up- that we will begin to live each day to the fullest, as if it was the only one we had." Elisabeth Kurler-Ross
Go to Top of Page

Lavender Rose
True Blue Farmgirl

1979 Posts

Brenda
Jackson MI
USA
1979 Posts

Posted - May 12 2016 :  3:47:13 PM  Show Profile
Nicole, What a great trip you had. I was able to spend a day in Washington, DC once. We crammed a lot into one day. Wonderful place for learning about and experiencing history. You and your daughter will always remember the fun you had.

Farm Girl Hugs,
Brenda

Each day we add to our legacy-good or bad. Our Daily Bread
Go to Top of Page

Bonnie Ellis
True Blue Farmgirl

2474 Posts

Bonnie
Minneapolis Minnesota
USA
2474 Posts

Posted - May 12 2016 :  6:44:39 PM  Show Profile
Nicole, our kids were 6 and 9 when we went to Philadelphia and D.C. Wonderful place to take kids. So happy you got to go with them. One thing we learn as life goes along is seemingly how fast time flies. My "kids" are now almost 50 and 47. Yikes!

grandmother and orphan farmgirl
Go to Top of Page

prariehawk
True Blue Farmgirl

2914 Posts

Cindy

2914 Posts

Posted - May 12 2016 :  10:03:01 PM  Show Profile
I'm the only one of my siblings who hasn't been to D.C. How neat that you got to go. My oldest niece will go to Europe this summer with 200 other kids--I'm sure my SIL would like to be a chaperone-haven't heard yet. I just hope she stays safe while visiting there--and maybe someday i'll go. Don't get to travel much these days on my income.
Cindy

"Come by the hills to the land where fancy is free; And stand where the peaks meet the sky and the rocks reach the sea.Where the rivers run clear and the bracken is gold in the sun. and cares of tomorrow must wait till this day is done"--Loreena McKennit
"In many ways, you don't just live in the country, it lives inside you"--Ellen Eilers

Visit my blog on Tumblr: eclecticstarlightcollectorbluff
Go to Top of Page

ceejay48
Farmgirl Legend/Schoolmarm/Sharpshooter

13615 Posts

CeeJay (CJ)
Dolores Colorado
USA
13615 Posts

Posted - May 13 2016 :  07:29:26 AM  Show Profile  Send ceejay48 a Yahoo! Message
Getting to DC and places in the eastern part of the US would be a major undertaking and I hope to someday. I was in DC one time but only in the airport. I was able to see a lot of sites in Boston which was a great experience. We live so very far-r-r-r-r-r-r away out here in the wild, woolly west!
CJ

..from the barefoot farmgirl in SW Colorado...sister chick #665.
2010 Farmgirl Sister of the Year
Mother Hen: FARMGIRLS SOUTHWEST HENHOUSE

my aprons - http://www.facebook.com/FarmFreshAprons

living life - www.snippetscja.blogspot.com

from my heart - www.fromacelticheart.blogspot.com

from my hubby - www.aspenforge.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Song Sparrow
True Blue Farmgirl

1010 Posts

Amy
Talleyville Delaware
USA
1010 Posts

Posted - May 15 2016 :  06:51:20 AM  Show Profile
Nicole, your story brought back memories of school trips I chaperone. Herding cats, indeed! So glad you got a chance to do this, your DD will always remember it.

Any of you wild western sisters that want to visit the mid-Atlantic, you just come on over! I'd love to help you discover the "cradle of liberty" as they call it!

Hugs and Happy Day!
Peace in our hearts, peace in the world
Amy (Sister#6098) www.danaherandcloud.com

Go to Top of Page

texdane
Farmgirl Legend Chapter Leader Chapter Guru

4658 Posts

Nicole
Sandy Hook CT
USA
4658 Posts

Posted - Jun 28 2016 :  06:17:34 AM  Show Profile
Hi girls,

The school year ended last week and now my dad will be in high school! I don't know how the time passed so fast. I'm so glad I got to go on that field trip. CeeJay, if you ever head to the East Coast you have to come stay with me a bit!

Farmgirl hugs,
Nicole

Farmgirl Sister #1155
KNITTER, JAM-MAKER AND MOM EXTRAORDINAIRE
Chapter Leader, Connecticut Simpler Life Sisters
Farmgirl of the Month, January 2013

Suburban Farmgirl Blogger
http://sfgblog.maryjanesfarm.org/

www.facebook.com/suburbanfarmgirlblogger
Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic I got picked! Field trip was awesome! Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page