jo Thompson
True Blue Farmgirl

603 Posts

Jo
the mountainside of the Chugach in Alaska
USA
603 Posts

Posted - Jan 03 2007 :  11:10:25 PM  Show Profile
Remember how Sophie ate my sourdough starter? Ronna sent me a new batch, AWESOME, it's potent and very active. My husband thought it was the full moon, but Ronna's starter is some yeast! It tastes different than my last one........ jo

north to alaska.....

Ronna
True Blue Farmgirl

1891 Posts

Ronna
Fernley NV
USA
1891 Posts

Posted - Jan 04 2007 :  1:21:48 PM  Show Profile
I am so pleased you're enjoying it Jo. Hope the rest who got those little boxes of starter are doing well. It's very forgiving and versatile. Don't let it intimidate you and just put it in the fridge if you don't want to deal with it for awhile.
I originally used a Sunset Magazine recipe, with milk and yogurt as I recall and the wild yeasts of Nevada took off in a very short time. Maybe the Basque sheepherders who kept starter in their wagons and cooked/baked over a campfire?
Ronna
Go to Top of Page

horse
True Blue Farmgirl

371 Posts

laura
pontotoc mississippi
USA
371 Posts

Posted - Jan 04 2007 :  2:09:33 PM  Show Profile
Ronna, I would love the recipe of the starter or maybe you could send me some. PLEASE.......
Thanks,
Laura
http://www.2lmzfarms.blogspot.com
3 barrels, 2 hearts, 1 passion
Go to Top of Page

farmkitty
True Blue Farmgirl

69 Posts

Angela
Anderson South Carolina
USA
69 Posts

Posted - Jan 04 2007 :  4:46:48 PM  Show Profile
Ronna, I too would like to have the recipe or a cup . Back several months ago I posted several threads on starters (really lousy luck with my own) so I would love to try your recipe . Thank you!! Angela
Go to Top of Page

Ronna
True Blue Farmgirl

1891 Posts

Ronna
Fernley NV
USA
1891 Posts

Posted - Jan 04 2007 :  4:54:51 PM  Show Profile
Laura and Angela, email me off list with your mailing info. I'll get it out of the fridge and feed it a few times before sending on its way. I'll make some good waffles with it while it's out, I'm salivating just thinking about it. Have some real maple syrup to go on them. This is a good time of year to be mailing it, while it's cool or cold across the country. Lots of good info on the yahoo sourdough group if you need it.
Ronna
Go to Top of Page

welikepets
Farmgirl at Heart

8 Posts

Dana
Jefferson City MO
USA
8 Posts

Posted - Jan 08 2007 :  06:33:48 AM  Show Profile
wow - went online to amazon.com - lots of books to help us cook up this sourdough.....Simple Sourdough; a simple booklet about the science & making of your own starter (without store bought yeast) by Mark Shepard, Adventures in Sourdough Cooking & Baking by Charles Wilford (this one can be found VERY cheap, as in $1 plus shipping, and the reviews are great), and Alaska Sourdough by Ruth Allman - if any of you haven't, you should try addall.com for used book searches - very resourceful! Just thought I'd share.
Go to Top of Page

Ronna
True Blue Farmgirl

1891 Posts

Ronna
Fernley NV
USA
1891 Posts

Posted - Jan 08 2007 :  08:22:21 AM  Show Profile
I'm not familiar with the Simple Sourdough booklet, but the Adventures in Sourdough is quite extensive. The Ed Woods books should be good, though I don't have any of them; he's very much involved with sourdough and sells starter from all over the world. If anyone should come across the Rita Davenport/HP Books large paperback, Sourdough Cookery, it's the one I've used most over the years. I'll check online, my copy is falling apart-sign of a wonderful cookbook. The Carrot Cake recipe is yummy.
Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Ronna's sourdough starter Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page