New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Reading Room: Previous Topic Now this book is a hoot! Next Topic  

country lawyer
True Blue Farmgirl

1022 Posts

1022 Posts

Posted - Jan 03 2007 :  06:21:07 AM  Show Profile
A Walk in the Woods, by Bill Bryson. It is as delightful as you have heard that it is! I see now why it's been on the NY Times Bestseller list for a while. It's about a guy who walks the Appalachian Trial...well, kind of. Anyway, this book made me laugh...and, I am recovering from surgery so I'm not in a laughing mood! Has anyone else read it?

"The secret of life is enjoying the passage of time."
James Taylor

Carolinagirl
True Blue Farmgirl

486 Posts

Kim
Rutherfordton NC
USA
486 Posts

Posted - Jan 03 2007 :  06:55:25 AM  Show Profile
I read it this summer. LOVED it! Most of what he was thinking was what I would be thinking if I decided to walk the App Trail. Good read. He has several other books that are funny too.

Kim in NC
Go to Top of Page

cmandle
True Blue Farmgirl

846 Posts

Catherine
Minneapolis MN
846 Posts

Posted - Jan 03 2007 :  07:02:05 AM  Show Profile
I read it a few years ago and loved it too. He's a great writer!

Catherine

http://yogurtandgranola.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Jan 03 2007 :  07:49:01 AM  Show Profile
I wrote that title down..sure sounds good!!

Jenny in Utah
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

happymama58
True Blue Farmgirl

1210 Posts

Patti
Missouri
USA
1210 Posts

Posted - Jan 03 2007 :  08:02:21 AM  Show Profile
This is one of my all-time favorite books, and I've bought all of his books (at the used book store) since reading this one first. It may sound strange to those of you who haven't read it, but whenever I read the chapter about his fear of being attacked by a bear, I laugh until I cry. The first page, where he tells about actual bear attacks, isn't funny but very serious, but when he goes on to talk about the conflicting advice, etc., it is hilarious.

You might want to read his other books, since you really like this one. If you can't find them and want to borrow mine, I can send them your way once I get them out of storage. Just let me know.

Some people search for happiness; others create it.

http://happymama58.typepad.com/my_weblog/

Please visit me at www.marykay.com/pmiinch
Go to Top of Page

sewgirlie
True Blue Farmgirl

1894 Posts

Sheryl-lyn
Calverton NY
USA
1894 Posts

Posted - Jan 03 2007 :  09:09:23 AM  Show Profile
I have been picking this book up and putting it down (in the bookstore) for a long time. I have been wondering if I would love it. Now I will go and pick it up and bring it home to add to my must read pile. Thanks for telling us and hope you are feeling better.

My husband is also recovering from a surgery this week. He had his on the 28th of December and I miss him horribly now that I am back to work again! He is a nature boy, so I bet he will love the book too!

Sheryl-lyn
Go to Top of Page
  Reading Room: Previous Topic Now this book is a hoot! Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page