Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Reading Room
 Reading the Anne of Green Gables series
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Reading Room: Previous Topic Reading the Anne of Green Gables series Next Topic  

Txfarmgal
True Blue Farmgirl

585 Posts

AK

USA
585 Posts

Posted - Dec 09 2006 :  10:03:12 AM  Show Profile
again! I collect books vintage and otherwise and I have the series of Anne of Green Gables and I have decided to read them again. Anyone else read them? I just love Anne and it would be fun to read them again in the holiday season!

Angi~wife, momma, 4H leader & Txfarmgal -Be Joyful Always 1 Thes. 5:18
http://www.etsy.com/your_shop.php MommaNMe Country store

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Dec 09 2006 :  10:19:35 AM  Show Profile
Oh one of my favorites! I loved the TV series too! and the Anne of Avonlea series also.

Jewelry, art, baskets, etc.

www.willowtreecreek.com
Go to Top of Page

Nicie
True Blue Farmgirl

185 Posts

Denise
Lincoln NE
USA
185 Posts

Posted - Dec 09 2006 :  1:55:04 PM  Show Profile
I haven't read them in a while but I do enjoy them.

Denise
Go to Top of Page

Cindy Lee
True Blue Farmgirl

510 Posts

Cindy
Sparks Nevada
USA
510 Posts

Posted - Dec 09 2006 :  4:26:31 PM  Show Profile
Angi, This is one of my favorites! I have watched the movies more times than I dare to say. This very morning as I was getting ready for work, I turned on TMC on TV (Turner Movie classics) which is never a good idea before going to work, I there was Anne of Green Gables that was made in 1936! I watched the whole darn thing! It was just as sweet as the one I've watched a 100 times!

Have fun in Prince Edward Island! Cindy

If life gives you scraps, make quilts!
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Dec 09 2006 :  10:08:21 PM  Show Profile
I absolutly love Anne!! My oldest daughter, who is 12 is reading the series right now..she just finished Anne of the Island...as soon as she finishes a mystery she has to read for school she will be on to the next one I am sure.
I have never seen the 1936 version of the movie..gosh..will have to watch for that one!! I LOVE the newer version and have owned it since it came out..Anne of Avonlea too.

Jenny in Utah
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

peapodjane
True Blue Farmgirl

127 Posts

127 Posts

Posted - Dec 10 2006 :  03:23:52 AM  Show Profile
Oh,
I have enjoyed this series so much, I always cry about Matthew, and loved Colleen Dewhurst as Aunt Marilla (sp?) on the TV movie. The women in this series are portrayed so well, intelligent, hardworking good people. I am always amazed that these were written so long ago. Also, though it's not part of this series, "Girl of Limberlost" is another wonderful book, my Mom mentioned that she had read it as a girl, so I checked it out and enjoyed it immensely. Yeah for Books!
peapodjane
Go to Top of Page

Phils Ann
True Blue Farmgirl

1095 Posts

Ann
Parsonsburg Maryland
USA
1095 Posts

Posted - Dec 10 2006 :  12:40:19 PM  Show Profile
Ha! I'm reading "Anne of the Island", too, Jenny! I gave several of the books to my then-niece when my brother was married to her mother. I have no idea which ones are missing, and am thinking maybe I should buy the whole set again! The paperbacks are getting pretty worn. I love the Colleen Dewherst version of the movie (and Phil and I both cry when Matthew dies... every watching), but have't ever seen the 1936 one! Something else to hunt for.

Miss Peapodjand, is "Girl of the Limberlost" by Patricia St. John and set in Switzerland? If so, I've both read the book and watched the movie--and loved both. In fact, P. St. John is one of my heroines. Yeah for books, indeed!

Ann

There is a Redeemer.
Go to Top of Page

peapodjane
True Blue Farmgirl

127 Posts

127 Posts

Posted - Dec 11 2006 :  02:54:08 AM  Show Profile
Hi Ann,
The book I was referring to was written in 1909 by Gene Stratton Porter.
It is set in Indiana...just thinking about makes me want to go and get it from the library, however at 4:47 a.m. it's closed! :-)
I think Collen Dewherst was one of the best actresses of our times, just incredible how she was able to play so many characters so marvelously!
Just one example the difference between playing Aunt Marilla and then showing up as Murphy Brown's mother on that series!
Take Care,
peapodjane
Go to Top of Page

Phils Ann
True Blue Farmgirl

1095 Posts

Ann
Parsonsburg Maryland
USA
1095 Posts

Posted - Dec 11 2006 :  03:47:57 AM  Show Profile
Oh, thanks, Peapodjane. I haven't read it, then. The old books are so innocent, aren't they! Or, maybe it's L M Montgomery who loved the innocence of childhood and shared it so well. In any case, I want to live there!

Ann

There is a Redeemer.
Go to Top of Page

ali2583
True Blue Farmgirl

404 Posts

Alison
Winnipeg Manitoba
Canada
404 Posts

Posted - Dec 11 2006 :  8:19:20 PM  Show Profile
"Anne" was required reading for a lot of Canadian schoolkids, and I first started reading the books when I was 9 years old. I've read them all so many times, my paperback copies are starting to look a little worn. PEI is a very beatiful place!

"God's gift to you is life. What you choose to do with that life is your gift to God"
Go to Top of Page

mellaisbella
True Blue Farmgirl

1862 Posts

melanie
living on Anne of Green Gables land
Canada
1862 Posts

Posted - Jan 03 2007 :  09:44:51 AM  Show Profile
you bet PEI is a beautiful place!!! I live here!!! I have been to Anne of Green Gables hose many many times....for those of you that don't know about the swap that was going on...I can get any Anne items that you heart desires......just let me know!!!

mellaisbella "I wanna touch the earth, I want to break it in my hands, I want to grow something wild and unruly"
Go to Top of Page
  Reading Room: Previous Topic Reading the Anne of Green Gables series Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page