chickenjanedoe
True Blue Farmgirl

96 Posts

Sandy
Claypool Indiana
USA
96 Posts

Posted - Apr 29 2016 :  2:13:20 PM  Show Profile
I'm hoping someone can give me an idea what I can do I have a three-week-old baby bunny that was outside of his nest And hewas fine earlier but now he is cold And barely breathing Mama doesn't want anything to do with him any suggestions

chickenjanedoe
True Blue Farmgirl

96 Posts

Sandy
Claypool Indiana
USA
96 Posts

Posted - Apr 29 2016 :  3:55:53 PM  Show Profile
Never mind... He's gone...

Edited by - chickenjanedoe on Apr 29 2016 3:56:51 PM
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16401 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16401 Posts

Posted - Apr 29 2016 :  5:10:06 PM  Show Profile
I wonder if something was wrong with the little one that only the mother knew. Or perhaps she didn't feel like she could take care of so many. Sorry for your loss. That's hard.

MaryJane, Farmgirl #1 Plowin' Thru ~ giving aprons a good wrap for 45 years and counting ~
Go to Top of Page

chickenjanedoe
True Blue Farmgirl

96 Posts

Sandy
Claypool Indiana
USA
96 Posts

Posted - Apr 29 2016 :  6:29:53 PM  Show Profile
Thank you Mary Jane. He was the only one out of the nest and I think she may have squished him. A farm girls lessons are not always easy ones to learn.
Sandy
Go to Top of Page

DandeeRose
True Blue Farmgirl

1509 Posts

Alicia
Charlestown, IN
1509 Posts

Posted - Apr 29 2016 :  7:55:33 PM  Show Profile  Send DandeeRose a Yahoo! Message
I am so sorry.

Many Blessings- Alicia #5232
https://derbauernhofsite.wordpress.com

https://www.etsy.com/shop/DandeeRose Farmgirl Accessories and more!
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass; it's about learning to dance in the rain."
Go to Top of Page

prariehawk
True Blue Farmgirl

2914 Posts

Cindy

2914 Posts

Posted - Apr 29 2016 :  10:29:48 PM  Show Profile
I am sorry. I found a baby bird yesterday that I think was blown out of his nest by the winds we had the other day. He was dead. Nature never stops.
Cindy

"Come by the hills to the land where fancy is free; And stand where the peaks meet the sky and the rocks reach the sea.Where the rivers run clear and the bracken is gold in the sun. and cares of tomorrow must wait till this day is done"--Loreena McKennit
"In many ways, you don't just live in the country, it lives inside you"--Ellen Eilers

Visit my blog on Tumblr: eclecticstarlightcollectorbluff
Go to Top of Page

KristiW
Moderator/Farmgirl True

639 Posts

Kristine
MaryJanesFarm
USA
639 Posts

Posted - Apr 30 2016 :  07:05:56 AM  Show Profile
That's too bad Sandy. It always seems to be even harder to take when it's the babies.

Kristi
Farmgirl Sister #6

Go to Top of Page

churunga
True Blue Farmgirl

3947 Posts

Marie
Minneapolis MN
USA
3947 Posts

Posted - Apr 30 2016 :  09:16:56 AM  Show Profile
You could try putting him in a box of litter with a couple bottles of warm water. He will snuggle up to them and stay warm. You will have to feed him by hand for a while to see if he grows and maybe reintroduce him to the mother. I do this with sick baby squirrels we find before we take them to a wildlife rehab place. Caring for babies is hard work and animals will not take care of one they know will die anyway. It's not cruel, it's survival.

Marie, Sister #5142
Farmgirl of the Month May 2014

Try everything once and the fun things twice.
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16401 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16401 Posts

Posted - Apr 30 2016 :  09:48:12 AM  Show Profile
Sandy, I grew up with rabbits. We raised them as a source of food. Often the neighbor kids wanted to "play" with them so it was my job to make sure they handled them like fresh eggs (that was our example). Rabbits seem more delicate when young than a kitten, puppy, or calf.

One time my father let some kids and their toddler siblings play with a batch of new ones in our backyard. He made them sit down in a circle on the lawn to handle them. He had to leave briefly for a few minutes and when he came back, two of them were in the condition you described. He took them away without alarming the kids but I was always told that their necks break easily. So, yes, the mother may have rolled onto or accidently stepped on the one that died in your arms.

MaryJane, Farmgirl #1 Plowin' Thru ~ giving aprons a good wrap for 45 years and counting ~
Go to Top of Page

mrssarahhall
True Blue Farmgirl

1272 Posts

Sarah
Longmont Colorado
USA
1272 Posts

Posted - May 03 2016 :  5:17:43 PM  Show Profile
Aww, so sorry! I think it was wonderful of you to try and help. #128153;

Sarah
Farmgirl # 5223

"For beautiful eyes, look for the good in others; for beautiful lips, speak only words of kindness; and for poise, walk with the knowledge that you are never alone." - Audrey Hepburn

All good things are wild and free- Henry David Thoreau

Go to Top of Page
  Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic help! sick bunny! Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page