Printer Friendly
Author Garden Gate: Previous Topic Leaf cutter? Next Topic  

prariehawk
True Blue Farmgirl

2914 Posts

Cindy

2914 Posts

Posted - May 03 2016 :  6:58:07 PM  Show Profile
Something is cutting the leaves of my beans. I have heard of leaf cutters but don't know anything about them. Would it help to put a light mesh over my beans? My other veggies seem fine. There is also a garter snake living in my straw bale garden but I like to think he takes care of pests. He is big for a garter snake. He climbed up the chain link fence surrounding the dog pen and didn't seem phased by either me or my dog. Of course, I told my dog to leave him alone, and he did.
Cindy

"Come by the hills to the land where fancy is free; And stand where the peaks meet the sky and the rocks reach the sea.Where the rivers run clear and the bracken is gold in the sun. and cares of tomorrow must wait till this day is done"--Loreena McKennit
"In many ways, you don't just live in the country, it lives inside you"--Ellen Eilers

Visit my blog on Tumblr: eclecticstarlightcollectorbluff

KristiW
Moderator/Farmgirl True

639 Posts

Kristine
MaryJanesFarm
USA
639 Posts

Posted - May 04 2016 :  09:36:11 AM  Show Profile
Since it's only affecting your beans, I would investigate insects that prey on those types of plants. We have garter snakes too and are quite fond of them, although they do sneak a goldfish out of the pond now and then!

Kristi
Farmgirl Sister #6

Go to Top of Page

forgetmenot
True Blue Farmgirl

3602 Posts

Judith
Nora Springs IA
USA
3602 Posts

Posted - May 04 2016 :  11:07:30 AM  Show Profile
We have had rabbits and birds snip the top if the bean plants off. arrrrgh!

Farmgirl sister #3926

"Courage is not the absence of fear, but the belief that something is more important than fear." Ambrose Red Moon
Go to Top of Page
  Garden Gate: Previous Topic Leaf cutter? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page