melody
True Blue Farmgirl

3317 Posts

Melody
The Great North Woods in the Land of Hiawatha
USA
3317 Posts

Posted - May 02 2016 :  3:28:33 PM  Show Profile

Time to dust off the Hinterberg quilt frame...I have decided to make my daughter a blue and white "Rising Star"queen size quilt. I used to restore vintage quilts-all hand stitched- for clients and sold a few at a local Amish Quilt auction that is held twice a year for their school. I've been so busy with my weaving that I thought it would be a good thing and a change of pace to get started on their quilt.

What is your favorite quilt block pattern?

I have to admit I am torn between a "Double Wedding Ring pattern and "Grandmother's Flower Garden....but, I really love "Rising Star." Classic simplicity at its best!

Melody

Denise Ann
True Blue Farmgirl

831 Posts

Denise
Shoreview MN
USA
831 Posts

Posted - May 02 2016 :  5:23:05 PM  Show Profile
Melody,
I like the star block. I am a sucker for a blue and white quilt!. My sister made me a storm at sea quilt, its on my bed and I just love it, so pretty. I might venture out of my comfort zone one of these days and make a red and white quilt...

Denise Ann
Go to Top of Page

melody
True Blue Farmgirl

3317 Posts

Melody
USA
3317 Posts

Posted - May 02 2016 :  6:12:07 PM  Show Profile
I did a Jacobs Ladder in red and white and sold it at one of the Amish auctions I attend every year. I was pregnant with my son Elliott and creeping around on the floor with scissors in one hand and thread in the other. Gosh...it was a beautiful quilt------

Melody
Go to Top of Page

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

17161 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
17161 Posts

Posted - May 02 2016 :  9:10:34 PM  Show Profile
Mel,,, your daughter is so lucky to have such a gifted mom....
I must admit,,, my quilting skills are quite remedial... but fun....

as for my favorite quilt patterns, I enjoy 2 different patterns equally,,,
1- Whack-a-Stack
2- Disappearing 9
both are my easy go to's when I need to make a quick lap quilt for our 'Covers of Love' group.
-

>^..^<
Happiness is being a katmom and Glamping Diva!

www.katmom4.blogspot.com & http://graciesvictorianrose.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page

churunga
True Blue Farmgirl

3930 Posts

Marie
Minneapolis MN
USA
3930 Posts

Posted - May 03 2016 :  05:37:14 AM  Show Profile
My favorites are Storm At Sea, Grandma's Flower Garden and Compass Rose. If I ever get time to make blocks, I would like to make a 12 block quilt in which each block has a different number of slender points 1 to 12.

Marie, Sister #5142
Farmgirl of the Month May 2014

Try everything once and the fun things twice.
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

7479 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
7479 Posts

Posted - May 03 2016 :  06:19:12 AM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message
My favorites are Scrappy (all blocks a different pattern and anything goes for fabrics) and for a single pattern, I guess it would be the Disappearing 9-patch. I have 2 Stack-n-Whack quilts I've made - they were fun to make.

Farmgirl hugs,
Farmgirl #1919
Farm Girl of the Month August 2015
Linda O
Lone Oak, TX

"Women are Angels, and when someone breaks our wings, we simply continue to fly . . . on a broomstick - we're flexible, like that."
Go to Top of Page

forgetmenot
True Blue Farmgirl

3602 Posts

Judith
Nora Springs IA
USA
3602 Posts

Posted - May 03 2016 :  08:33:56 AM  Show Profile
Well. You just have a picture there of my favorite colors!!! I think I just fell in love with this Rising Star block on sight! This will be beautiful and such a treasure!

I am currently trying to work on a UFO in between other UFOs. Ha! My friend gave me a quilt her mother had pieced and started to hand quilt. It is a double wedding ring. I am trying to complete the hand-quilting. It is my first attempt at that and going slowly. I love the relaxing feeling I get from working on it though!

Your daughter and her DH will be a lucky couple!

Farmgirl sister #3926

"Courage is not the absence of fear, but the belief that something is more important than fear." Ambrose Red Moon
Go to Top of Page

melody
True Blue Farmgirl

3317 Posts

Melody
USA
3317 Posts

Posted - May 03 2016 :  10:02:43 AM  Show Profile
A long time ago I hand stitched/quilted a top brought to me from an elderly lady. Her mother started the quilt but was quickly losing her sight. It took me 18 months to finish-Applique flowers covered the quilt. She was very happy once it was done. I had two small children at the time and so it took me a while to complete it. I was glad to know that the lady had the last quilt her mother held in her hands before passed.

Melody
Go to Top of Page

Bonnie Ellis
True Blue Farmgirl

2474 Posts

Bonnie
Minneapolis Minnesota
USA
2474 Posts

Posted - May 03 2016 :  6:51:41 PM  Show Profile
Melody, the blue star blocks will make a lovely quilt. My favorite patterns are grandmothers flower garden and Dresden plate. My dh aunt had me hand quilt a grandmothers flower garden that his g had machine pieced. I am sure she had not sewn much before. The fabrics were her girls dresses, her dresses and aprons. It was a challenge. But when I finished it it was amazing. Last summer my dh aunt gave the quilt to me. What a treasure. Glad to know there's so many farmgirl quilters.

grandmother and orphan farmgirl
Go to Top of Page

melody
True Blue Farmgirl

3317 Posts

Melody
USA
3317 Posts

Posted - May 03 2016 :  7:56:26 PM  Show Profile
We are heading out to Bonduel, WI on Saturday for an Amish quilt auction they hold twice a year. I just love it. Last time we went they had well over 400 quilts. I'll be looking for quilt tops. They do not allow 'cheater' quilts and are quite vocal about that restriction.I was there once and a quilt came up and two older Amish ladies sitting in front of me yelled "Cheater, Cheater!"and the auctioneer had one of the young Amish boys remove it immediately. I was impressed! They also sell bakery items-my husband is going specifically for the donuts! There are antiques and Amish made furniture.People from all over the country attend. It is held on Ola Bontragers farm-She was a dear little old Amish lady who was tragically killed will riding her bike a few years ago. I found out about it one spring auction by one of her friends who came up to me and informed me at the first auction held on her farm without her.Very sad.I thought she was pretty feisty-small and had a deep rich voice. Very sweet lady. I'll post photos next week and hopefully I'll get some good deals on some quilt tops!

Melody
Go to Top of Page

Denise Ann
True Blue Farmgirl

831 Posts

Denise
Shoreview MN
USA
831 Posts

Posted - May 03 2016 :  9:16:23 PM  Show Profile
Melody, enjoy your time at the auction, it sounds really fun. All those quilts, that would be awesome.
Please do post pictures!

Denise Ann
Go to Top of Page

forgetmenot
True Blue Farmgirl

3602 Posts

Judith
Nora Springs IA
USA
3602 Posts

Posted - May 03 2016 :  9:41:03 PM  Show Profile
Oh, Melody, I wish I were right there with you. I can just picture the auction as you described. What is a cheater, please?

Farmgirl sister #3926

"Courage is not the absence of fear, but the belief that something is more important than fear." Ambrose Red Moon
Go to Top of Page

melody
True Blue Farmgirl

3317 Posts

Melody
USA
3317 Posts

Posted - May 03 2016 :  9:48:53 PM  Show Profile
Judith....
"Cheater quilts are printed on a fabric to look like patchwork or applique, a cheater quilt allows you to skip the huge task of doing piecework on a quilt. All you have to do is quilt and bind."

Personally, I never considered piecing a quilt to be a "huge" task...I find that portion of quilting very rewarding because you take the time to lay out your fabric colors and design the block pattern you want.

Melody
Go to Top of Page

forgetmenot
True Blue Farmgirl

3602 Posts

Judith
Nora Springs IA
USA
3602 Posts

Posted - May 04 2016 :  08:21:50 AM  Show Profile
Oh, now, I understand how a "cheater" would be easily spotted. I am surprised someone would enter that in this type of auction. You would think the sewist would understand it would go in a different type of sale. hmmmm.

Farmgirl sister #3926

Go to Top of Page

sherone_13
True Blue Farmgirl

2460 Posts

Sherone
Evanston WY
USA
2460 Posts

Posted - May 04 2016 :  08:49:53 AM  Show Profile
Is this weird.....I just love an old fashioned 9 patch. Simplicity at its finest!

Sherone

Farmgirl Sister #93
My Blog

www.annapearlsattic.blogspot.com

My Etsy

www.etsy.com/shop/annapearlsattic

My Avon

www.youravon.com/sheronetaylor

Women are angels. When someone breaks our wings, we just jump on our broomsticks and fly! We are flexible that way!
Go to Top of Page

melody
True Blue Farmgirl

3317 Posts

Melody
USA
3317 Posts

Posted - May 04 2016 :  09:30:02 AM  Show Profile
The quilts at the auction can fetch a hefty price! At least they did until a few years ago. There is so much copycat stuff coming in from China diminishes the price on really well quilted and crafted quilts done by hand for someone purchasing a quilt and not knowing the kind of effort that is put into one. Someone not too very honest I guess wanting to get a good price and not doing the work....They take local quilters stuff as well as Amish crafted-I've sold a few items. The quilts are supposed to be examined before they are put up on the block-Keen eyes on the part of the little old Amish ladies! Made me smile when I heard them yelling 'Cheater!!" How embarrassing for the person who submitted it huh?

Melody

Melody
Go to Top of Page

forgetmenot
True Blue Farmgirl

3602 Posts

Judith
Nora Springs IA
USA
3602 Posts

Posted - May 04 2016 :  11:12:31 AM  Show Profile
I would definitely think "embarrassing"! Sherone, I definitely am drawn to the simple patches! Although, I am in awe of some intricate quilts they probably would not be my first choice to make or buy. Guess I'm just a simple girl.

Farmgirl sister #3926

Edited by - forgetmenot on May 04 2016 11:13:09 AM
Go to Top of Page

Denise Ann
True Blue Farmgirl

831 Posts

Denise
Shoreview MN
USA
831 Posts

Posted - May 06 2016 :  04:38:46 AM  Show Profile
I think its great they call out the "cheaters". The authentic quilts are so beautiful, and having made a few quilts by hand know the amount of work that goes into making one.

Denise Ann
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

4919 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
4919 Posts

Posted - Jun 13 2016 :  3:00:36 PM  Show Profile
Beautiful. I just bought a layer cake of Williamsburg blue squares. This could work for it.

TexasGran
Let God's light shine through you every day.

Amazon Children's Books, look for my name:Marilyn Robinson Godfrey
Craftsy: patterns for farm stick animals under my name.
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

7479 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
7479 Posts

Posted - Jun 13 2016 :  3:50:54 PM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message
I have one Amish Wall Hanging quilt and 2 table runners that I have purchased. I love and admire the tiny stitches these ladies use when hand quilting a quilt. They are works of art.

I love that star pattern, Melody. And blue and white were my mother's favorite colors. I have a lot of her blue and white fabrics here, and a simple quilt she made of 4-1/2" squares that is all blues and whites. I had it quilted and bound it myself.

Farmgirl hugs,
Farmgirl #1919
Farm Girl of the Month August 2015
Linda O
Lone Oak, TX

"Women are Angels, and when someone breaks our wings, we simply continue to fly . . . on a broomstick - we're flexible, like that."
Go to Top of Page
  Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic Wedding Quilt Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page