Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Across the Fence
 Cleaning the proverbial "slate..."
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Across the Fence: Previous Topic Cleaning the proverbial "slate..." Next Topic  

Libbie
Farmgirl Connection Cultivator

3579 Posts

Anne E.
Elsinore Utah
USA
3579 Posts

Posted - Jan 01 2007 :  12:28:13 PM  Show Profile
Happiest of New Years today to all of you!!! I was lying in bed late last night thinking of all of the things I would like to improve in my life "RIGHT NOW," which caused me to almost go into a panic... So, then I started thinking that maybe taking one step in a positive direction in several areas of my life is a better, more well-rounded and reasonable way to go. So... the areas that I've chosen are:

Physical
Emotional/Spiritual
Family/"the boys"
"Brainpower" - learning things
Creativity
Financial/Business...which overlaps with the next one...
Farm and Garden
and, the Household

Any ideas? How are all of you viewing the grand opportunity of a New Year?

XOXO, Libbie

"Nothing is worth more than this day." - Goethe

therusticcottage
True Blue Farmgirl

4439 Posts

Kay
Vancouver WA
USA
4439 Posts

Posted - Jan 01 2007 :  12:35:26 PM  Show Profile
I started thinking about these things last night! I love the New Year because it is a new slate and we have the opportunity to improve ourselves plus try some new things.

My areas of improvement are:
physical -- 30 minutes of exercise a day and lose some weight
spiritual -- spending more time in prayer
family -- spending more quality time with each other rather than computer, TV, etc
financial -- work towards a savings goal, getting some small debt paid off
business -- farm, garden, and sewing/soapmaking -- coming up with some new ideas

I'm really excited about putting in a market garden this year for veggies and flowers. Am also thinking of getting some animals -- leaning towards a couple of sheep to start off for the fiber.

The Rustic Cottage Etsy Shop http://therusticcottage.etsy.com

She selects wool and flax and works with eager hands -Proverbs 31:13
Go to Top of Page

asnedecor
True Blue Farmgirl

1054 Posts

Anne
Portland Or
USA
1054 Posts

Posted - Jan 01 2007 :  4:20:50 PM  Show Profile
My New Year goals are a bit different this year then the usual. Of course I want to exercise more, get on that bike of mine and start peddling. But the big goal for this year is to seek out financing to redo our upstairs bathroom, buy a new furnace, get a architectural design done for the rest of the house remodeling and pump in insulation into the walls of the house that are not to be torn into. We have been in this old house for 10 years and are only about 1/2 way done with the upgrades and remodels. We have worked hard over the past two years to pay off all loans (car, second mortgage, etc) except the house, which we have done. Now it is time to make the next major moves. Finally got DH on board, so hopefully we can start within the next 3 months. So if all goes well look in the future months for pictures of some remodeling on an old 1912 house.

Anne in Portland

"Weeds are flowers too, once you get to know them" Eyeore from Winnie the Pooh
Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Jan 01 2007 :  10:04:20 PM  Show Profile
every year since hank and i met .. many moons ago .. we write our 'new year's resolutions' .. and on either new year's EVE or new year's DAY .. we take them out . and read LAST year's to see how we did .. and we read our new year's resolutions for the NEW year to each other. (we have also always written 'resolutions' for each other!)

some things on our lists are ever evolving and make it to the NEXT year .. some .. we laugh at .. cuz' we sure didn't GO THERE! .. some we smile and check off the list as an 'accomplishment'.

during these 'freedom years' .. and now that our children are grown .. our lists seem to be full of EACH OTHER more and more with each passing year.

TRAVEL is a biggie for us now .. AFRICA next week .. ISRAEL next year. with lots of 'little trips' in between!

I even put MOSCOW, IDAHO on my 2007 list!!! thought Hank could raft the river and hang out with the guys while i ran to the farm for a 'howdy do' .. or maybe even signing up for a class if they are still going on!

Spending more and more and more time with our chillun and grands was right at the top of the list too!!

As ever continues .. i always add: WRITE .. DRAW ... PAINT ... MAKE DOLLS ... and CREATE!

I did add this year .. to have lots of fun with the Tea Parties that my friends and I are starting to present here in Kentucky.

AND .. YESSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!! to clear out the 'schoolhouse' of treasures .. so that i can turn it into a fun 'guest house' for visitors! (Hank just laughed at that one .. cuz' it's been on the list all three year's i've been here .. and it just gets fuller and fuller and fuller!!!

A new one i put .. and he loved the idea was for us to write a book TOGETHER .. more of a journal of our life and of the children. A 'legacy' for them.

oh .. and to plant ever more gardens here at the farm.

ain't life grande!

True Friends, Frannie

CABIN CREEK FARM
KENTUCKY

Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Jan 01 2007 :  10:06:11 PM  Show Profile
oh .. and gurlz .. i've found that being 'SPECIFIC' about a goal .. and perhaps with a 'time-line' or 'dead-line' .. with some resolutions .. really helps to spur us on .. to plan .. to get to moving with it .. and accomplishing our goal. xo

True Friends, Frannie

CABIN CREEK FARM
KENTUCKY

Go to Top of Page

candismom
True Blue Farmgirl

560 Posts

Elizabeth

560 Posts

Posted - Jan 02 2007 :  01:36:06 AM  Show Profile
I posted mine tonight on my blog. www.athomewithelizabeth.blogspot.com I thought about them over the past month.
Hugs,
Elziabeth
Go to Top of Page

Mumof3
True Blue Farmgirl

3890 Posts

Karin
Ellenwood GA
USA
3890 Posts

Posted - Jan 02 2007 :  06:37:30 AM  Show Profile
I have found that if I decide to make resolutions I don't keep up with them. Life just seems to get in the way. So this year I resolved to not make any. I have a plan in place that seems to fit what I want to accomplish and I have given myself plenty of time to see it through to completion. No stress, and I have not set myself up for failure (or a guilt complex) by including anyone else in on it. :) I admire people who can make resolutions and see them through to the end. I just am not one of them.

Karin

Edited by - Mumof3 on Jan 02 2007 06:38:18 AM
Go to Top of Page

Bridge
True Blue Farmgirl

814 Posts

Bridgette
Southern Indiana
USA
814 Posts

Posted - Jan 02 2007 :  2:28:43 PM  Show Profile
Well I kept thinking I would make a list of resolutions.............
I still have not, I have thought about it a little [one of them being to not procrastinate ;)]

So no resolutions for me this year...........
I am just going to try to do my best at everything I belive in!!

~~Bridge's Boutique~~
Go to Top of Page

Mag
True Blue Farmgirl

144 Posts

Margaret
Mount Vernon OH
USA
144 Posts

Posted - Jan 02 2007 :  4:19:54 PM  Show Profile
I have 2 resolutions this year,
live simpler with a few less time distractions such as TV (we are getting rid of it but I haven't watched it in a quite few months anyway, the hubby likes to watch college football but would also not mind listening to the radio for that).
Really jumping into our small business start up, planning a large garden to sell veggies at the farmers market and working on photography to sell prints on line.

I hope all of your dreams and resolutions are fruitful this year!

Peace
Go to Top of Page

happymama58
True Blue Farmgirl

1210 Posts

Patti
Missouri
USA
1210 Posts

Posted - Jan 02 2007 :  4:22:50 PM  Show Profile
In the past, I've made my resolutions on August 1 -- as a teacher, my new year began then -- and I would make one resolution for each area of my life -- spiritual, physical, home, etc. But my life has changed so dramatically since April that I decided to change how I do resolutions, too.

So, I made ONE resolution that I think will cover everything, and I'm not really calling it a resolution. I've made a commitment to develop a closer walk with God, doing my best to follow His will in every way.

Goodness knows, I'll mess up (already have), but I'm trying to live more simply, more basically, just doing one thing, deliberately and with care, at a time. I'm not explaining this very well, but I hope you get the idea.

Some people search for happiness; others create it.

http://happymama58.typepad.com/my_weblog/

Please visit me at www.marykay.com/pmiinch
Go to Top of Page

FarmGirl~K
True Blue Farmgirl

512 Posts

Kelly
TX
USA
512 Posts

Posted - Jan 02 2007 :  5:38:21 PM  Show Profile
Happy New Year to you!

You are right, it is so nice to start with a clean slate. This year I would like to strengthen my relationship with God, lose weight, work on finances, & get organized. I actually have 10 items on my list... some are for my Dh & I to work on together. Though he doesn't know it yet) It seems every year I stay in that same old rut. Doing the same thing every day & it turns into the year. This year it's my plan to do something new with the same resolutions I have had for years.

My sister sent this website to me: www.flylady.net
It is a site that helps you get organized & has a schedule for helping you get your house clean. One of her motto's is "You can do anything for 15 minutes" I would like to apply those principles to all of my resolutions. Working at them a little at a time until they become habit. Doing these will help me on the road to achieving another goal... getting that farm that has only been a dream so far. Yahoo!! Ready for that day!!

Sorry to be long winded! I hope you all are successful with your resolutions. I know I can home here if I need some encouraging. Let's check in sometime in the future & see how we are all doing.

Live! Laugh! Love!
Go to Top of Page

Annab
True Blue Farmgirl

2900 Posts

Anna
Seagrove NC
USA
2900 Posts

Posted - Jan 02 2007 :  5:42:59 PM  Show Profile
I want to continue to be as genuine as I can, and to listen more rather than make a hasty backhanded reply.

I love deeply, but tend to judge harshly

This year I won't let the weeds get the upper hand in the garden (yea right)

With the addition of a new puppy, I'll get out w/ her and spread joy to others

A good friend and coworker will retire in August. I'll model myself after this individual and try for the 4th time for a promotion.

Even though there is a lot of negativity, I'll not let it effect my personal and home life.

I praise God for my being able to live in the country and for the peace and serentiy it provides. I'm also eternally grateful for a Christ-centered spouse to whom this land has been passed down .

I can't wait for blackberry season and look forward to packing the freezer full to capacity again.

Family time in Florida w/ brother will be priceless, so will his second-much happier wedding in May

Blessings to you all I feel richer for being able to share in other people's lives, reading their advice and being able to pray with and for those who need it

Go to Top of Page

FarmGirl~K
True Blue Farmgirl

512 Posts

Kelly
TX
USA
512 Posts

Posted - Jan 02 2007 :  5:48:21 PM  Show Profile
Frannie...

I like your journal for the grandkids idea. I have started putting something similar together for my MIL & FIL to fill out & add to. I have a lot of the Q&A part done, I am just trying to figure out how to put it all together so that it looks nice and isn't huge. I would like to compile it into one book with both of their stories.

My plan is to make copies of them, decorate them, & give them to all of their grandkids. There are 8 of them to do. I know there are books out there that are already made to fill out, I just wanted it to be homemade & more personal. I like the fact that the info on the pages will be the same for each & in their grandparents own writing, but I can make each one look unique.

Please keep us posted on your progress.

Live! Laugh! Love!
Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic Cleaning the proverbial "slate..." Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page